PDA

View Full Version : JEFF GARCIA

Bretsky
09-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Why would we not bring this guy in ?

Is he a locker room cancer or just a bad guy ? Seems like he'd done well for several teams lately but keep getting a bad deal..........or is it his character ?

To me he was clearly the QB in Oakland that gave them a shot to win. And they ax'd him.

He seems like the proto type backup QB for a winning team. You can bring him in for a few games and he can win.

Thoughts ?

falco
09-06-2009, 08:57 AM
You only want him here because of his smoking hot girlfriend.

pbmax
09-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Fritz said he was a whiner and complainer while in Detroit. He played very well in Philly and fans were clamoring for him to stay over McNabb, but he got pushed out of the door. Then Tampa boots him.

I can't tell you what it is but that is not a good track record. And he has apparently not been happy as backup as Philly or Tampa would have kept him.

SkinBasket
09-06-2009, 09:10 AM
I think his only problem is he usually plays better than whichever QB the team wants to be the starter.

DonHutson
09-06-2009, 09:27 AM
The problem is that he's been good enough to start, but he's too old to be a viable long term option. Therefore, it's been a while since he's been on a team that really wanted him to start.

I think he'd be a very good pick up. He should know going in he has no chance to start, so he shouldn't be too upset when he doesn't play. I'd certainly rather pick Garcia up off the street than give up a draft pick for McCown from Tampa.

Bretsky
09-06-2009, 09:39 AM

BUSTED :!: :!:

But hontestly if AROD goes down Garcia could win some games while he recovers.

But if he's a bad chemistry guy you pass

He outperformed Russell in the pre-season but if he was any part of a divided locker room I can see why he was cut

gbgary
09-06-2009, 09:54 AM
i think he'd be a great back-up if he's willing to take the roll without complaint. never heard anyone say anything negative about him except that stupid T.O.

vince
09-06-2009, 09:59 AM
I'd be OK with Garcia, even though I think TT/MM have confidence in Flynn and will ride with him as #2.

Fred's Slacks
09-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Depends on what they see Flynn's role being. I say only pick him up if you still see Flynn as a developmental type and not a ready backup that can help you win. If Flynn is ready, no need to use that roster spot on another back up type. Otherwise, I think Garcia is a great fit.

pbmax
09-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, we got our injured reserve questions answered. Yes, you can put more than 3 on it and you can still sneak people through.

Evan Moore is on injured reserve with a finger injury suffered early in camp. He has been practicing for most of the past month.

Pugger
09-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Unless cutting Garcia was a salary cap move, do we really want a guy who couldn't cut it in OAKLAND? :shock:

pbmax
09-06-2009, 11:08 AM
One scout trashed Meredith for McGinn. But I wonder how much of the explanation was based on rumor prior to the draft versus actual analysis of tape and play.

“He doesn’t compete and he gets beat,” one scout said. “I think he’s soft. Pretty good foot athlete. . . . He doesn’t like football.”

VegasPackFan
09-06-2009, 11:12 AM
If you bring in Garcia to this team, he is implicitly agreeing to being the back up and back up only. There is no way he could think to usurp AR's status and position here. So I say if he agrees, GET HIM!!!!!

RashanGary
09-06-2009, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to Garcia, but I'm a big Flynn fan. We can win with Flynn. Garcia would be #3.

pbmax
09-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to Garcia, but I'm a big Flynn fan. We can win with Flynn. Garcia would be #3.
Garcia was looking to start in Tampa, wasn't he? I don't think he's going to agree to be #3 anywhere.

oregonpackfan
09-06-2009, 11:59 AM
I think the biggest factor has to do with Garcia's age. The guy is already 39.

While Garcia has repeatedly proved he can come into a new team, learn the system quickly, and be a good "fill-in" quarterback, the realization is becoming more apparent that his age is eroding his skills.

If the year was 2005 instead of 2009, I would be very supportive of bringing in Garcia as a backup. It simply is his time to retire.

gbgary
09-06-2009, 12:08 PM
didn't realize he was 39.

vince
09-06-2009, 12:12 PM
NFP is reporting that the Packers are showing interest in Harrington. I hope Flynn is ready to go, because I'm not liking that direction.

pbmax
09-06-2009, 12:17 PM
NFP is reporting that the Packers are showing interest in Harrington. I hope Flynn is ready to go, because I'm not liking that direction.
:shock:

I almost don't want to ask for a link. But do you have one?

MJZiggy
09-06-2009, 12:17 PM

aaaaaiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!!!! :pc:

Badgerinmaine
09-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Okay, I'm in the minority, but I like the Harrington option better than I like Garcia. Yeah, Garcia has a better record, but Harrington has spent nearly his whole career with horrible teams. He's a lot younger and still has tools. Garcia has a reputation as a grumbler and they don't need that.

digitaldean
09-06-2009, 12:45 PM

As mentioned in another thread, Tank is doing cartwheels if that happens... :wink:

HowardRoark
09-06-2009, 12:49 PM

BUSTED :!: :!:

Is Chris Cooley available too?

vince
09-06-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-3356.html

Sorry about that.

GREEN BAY — I’m hearing the Packers might make a move for Joey Harrington now that the Brian Brohm era has ended in Green Bay. Brohm never looked quick-minded or in rhythm the past two summers. Matt Flynn clearly out-played Brohm and looked like he had a much better command of the offense.

MJZiggy
09-06-2009, 01:33 PM

Sorry about that.

GREEN BAY — I’m hearing the Packers might make a move for Joey Harrington now that the Brian Brohm era has ended in Green Bay. Brohm never looked quick-minded or in rhythm the past two summers. Matt Flynn clearly out-played Brohm and looked like he had a much better command of the offense.

Wait. If TT brought in Harrington, would that mean Tank would have to like him now?

KYPack
09-06-2009, 01:36 PM

Sorry about that.

Wait. If TT brought in Harrington, would that mean Tank would have to like him now?

Zig for leader.

I'll shoot myself if they bring in Piano Joe.

Pugger
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Oh lord no... :P

We need one of those vomit smilies for times like this...

Fred's Slacks
09-06-2009, 02:00 PM
My wife would be in heaven if they signed Joey. She has some kind of obsession with him.

Rastak
09-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Unless cutting Garcia was a salary cap move, do we really want a guy who couldn't cut it in OAKLAND? :shock:

Pugger, I think it was more that he felt he should be the starter and they were commited to Russell so he was becoming a distraction.

Fred's Slacks
09-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Pugger, I think it was more that he felt he should be the starter and they were commited to Russell so he was becoming a distraction.

I guess the question then becomes: Does he feel he should be the starter anywhere, or just the starter over Russell?

KYPack
09-06-2009, 02:12 PM

That pretty much sums up Garcia's career. He goes crazy when he isn't starting.

Waldo
09-06-2009, 02:24 PM
My wife would be in heaven if they signed Joey. She has some kind of obsession with him.

Mine too. She's think's that he the cutest player to come around in a while.

Lurker64
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, in my lifetime the Packers have already gotten superbowl rings for the Bears QB (McMahon) and the Vikings QB (Brent something or other)... so why not the Lions QB? Sign Harrington!

packerbacker1234
09-06-2009, 04:05 PM
He wants a shot to start, he wont get that in GB.

The Shadow
09-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Actually, Garcia would have to find Green Bay appealing.
If anything should happen to Rodgers, he would most likely instantly leapfrog Flynn to take over the spot.
Also - we don't need a 'longterm' answer; we need a guy on the roster who can smoothly manage a few games, thus preventing a potential season disaster.
Insurance.
Plus, he might be of great help in mentoring the youngsters.
You know, like Favre was supposed to.

SkinBasket
09-06-2009, 05:11 PM
The SkinBasket endorses Joey Harrington. I always thought he got pinned with undue criticism considering the situations he played in. He's not awesome, but he could certainly be better than Flynn.

The Leaper
09-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Can't see Garcia being happy in a clipboard role...I'll pass.

Harrington is fine...we are merely signing someone as a #3 QB for insurance purposes. Harrington has experience in the league and would make a fine #3 QB IMO. It isn't like we are pinning any hopes on him.

Chevelle2
09-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Reason to sign Harrington, his wife Emily.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2024/harringtonrx9.jpg

MichiganPackerFan
09-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Harrington was terrible in Detroit, and part of that was due to how soft he was. Just not a leader.

oregonpackfan
09-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Harrington was terrible in Detroit, and part of that was due to how soft he was. Just not a leader.

I have to dispute that leadership statement. Harrington was a tremendous leader with the Oregon Ducks. The young man also has fine character traits.

He had the terrible misfortune of being expected to start as a rookie for one of the worst organizations of the NFL and take them to stardom. Ask guys like Tim Couch, David Carr, Akili Smith, etc. how their similar situations worked for them.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-07-2009, 07:49 PM

I have to dispute that leadership statement. Harrington was a tremendous leader with the Oregon Ducks. The young man also has fine character traits.

He had the terrible misfortune of being expected to start as a rookie for one of the worst organizations of the NFL and take them to stardom. Ask guys like Tim Couch, David Carr, Akili Smith, etc. how their similar situations worked for them.

Apparently once you are from oregon you can do no wrong.

The list of great leader qbs in college that couldn't hack it at the next level is long, and because you are a leader in college doesn't mean you can lead at the next level.

But, we all await your passionate defense of Kellen Clemens, Derek Anderson, Erik Wilhelm, etc.

And, just to give you a bit more work....don't forget Oregon Tech.

BobDobbs
09-07-2009, 07:59 PM
The biggest drawback to signing Joey Harrington is that he plays like Joey Harrington.

MichiganPackerFan
09-07-2009, 08:24 PM

Living in Michigan throughout his time in Detroit, I heard so much of his lack of leadership and how soft he was. He may have been all that in college, but certainly was not mature enough for the pro game.

MOBB DEEP
09-14-2009, 07:13 PM
The Eagles sign Garcia! WOW...

MJZiggy
09-14-2009, 07:14 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Fosco33
09-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Wonder if they release him when McNabb is healthy and/or Vick is back?

MOBB DEEP
09-14-2009, 07:23 PM
They can do that even with a one year deal?

not guaranteed huh?

Fosco33
09-14-2009, 07:48 PM

not guaranteed huh?

Yeah, good point. Didn't read up on the figures/etc. Who was there other/other 2nd/3rd string guy?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-14-2009, 08:02 PM

not guaranteed huh?

Yeah, good point. Didn't read up on the figures/etc. Who was there other/other 2nd/3rd string guy?

Kevin Kolb....high draft choice, last year or the year b4.

MOBB DEEP
09-14-2009, 08:23 PM

not guaranteed huh?

I was askn b/c i wasnt sure how that goes either

MJZiggy
09-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Who did they cut to add him...?

Bretsky
09-14-2009, 10:46 PM

They are trying to trade Hank Baskett

Green Bay should trade for him; I've love to meet his hottie wife Kendra :lol:

Guiness
09-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Hank Baskett? lol
Wasn't there someone here who knew him?

Well, the Eagles carried 7WR's on the roster out of camp, so you had to know one of them was going.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-16-2009, 02:01 AM

You have a thing for white trash?

SnakeLH2006
09-16-2009, 02:59 AM

You have a thing for white trash?

Ty, you should be a Rat expert on this....

White trash give the best parking lot BJ's in Snake's opinion. No questions/money dispursed/pat on the head necessary for a good job...

Don't date/marry 'em, though. :shock:

pbmax
09-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Bretsky, the brain drain alone from 5 minutes would probably cost you your job. Not that I have watched The Girls Next Door or anything :lol:

pbmax
09-16-2009, 08:05 AM

not guaranteed huh?

I have been wrong before, but I believe Garcia signed a one year deal after week 1. He could easily be gone after McNabb and/or Vick is back.

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2009, 05:44 PM

not guaranteed huh?

I have been wrong before, but I believe Garcia signed a one year deal after week 1. He could easily be gone after McNabb and/or Vick is back.

Garcia released today....

falco
09-29-2009, 05:45 PM

not guaranteed huh?

With the way our line is playing, he could be our QB after Monday night.

sheepshead
09-29-2009, 06:05 PM

not guaranteed huh?

With the way our line is playing, he could be our QB after Monday night.

HAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh wait, thats really not that funny

falco
09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh wait, thats really not that funny

yah, it was not meant to be.