PDA

View Full Version : Change in NFL's Media Blackout Policy

Kiwon
09-10-2009, 06:09 PM
NFL partially lifts blackouts; games can be seen online after delay

NEW YORK — NFL fans whose local teams' games are blacked out will be able to watch replays online for free — though not until after midnight.
The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season. The league announced Thursday that home fans will be able to view the delayed broadcasts on NFL.com for 72 hours, except during Monday Night Football.

A game is not aired in the home market if it does not sell out 72 hours in advance.

"We understand that the economy is limiting some families and corporations from buying as many game tickets as they had previously," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a release.

The Cincinnati Bengals' and Arizona Cardinals' openers Sunday are in danger of being blacked out. Both teams received extensions until Friday from the NFL to sell more tickets.

The Oakland Raiders are also in danger of not selling out their season opener on Monday night.

On Thursday, the Cardinals still had 1,700 tickets left for their game vs. the San Francisco 49ers, spokesman Mark Dalton said. The team was "hopeful" it would lift the blackout, he said. The Bengals didn't know if they could avoid a blackout in recession-plagued Ohio, spokesman Jack Brennan said. The club had nearly 5,000 unsold tickets for their game vs. the Denver Broncos. The Raiders did not respond to a written inquiry.

Cincinnati is coming off a 4-11-1 season that left many fans disgruntled about the direction of the franchise, which has one winning season in the last 18 years. Arizona won the NFC last year and lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl. Oakland went 5-11 and hasn't had a winning season since 2002.

Only nine games were blacked out last season.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has made a change that should help clubs during the current economic recession. All 32 NFL teams get 17,000 complimentary tickets per season. Previously, clubs had to allocate 1,700 for each of 10 home games regardless of which team they were playing.

This season, clubs have the flexibility to divide these tickets as they see fit. So clubs can use thousands of comp tickets to fill empty seats for a slow-selling game. Or allocate hardly any for a divisional game.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-09-10-blackouts-update_N.htm

oregonpackfan
09-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Seems like a pretty good compromise to me. Though the games may be blacked out, at least the fans will be able to watch them at a later time.

Scott Campbell
09-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Seems like a pretty good compromise to me. Though the games may be blacked out, at least the fans will be able to watch them at a later time.

I bet the Fox affiliate in Minneapolis is doing a happy dance tonight.

Little Whiskey
09-10-2009, 11:25 PM
NFL partially lifts blackouts; games can be seen online after delay

NEW YORK — NFL fans whose local teams' games are blacked out will be able to watch replays online for free — though not until after midnight.

if i don't live in Greenbay. Will i still be able to watch the games after midnight?

Fritz
09-12-2009, 11:21 AM

Yes - fans who have computers and non-dial-up internet access. Sometimes we forget that not everybody has a computer and internet access. In my area, many people still have only digital access. Older folks don't have computers at all in many cases.