PDA

View Full Version : Vikes ditch Wade, sign Greg Lewis

boiga
09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Buh-bye, Bobby Wade
Posted by Mike Florio on September 10, 2009 11:04 AM ET
John Clayton of ESPN recently offered a noggin-scratching assessment of the top four wideouts on the Vikings' roster, calling them "phenomenal."

We wonder what he thinks of the remaining three.

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Vikings have released veteran wideout Bobby Wade.

Wade, the team's leading receiver over the last two years, recently disputed the notion that a dramatic pay cut was aimed at securing his spot on the team.

As it turns out, he was right.

The move isn't a shock, given that the base salaries of vested veterans become essentially guaranteed if they are on the roster for Week One.

And that reality likely will keep another team from signing Wade until after Week One.

Maybe he'll land back in Chicago, where he could serve as a mediator between Jay Cutler and Brian Urlacher.

Meanwhile, Jensen reports that the Vikings are expected to sign veteran Greg Lewis to take his place. Lewis played for Vikings coach Brad Childress when Childress was the Eagles offensive coordinator; Lewis was traded to the Patriots in the offseason, and he recently was cut. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/10/buh-bye-bobby-wade/

What a dick move after Wade already restructured his contract.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
In some ways I'm surprised. When Brett has been successful the last few years, he has kept within himself and played more of a game manager role (with the occasional big play). Relying on the likes of Jennings, Driver, Cotchery, Keller, etc. to get yards after the catch. You'd think the Vikings would want Wade for the underneath routes. On the other hand, I don't think Wade is very good running the route (slant) that Brett throws best.

Fritz
09-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't know enough to know if Lewis runs the slant well. Anybody?

SMACKTALKIE
09-10-2009, 12:53 PM
In some ways I'm surprised. When Brett has been successful the last few years, he has kept within himself and played more of a game manager role (with the occasional big play). Relying on the likes of Jennings, Driver, Cotchery, Keller, etc. to get yards after the catch. You'd think the Vikings would want Wade for the underneath routes. On the other hand, I don't think Wade is very good running the route (slant) that Brett throws best.

Wade was good at the underneath route but rarely got any yac. This probably means we'll see alot more Percy Harvin in the slot.

I think this an indication that the Viking's WR core has improved since Wade led the Vikings in receptions last year.

mraynrand
09-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I think Favre will be comfortable with Lewis, like he was with the 2003 version of Antonio Freeman. But defenses won't be afraid - at all.

Bossman641
09-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Kevin Seifert, the NFC North blogger on ESPN (and a former Minnesota writer) recently said that the Vikings had the deepest WR corps in the division. One of his major reasons was Wade.

I think it’s pretty clear that the Packers’ 1-2 punch of Greg Jennings and Donald Driver is unmatched in Minnesota. Jennings and Driver are without question more skillful. But in a top-to-bottom comparison, it gets more interesting. If a starter went down in Green Bay or Minnesota, which team is better equipped to absorb the loss? To me, that’s the definition of depth.

For your reference, ESPN.com editor Jonathan Hudec has given you a position-by-position comparison of each team’s receivers from No. 1 through No. 5. Your job is to decide if you prefer the Packers’ top-heavy construction, or if you would play it safer and take a Minnesota group that includes first-round pick Percy Harvin at No. 3 and ex-leading receiver Bobby Wade at No. 4. Tell me what you think, and we’ll meet here again Friday to hash it out. Have at it.

It was probably one of the dumber things I've seen him say. He's basically saying because the Vikings have more mediocre receivers they have better depth.

cheesner
09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Kevin Seifert, the NFC North blogger on ESPN (and a former Minnesota writer) recently said that the Vikings had the deepest WR corps in the division. One of his major reasons was Wade.

I think it’s pretty clear that the Packers’ 1-2 punch of Greg Jennings and Donald Driver is unmatched in Minnesota. Jennings and Driver are without question more skillful. But in a top-to-bottom comparison, it gets more interesting. If a starter went down in Green Bay or Minnesota, which team is better equipped to absorb the loss? To me, that’s the definition of depth.

For your reference, ESPN.com editor Jonathan Hudec has given you a position-by-position comparison of each team’s receivers from No. 1 through No. 5. Your job is to decide if you prefer the Packers’ top-heavy construction, or if you would play it safer and take a Minnesota group that includes first-round pick Percy Harvin at No. 3 and ex-leading receiver Bobby Wade at No. 4. Tell me what you think, and we’ll meet here again Friday to hash it out. Have at it.

It was probably one of the dumber things I've seen him say. He's basically saying because the Vikings have more mediocre receivers they have better depth.A very stupid statement looks even stupider now.

Merlin
09-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Has to be something very strange with this one. I don't think Greg Lewis is an upgrade and if Wade restructured his contract, then wtf?

boiga
09-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Did the Vikes do Bobby Wade dirty?
Posted by Mike Florio on September 10, 2009 1:36 PM ET
In the wake of the Vikings' abrupt decision to cut receiver Bobby Wade only three days before Week One of the regular season, a league source opines that Minnesota pulled a dirty move on the veteran receiver.

"It's cardinal sin in a locker room to get a player to reduce his salary and then cut him," the source said.

That's the great unknown, for now -- the reaction of the rank-and-file to the loss of one of the team's veteran leaders. But based on the source's assessment, there likely will be some ruffled feathers.

Whether it becomes a full-blown schism remains to be seen.

The other angle here is the man who caused the original schism reports: Brett Favre. Given that coach Brad Childress has been catering to Favre's every whim since Favre unretired last month, it's unlikely that Childress cut Wade without Favre's approval or consent.

So the perception could (and maybe should) be that Favre could have saved Wade's job by intervening on his behalf. The fact that he didn't might stir up some of the resentment that was put to rest once Favre threw a crackback block on Texans safety Eugene Wilson. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/10/did-the-vikes-do-bobby-wade-dirty/

MOBB DEEP
09-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Dumb move imo

mraynrand
09-10-2009, 06:25 PM
" Posted by Mike Florio on September 10, 2009 1:36 PM ET...might stir up some of the resentment that was put to rest once Favre threw a crackback block on Texans safety Eugene Wilson."

Is Florio suggesting that Viking player resentment was mollified by a dirty hit from Favre?

Rastak
09-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I personally think think this was one dumb assed move.

MOBB DEEP
09-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I personally think think this was one dumb assed move.

GET MARVIN HARRISON...!!!