PDA

View Full Version : What to do at Right Tackle?

Deputy Nutz
09-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Barbre is far from a polished player at right tackle, we all knew that he struggles against pass rushers, he doesn't have the fundamentals at this point. He played one season at offensive line at some bumble fuck college. It is going to take some time. I say get the Italian guy ready from Louisville, but chaulk this performance up to nerves, but don't give Barbre a free pass.

Mr. T
09-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Barbre is far from a polished player at right tackle, we all knew that he struggles against pass rushers, he doesn't have the fundamentals at this point. He played one season at offensive line at some bumble fuck college. It is going to take some time. I say get the Italian guy ready from Louisville, but chaulk this performance up to nerves, but don't give Barbre a free pass.
I think it's clear that we need a vet. I'd be ok with a journeyman. Anything to be a stop gap for Barbre.

How raw is Meredith? Maybe he'll get his chance.

Deputy Nutz
09-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I think it's clear that we need a vet. I'd be ok with a journeyman. Anything to be a stop gap for Barbre.

How raw is Meredith? Maybe he'll get his chance.

I thought they cut Meredith.

Mr. T
09-13-2009, 10:57 PM
He's on the PS.

Scott Campbell
09-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Did Sitton play much better? The whole right side looked suspect in pass protection.

Deputy Nutz
09-13-2009, 10:58 PM
He's on the PS.

Well there is your answer. Barber is miles ahead of him. If he made it through waivers he belongs on the practice squad.

Mr. T
09-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Did Sitton play much better? The whole right side looked suspect in pass protection.
I thought he looked ok. I didn't really hear his name. No news is good news.

PackerTimer
Probably nothing yet. He has a really rough game but he did play a little bit better in the second half. You usually give a guy more than one week before you make a change.

He will have to play better though.

Deputy Nutz

Sitton didn't look great, I think they had issues with line calls, and the pre-snap reads. When you are thinking out there your body simply doesn't react the way it should.

Barbre is raw, he probably needs some help out there, but next to Colledge he is probably our most talented run blocker.

falco
09-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Probably nothing yet. He has a really rough game but he did play a little bit better in the second half. You usually give a guy more than one week before you make a change.

He will have to play better though.

Yup - let him play a few more games...if he can't hold up against the bengals and rams, we panic.

bobblehead
09-13-2009, 11:03 PM
This was an ugly game. Babre was far and away the worst player on the field today...God, I hope its only nerves, but he looked horrendous.

That Chillar guy, just a glorified SS.

Freak Out
09-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Blocking sled?

Partial
09-13-2009, 11:05 PM

Horrible player get him off the field!! 8-)

Lurker64
09-13-2009, 11:05 PM
To early to overreact about RT, wait until we look at the tape.... then storm Allen Barbre's house with torches and pitchforks.

Scott Campbell
09-13-2009, 11:06 PM

Didn't he draw a holding penalty?

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2009, 11:07 PM
I'd preach patience, but I'd have a short lease. I think whomever said give him the next two games and then see where he's at is right. I think Charles Woodson might be the best corner in the NFC, and he wasn't exactly stellar tonight. Guys have bad games. Hopefully, it's something that can be corrected. Anybody heard any news on Tausch, btw?

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2009, 11:09 PM

Didn't he draw a holding penalty?

I thought Sitton was pretty good. The one holding call I thought was very iffy. I did miss one holding call while I was in the john though. (I don't even know if that one was on him.) There were at least a few plays where Sitton shut down Tommie Harris blocking him one on one. Tonight, it was pretty much all on Barbre. Fortunately, you can game plan to help a tackle out. You don't like to do it, but our receivers are so good that I think we can get away with it.

mission
09-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Ya Sitton looked pretty good... that holding call was questionable.

Carolina_Packer
09-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Hopefully it's a teachable moment for Barbre. You gotta start somewhere, and while he struggled, he can only go up from here. Don't know if it was pad level, technique or what? Give the Bears DE some credit too. He's hard to handle. It will be very interesting to see how Barbre responds to this game. Hopefully he mans up and shows he belongs because I don't think anyone else is coming through the door to save them.

gbgary
09-13-2009, 11:11 PM
he wasn't the only one that had trouble. give him some more time and a little help from a tightend now and then...he'll be fine. http://images.redcafe.net/images/smilies/nervous.gif

boiga
09-13-2009, 11:12 PM
It's also possible that the DE Ugedsoahasidgh is actually that good. No excuse for that level of play, but I think that Barbre just got a nasty introduction to playing as an NFL starter. He'll improve over time and by game four shouldn't be as much of a liability.

After all, if Colledge can improve, Barbre should have no problem.

Also, Barbre did a decent job run blocking few times, so give some credit. He has much more upside in the run game than Tausch did.

red
09-13-2009, 11:13 PM
well, tomorrow i could drive a rock from my yard down to green bay.

its about 4 inches around

i think putting it on the right side of the line might be a better option then what we saw tonight

i also have a 3 inch stone, if we want to go with a smaller quicker look, or a big 6 incher if we really want to plug things up

those options might actually slow the de's down just a tad

esoxx
09-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Breno about got Flynn killed in the preseason game against the Bills against a 3rd string DE. He's not close to the answer.
Clifton's solid on the other side, so shift protection to right side, chip w/ a back or motion TE to help out Barbre until he gets it's going.
Or sign Tauchser and cut Breno.

pbmax
09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
To early to overreact about RT, wait until we look at the tape.... then storm Allen Barbre's house with torches and pitchforks.
We should find out if he has a dog. :lol:

Partial
09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Don't hurt the dog.

pbmax
09-13-2009, 11:21 PM
well, tomorrow i could drive a rock from my yard down to green bay.

its about 4 inches around

i think putting it on the right side of the line might be a better option then what we saw tonight

i also have a 3 inch stone, if we want to go with a smaller quicker look, or a big 6 incher if we really want to plug things up

those options might actually slow the de's down just a tad
Traffic cone would be less work and easier to see.

pbmax
09-13-2009, 11:25 PM
He has to get some reps under his belt. He didn't collapse in the 2nd half and had a couple of good players on the last drive.

Giacomini struggled in pass blocking in preseason and that is supposed to be his strong suit.

I would say they will give Lang reps at RT to back him up and relieve him if the struggles don't get better by the 3rd game.

Brohm
09-13-2009, 11:27 PM

Chillar v. run tonight is something to talk about :D

Partial
09-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Stay the course, make some coaching adjustments by giving him help and keeping a player in the backfield to protect ARod and work the screen.

pbmax
09-13-2009, 11:36 PM

Chillar v. run tonight is something to talk about :D
Don't get carried away. Chillar whiffed off a block on Forte's best run in the first half.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2009, 12:47 AM
I say get the Italian guy ready from Louisville, but chaulk this performance up to nerves, but don't give Barbre a free pass.

You gotta be kidding me. Giacomini is a big slug, even less agile than Barbre. He is a practice squad type guy.

Barbre is what he is - a good drive blocker, probably should be playing at right guard.

IF you want to point fingers, I would say take aim at TT. They have zero depth at tackle.

I know they don't want to do it, but Colledge needs to play right tackle.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2009, 12:52 AM
chip w/ a back or motion TE to help out Barbre until he gets it's going.
Or sign Tauchser and cut Breno.

I am fine with signing Tauscher if he can walk.

Everybody keeps saying they didn't give Barbre any help. I saw just the opposite, starting with the second offensive series. The tight ends were taking shots at Ogunleye. I saw backs-help out too, although they were ineffective.

Ogunleye is a monster when he's 100% healthy.

Pugger
09-14-2009, 12:56 AM
That's the thing. I don't think Tauscher is physically able to play yet. I'm hoping a couple of games against lesser D linemen the next 2 weeks will help with Barbre's confidence and blocking before we go to MN.

Bossman641
09-14-2009, 08:44 AM
I don't think Barbre could have looked any worse. Ogunleye beat him with a couple speed rushes to the outside early on. Once that happened you could tell Barbre was completely out of synch. He started overplaying the speed rush and then Ogunleye was beating him with counter moves to the inside.

I think we are going to have to live and die with Barbre. Give him some help early on next week to get his confidence up a little and see how it goes from there.

I think everybody had a bit of week 1 jitters. Rodgers seemed off, WR were dropping passes left and right.

Gunakor
09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
I know they don't want to do it, but Colledge needs to play right tackle.

Absolutely.

Guiness
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
I am fine with signing Tauscher if he can walk.

Everybody keeps saying they didn't give Barbre any help. I saw just the opposite, starting with the second offensive series. The tight ends were taking shots at Ogunleye. I saw backs-help out too, although they were ineffective.

Ogunleye is a monster when he's 100% healthy.

QFT.

Og is a handful. They showed a good replay where he did an inside counter on Barbre, blew through a chip block (Lee?) and got a hand on Rodgers almost before he finished his drop.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
I think we are going to have to live and die with Barbre. Give him some help early on next week to get his confidence up a little and see how it goes from there.

Just like when Adrian Klemm and Will Whitiker failed miserably, the Packers had to replace them midseason with someone less bad.

I hate to say it, but TT's misfires at guard a few years ago are playing out at the right tackle position this season. It was obvious in the preseason that the PAckers were EXTREMELY vulnerable at tackle, especially right tackle, with no experience for a starter and Practice Squad specials for backups.

I think everybody had a bit of week 1 jitters. Rodgers seemed off, WR were dropping passes left and right.

Rodgers was out of rhythm, and why shouldn't he be? The receivers dropped passes, but a lot of them were a little hard and off, not like the sweet spirals that Rodgers was laying in there hands in the preseason.

I'm not blaming Barbre, he did his best, plenty of offensive linemen take a year or two to get good. Ogunleye single-handedly disrupted the packer offense.

If Mark Tauscher doesn't heal this fall, I wonder if Tootie Robbins has been on the exercise bike.

Moving Colledge to tackle might be the realistic option. I really doubt Lang could be an upgrade .

Tarlam!
09-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I know nothing about our next two opponents, but I know that DL from Minnie will have a field day with our OL on pass-pro if we "don't get that fixed".

Bossman641
09-14-2009, 09:55 AM

Just like when Adrian Klemm and Will Whitiker failed miserably, the Packers had to replace them midseason with someone less bad.

I hate to say it, but TT's misfires at guard a few years ago are playing out at the right tackle position this season. It was obvious in the preseason that the PAckers were EXTREMELY vulnerable at tackle, especially right tackle, with no experience for a starter and Practice Squad specials for backups.

Rodgers was out of rhythm, and why shouldn't he be? The receivers dropped passes, but a lot of them were a little hard and off, not like the sweet spirals that Rodgers was laying in there hands in the preseason.

I'm not blaming Barbre, he did his best, plenty of offensive linemen take a year or two to get good. Ogunleye single-handedly disrupted the packer offense.

If Mark Tauscher doesn't heal this fall, I wonder if Tootie Robbins has been on the exercise bike.

Moving Colledge to tackle might be the realistic option. I really doubt Lang could be an upgrade .

I definitely agree if Barbre continues to look as horrible as he did there is no way you keep him in there. I'm just not quite ready to give up on him just yet.

Fritz
09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
If he works on his pad level and knee bend, he'll be fine. :D

imscott72
09-14-2009, 11:08 AM

He looked awful yes, but I'd like to see him for one more week before they pull the plug. He'll put in a long week of work I'm sure so we'll see what happens against the Bungles.

pbmax
09-14-2009, 11:11 AM

Give the kid a chance. Its not mid-season, its one game. Yes it was ugly, but its his first start. He needs to show improvement next week, not be shown the door. Yet.

Scott Campbell
09-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Ogunleye single-handedly disrupted the packer offense.

I'm going to agree with you. He was Jenkins-esque. I wonder if our offense was really as bad as it looked, or if it was just one guy?

imscott72
09-14-2009, 11:19 AM

I'm going to agree with you. He was Jenkins-esque. I wonder if our offense was really as bad as it looked, or if it was just one guy?

I do think it was one guy. Og was constantly in the backfield disrupting the timing of the plays. When they finally got some help for Barbre, Arod had some more time to let the play develop and we had some success. It's amazing what one monster pass rusher can do to throw off the whole offense. Og seemed to have Reggie White type impact.

swede
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
I think Barbre is going to be fine. For whatever reason, probably Og's quickness, he showed horrible footwork for three and a half quarters of the game. His ass end was locked down like his feet were stuck in cow shit and he tried to knock Og off his rush with a single lunge--like that would ever work. Late in the game they ran a replay of Barbre when he did get the job done and it finally looked as if he was shuffling and sliding the way a good lineman should.

If he got away with bad habits in college he'll learn good ones by next week or he'll be benched the way Colledge was in his first season.

jmo

Noodle
09-14-2009, 12:29 PM

I'm going to agree with you.

I knew it would happen eventually -- you two should get a room.

Fritz
09-14-2009, 12:32 PM
I think Barbre is going to be fine. For whatever reason, probably Og's quickness, he showed horrible footwork for three and a half quarters of the game. His ass end was locked down like his feet were stuck in cow shit and he tried to knock Og off his rush with a single lunge--like that would ever work. Late in the game they ran a replay of Barbre when he did get the job done and it finally looked as if he was shuffling and sliding the way a good lineman should.

If he got away with bad habits in college he'll learn good ones by next week or he'll be benched the way Colledge was in his first season.

jmo

Swede, were you a coach?

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2009, 12:36 PM
The bad thing about the game: Barbre. The good thing: I think he almost singled-handedly bogged down the Packers offense (plus a couple of debatable holding calls and drops). They'll have to account for him now. I'm not sure they thought he'd be that bad. I thought Colledge, Spitz, and Sitton held up well.

swede
09-14-2009, 03:17 PM
His ass end was locked down like his feet were stuck in cow shit and he tried to knock Og off his rush with a single lunge--like that would ever work...jmo

Swede, were you a coach?

Because my kid is a running back I had a vested interest in working with the offensive line in youth football. My kid is on to freshman ball this year but I'm staying on because it's great fun to teach kids about the game. Part of the fun is shocking the boys with the artistic use of manly language (See Gran Torino).

It is a big challenge at every level of football to get the big boys to lower their asses, use their feet, and...all together now...get their pad level down. Sometimes the biggest most talented ones are most stubborn because they can get away with using size and strength to overcome poor leverage for a long time.

Barbre has been around a couple of years now but I believe this was his first big game as a starter. I think he panicked and forget to use techniques they start teaching in Pop Warner. I think he'll be better next week.

hoosier
09-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Wasn't Barbre supposed to be the most athletic lineman on the team? If that's the case it's hard for me to imagine how he's suddenly going to recover. Ogunleye didn't beat him with raw power.

swede
09-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Wasn't Barbre supposed to be the most athletic lineman on the team? If that's the case it's hard for me to imagine how he's suddenly going to recover. Ogunleye didn't beat him with raw power.

You are right about that methinks. He beat him with speed by going around wide. Then he'd get Barbre leaning out and go the other way.

Maybe Barbre is too slow to play RT, but then what the hell is up with all this talk about being athletic? (Not meaning you, Hoosier, but them who represent "they") If Barbre is the most athletic lineman doesn't that suggest quickness and strength?

I remember that Colledge sucked pretty bad in the early part of his rookie year. I'm just leaving open the possibility that Barbre is not a permanently horrible RT and that he may be rehabilitated by applying some discipline to his technique.

Lurker64
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Barbre is certainly athletic, anybody who has seen him get down the field on special teams coverage can tell you that. I think a lot of the holes in his game at this point are mental, he just looked beat and demoralized for parts of that game and I don't think we got the best out of him.

He's a strong, fast dude. He's just relatively inexperienced and he's not the sharpest bulb in this metaphor.

sharpe1027
09-14-2009, 03:59 PM

He did a great job of holding Ogunleye's hand all the way to the QB. Sad part was, he didn't wiff, he just kinda walked with him to the QB.

Patler
09-14-2009, 04:42 PM

You are right about that methinks. He beat him with speed by going around wide. Then he'd get Barbre leaning out and go the other way.

Maybe Barbre is too slow to play RT, but then what the hell is up with all this talk about being athletic? (Not meaning you, Hoosier, but them who represent "they") If Barbre is the most athletic lineman doesn't that suggest quickness and strength?

I remember that Colledge sucked pretty bad in the early part of his rookie year. I'm just leaving open the possibility that Barbre is not a permanently horrible RT and that he may be rehabilitated by applying some discipline to his technique.

Mike Wahle was acknowledged to be the most athletic lineman on the team when he was in GB, which made the team think he could play left tackle. Unlike Barbre, who has no NFL playing experience to speak of, when Wahle made the switch he had started the year before at guard. Wahle was just as bad at LT as Barbre was last night at RT. After a handful of games, Clifton took over and Wahle disappeared to the bench, to re-emerge as a guard again the next season.

Just because you are the best raw athlete doesn't necessarily mean you can play tackle. On the other hand, I believe Barbre was a tackle in college, unlike Wahle.

Tony Oday
09-14-2009, 04:55 PM
OG is a top tier DE...Babre is not a top tier RT yet...this is scheme IMO...when Finley was chipping OG Babre could take him on. Reminds me of Korey Stringer agains Reggie, yeah Stringer was good but not that good!