PDA

View Full Version : Wiaiver Pickups/Practice Squad

vince
09-06-2009, 12:41 PM
JSO reports that Obizior and Lumpkin have cleared waivers and been immediately added to the Packers practice squad. More to come...

Partial
09-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Excellent news. Especially Obiozor.

vince
09-06-2009, 12:43 PM
LB Cyril Obiozor cleared waives and has been signed to the Packers' practice squad as well. He had a chance to sign a practice squad deal with a team that had fewer linebackers on the 53-man roster, but he chose the Packers, his agent, Ian Greengross, said.

boiga
That's great news about Obio. Next year he'll likely fight his way into the roster.

Although, if we kept Lumpkin, that probably means that Sutton got picked up... shame that.

Tarlam!
Excellent news. Especially Obiozor.

Fully agree.

boiga
09-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Yup, Sutton claimed by Carolina.

Good luck to him.

vince
09-06-2009, 12:50 PM
That sucks IMO about losing Sutton.

Ted to speak to the press in about an hour - not that he'll say anything.

MJZiggy
09-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Well actually right now there's stuff he can say without saying, you know what I'm saying?

vince
09-06-2009, 12:58 PM
UPDATE III: QB Brian Brohm has cleared waivers, but he is taking his time deciding which practice squad he plans to join. The Packers are waitting to hear from him and are holding a spot open, but he's definitely talking with other clubs, a league source said.

Tackle Jamon Meredith is considering offers from the Packers and the Buccaneers to be on their practice squad, the source said.
i think a change of scenery and a more slowly developing vertical passing attack would do Brohm well.

Lurker64
09-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I sure hope we can get Meredith on the PS. He has potential, there just wasn't a roster spot for an OL who won't do anything this year.

Did we claim anybody on Waivers?

Also, did Toribio clear waivers? I have a bad feeling that he didn't.

boiga
09-06-2009, 01:02 PM
The Packers also re-signed rookie defensive end Ronald Talley to the practice squad, his agent said. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Who? So, how many PS spots does that leave?

Lurker64
09-06-2009, 01:08 PM
The Packers also re-signed rookie defensive end Ronald Talley to the practice squad, his agent said. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Who? So, how many PS spots does that leave?

There are eight practice squad spots, three are filled. Two are being held open for a QB (maybe Brohm) and Meredith (if he decides against Tampa). Three are unknown at this point, I hope we can sneak Toribio and Heckendorf onto there.

Lurker64
09-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Rams apparently claimed Anthony Smith. I didn't know he had to go through waivers...

mmmdk
09-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Rams apparently claimed Anthony Smith. I didn't know he had to go through waivers...

Rams also picked up his Packer contract as he didn't clear waivers. Good for Smith.

vince
09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I hope we can sneak Toribio and Heckendorf onto there.
I agree, Toribio would be an important guy to continue to develop and guard against injury and possible attrition with Pickett next year.

pbmax
09-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't know how Meredith would find a better slot that the Packers. He's got a year to adjust to the NFL game and then a (good chance) at an open path to start.

Obiozor I can see as seeing the grass is greener, which, of course, is why he signed with us. Glad to have Lumpkin. If we need him, at least he gets positive yards if nothing big.

CaptainKickass
09-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Well actually right now there's stuff he can say without saying, you know what I'm saying?

If you mean what I think you mean, then the meaning that you actually meant will be quite meaningful.

:)

pbmax
09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I have a suspicion Martin will work out OK. I saw a quote yesterday that he had a spot on the Ravens 53 man roster. Anyone else see that?

McGinn opined that since he didn't receive an offer sheet he wasn't highly thought of, but if he made the Ravens roster as a newly minted safety, I think that trumps the contract dis.

Pugger
09-06-2009, 01:51 PM

:lol: :lol:

rbaloha1
09-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Sure would be nice to have kept Sutton. Lumpkin is decent. Hope BB decides to remain with Packers.

boiga
09-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Sure would be nice to have kept Sutton. Lumpkin is decent. Hope BB decides to remain with Packers.

You get your wish:
UPDATE, 1:53 p.m.: Brian Brohm will stick around here awhile longer after all. The quarterback plans to re-sign with the Packers practice squad, a league source said.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

pbmax
09-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Here's the eight:

The Green Bay Packers signed eight players to the practice squad Sunday. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the signings.

Signed to the practice squad were wide receiver Jake Allen, quarterback Brian Brohm, cornerback Trevor Ford, linebacker Cyril Obiozor, running back Kregg Lumpkin, tackle Jamon Meredith, defensive end Ronald Talley and nose tackle Anthony Toribio.

Lurker64
09-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Surprised we kept Allen and not Heckendorf. Glad we kept Toribio and Meredith.

Edit: Someone probably claimed Heckendorf, I'm willing to wager.

boiga
09-06-2009, 02:04 PM
It seems like a waste of scouting to have simply resigned a load of Packers rejects...

Fred's Slacks
09-06-2009, 02:07 PM
It seems like a waste of scouting to have simply resigned a load of Packers rejects...

Or...Maybe we scouted the right guys to begin with.

Fred's Slacks
09-06-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm sure the PS will change many times. They've said before, a couple of those spots are used primarily for giving prospects an extended tryout.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't know how Meredith would find a better slot that the Packers. He's got a year to adjust to the NFL game and then a (good chance) at an open path to start.

Obiozor I can see as seeing the grass is greener, which, of course, is why he signed with us. Glad to have Lumpkin. If we need him, at least he gets positive yards if nothing big.

Meredith...perhaps he likes warm weather. He is from SC.

Believe it or not, some folks don't find living in GB all that appealing.

Partial
09-06-2009, 02:29 PM

What ever happened to the DL men that was on the Texans for awhile that you and Waldo were basically blowing during the off-season? I haven't heard a peep about him in months.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-06-2009, 02:30 PM

We can sign Sutton any day that we want, and he decides.

Lumpkin or Sutton, if they are in the game, we are in trouble.

pbmax
09-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Or perhaps we could give the pro scouts every other week off to save money, since we already have the best talent that can be had at the bottom of the roster :lol:

Fosco33
09-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Couple of comments from TT about the roster moves:
- cut Smith in favor of Martin as he's more versatile (CB/safety/ST); he has good feet and the Pack studied him a few years ago in college
- cut Brohm due to the strength of the roster - not because BB is weak - more of a #s thing; glad to get BB on PS and thinks he's still improving and hasn't given up
- said Swain and Ruvell both earned spots but Swain was better on ST
- not giving up on Harrell - gonna do 8-10 mo of intense rehab and core strength training
- re: 3 FBs - all deserved a spot and each have value - kory/john good on STs, and Johnson could be a special player
- re: Sutton - came down to where we thought we had some depth and with keeping 3 FBs - sorry to lose him

My take:
- TT is stuck on 'his guys' - whether now or from years ago -- invests heavily in certain folks that are high risk/high reward (BB/Harrell)
- TT is keeping fringe players because of value on STs -- something that lacked last year
- Not sure why they drafted another FB last year if they were high on Kuhn/Hall; seems like we wasted a roster spot somewhere else; I do like Johnson

Fred's Slacks
09-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Does anyone think K Greene had anything to do with Obi deciding to stay here?

pbmax
09-06-2009, 02:34 PM

What about a starting left tackle paycheck? Is that appealing? :D

Partial
09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
If Harrell could just stay healthy, I would feel very good about this defense. Too bad :(

Tyrone Bigguns
09-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Sure. But there are no guarantees..and who knows if we draft one, trade for one, sign one, etc.

Also you don't know his mind...maybe he is more comfortable slowly moving into a starter's role.

Lastly, you would have to show that winning our job is easier than TBs. They are starting an undrafted free agent at LT. Mite be just as easy to win that job.

pbmax
09-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Sure. But there are no guarantees..and who knows if we draft one, trade for one, sign one, etc.

Also you don't know his mind...maybe he is more comfortable slowly moving into a starter's role.

Lastly, you would have to show that winning our job is easier than TBs. They are starting an undrafted free agent at LT. Mite be just as easy to win that job.
Good call on Donald Penn. Of course, we (or at least I) don't know how well he has been playing. On the Packers, you know there is an increasing chance Cliffy retires or moves on.

falco
09-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Fosco, that's interesting. If TT is to be believed, we will go into the season with only 2 QBs.

Lurker64
09-06-2009, 03:29 PM

What ever happened to the DL men that was on the Texans for awhile that you and Waldo were basically blowing during the off-season? I haven't heard a peep about him in months.

Connor Barwin? He's a good player. Super raw, but you have to love his athleticism and his motor. He's not going to start, but he looked good in the preseason. He was in on a lot of tackles or just a step away, but he'll take a year or two. He may play DE or LB for them. He's currently pencilled in as the #2 RDE behind Mario Williams, a position battle he is not likely to win any time soon. But if Okoye can play up to his potential (he's been disappointing so far, but he's super young) and they move Barwin to OLB, that would be a scary front 7 that they have in Houston.

Really, how much do you hear about players on the Texans during the preseason anyway?

Fred's Slacks
09-06-2009, 03:38 PM

Connor Barwin? He's a good player. Super raw, but you have to love his athleticism and his motor. He's not going to start, but he looked good in the preseason. He was in on a lot of tackles or just a step away, but he'll take a year or two. He may play DE or LB for them. He's currently pencilled in as the #2 RDE behind Mario Williams, a position battle he is not likely to win any time soon. But if Okoye can play up to his potential (he's been disappointing so far, but he's super young) and they move Barwin to OLB, that would be a scary front 7 that they have in Houston.

Really, how much do you hear about players on the Texans during the preseason anyway?

I think he was talking about Alfred Malone.

Lurker64
09-06-2009, 03:45 PM

I think he was talking about Alfred Malone.

Oh, him? Dunno. He was really disappointing through training camp and the preseason. Wouldn't be surprised if he was out of a job.

I can't see the future. Sometimes guys play a lot better than you think they will (Michael Montgomery is actually serviceable at 5-tech) and sometimes they play a lot worse (like Malone).

Edit: Malone is a vested veteran, as he has four years of league service (2 with Houston, 2 with Green Bay) so he's a free agent now. He has no practice squad eligibility.

BallHawk
09-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I doubt Brohm stays with the Packers. Why would he? He's got an upcoming elite QB as the starter and Flynn looks like he could be a serviceable backup. He doesn't have a realistic chance of starting for a long time unless chaos breaks out. He'd be best to sign with a team with a more unstable situation (San Francisco, maybe?)

Brohm
09-06-2009, 03:51 PM
MM has made a lot of QBs look good, just needs time. SF of late has ruined careers :shock:

MJZiggy
09-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Except that now he can sit on the PS for another season and get his feet under him a little better, then if he wants, at the end of the season he can move on and get more money than he could now.

BallHawk
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I doubt Brohm stays with the Packers. Why would he? He's got an upcoming elite QB as the starter and Flynn looks like he could be a serviceable backup. He doesn't have a realistic chance of starting for a long time unless chaos breaks out. He'd be best to sign with a team with a more unstable situation (San Francisco, maybe?)

This is the result of reading the first page and responding before you read the second page :oops:

vince
09-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Obviously we're talking about the absolute bottom of the roster, so I don't want to come across as thinking Sutton is the second coming of Barry Sanders or anything, but I'd have liked to see Sutton on the 53-man and Underwood on the PS instead of Trevor Ford. If that would have happened, I'd say things would have turned out about as well as it could have according to my perspective.

We're thin at LT, but I mentioned yesterday that I'm thinking Cliffy may have a few years left in his newly rejuvinated body... I seem to remember him recently talking in those terms.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Good call on Donald Penn. Of course, we (or at least I) don't know how well he has been playing. On the Packers, you know there is an increasing chance Cliffy retires or moves on.

which all comes back go my point about variables..which one strong one might be living in the south. jamon mite feel more comfortable, closer to family, weather, etc.

GB in the winter is a shock to those southern boys.

MJZiggy
09-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Winter in Wis. was a shock to me and I was born and raised there.

rbaloha1
09-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Here's the eight:

The Green Bay Packers signed eight players to the practice squad Sunday. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the signings.

Signed to the practice squad were wide receiver Jake Allen, quarterback Brian Brohm, cornerback Trevor Ford, linebacker Cyril Obiozor, running back Kregg Lumpkin, tackle Jamon Meredith, defensive end Ronald Talley and nose tackle Anthony Toribio.

Ford always gets turnaround and looks lost. Jake Allen is much better Ruvell Martin. BB still has a chance to be a decent backup.

pbmax
09-06-2009, 05:59 PM
I still remember when Shaun King came up for either a December game of playoff game and it was the first time he had been in snow.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2009, 06:28 PM
UPDATE III: QB Brian Brohm has cleared waivers, but he is taking his time deciding which practice squad he plans to join. The Packers are waitting to hear from him and are holding a spot open, but he's definitely talking with other clubs, a league source said.

Tackle Jamon Meredith is considering offers from the Packers and the Buccaneers to be on their practice squad, the source said.
i think a change of scenery and a more slowly developing vertical passing attack would do Brohm well.

Well, ya, and with Green Bay having their young franchise QB in place, and a guy drafted along with BRohm who is ahead of him, GB not so inviting.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2009, 06:33 PM

This is the result of reading the first page and responding before you read the second page :oops:

wow, me too. I am so ashamed.

Lurker64
09-06-2009, 06:40 PM
At the same time, players probably aren't particularly fond of picking up and moving to a completely different team if they have not yet done so in their professional career. Even a guy who has only been here since the draft will have found a place to live, will have formed relationships with coaches and other players on the team, and will at least be somewhat comfortable in the environment.

If you are being offered the same job in two places (and not a particularly high paying job at that), most people probably pick the one with the most continuity and the least personal hassle.

I mean, Brohm may not have a bright future in Green Bay, but staying here at least means he doesn't have to pack up and move all of his crap halfway across the country, and leave an environment where people generally look at him as "one of them" and want him to succeed to a new place where he would be looked at as "an outsider".

Unless of course he hates it here, but the football players who hate it in Green Bay (after being there during football-time) tend to be fewer in number than one might expect.

Partial
09-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Well yeah, why would you switch locations to play for a different practice squad? You're only eligible for so long, so why not stay where you have A) a coach with a solid reputation for QBs and B) a place to stay where you will not be starting from scratch. His goal is to get as ready as he can for next training camp so he can catch on somewhere...

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2009, 06:43 PM
At the same time, players probably aren't particularly fond of picking up and moving to a completely different team if they have not yet done so in their professional career. Even a guy who has only been here since the draft will have found a place to live, will have formed relationships with coaches and other players on the team, and will at least be somewhat comfortable in the environment.

Ya, but he doesn't have a lot of future in G.B. so he has to move soon anyway.

I suppose he needs to audition for a new job, and can do that much in Green Bay.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I still remember when Shaun King came up for either a December game of playoff game and it was the first time he had been in snow.

When Ty lived in Tampa, much ado made about Miami guys who weren't use to the cold of tampa. LOL

Fritz
09-07-2009, 08:54 AM
This is a scatter-shot of my impressions so far:

- The makeup of the squad regarding positions. This had to be slightly surprising for most folks. Two quarterbacks and three fullbacks? And then Pack cuts the emergency QB to boot. The obvious answer is that special teams is being re-emphasized, though it seems like we hear that every year. Still, it does seem to suggest that Kuhn and Hall are seen as important on ST's as I dunno, Harris and Woodson are to the defense. Or something close to it. This suggests too that Flynn's shoulder must be okay.

- Brohm stays, Sutton goes. For Brohm, who really knows the whys, but one possibility is that this staying put speaks to one of his problems: insecurity. Even though he might've been able to find a place more suited to his game, or more suited to his being on a 53 man roster, he chose to stay where he was. Is he an insecure guy? This is speculation, but I thought I'd offer it. As for Sutton, well, I think a lot of posters, myself included, get pretty worked up about the bottom of a roster. I'm thrilled for example that Meredith is still here, but damn, he's a practice squad guy. Really, if he was that awesome or that talented-but-raw, wouldn't they have kept him on the 53? Heck, Mario Williams was raw as all get out his first year, but the Texans didn't cut him. Brett Favre was useless his first year as a rook, and the Falcons didn't cut him. So as excited as people like me get about the bottom part of the roster, well, maybe we need to relax. Sutton might be a guy to root for, but he's probably not as good as, say, Brandon Jackson. And nobody's saying Jackson is the next big thing.

So it'll be okay. I' doing my Brian Brohm yoga: Br-oooohmmm.....Br-ooohmmm....

I am ready for the season.

DonHutson
09-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Couple of comments from TT about the roster moves:- cut Brohm due to the strength of the roster - not because BB is weak - more of a #s thing; glad to get BB on PS and thinks he's still improving and hasn't given up

That's sweet of Ted to say, but when you cut a 2nd round QB at the start of his second year because you have too many good fullbacks... then you don't have to read too far betweent the lines to see the judgment on Brohm.

Fritz
09-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Couple of comments from TT about the roster moves:- cut Brohm due to the strength of the roster - not because BB is weak - more of a #s thing; glad to get BB on PS and thinks he's still improving and hasn't given up

That's sweet of Ted to say, but when you cut a 2nd round QB at the start of his second year because you have too many good fullbacks... then you don't have to read too far betweent the lines to see the judgment on Brohm.

Don, you're making me feel all warm 'n fuzzy 'bout Teddy!

Your point is incorrect, however. Anyone who understands anything about football knows damn well that fullback is the linchpin position on the team, more important than any single other position. You have to choose between three fullbacks and three QB's, and it's obvious you've gotta go with the fullbacks. Quarterbacks, no big deal. But fullbacks. My god, the thought of carrying only two is scary.

Packgator
09-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Anyone who understands anything about football knows damn well that fullback is the linchpin position on the team, more important than any single other position. You have to choose between three fullbacks and three QB's, and it's obvious you've gotta go with the fullbacks. Quarterbacks, no big deal. But fullbacks. My god, the thought of carrying only two is scary.

How right you are. It all starts with the fullback. Always has....always will. Go back to the past 15 SB champions and I'm certain you will find three and possibly four quality fullbacks on each of those championship rosters. How does the old saying go? "You just can't have enough good fullbacks".

swede
09-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Other than Henderson=PackerGawd.com, other Packer sites don't seem to understand the importance of the fullback position to a professional football team's sucess.

http://www.veryfunnypics.com/pics/myspace/images/sarcasm.jpg

wist43
09-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Well yeah, why would you switch locations to play for a different practice squad? You're only eligible for so long, so why not stay where you have A) a coach with a solid reputation for QBs and B) a place to stay where you will not be starting from scratch. His goal is to get as ready as he can for next training camp so he can catch on somewhere...

B/C living in WI sucks :)

rbaloha1
09-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Anyone who understands anything about football knows damn well that fullback is the linchpin position on the team, more important than any single other position. You have to choose between three fullbacks and three QB's, and it's obvious you've gotta go with the fullbacks. Quarterbacks, no big deal. But fullbacks. My god, the thought of carrying only two is scary.

How right you are. It all starts with the fullback. Always has....always will. Go back to the past 15 SB champions and I'm certain you will find three and possibly four quality fullbacks on each of those championship rosters. How does the old saying go? "You just can't have enough good fullbacks".

Depends on the scheme. In the wc, indy and pats schemes the qb is the most important not the fb. The fb may be the most important in traditional Big 10 offenses.

The packers keeping 3 fbs is due to special teams, versatility and performance.

Fritz
09-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Well then, dammit, Brohm needed to work on his special teams play then, didn't he?

Packgator
09-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Well then, dammit, Brohm needed to work on his special teams play then, didn't he?

Or convert to fullback.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2009, 08:28 PM
For Brohm, who really knows the whys, but one possibility is that this staying put speaks to one of his problems: insecurity. Even though he might've been able to find a place more suited to his game, or more suited to his being on a 53 man roster, he chose to stay where he was. Is he an insecure guy? This is speculation, but I thought I'd offer it .

He was a successful college QB, he's survived some trials by fire, I kinda doubt that he totally lacks for confidence.

After thinking about it a bit, it does make a lot of sense for Brohm to stay in G.B for this season, at least. First of all, he is more valuable to G.B. than to any other franchise because he knows the offense. And from Brohm's standpoint, G.B. may very well stay with 2 QBs on the regular roster, which leaves a decent chance that Brohm will get activated and pick up some game checks. On another team he is surely stuck on the P.S.

Seems that Booty in MN is in much the same situation.

Brohm
09-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Booty's situation is a bit tougher as they still have 3 QBs on the roster. He's looking at a 2 year stinnt on the PS if Brett plays through his contract (and they don't find a trade partner for Jackson).

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Booty's situation is a bit tougher as they still have 3 QBs on the roster. He's looking at a 2 year stinnt on the PS if Brett plays through his contract (and they don't find a trade partner for Jackson).

:lol: I'm having a little trouble with my counting. I'm good up to 2, but after that all bets are off. Guess I had it stuck in my mind that MN was unloading TJ.

packrulz
09-08-2009, 05:54 AM
* QB Brian Brohm received practice-squad feelers from five teams, but he decided to stay in Green Bay rather than trying to learn a new scheme on the fly during the regular season.

* LB Danny Lansanah, who turned down the Packers' offer to return to their practice squad, has signed with Miami's practice squad instead.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com
http://twitter.com/tompelissero

posted by PackersNews.com at 8:40 AM

Packers | Peprah will be released

Mon, 07 Sep 2009 21:24:28 -0700

Greg A. Bedard, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers S Charlie Peprah (knee) wil be released when his left knee is healthy or the team reaches an injury settlement with him. Peprah does not want to sit on injured reserve for a year because he feels he can play somewhere this season.

KYPack
09-08-2009, 09:54 AM
* QB Brian Brohm received practice-squad feelers from five teams, but he decided to stay in Green Bay rather than trying to learn a new scheme on the fly during the regular season.

* LB Danny Lansanah, who turned down the Packers' offer to return to their practice squad, has signed with Miami's practice squad instead.

There is va "thing" going on BTW Miami and GB.

Last fall, the Dolphins contected Haynos to go to their roster. GB offered Haynos a pay bump to stay on our PS. He turned it down and went to Miami's regular roster.

Couple weeks later, they approached Lansanah. TT cut Tracy White and promoted Lansanah to our active roster.

At the end of the year, we snagged Anthony Toribo from the Dolphin squad and put him on our roster.

Now the Dolphins snag Lansanah and put him on their PS

Wonder what will happen next?

mraynrand
09-08-2009, 09:58 AM

Last fall, the Dolphins contected Haynos to go to their roster. GB offered Haynos a pay bump to stay on our PS. He turned it down and went to Miami's regular roster.

Couple weeks later, they approached Lansanah. TT cut Tracy White and promoted Lansanah to our active roster.

At the end of the year, we snagged Anthony Toribo from the Dolphin squad and put him on our roster.

Maybe a sign and trade - Miami signs Harrington and packages him with a conditional 5/6th rounder for Kuhn.

vince
09-08-2009, 10:05 AM

Anything going on here thus far has been strictly one-way.

Toribio was waived by the Dolphins prior to Thompson signing him to our practice squad, so we didn't actually take him from the Dolphins as they did to the Packers with Haynos and attempted to do with Lansanah. Toribio was activated the last two weeks of the season, but not immediately upon the Packers signing him.

http://www.packers.com/team/players/toribio_anthony/

Signed as a non-drafted rookie free agent with the Miami Dolphins on May 5, 2008
Participated in all of training camp with Miami before being waived at the final roster cutdown on August 30, 2008
Signed to Miami’s practice squad on September 2, 2008, and spent parts of the first half of the season in that role before being released November 11, 2008, and joining the Packers two days later
Originally signed to the Packers’ practice squad on November 13, 2008
Signed to Green Bay’s active roster on December 18, 2008
Was a gameday inactive for the final two regular-season games at Chicago (Dec. 22) and vs. Detroit (Dec. 28)

I think the Dolphins just liked Haynos and Lansanah, and you can't really blame them for that.

Scott Campbell
09-08-2009, 10:16 AM

Maybe they could steal Brohme from us, and demote Henne to their practice squad. And then we could steal him in retaliation. :lol:

mraynrand
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Maybe they could steal Brohme from us, and demote Henne to their practice squad. And then we could steal him in retaliation. :lol:

How 'bout we trade straight up - one manzier (for Parcells) and a roll of tape and we get Henne.

http://deonandan.com/images/manzier.jpg

KYPack
09-08-2009, 10:41 AM

How 'bout we trade straight up - one manzier (for Parcells) and a roll of tape and we get Henne.

I thought that was called the "Bro" or something.

bobblehead
09-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I believe Jerry's Dad (Stiller) and Kramer were arguing over what to name it...Kramer wanted the Bro and Stiller wanted the Manzier.

mraynrand
09-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Bro, Manzier, what's the dif? I am anti-semantic.

pittstang5
09-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Not to get of topic, but I remember Parcells really wanting Jeremy Thompson in the draft and might have been irritated when GB traded up to get him. Not totally sure if this is true, but it's something I remember hearing. Just thought I'd add this to the Miami / GB connection discussion going on here.

Freak Out
09-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Maybe a sign and trade - Miami signs Harrington and packages him with a conditional 5/6th rounder for Kuhn.

Could Harrington become the next "Jim Plunkett"?

No....where the hell is he playing now?

On a side note...I saw Samkon was playing for the Rams......I actually saw him drafted on a FF mock. :)

pbmax
09-08-2009, 09:45 PM

Bro, Manzier, what's the dif? I am anti-semantic.

As long as you are not an Anti-Dentite bastard.

Fritz
09-09-2009, 06:59 AM

Not to get of topic, but I remember Parcells really wanting Jeremy Thompson in the draft and might have been irritated when GB traded up to get him. Not totally sure if this is true, but it's something I remember hearing. Just thought I'd add this to the Miami / GB connection discussion going on here.

Well, if Thompson doesn't display some aggression this season, Parcells can have him. But then, he won't want him at that point, will he? Terry Glenn was enough for him.