PDA

View Full Version : Brohm cut

pack4to84
09-05-2009, 03:36 PM
The Green Bay Packers were looking for a young backup to Aaron Rodgers in last year’s draft and the one they were not counting on has won out again.

This time it cost Brian Brohm a spot on the roster.

Multiple league sources indicate that the Packers will place Brohm on waivers. The second-round pick from Louisville a year ago struggled in preseason, and was beaten out for the No. 2 job last year by Matt Flynn, a seventh-round pick from LSU in 2008.

In a final effort, Brohm completed 20-of-28 passes Thursday night at Tennessee for 154 yards. He was not picked off and didn’t throw for a score in directing the offense to one touchdown and two field goals. But it was mostly short stuff that he threw.

He finished preseason 39-for-62 for 300 yards with no touchdowns, three interceptions and a passer rating of 54.5. His 4.8 yards per attempt is indicative of the struggles he had.

The Packers have been rumored to be in the market for a quarterback. It was thought they might make a play for Kevin O’Connell after he was cut loose in New England, but they did not make a claim for him. Luke McCown has been mentioned as a possibility but indications are he will remain in Tampa Bay. Green Bay investigated signing Michael Vick.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Sources-say-Packers-will-release-Brohm.html

I think this one needs it own thread. If need to delete go ahead.

RashanGary
09-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I think this is another example of Ted's ego. Once he takes a player high, he will set out to prove that pick at all costs ;)

Lurker64
09-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Honestly, I think he'll end up on our practice squad, unless the team has totally given up on him. For a team looking for a QB, the UFL has a lot of better ones than Brian Brohm...

No way anybody puts a waiver claim on him. There's something seriously wrong him him. Not his physical ability, or his arm, but his head. He just doesn't have "it", whatever "it" is and he's obviously deficient as a leader.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I had hoped they'd seen enough progress to give the guy another year.

And no team lets go of a second year second round pick easily, so I can only surmise that the coaches really, really just didn't see evidence that Brohm could make the transition to the NFL.

That and I think Flynn's injury might be worse than stated. If the Pack brings in a veteran backup, then to me that means that Flynn is hurt pretty badly. If they bring in another raw young guy, then Flynn must be okay.

pack4to84
09-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I had hoped they'd seen enough progress to give the guy another year.

And no team lets go of a second year second round pick easily, so I can only surmise that the coaches really, really just didn't see evidence that Brohm could make the transition to the NFL.

That and I think Flynn's injury might be worse than stated. If the Pack brings in a veteran backup, then to me that means that Flynn is hurt pretty badly. If they bring in another raw young guy, then Flynn must be okay.Thinking the same thing.

***Update***
He has been waived.

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/3785346603

Pugger
09-05-2009, 03:54 PM
My goodness! :shock: That's too bad. I wonder who TT will get to take his place? We sure as heck can't go with only 2 QBs! Maybe Brohm can sneak onto the PS?

Fritz
09-05-2009, 03:56 PM
So are they going with two quarterbacks, or does Ted have a plan?

Cuz if they are going to have three QB's you gotta think Teets wasn't going to waive Brohm unless he had someone else definitely in mind - someone he thinks he can get.

I'm wondering if we're going to hear of a trade, or if maybe Thompson's going to try for Chase Daniels.

Or - and if this happens it means, to me, that Flynn is hurt pretty bad - Thompson will get a grizzled veteran. Or maybe an ungrizzled one. But you get the idea.

KYPack
09-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Holy shitskies!

Just had a horrible thought.

If TJack is on his way, I may become a fag, or something.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm sorry, but with your avatar and name and all, KY, the picture of the Colonel getting his black horned-rim glasses sprayed in one of Skin's threads in the Garbage Can is cracking me up.

But still - don't do it. Go for "or something" instead.

Lurker64
09-05-2009, 04:00 PM

Well, the Vikes just cut Booty (http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/3785207701) so you might have just dodged a bullet on that one.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 04:01 PM
You're saved, KY. Your heterosexuality is preserved.

digitaldean
09-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Holy shitskies!

If I see a rainbow behind your Col. Sanders avatar instead of the beloved G logo, then I'd be concerned.... :lol:

KYPack
09-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm sorry, but with your avatar and name and all, KY, the picture of the Colonel getting his black horned-rim glasses sprayed in one of Skin's threads in the Garbage Can is cracking me up.

But still - don't do it. Go for "or something" instead.

Lurk says I'm OK.

Yer right, it can't happen, I wouldn't know how to act.

Oh no! what if it's Harrington!!!!!!!!!!

Get this mess cleaned up by the time I'm back from walking the dogs!

pbmax
09-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Holy shitskies!

And here I thought I had gone off the deep end message boarding roster cuts all day long!?

Fosco33
09-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Hope TT knows a vet QB who he's got lined up...

Pugger
09-05-2009, 04:06 PM
If we get TJax you'll be able to knock me over with a feather! I just can't imagin MN trading this guy to US. What # should we give him if he comes, 4? :wink:

vince
09-05-2009, 04:10 PM
McCown or Johnson is likely to hit the street in Tampa...

Fritz
09-05-2009, 04:37 PM
If the rumor in the other thread is true - Packers to keep three FB's - then that extra spot has got to come from somewhere - the quarterback position, perhaps?

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I think the cutting of Brohm was a needed cleansing. Like a forest fire in the prairie.

Fosco33
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Maybe AJ Feely?

MJZiggy
09-05-2009, 04:40 PM
It's Booty, I'm telling you!

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2009, 04:41 PM
It's Booty, I'm telling you!

he can teach the packers some of Favre's secrets

Pugger
09-05-2009, 04:50 PM
If the rumor in the other thread is true - Packers to keep three FB's - then that extra spot has got to come from somewhere - the quarterback position, perhaps?

Unless we keep 3 HBs and 3FBs? :?:

packerbacker1234
09-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I am glad to see a mistake get admitted, but Brohm has proven more then Justin Harrell has. At least Brohm could suite up.

*sigh*

Oh well, Hopefully flynn is good to go. He's looked pretty good whne he's been out there and it takes one bad shot to Rodgers to need that backup to come through.

Fosco33
09-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Packers tried to trade Brohm but got no takers. Didn't try hard to move C Scott Wells.
http://twitter.com/RobDemovsky

KYPack
09-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Maybe AJ Feely?

Could be, Fos.

When Vick gets re-instated, the Eagles have to cut one QB.

They will try to trade Feely, if we are going "all-in", it might be to us.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Here's the nickname:

AJ "Touchy" Feeley.

mmmdk
09-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Jeff Garcia? Just cut from Raiders.

Fritz
09-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I am not a Garcia fan, at all. He's a whiner and a blamer. I watched him when he was in Detroit.

mmmdk
09-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I am not a Garcia fan, at all. He's a whiner and a blamer. I watched him when he was in Detroit.

Not a fan either but 2 QBs are running it a wee bit thin.

mmmdk
09-05-2009, 07:05 PM
...Joey Harrington anyone? :roll:

boiga
09-05-2009, 07:09 PM

It will depend on whether Brohm clears waivers I think. Having two QB's plus one on the PS is fairly standard.

mmmdk
09-05-2009, 07:12 PM

It will depend on whether Brohm clears waivers I think. Having two QB's plus one on the PS is fairly standard.

True. Brohm probably won't clear waivers as he's still a "name". Brohm will be a Saint or a Ram - just a hunch.

rbaloha1
09-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Brohm=Practice Squad

Badgerinmaine
09-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I'd take him over Brohm at this point...

oregonpackfan
09-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Harrington at least has game day experience. He is still relatively young. I think he is around 31 years old.

BZnDallas
09-05-2009, 09:43 PM
if Garcia is available i would think he is the best available... i agree he can be a whinny lil bitch sometimes but if he has weapons the guy can fling the ball... i'd say go get him, again if he is available...

mmmdk
09-05-2009, 09:52 PM

Harrington at least has game day experience. He is still relatively young. I think he is around 31 years old.

I'm pretty happy with Rodgers & Flynn. A # 3 QB will be added sooner than later though if Brohm doesn't go elsewhere and ends on the Packer PS (or some other young PS eligible QB for that matter).

I liked the talent of Joey early in his career but now I'm not so sure!

pittstang5
09-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I think Ingle Martin is available.