PDA

View Full Version : Packers are the Youngest Team... again...

boiga
09-07-2009, 05:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/4447/three-of-nine-oldest-teams-in-nfc-west

How is this even possible? The only old veteran we lost this offseason was Tauscher. Is this strategy? Are all of Ted's teams going to be like this in perpetuity?

pbmax
09-07-2009, 05:52 PM
we're number 1, We're Number 1, WE'RE NUMBER 1!

I would bet that we have a fair number of games started per position compared to many older teams. Lee, Spitz, Colledge, Jennings, Jones, Grant, Jolly, Hawk and Collins have all started a lot of games at early ages. Not to mention old men like Woodson, Harris, Jenkins, Kampman, Clifton and Barnett.

RashanGary
09-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Wow, I'm surprised. I thought this would be the year we broke that. There was less turn over this year, but I guess it takes a little time for a young roster to age.

Lurker64
09-07-2009, 06:20 PM
How many years in a row is this?

Fritz
09-07-2009, 06:34 PM
It's the Curious Case of Tedjamin Button.

rbaloha1
09-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Let the dynasty begin.

Fritz
09-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Good thing the team keeps a diaper pail in the locker room.

Kiwon
09-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Good one, Fritz! :D :D :D

mmmdk
09-07-2009, 07:09 PM

:tup:

CaptainKickass
09-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Good thing the team keeps a diaper pail in the locker room.

"Teets" has another new nickname. :D

Seriously - I have to believe this is strategy. And personally, I'm all for it.

Certain football truths are heard repeatedly. "Defense wins championships" is a great example. The other one is:

"Football is a young mans game"

The concept of drafting younger players to develop into your starters earlier than most, has it's advantage in that you get their best years as players, typically beginning in the 2nd to 4th years depending on the position. Then when they begin to hit their stride, the team is financially positioned to sign them to a second contract at what seems to amount to a bargain price. You also get to cherry pick the best players on the team by using this method.

It appears to be working for the moment.

Waldo
09-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Most of our starting lineup is about to enter or is just entering their prime.

This is not a bad problem to have.

mraynrand
09-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Experience can be overrated in the NFL. When you are old, you are old.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/oldfavrecopy.jpg

bobblehead
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Experience can be overrated in the NFL. When you are old, you are old.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/oldfavrecopy.jpg

Look, no reason for that guy to even practice at all. He has seen it all and done it all, he simply needs to show up on sunday with that bionic arm.

edit: anyone besides me have steve austin flashbacks when he falls back in the pocket....suddenly you hear that funky sound as his arm cocks back....duh dun duh dun duh dun as the world shifts to slow motion.

Fritz
09-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I think when a football player grows gray hair on the tops of his shoulders he should be exempted from practice altogether.

pbmax
09-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I think when a football player grows gray hair on the tops of his shoulders he should be exempted from practice altogether.
He's just having fun out hair!

boiga
09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
He's just having fun out hair!

:doh: major groaner pb... good effort though.