PDA

View Full Version : Twigby ready to set doubters straight

Partial
09-12-2009, 01:15 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/59088257.html

Twigby is always injured. He's like a twig. Thus the name.

Dissapointed to hear Bishop didn't get any reps this week. WTF. He is a playmaker.

boiga
09-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Bigby basically admitted to playing soft during the preseason to avoid injury and get his handle on the new defense. That ought to have ended with the last preseason game. He also berated the media for ditching him so fast in favor of Smith.

We'll see if he's back to normal on Sunday. I personally think he'll bounce back just fine.

All reports on Bishop were that he was a playmaker who took more risks than the coaches were comfortable with. That's not what we are looking for while we are installing the new system. Two sacks and a loss of containment of Forte would lose us the game.

CaptainKickass
09-12-2009, 02:44 AM
TWENTYSIXHUNDRED!!!!!!!

With Atari Bigby, at least the media gets his name correct. Who the F is Lewis Tillman?

In Chicago, cornerback Lewis Tillman (back) practiced all week but is questionable. It looks like it will either be Tillman and Zack Bowman or Bowman and Nathan Vasher.

SkinBasket
09-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Dissapointed to hear Bishop didn't get any reps this week. WTF. He is a playmaker.

He made some plays in the first 2 preseason games when utilized heavily in an aggressive role on a defense that was dominating the opposing team.

Interesting how you label Bishop a "playmaker" after the preseaon, while Rodgers is simply "improved." I sense a discrepancy in your fanboy logic.

ThunderDan
09-12-2009, 09:12 AM

He made some plays in the first 2 preseason games when utilized heavily in an aggressive role on a defense that was dominating the opposing team.

Interesting how you label Bishop a "playmaker" after the preseaon, while Rodgers is simply "improved." I sense a discrepancy in your fanboy logic.

Ding..Ding...Ding! We have a winner!!

bobblehead
09-12-2009, 09:38 AM

I only recall the ankle injury last season....now granted, I only have 2 seasons of knowing who the hell he is, but one injured ankle doesn't make "always injured"...am I forgetting some??

Tony Oday
09-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Bishop is a solid back up thats it.

red
09-12-2009, 10:37 AM
bigby is still over rated to me. he had a good run in the playoffs 2 years ago, and that's been it. and really you only say he had good games because he had a handful of big hits in those games

besides those big hits, in those few games, he's been JAG for us. he has yet to show the same effort and intencity that he showed in those few games

Fritz
09-12-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm not too big on the idea of Bigby being all that big. Be that as it may be, big hits by Bigby would be big.

Partial
09-12-2009, 11:01 AM

They both were playmakers this preseason. Didn't Bishop force 4 turnovers?

Partial
09-12-2009, 11:02 AM

I only recall the ankle injury last season....now granted, I only have 2 seasons of knowing who the hell he is, but one injured ankle doesn't make "always injured"...am I forgetting some??

He missed his rookie year with a broken ankle. I think there was an injury that kept him outta the U too. He could have had another season ender as a pro too. I think this is his 4th or 5th year with one full non-injured season under his belt.

Lurker64
09-12-2009, 12:10 PM

He's an important ST guy too. He has the perfect mentality for a special teamer, in terms of being willing to sacrifice his body in order to deliver crushing hits. Now, he'll probably never be Steve Tasker, but he'll stick as a member of our special teams for as many seasons as he's willing to play like a man possessed.

bobblehead
09-12-2009, 12:43 PM
bigby is still over rated to me. he had a good run in the playoffs 2 years ago, and that's been it. and really you only say he had good games because he had a handful of big hits in those games

besides those big hits, in those few games, he's been JAG for us. he has yet to show the same effort and intencity that he showed in those few games

I could be wrong, but weren't you all over Grant's jock for having a great run at about the same time? Other than those few games grant hasn't been anything special either.

As for them only being good games because of the handful of big hits, I would say the interceptions down the stretch that year were kinda big. He was excelling at pass and run defense before he hurt his ankle.

Now if partial is right and its been the same old story, big hitter, always hurt, then his career may fizzle, but if he is indeed healthy and plays the way I recall (he and grant) I think we are in for a BIG season.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-12-2009, 01:09 PM

He missed his rookie year with a broken ankle. I think there was an injury that kept him outta the U too. He could have had another season ender as a pro too. I think this is his 4th or 5th year with one full non-injured season under his belt.

rookie year: Nope. He was signed midseason by us off practice squad and played 5. He was out at the end for 3 games with a hammy.

U: Nope. He didn't have an injury...he just wasnt good enough.

It might be nice if you could get your facts straight.

Lurker64
09-12-2009, 02:11 PM

rookie year: Nope. He was signed midseason by us off practice squad and played 5. He was out at the end for 3 games with a hammy.

I don't think you understand Ty: any player who was injured last year, regardless of whether or not he missed playing time in the past due to injury, is "injury prone". We can make up injuries from the past in order to justify these claims if need be.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-12-2009, 02:16 PM

I don't think you understand Ty: any player who was injured last year, regardless of whether or not he missed playing time in the past due to injury, is "injury prone". We can make up injuries from the past in order to justify these claims if need be.

Sorry.

But, didn't those 5 picks he had his rookie year counter the injuries. And, man, do your remember those sacks he had as well...and how about those licks he put on Marino.

Partial
09-12-2009, 02:56 PM

I said I THINK. Fuck off, guy.

U: Opted not to go because he would have had to cut his hair. You're wrong, as usual.

In 2006, Bigby missed out with an injury. I'm 90% sure of this.

In 2008, Bigby was hurt all year.

Lurker, fuck off with your condescending bullshit. Jenkins is injury prone. How can you possibly disagree with that. Harrell is injury prone. How can you disagree with that? Bigby has been injured for two seasons to playing well in one. 2 injured : 1 solid = injury prone.

Tony Oday
09-12-2009, 02:56 PM

He's an important ST guy too. He has the perfect mentality for a special teamer, in terms of being willing to sacrifice his body in order to deliver crushing hits. Now, he'll probably never be Steve Tasker, but he'll stick as a member of our special teams for as many seasons as he's willing to play like a man possessed.

so true sorry should have put that as well.

Lurker64
09-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Jenkins is injury prone. How can you possibly disagree with that.

I can disagree with it because it's not correct. Prior to tearing a pectoral muscle last year, Jenkins played in all but 2 games as a Packer (in 2006 he sustained an ankle injury in week 5 which caused him to miss 2 games). So prior to tearing his pec, he played in 66 of 68 games since he first put on a Packer uniform.

And despite how "injured" he was in 2007, he still managed to start 15 games (plus two in the playoffs) and have a career year in terms of tackles and pressures. The knock on him during 2007 was not that he sustained more minor injuries than anybody else (in fact, he sustained a pretty normal number of minor injuries, since everybody gets them during a football season) it was that the coaches wanted him to improve his ability to play through pain. But "not being able to play through pain" does not make you injury prone.

Since a torn pectoral muscle is not exactly an injury that it likely to reoccur if treated properly, there is absolutely no case for Jenkins being injury prone.

But no, I would not ever call "injury prone" a player who only missed two games in the last five years prior to sustaining a major injury. Particularly when that player is a lineman.

EDIT: Oh, and Jenkins also started every game during his season in NFL Europe, as well as every game during his Jr. and Sr. years at Central Michigan. He had limited action in his freshman and sophomore years and did not redshirt.

Partial
09-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Okay, you're right and the coaches are wrong. It's well-documented that the coached didn't start Jenkins until the end of 2006 because he was injured. The coaches ripped him in 2007 for an underwhelming performance due to not playing through injuries. In 2008, he missed basically the entire season because of injury.

But you're right.

MJZiggy
09-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I think you're thinking of someone else...

red
09-12-2009, 04:18 PM

I could be wrong, but weren't you all over Grant's jock for having a great run at about the same time? Other than those few games grant hasn't been anything special either.

umm, i have no clue if that was me or not

doesn't sound like me

Tyrone Bigguns
09-12-2009, 04:20 PM

U: Opted not to go because he would have had to cut his hair. You're wrong, as usual.

Lurker, fuck off with your condescending bullshit. Jenkins is injury prone. How can you possibly disagree with that. Harrell is injury prone. How can you disagree with that? Bigby has been injured for two seasons to playing well in one. 2 injured : 1 solid = injury prone.

You did you think..as a way to buttress you point of being oft injured. But, you were wrong.

Miami: you said injured, now it is the hair. So, you lose the injury history to support your view and the reason he didn't go to miami.

But, you are wrong on this as well. That is bigby's story. too bad you'll never find one source that shows miami was actively recruiting him or even made him an offer.

BTW, did you know that miami wanted me to play football, but they wanted me to grow taller and get bigger. I didn't want that..so i chose to go to UW and not play football.

2006: Yep. But not an ankle. I already told you...missed 3 games at the end for a hammy.

You can not construe missing 3 games at the end of the season in 06 and being hurt in 08 as injury prone.

Not like i even like bigby..i think he stinks and would like him off the squad as soon as they can find someone better.

Fritz
09-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Jeez-o-petes, Partial. Next time, gather up the facts beforehand, and then make one of your bold statements.

You might be a good cornerback, Partial. You're always backpedaling.

SkinBasket
09-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Jeez-o-petes, Partial. Next time, gather up the facts beforehand, and then make one of your bold statements.

Maybe Partial's just a believer in tradition.

gex
09-12-2009, 11:08 PM

That was a good opening for some Terrance and Phillip back and forth:
I'm not your guy, buddy!
I'm not your buddy,friend!
I'm not your friend, guy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uzJVkeaUI

Partial
10-13-2009, 10:00 PM
BOOM, this guy is such a twig. Can't even practice after x weeks off :(

bobblehead
10-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Not sure I would bump a thread where I got absolutely schooled on the "jenkins is injury prone" debate.

but you are right....bigby is still hurt.

th87
10-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Not sure I would bump a thread where I got absolutely schooled on the "jenkins is injury prone" debate.

No jinxing!

sheepshead
10-14-2009, 07:18 AM
With the exception of Brett Favre everybody is Injury Prone. One of the most overused terms in sports.

swede
10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Torrance Marshall, Abdul Hodge, or Desmond Bishop as Most Valuable Forum Fodder/Linebacker Division?

I'm thinking the tiebreaker goes to Torrance Marshall based on his girlfriend.

Partial
10-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Schooled? Jenkins is the most injury prone player on the Packers. Just because he has played through an injury does not mean he's playing effectively. Honestly the only reason he's in there, in that case, is because he is a giant body.

No way am I wrong on Jenkins. He missed all of last year - injury. He sucked in 2007 - Injury. He missed much of 2006.. the reason they waited for the last 4 games to move him to end - injury. 3 out of the last 3 years he missed significant time. Please explain to me how that is not injury prone?!?

In my opinion, he is a tease and someone they should move on from after his contract. He's very good when healthy, but when he gets even banged up a little bit he morphs to average immediately.

The most important element of being a great player is being available imo.

sheepshead
10-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Why don't you explain how you came up with the name "twigby" again. That's always a good read the ninth time around.

ThunderDan
10-14-2009, 03:36 PM
No way am I wrong on Jenkins. He missed all of last year - injury. He sucked in 2007 - Injury. He missed much of 2006.. the reason they waited for the last 4 games to move him to end - injury. 3 out of the last 3 years he missed significant time. Please explain to me how that is not injury prone?!?

If I remember correctly KGB was getting his ass blown off the end in running downs so they put Jenkins out there to anchor the right side of the line.

bobblehead
10-14-2009, 03:46 PM

Schooled? Jenkins is the most injury prone player on the Packers. Just because he has played through an injury does not mean he's playing effectively. Honestly the only reason he's in there, in that case, is because he is a giant body.

In my opinion, he is a tease and someone they should move on from after his contract. He's very good when healthy, but when he gets even banged up a little bit he morphs to average immediately.

Aj Hawk is injury prone. Last year he was injured and sucked all year long. 1/3 of his career he has been hurt and sucked. Never mind that he never misses a game.

sharpe1027
10-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Injury prone is fine by me; I really hate when guys are "injury erect."

Hey Partial, how hard is it to say "Hmm, I guess he wasn't injured as much as I originally thought. Still, he has missed a lot of time the past two years."

Partial
10-14-2009, 05:02 PM

If I remember correctly KGB was getting his ass blown off the end in running downs so they put Jenkins out there to anchor the right side of the line.

Yes, that is the reason the opted to make the move to situational rusher. The reason they waited so long was for them to be comfortable and confident that Jenkins could handle starters snaps. I believe it was an ankle but I'm not positive.

Partial
10-14-2009, 05:06 PM

Aj Hawk is injury prone. Last year he was injured and sucked all year long. 1/3 of his career he has been hurt and sucked. Never mind that he never misses a game.

But Jenkins does miss games... How many of those games was he expected to be a starter the first few years? None, so he sat on the bench. He wasn't required to be as available. I don't think it's fair to compare the situations. Hawk has been hurt for one year out of three. Obviously one year isn't enough to form a correlation...

Now Harrell, on the other hand, has missed 3 years in a row basically... he's a walking injury, just like Jenkins, who consequently has had three injury plagued years in a row now.

Partial
10-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Injury prone is fine by me; I really hate when guys are "injury erect."

Hey Partial, how hard is it to say "Hmm, I guess he wasn't injured as much as I originally thought. Still, he has missed a lot of time the past two years."

He didn't miss as much time as I thought. However, he know he was active for some games.. doesn't necessarily mean he played in them.

Point is:

1. Missed all of last year with an injury after getting off to a hot start
2. Coaches were extremely dissapointed in his poor play in 2007 after being nicked up.
3. The reason the coaches couldn't start him earlier in 2006 was injuries (if I remember correctly).

Freak Out
10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Don't mess with THUG. :smack:

pbmax
10-14-2009, 06:45 PM
3. The reason the coaches couldn't start him earlier in 2006 was injuries (if I remember correctly).
This will probably come as a surprise to the reporters covering the game who reported KGB's benching four San Francisco offensive plays into the game and their surprise that a DT was asked to take his place.

There wasn't a plan, they got tired of KGB just running upfield.

Edit: 2 San Francisco offensive plays.

Jenkins played in 14 games that year.

Partial
10-14-2009, 07:15 PM
This will probably come as a surprise to the reporters covering the game who reported KGB's benching four San Francisco offensive plays into the game and their surprise that a DT was asked to take his place.

He played in 14 games but I've heard on numerous occasion (I believe from Bretsky?) that the coaches didn't make the move earlier because Jenkins was not anywhere near 100% and not playing great.

Brandon494
10-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Bigby is like Bob Sanders, expect not good. :lol:

He is better than what we have no but hopefully we'll have a new starter at SS next season or a vetern SS to backup Bigby. cough cough Anothy Smith. :x

Zool
10-14-2009, 09:11 PM

He is better than what we have no but hopefully we'll have a new starter at SS next season or a vetern SS to backup Bigby. cough cough Anothy Smith. :x

Anthony Smith wasn't even ACTIVE for the Rams against the Pack. Non-injury scratch. He's that bad.

Partial
10-14-2009, 09:12 PM

Anthony Smith wasn't even ACTIVE for the Rams against the Pack. Non-injury scratch. He's that bad.

Yeah but he is probably just learning there system. Had Roues still been on the team Martin wouldn't have been active either to the counterpoint.

Zool
10-14-2009, 09:16 PM

Yeah but he is probably just learning there system. Had Roues still been on the team Martin wouldn't have been active either to the counterpoint.

He's been active for 1 game this year.

Bretsky
10-14-2009, 09:19 PM

Yet we miss his play; honestly he looked better in the preseason than several we kept on the team

but inactive for the dam Rams

statement on how sad these guys are

[/b]

MJZiggy
10-14-2009, 09:50 PM
statement on how sad these guys are

Bigger statement is that we're having this intense a conversation about them.

Cheesehead Craig
10-14-2009, 09:56 PM

He played in 14 games but I've heard on numerous occasion (I believe from Bretsky?) that the coaches didn't make the move earlier because Jenkins was not anywhere near 100% and not playing great.

Here is an article that seems to give Partial some credibility on this subject:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29225819.html (Dec 18, 2006 article)

The relevant part of the article:
When Jenkins was asked why it took the coaches so long to make the change, he gave the politically correct answer, saying he had been hampered much of this season by an ankle injury that still bothered him.

Now, it seems that there is a difference of definition of "injury prone". Partial appears to take this as a player has an injury over a long period of time regardless if they play in the game or not and it hinders their play. Others believe that being injury prone means that a player is missing games due to injury. I believe that is where the crux of the argument and misunderstanding is.

Perhaps some clarification on terms will help out in the future.

Bretsky
10-15-2009, 07:06 AM

If you read all of the insider reference there were several notations about how Jenkins is banged up and was playing through pain much of that season. He got healthy at end of that year. That was me who was often noting that.

pbmax
10-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Fair enough.

But I suspect the politically correct answer "ankle" is not the real reason. Code for what the coaches wanted him to say. That sounds like a cover for "money".

Guiness
10-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Not following you here, pb.

Are you trying to say Jenkins wasn't playing, or wasn't playing well in an attempt to get more money/cause he wasn't happy with his contract?