PDA

View Full Version : Dom Capers makes a smashing debut!

oregonpackfan
09-14-2009, 12:48 AM
There were a number of great individual performances on the Packers defensive unit tonight but if one person has to be singled out for praise, it has to be defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

Many of us were wary of the implementation of the 3-4 defense for the Packers. We thought it would take half a season for the players to be comfortable with it. But the players during the preseason and this first game seem to be adjusting very well.

One intangible I like is the swarming mentality of the defensive unit. They seem much more determined and aggressive. I also saw a lot of team tackling out there.

Last year, the defense seemed to predictable. With Capers' defense tonight, the Bears did not seem to know who was going to blitz or how many players were going to blitz.

Cutler was really knocked off balance by the Packers' during the first half which led to 3 interceptions.

Though the Bears scored 15 points tonight, the offense scored just 13 points when you subtract the safety. If the Packers can hold their opponents to an average of 13 points during the season, that will lead to many wins.

pbmax
09-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Just remember, no one has film on us playing this defense. That will begin to change, and by week 5, teams will have the full complement of film (they usually go back 4 weeks) of us and the Capers 3-4.

The Good News? We did it with Jolly as a backup NT and without Raji. The coverage in the secondary will get tighter too.

Scott Campbell
09-14-2009, 02:02 AM
All the concerns about our run defense turned to be much ado about nothing in this game. Forte had 55 yards on 25 carries.

Badgerinmaine
09-14-2009, 06:46 AM
All the concerns about our run defense turned to be much ado about nothing in this game. Forte had 55 yards on 25 carries.
The first thing I saw on my computer this morning was a Facebook update from a friend in my fantasy football league lamenting drafting Matt Forte 2nd in the draft. I told him to cheer up because he won't have to play the Packers every week. :-)
OPF, as usual, you are spot on. Dang, that was fun last night.

Zool
09-14-2009, 09:09 AM
I think the whole D coaching staff needs praised. Almost every single tackle I noticed the defenders attempting to strip. They all look way more aggressive than I ever recall. Finishing hits with a little extra etc.

Packgator
09-14-2009, 09:15 AM
I think the whole D coaching staff needs praised. Almost every single tackle I noticed the defenders attempting to strip. They all look way more aggressive than I ever recall. Finishing hits with a little extra etc.

Always had lots of guys around the ball. Gang tackles all night long.

mission
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM

I noticed that about the strips. Non stop all night. Just a different mentality.

No FFs but I'll take the 4 INTs any day... it's a feeding frenzy out there.

Packgator
09-14-2009, 10:08 AM
No FFs but I'll take the 4 INTs any day... it's a feeding frenzy out there.

Woodson nearly forced one........on his own guy! What a disaster that "almost" was.

pbmax
09-15-2009, 11:51 PM
"It was designed for what we were doing," Capers said of Jolly's positioning. "We wanted to come with edge pressure because of Cutler's ability to get out on the perimeter. With that, Johnny has that man (Forte) man-to-man. He's covering the guy. I don't think they were anticipating one of our linemen covering the guy man-to-man."

That statement makes me love this defense just a little bit more. Of course Johnny Jolly is covering the back one on one!

I am not sure how this is really different than how another system would defend a middle screen, but the fact that they had planned for it AND Jolly executed it the first time he saw it, is a confidence builder.

bobblehead
09-16-2009, 12:31 AM
"It was designed for what we were doing," Capers said of Jolly's positioning. "We wanted to come with edge pressure because of Cutler's ability to get out on the perimeter. With that, Johnny has that man (Forte) man-to-man. He's covering the guy. I don't think they were anticipating one of our linemen covering the guy man-to-man."

That statement makes me love this defense just a little bit more. Of course Johnny Jolly is covering the back one on one!

I am not sure how this is really different than how another system would defend a middle screen, but the fact that they had planned for it AND Jolly executed it the first time he saw it, is a confidence builder.
jolly has a gift for sniffing out screens. In his short itme here I have seen him blow up more screens than anyone I can ever recall.

SnakeLH2006
09-16-2009, 01:30 AM
jolly has a gift for sniffing out screens. In his short itme here I have seen him blow up more screens than anyone I can ever recall.

Between that and Jenkins just whooping through double-teams all night like a man-beast.... Damn...That DL looks good...Still waiting for Kampy to be a factor, though, as his slimmed-down physique doesn't do him favors with his edge rush vs. OT's. That was his bread 'n butter (big guy with quickness at DE)...now he just looks a guy at OLB.

Gunakor
09-16-2009, 01:41 AM
Still waiting for Kampy to be a factor, though, as his slimmed-down physique doesn't do him favors with his edge rush vs. OT's. That was his bread 'n butter (big guy with quickness at DE)...now he just looks a guy at OLB.

Kampman didn't make any plays, but I don't remember him being called out for any mistakes either. For it being his first regular season start at the new position I think he did alright.

The defense as a whole certainly didn't look hamstrung by Kampman at OLB. The pressure was still getting to Cutler. As much as I'd like to see Kampy do well individually, I'd rather Kampy be just a guy at OLB on a pressure defense that gets results than have Kampy as a Pro Bowl DE on a vanilla defense that can't stop anybody at crunch time.

SnakeLH2006
09-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Still waiting for Kampy to be a factor, though, as his slimmed-down physique doesn't do him favors with his edge rush vs. OT's. That was his bread 'n butter (big guy with quickness at DE)...now he just looks a guy at OLB.

Kampman didn't make any plays, but I don't remember him being called out for any mistakes either. For it being his first regular season start at the new position I think he did alright.

The defense as a whole certainly didn't look hamstrung by Kampman at OLB. The pressure was still getting to Cutler. As much as I'd like to see Kampy do well individually, I'd rather Kampy be just a guy at OLB on a pressure defense that gets results than have Kampy as a Pro Bowl DE on a vanilla defense that can't stop anybody at crunch time.

For sure. I'm all about Kampy. Snake loves him. Just saying he's prob. not a major factor anymore with all the other LB's like Chilly, Hawk, Matthews, and our hybrid 3-4 (that actually likes the 3 DL's to passrush) along with the CB's and safeties. He'll hold his own, but dropping weight looks like Kampy lost his edge. Doubt he posts pro-bowl-esque numbers again at OLB. But that is fine.