PDA

View Full Version : Bears struggling on OL and DL

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Reading through Bears forums, the DL hasn't been "pulling their weight" and the OL has been suspect.

Our OL has looked greatly improved in the running game and even without Raji, our front 7 is more stout than a year ago. Physically, this should be a game that goes to the Packers. Then it comes down to QB's and skill players. I'll take Rodgers and company over Cutler and his crew any day.

I know we want to win this game. In a strange sense, we need to win this game, but I think we're the better team. We're tougher. We're more dangerous. IMO we're better coached with the addition of Capers to McCarthy's staff.

Raji or no Raji, I think we can take the Bears. The worst thing we can do is hobble Raji out there on a bum ankle and lose him for half the season or more because of a stupid reinjury. Let's take Jenkins, Jolly, Pickett and Wynn (as a situational interior rusher) into Lambeau and kick the Bears ass.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 11:44 AM
The worst thing we can do is hobble Raji out there on a bum ankle and lose him for half the season or more because of a stupid reinjury.

I think the premise of this thread is excellent and then, you make the above observation, which you are merely repeating from a different thread.

Why is this necessary??

I think they will play Raji and Harrell if they feel they can go. After all, those guys get paid as much as you and I in a year per game. Like SC said, rub some dirt on it and play!!

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 12:00 PM
No. It would be idiotic to run Raji out there. I was looking at Web MD and other medical sites. The right thing to do with an ankle sprain is to let it rest for 4-6 weeks. With regular treatment, you can get by with a little less.

Jolly had a sprain in the beginning of TC. Just like I read on line, the best treatment is a lot of rest (a protective boot), then walking, then slowly working up to more strenuous activity until all pain has subsided. Typically this will take 4-6 weeks, but a young man using the best treatment, the best diet and in great health can probably beat this time table. Jolly did it in about 3 weeks and is 100 percent now. That's what we need to do with Raji.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 12:03 PM
There's a Raji thread to discuss Raji.

Would you like to discuss the Bear's OL and DL on this thread, Nick?

Brandon494
09-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I agree it would be stupid to rush him out there and have him hurt himself even more. Its a long season, you dont freaking rub dirt on a sprain ankle of a 340+ guy and expect everything to be fine.

Brandon494
09-05-2009, 12:05 PM
There's a Raji thread to discuss Raji.

Would you like to discuss the Bear's OL and DL on this thread, Nick?

What have you said concerning the Bear's OL and DL on this thread? Stop making a big deal out of nothing man.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 12:08 PM
How 'bout dem Bears? I am hearing that Tommie Harris is a shell of his former self, and that the O-line is, the Bears are hoping, serviceable.

And - this is off thread topic - the Bears' secondary sure ain't what it used to be, either.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Thank you Brandon 494. I know a lot more about the Bear's OL and DL since you posted.

Brandon494
09-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Thank you Brandon 494. I know a lot more about the Bear's OL and DL since you posted.

Your welcome, your bitching has really helped me understand more about the Bears OL and DL as well. :roll:

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Brandon 494, I have no beef with you. I don't even know you, so I won't offer you much more attention. If I say anything here, it's usually to people I've known for many years. Believe me when I say, Nick can defend himself, he doesn't need you.

So, thanks for the well intentioned advice. And, all the best to you, mate.

mraynrand
09-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Was there a thread about Chicago losing Jones for the season - due to and ANKLE INJURY!!!?

http://ballhype.com/story/bears-rb-jones-out-for-season-after-injuring-left/

Bossman641
09-05-2009, 12:41 PM
This game can't come quick enough for me. I am sick of hearing Bear fans go on and on how Cutler is such a savior and how he is so much better than Rodgers. They shut up pretty quick though when you mention that Marshall and Royal at wr is a hell of a lot better than Hester and Bennett or whatever trash they want to throw out there. But then they just start in with how great Olsen is. :evil:

Fritz
09-05-2009, 02:06 PM
For the first time in a while, I feel like the Pack can match up in the trenches with da Bears.

ThunderDan
09-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Orlando Pace is a fraction of what he was at his prime. I watched the Denver/Chicago game and he got beat by the low speed rush all night.

Dabaddestbear
09-05-2009, 02:55 PM
About time you guys talk about some rival football!

Well I do have concerns about the Bears defensive line and secondary, because it is still a question mark or sorts. None of our starting CB's have played during the entire pre-season due to injuries until one series in the last game of the preseason. So it should be interesting to see what they have in game one.
But the O-line has been real solid. It stood up to the Giants front four very well, and blew them off the ball consistently. And no one will ever compare the Packers D-linemen to that of the Giants. Our second year high draft pick tackle was blowing Tuck off the ball all night!
Yes, Pace was getting beat in the Denver game, but still did not give up a sack. Besides that Denver game was like a playoff game for Denver. They were playing with some real intensity. Even coaches on both sides of the ball said they had never been involved in a pre-season game like that one.

Kevin Jones is out for the season with an ankle injury suffered in the last preseason game, that requires surgery.

I think the Packers O-line will have trouble stopping the Bears running game and play-action to the TE's. Especially if Olsen is lined up int he same side as Hester. That will mean a Safety will either have to give help to the corner over the top to defend Hester's speed, or try and come down in the box to cover Olsen who can easily out muscle them out for a jump ball.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 03:01 PM
I think the Packers O-line will have trouble stopping the Bears running game and play-action to the TE's. Especially if Olsen is lined up int he same side as Hester. That will mean a Safety will either have to give help to the corner over the top to defend Hester's speed, or try and come down in the box to cover Olsen who can easily out muscle them out for a jump ball.

Forgive me if I'm not, at all, worried about your passing game. Let's put it this way, our defense will be able to stop your defense better than yours will ours.

We win.

Dabaddestbear
09-05-2009, 03:28 PM

Forgive me if I'm not, at all, worried about your passing game. Let's put it this way, our defense will be able to stop your defense better than yours will ours.

We win.
And as an opposing teams fan, I understand that most will not respect the Bears passing game regardless who is the QB, that is until they are proving people wrong. One week to start doing so. I cant wait!

pack4to84
09-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I think the Packers O-line will have trouble stopping the Bears running game and play-action to the TE's. Especially if Olsen is lined up int he same side as Hester. That will mean a Safety will either have to give help to the corner over the top to defend Hester's speed, or try and come down in the box to cover Olsen who can easily out muscle them out for a jump ball.Why would our OL have trouble stopping your running game? they don't lineup against each other.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 03:34 PM

We win.
And as an opposing teams fan, I understand that most will not respect the Bears passing game regardless who is the QB, that is until they are proving people wrong. One week to start doing so. I cant wait!

:bs:

retailguy
09-05-2009, 07:58 PM

We win.

I understand the point you're making, JH, but do you realize that the preseason packers gave up more points than any other team in the north? The Packers new defense is not a "sure thing" at this point.

falco
09-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Forgive me if I'm not, at all, worried about your passing game.

The Packers new defense is not a "sure thing" at this point.

Come on guys.... this thread is about the Bears OL/DL, not their passing game or our defense. Stay on topic...mates. :roll:

The Leaper
09-05-2009, 08:07 PM
The Packers have not matched up well to Chicago in the past, but I think this is the year that pendulum swings. The development of Finley really will give fits to the Bear defense...we finally have a serious deep threat at the TE position who can split the seam and create havoc on crossing routes. Their secondary is lame...and Rodgers is poised to have a huge 2nd year with some experience under his belt.

Offensively, the Bears have a great RB and little else. Cutler is OK, but he has no one to throw to. Green Bay should win this by 10-13 points if they take care of the ball and have a good aggressive gameplan offensively.

The Leaper
09-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Come on guys.... this thread is about the Bears OL/DL, not their passing game or our defense. Stay on topic...mates. :roll:

Who the hell wants to talk about the Bears lame ass OL/DL situation. What's next? Discussing the Lions special teams?

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I understand the point you're making, JH, but do you realize that the preseason packers gave up more points than any other team in the north? The Packers new defense is not a "sure thing" at this point.

1st team only gave up 13 points, probably fewest in the NFC North. I know what you're saying though. . .

I trust Capers. I like having Jenkins and Raji added in the trenches. That's a big difference. I like the way our defense mixes it up. Not a sure thing, true, but you know me, I'm not afraid to be wrong. I think they're going to be good. I think they'll play well enough to beat Chicago right out of the gate.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I love the matchup against their defense. We're going to be a better running team and they're weak up front. We're an elite passing team and their weak in the secondary (and up front so they won't get a pass rush).

I think Rodgers is going to have his way with Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised if we put up 40 points on that defense.

falco
09-05-2009, 08:19 PM

1st team only gave up 13 points, probably fewest in the NFC North. I know what you're saying though. . .

I trust Capers. I like having Jenkins and Raji added in the trenches. That's a big difference. I like the way our defense mixes it up. Not a sure thing, true, but you know me, I'm not afraid to be wrong. I think they're going to be good. I think they'll play well enough to beat Chicago right out of the gate.

Agree with you JH. When it mattered, the defense was dominant.

retailguy
09-05-2009, 08:28 PM

Agree with you JH. When it mattered, the defense was dominant.

I have high hopes that the defense will be greatly improved. However, that being said, no one has game planned yet for this defense. They haven't done it for 60 minutes yet either.

Chicago is certainly declining in terms of both age and talent, but, their defense has been proven over many seasons and they aren't dead yet..

I'm just sayin', don't count the damn chickens yet. We've got a long season ahead, and improved teams in the North....

Let's play some games first!

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm gonna place a couple bets on the Packers this year. I think they're very underrated. I think they're going to shock and awe this year. Best team since the SB IMO. But I could be wrong and I'll lose a couple hundred bucks if I am.

Dabaddestbear
09-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I think the Packers O-line will have trouble stopping the Bears running game and play-action to the TE's. Especially if Olsen is lined up int he same side as Hester. That will mean a Safety will either have to give help to the corner over the top to defend Hester's speed, or try and come down in the box to cover Olsen who can easily out muscle them out for a jump ball.Why would our OL have trouble stopping your running game? they don't lineup against each other.
My screw up...lol. I meant to say D-Line. :oops:

Lurker64
09-05-2009, 08:41 PM
My screw up...lol. I meant to say D-Line. :oops:

If it makes you feel any better, I also think the Packers O-line would have trouble stopping the Bears running game, but not as much trouble as the Bears O-line would have stopping the Packers running game.

Unfortunately, we will never know....

Dabaddestbear
09-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm gonna place a couple bets on the Packers this year. I think they're very underrated. I think they're going to shock and awe this year. Best team since the SB IMO. But I could be wrong and I'll lose a couple hundred bucks if I am.
Well at least for week one people have more confidence in them over the Bears. So the Bears are the underdogs here. Needless to say I am putting a few down on the Bears in week one.

The Shadow
09-05-2009, 09:11 PM
How 'bout dem Bears? I am hearing that Tommie Harris is a shell of his former self, and that the O-line is, the Bears are hoping, serviceable.

And - this is off thread topic - the Bears' secondary sure ain't what it used to be, either.

Exactly right.
I live down in Bears territory, and have seen Tommie Harris. Where once he had a tremendous first step, the best way to now describe that first step is 'lumbering'.
Also watched the O-line. Pace looks old and slow - and, with the exception of Kreutz and perhaps Garza (a very average-at-best type), the rest of the line appears, to be kind, suspect.
The secondary - esp. without Tillman - is extremely shaky. Losing Mike Brown was a tremendous hit.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 10:02 PM
They think Cutler is the magic remedy. They will be wrong. Football is a team sport. Their TEAM is getting worse even if their QB got better.

retailguy
09-05-2009, 10:05 PM
They think Cutler is the magic remedy. They will be wrong. Football is a team sport. Their TEAM is getting worse even if their QB got better.

Huh? Did you watch Cutler play in Denver? How can you say they regressed?

I don't see them as "better" yet, but at this point, there is no evidence to show the team got worse.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Their DL is aging and declining
Their OL is aging and declining
Their secondary is very thin
Their WR's are very thin

Their QB got better.

They think that is the answer. OK. I don't think it will be. Football is a team sport.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 10:31 PM
The Packers remind me of the 2006 Chargers. They were a young, up and coming team that year. The were tearing through the regular season and tearing through the playoffs before they lost to the cheaters on a mistake late in the game.

I remember that year, the Chargers starters kicked our ass in the preseason, I remember reading about how physical they were, how impressive they were. The quotes remind me exactly of what teams have said about the Packers this year. Same situation, similar age team rising, same strength coach (redding is with us now).

The Bears are the opposite. They're an aging team at a lot of important positions. Football is a young man's game. The Bears will get beat up and beat down by the Packers. 2009 is going to be shock and awe and it will start on week 1 with the aging Bears.

mmmdk
09-05-2009, 10:32 PM
...you know that expression "Zebras sans stripes"?
I think we're looking at "Bears with no fur - at all" !

retailguy
09-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Their WR's are very thin

Their QB got better.

They think that is the answer. OK. I don't think it will be. Football is a team sport.

In my opinion, you're overestimating the impact of the OL and de-emphasizing the impact of the skills positions. Forte is a flat out stud, might be the best power running back in the league. The TE is solid if not spectacular, and if Cutler has time, he'll make the most of the mediocre WR's. If the OL struggles, the coaches can focus on roll outs or better utilization of the FB or the backup TE, and offense might look like the Packers circa 2002, when the "best" receiver they had was Terry Glenn.

As to the defense, are you intentionally forgetting about Rod Marinelli? He was an integral part of the Tampa defense in it's heydey, and oh yeah, they still run that Tampa 2 in Chicago.

I agree with you that the secondary is suspect, but if the front 7 is still capable of penetration, then, that secondary won't be fully exposed.

are they beatable? Sure. Are they a bad team? No. Nothing indicates that.

Put the kool-aid down.

mmmdk
09-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Their WR's are very thin

Their QB got better.

Put the kool-aid down.

:cow: NO ! Thirsty too !!

retailguy
09-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Their WR's are very thin

Their QB got better.

Put the kool-aid down.

enjoy but don't get drunk. You lose rationality, that doesn't help with the mood swings during the tough weeks.

This is going to be a long year. It could be a very great year, but it isn't going to be easy.

mmmdk
09-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Their WR's are very thin

Their QB got better.

Put the kool-aid down.

enjoy but don't get drunk. You lose rationality, that doesn't help with the mood swings during the tough weeks.

This is going to be a long year. It could be a very great year, but it isn't going to be easy.

So true but I'm easy! That didn't come out right - I feel so cheap :rs:

RashanGary
09-06-2009, 08:33 AM
The Bears are that classic team trying to hold on while it slips away. Decent? yeah. Scary? No.

The Vikings are a bigger challenge. They're not dropping off yet. They're right in their primes. They made the playoffs last year with Gus Frerrotte. If Favre is even slightly below average, they should be a really tough team. Favre is going to have to be the single worst QB in the NFL for that team not to make the playoffs, or serious injury.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Well at least for week one people have more confidence in them over the Bears. So the Bears are the underdogs here. Needless to say I am putting a few down on the Bears in week one.

We should just save the juice and bet amongst each other then. I love the Packers -3 because at the very worst I could see a push happening. However, the line is now 3.5 so unless I buy the hook I might stay away. There are better matchups on the board sunday. I'm pretty confident the Packers can take this by 4 or more, as you can tell, I'm pretty back and forth on this game right now. In the end I might just put a small homer on my team and enjoy the game.

CaptainKickass
09-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Their WR's are very thin

Their QB got better.

Put the kool-aid down.

http://theslimypeanut.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/400px-kool-aid_man_destroys_earth.png