PDA

View Full Version : Pack position-by-position*TE

the_idle_threat
07-24-2006, 05:28 AM
From Packer Insider at JSO:

Position of strength by Bob McGinn

Green Bay - Unlike most teams, the Green Bay Packers neither have drafted nor opened their wallet in free agency during the last five years to land one of the many talented tight ends in the National Football League.

After a dry spell in the 1990s, tight ends with hands and wheels have flooded into the league and assumed prominent roles as offenses seek weapons to attack the Cover 2 zone coverage schemes in the seams and deep down the middle.

The Packers don't have an Antonio Gates or a Tony Gonzalez, an Alge Crumpler, Todd Heap or Jeremy Shockey. In April, they debated whether to take the man forecast to be the next great tight end, Maryland's Vernon Davis, with the fifth pick but opted instead for linebacker A.J. Hawk. Davis was the first of a whopping total of eight tight ends taken in the first three rounds.

As much as the Packers would love to have had someone with Davis' speed dashing about snaring long passes and opening things up for their wide receivers, they're far from crying the blues. General manager Ted Thompson regards tight end as the team's strongest position, and starter Bubba Franks was a Pro Bowl starter as recently as 2001 and '02.

"Vernon Davis is impressive and I know he will help San Francisco," new tight ends coach Ben McAdoo said. "Everybody wants that speed guy or that big guy down the field, but a lot of times you need the guy to move the chains. I'm impressed with what we have in our room."

Behind Franks, the Packers open camp with David Martin as No. 2 and former Miami Dolphin Donald Lee as No. 3. Free agent Tory Humphrey has a chance based on his performance in NFL Europe, and rookie free agent Zac Alcorn has considerable ability.

"I see the strength as the depth," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "Donald Lee and David Martin have some speed and can get down the field vertically. You can say what you want about Bubba, but the guy's been to three Pro Bowls and does what's expected of him."

Franks suffered through his worst season due in large part to injury, but then Martin and Lee became heavily used targets. The passes that would have gone to Javon Walker had to go somewhere, and by season's end the Packers had thrown a greater share of their passes (132, or 21.1%) to tight ends than at any time during the Brett Favre era.

Partially due to scheme and partially due to injury, coach Mike Sherman usually kept one or more of the tight ends on the field as split receivers even on passing downs. Lee caught 33 of the 53 balls thrown his way (four drops), whereas Martin caught 27 of 39 (one drop) and Franks caught 25 of 39 (one drop).

New coach Mike McCarthy has dropped hints that the tight ends shouldn't expect to see any fewer balls in 2006.

"Because of the diverse talents we have at the position, I think we can get down the field more," Jagodzinski said. "(But) Bubba's going to be a short to medium guy and red-zone guy. If you try doing things with Bubba that aren't his strengths, it'd be like Aaron Rodgers running a wishbone."

Although Franks does tend to lumber on deeper routes, McAdoo has observed his improved feel for finding holes in zones and ability to use his big body to screen defenders.

"I coached the guy for a lot of snaps and I know what we're going to do with him," Jagodzinski said. "He'll get his this year. I promise you that."

Franks has long been regarded as a solid blocker ("Shoot, he can block any defensive end," said Jagodzinski), but it's the work of Martin in this area that caught McAdoo's eye.

"Coming in here you hear former wide receiver and you're not sure what you're going to get," said McAdoo. "Well, I'm most impressed with his in-line blocking. I think he has an opportunity to be a very good in-line blocker. I don't see him as not being a tough guy. He's got quick feet and hands, understands leverage and isn't afraid to put his hat on someone."

Now Martin, who has made it through a 16-game season just once in five years, will have to stay on the field to fulfill his promise.

One of Thompson's best transactions in 2005 was signing Lee on Sept. 7, three days after his release by Miami. Given his score of 7 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, there was speculation that Lee might not be ready until midseason.

After sitting out the opener, Lee dispelled those fears by getting into his playbook and playing solid football in the final 15 games. He lacks ideal height but proved to be more than adequate in almost every phase of play.

"I think he was at 51 out of the 52 weight workouts," McAdoo said. "He was here the whole off-season and he got a lot stronger. I have a high opinion of him."

Humphrey, who ran 40 yards in the mid-4.5s two years ago, is an inch shorter than Lee at 6 feet 3 inches but might be worth keeping if one of the big three were injured.

"He can play," Jagodzinski said. "I like him."

At a Glance

The six tight ends on the Green Bay roster heading into training camp. Each player is listed with height, weight, age, how acquired and college. Acquisition categories: D1 means first-round draft choice, FA means free agent.

Tight Ends at a Glance
Player Ht. Wt Age Acquired College
BUBBA FRANKS 6-5 1/2 263 28 D1-'00 Miami
Ranks ninth among NFL tight ends by Pro Football Weekly entering season; was seventh entering '05, 10th entering '04 and sixth entering '03.
DAVID MARTIN 6-4 265 27 D6-'01 Tennessee
Was having his best season in '05 when groin and head injuries caused him to miss four games. Injuries have shortened four of his five seasons by a total of 13 games.
DONALD LEE 6-3 252 25 FA-'05 Mississippi State
Led all Green Bay receivers in yards after the catch at 4.46 and wasn't responsible as a blocker for a single "bad run," compared to nine for Franks and 7 /2 for Martin.
TORY HUMPHREY 6-2 250 23 FA-'05 Central Michigan
Started for Amsterdam in NFL Europe this spring, catching 19 passes for 206 yards, a 10.8 average and one TD. Spent four weeks in Packers' camp last August.
ZAC ALCORN 6-4 260 25 FA-'06 Black Hills State
Worked on his family's ranch in sand hills of western Nebraska in 2002 and '03 before resuming football at obscure NAIA school. Mature, athletic, learns quickly and has size.
GARRETT CROSS 6-4½ 235 23 FA-'05 California
Has struggled trying to put on weight. Signed free-agent deal with Packers in April 2005 but quit football on eve of training camp. Granted reinstatement in March.

woodbuck27
07-24-2006, 10:23 AM
We are certainly going to need solid blocking from OUR TE's and maybe we'll have to line em up inside the GUARDS. jk

Poor Brett Favre ! He's going to think he's the cook of the cattle drive. Out front sure . . . but in the line of the stampede. Holy mackeral Andy Withers!!
Here they come again.