PDA

View Full Version : Those that played football.....

GrnBay007
09-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Did your Mom freak out when you came home bruised and battered? :?

My son has been playing tackle football since 3rd grade. Wasn't so bad back then.....little bodies can't inflict too much pain. He's in 8th now....big difference this year and I'm sure more to come in HS.

How does Mommy cope with seeing her baby all banged up?

Little Whiskey
09-05-2009, 08:35 PM
you don't coup. your job is to worry about him. his dad's job is to tell him to rub some dirt on it.

oregonpackfan
09-05-2009, 09:32 PM
No, my Mom didn't show me any sympathy when I came home from football as a kid. I was the oldest of 9 kids. I was the least of her worries.

There was one game I played on a very muddy field. My "badge of honor" pride of appearing at the doorstep in a mud-spattered uniform was shattered when she made me strip to my athletic supporter before I entered the house!

I can still hear the snickers of my sisters in my ears as I hurried by to the shower. :oops:

ThunderDan
09-05-2009, 09:34 PM

My son has been playing tackle football since 3rd grade. Wasn't so bad back then.....little bodies can't inflict too much pain. He's in 8th now....big difference this year and I'm sure more to come in HS.

My mom never showed it even when I had to go to the hospital to get x-rayed. Had my ribs cracked, man that hurts!!!

pbmax
09-05-2009, 11:22 PM

You're son will let you know when he is ready to look out for himself. He may have already.

My Mother wanted to line my uniform with plastic garbage bags (like a poncho) to keep me from getting soaked when I had a game in a downpour. My Father and I agreed until she tried to put plastic bags on my feet to keep me from catching my death of cold. :lol:

We demonstrated that plastic covering cotton socks inside a shoe was dangerous (like skating while wearing your shoes) and she eventually relented and gave up her job as equipment manager and left it to me to decide. You'll know.

MJZiggy
09-06-2009, 06:12 AM
No, my Mom didn't show me any sympathy when I came home from football as a kid. I was the oldest of 9 kids. I was the least of her worries.

There was one game I played on a very muddy field. My "badge of honor" pride of appearing at the doorstep in a mud-spattered uniform was shattered when she made me strip to my athletic supporter before I entered the house!

I can still hear the snickers of my sisters in my ears as I hurried by to the shower. :oops: She could at least have given you a towel...

Tarlam!
09-06-2009, 06:49 AM
I love this thread!!!!

Let the kid play. He'll know when it's over for him.

I love Seven. I wish I had her.

GrnBay007
09-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Awwe :oops:

:hug:

GrnBay007
09-06-2009, 01:43 PM
His favorite position is corner but he's not getting to play it that much. He's playing QB and needless to say the OL is not very good so far.....lol

Deputy Nutz
09-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Mom always told me that if it was to tough to quit.

Being a single mom probably is a little tough in those situations. Dad's or husbands need to be there telling mom "not to get too worried, he will be fine."

Don't worry, he will be fine. Very few kids die playing football.

GrnBay007
09-07-2009, 09:59 PM

No way do I want him to quit. Just get a lil freaked out by all the marks and deep bruises he comes home with.

Today I purchased something that I hope will ease my mind. My co-worker who's son plays HS QB bought one for her son and he really likes it. Kinda pricey (49) but if it helps, well worth it. It's called a HexPad. It's a compression shirt with padding around the ribs and back.

Feel kinda bad for him. Although mom would love to see him play QB, it's not the position he really wanted. He played it last year and was placed right back there this year, I guess because he's tall and has a good arm. As time goes on he seems to be getting into it. Hope he has a good year. First game in 1 week.

GrnBay007
09-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Nutz, I don't understand your Avatar, but it makes me want to send you a care package of food!!

...and a razor.

Little Whiskey
09-08-2009, 08:08 AM
007, tell him that the QB gets all the fame, credit, and chicks.

Deputy Nutz
09-08-2009, 08:50 AM

No way do I want him to quit. Just get a lil freaked out by all the marks and deep bruises he comes home with.

Today I purchased something that I hope will ease my mind. My co-worker who's son plays HS QB bought one for her son and he really likes it. Kinda pricey (49) but if it helps, well worth it. It's called a HexPad. It's a compression shirt with padding around the ribs and back.

Feel kinda bad for him. Although mom would love to see him play QB, it's not the position he really wanted. He played it last year and was placed right back there this year, I guess because he's tall and has a good arm. As time goes on he seems to be getting into it. Hope he has a good year. First game in 1 week.

At this age, that shirt works fine, but it offers nothing at the next level. He will get a rib protector that attaches to the shoulder pads and then buckles around the torso. He should wear one of these especially if he is in a passing offense, if he runs a lot as a QB(option or Veer) then he will probably not wear one.

Like I tell my buddies, not a lot of need for white kids in the secondary at the next level. Have him concentrate on QB especially if he is tall and has a good arm. Google QB camps and send him to a couple. Jeff Trickey who is from my home town runs one of the best camps strictly for QBs in the country.

Little Whiskey
09-08-2009, 10:14 AM
it's not the position he really wanted.

what is his position of choice? if its a def. spot, maybe he can play both. iron man football. double the bruises though.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2009, 02:19 PM

No, but I did.

The one thing I remember about football is your whole body was one giant bruise, especially in the first month or so. Your skin toughens-up and doesn't bruise as easily later in the season.

Playing the games was a blast. But mostly I remember everybody was overjoyed when the season finally ended, the practices are such drudgery.

Soccer looks like much more fun to me than football. Football practice was just a series of Vince Lombardi-inspired drills and a lot of yelling. We never actually played football in practice except in very rare scrimmages. Evidently playing football is too dangerous to do.

Little Whiskey
09-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Soccer looks like much more fun to me than football.

you were serious when you said your fav part of skin's video was the shift into high gear.

GrnBay007
09-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Game plan changed this past week.....now playing WR on O and switching (?) DE and corner on D. He was happy to leave QB (I was a lil bummed but kept it to myself...lol) He should do well at WR. He's fast and can catch about anything....has had many years of a not so accurate mom throwing passes to him....lol First game Tuesday!! :D

Scott Campbell
09-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Game plan changed this past week.....now playing WR on O and switching (?) DE and corner on D. He was happy to leave QB (I was a lil bummed but kept it to myself...lol) He should do well at WR. He's fast and can catch about anything....has had many years of a not so accurate mom throwing passes to him....lol First game Tuesday!! :D

Can you throw the deep out route with some zip?

GrnBay007
09-13-2009, 08:56 AM

Can you throw the deep out route with some zip?

Deep is not real deep....lol But I throw a nice spiral. :P

SnakeLH2006
09-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Snake came home with tons of bruises/bloody noses/ripped up elbows in POPS and HS football...My mom was really concerned...My Dad was proud.

AKA Mom's don't be concerned at that point. This shit happens. It's a badge of excellence/courageousness.

GrnBay007
09-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Lost the first game 20-8. ....they were pretty happy though because they played well and this was more points then they scored all year last year...LOL He had 4 receptions and 2 kick off returns. No dropped passes. :D