PDA

View Full Version : NFC North QB Race 2009

Pages : 1 [2]

Smidgeon
11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
After week 12

1. Favre 112.1 (Another masterpiece)
2. Rodgers 104.9 (3rd best in NFL)
3. Cutler 74.4 (Vikes had the ball 40 minutes to 20)
4. Stafford 62.4 (Rookie or not, that is bad)

Do you find it weird having to cheer for the old man?

I mean, of course winning erases everything, but he was the hated rival for years. I'm sure 99% of the Vikings fans I could ask would tell me it doesn't matter and that it's all about now. But I feel like you might give a better answer(if there is one).

Does the magnitude(or lack thereof) of the ending of Favre's story write him as a Viking hero and savior?

Hollywood must be licking at their chops with the all the posibilities of a drama like this. A better movie could not be written. I'm excited for the climax of this story. How can it get any better? Maybe that is right up Hollywood's alley. A great story with a lackluster ending.

I'm used it now but it was pretty damn odd at first, I'll give ya that. I was luke warm on the idea all summer but was warming towards it when he said he was staying retired. So then it was a little disappointment as I had talked myself into believing it was a good move.

When he showed up it was just pain odd rooting for the guy, but he was a year removed from Green bay which helped the transition from a fans perspective. There are still some Viking fans that hate the guy, which is pretty stupid IMHO. It's like had the Packers signed Moss. There would have been a few die hards in Green bay not liking the guy but once he started hauling in passes it would be all good. It's the nature of being a fan.

It's also a well-known psychological process that everyone goes through called "cognitive dissonance". It's where you have an internal conflict about something (hating Favre and loving the Vikings) that can't stay in conflict because they go hand in hand (Favre is a Viking). Therefore, since you prioritize being a fan of the Vikings first, the lesser of the two (hating Favre) dissipates and you come to find yourself cheering for him (good ol' Psych 280).

Haha I'm a Psych major. I don't think you could have used a better example for cognitive dissonance if you tried.

It happens in sports all the time: coming to cheer for a former hated rival (or want a former hated rival to join the team -- *cough*RandyMoss*cough*), coming around to liking a draft pick because you really want him to succeed even though you were disappointed at first, etc.

channtheman
11-30-2009, 01:58 PM
After week 12

1. Favre 112.1 (Another masterpiece)
2. Rodgers 104.9 (3rd best in NFL)
3. Cutler 74.4 (Vikes had the ball 40 minutes to 20)
4. Stafford 62.4 (Rookie or not, that is bad)

Absolutely incredible. Who would have thought that with Rodgers sitting at 104.9 that Favre would be outperforming him? The last 5 games will be very interesting to see. I don't see Favre dropping off this year (as he is in a dome mostly, no freezing weather) and he is playing the system.

ThunderDan
12-02-2009, 11:04 AM
I hope that this works OK. Hot Clicks at SI has this wonderful song about Bear's QBs on their site.

http://www.youtube.com/v/DYlTpX9bNIs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1

ThunderDan
12-02-2009, 11:06 AM
If someone else can make this work, thank you.

Zool
12-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Instead of copy/pasting the embed use the one right above it from Youtube. You can also just copy/paste the address line from the YouTube window.

channtheman
12-02-2009, 11:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/DYlTpX9bNIs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1

There's your Bears QB song.

woodbuck27
12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
And I felt some of those others should have been caught.

Now you sound just like Bert.

Look at you Scott. Just one of those here, that's just waiting, to RAM one up Favre's. Just waiting and waiting and waiting and ..... :D

The prediction of failure from one that will end up like all of us. WORMS.

Rastak
12-08-2009, 06:43 AM
After week 13

1. Favre 108.5 (Still on top, not his best game)
2. Rodgers 103.3 (Little off last night, got the job done)
3. Cutler 75.3 (Beats the lowly Lions)
4. Stafford 61.0 (This is just terrible)

MOBB DEEP
12-10-2009, 07:16 AM
I don't see Favre dropping off this year (as he is in a dome mostly, no freezing weather) and he is playing the system.

The swoon has begun... :cry:

Cards provided blueprint to beat the ol' gunslinger

Smidgeon
12-10-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't see Favre dropping off this year (as he is in a dome mostly, no freezing weather) and he is playing the system.

It isn't a blueprint until it's repeated. If it happens again, then there's a problem. There's still a chance it was a one game anomaly.

Scott Campbell
12-10-2009, 08:35 AM
And I felt some of those others should have been caught.

Now you sound just like Bert.

Look at you Scott. Just one of those here, that's just waiting, to RAM one up Favre's. Just waiting and waiting and waiting and ..... :D

The prediction of failure from one that will end up like all of us. WORMS.

Much of the world is waiting for Favre to get what he's got coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-L5UyGDlVM

Scott Campbell
12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Favre acknowledges his well earned reputation for choking in December:

"I'm sure people are saying - you guys may have already said it - 'Well, here we go. Now, it's December,'" the quarterback said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/78932992.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiacyKU7DYaGE P7vDEh7P:DiUs

denverYooper
12-10-2009, 01:41 PM

It isn't a blueprint until it's repeated. If it happens again, then there's a problem. There's still a chance it was a one game anomaly.

Good chance that Mike Zimmer is cooking up something for him. They *could* be in for a rough day against Cincy. The game is in the humpty dump, though, where Brett's been fairly comfy.

I kinda doubt Carolina can pull off the confusion necessary.

In Chicago, the biggest factor will be the weather.

NYG is another team that can potentially get after him but it is a home game and their secondary is in rough shape at the moment. Also a chance that Bert might not have to play much here.

cheesner
12-10-2009, 02:31 PM

Good chance that Mike Zimmer is cooking up something for him. They *could* be in for a rough day against Cincy. The game is in the humpty dump, though, where Brett's been fairly comfy.

I kinda doubt Carolina can pull off the confusion necessary.

NYG is another team that can potentially get after him but it is a home game and their secondary is in rough shape at the moment. Also a chance that Bert might not have to play much here.
I think the most difficult challenge facing Brent is the fact that AP seems to have gone south. Haven't watched any games to know why, but his production is down with a career low last week. IF AP continues to have problems, Biff is going to start thinking he needs to start slinging it. When he hits that mindset - the Vikings are doomed.

mraynrand
12-10-2009, 03:46 PM

BBBBBRRRRRRrrrrrrrr........I'M COLD!!!!!!!

http://graphics2.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/rev/dec04/10_1219.jpg

But seriously, Chicago is so bad, I bet the Vikings could beat them if they ran the ball every single down. But maybe Favre willl throw a pick or two just to keep it interesting!

Rastak
12-14-2009, 04:59 AM
After week 14

1. Favre 106 (Not super sharp but played a solid game)
2. Rodgers 102.5 (Gets the win)
3. Cutler 75.2 (3rd place to stay)
4. Stafford 61.0 (Will he play again this year)

Maxie the Taxi
12-14-2009, 06:19 AM
I thought it was interesting that Favre made a point of telling people in his press conference after the game that he's "not fading in December like people say I do."

Anyone that thinks Favre doesn't read his own press clippings and pay attention to the rumors swirling about him is dead wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if he reads PackerRats.

Rastak
12-14-2009, 07:52 AM
I thought it was interesting that Favre made a point of telling people in his press conference after the game that he's "not fading in December like people say I do."

Anyone that thinks Favre doesn't read his own press clippings and pay attention to the rumors swirling about him is dead wrong.

He either reads his own press clippings or deduced it from the 200 times he's been asked about it.... :wink:

Scott Campbell
12-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Either way, it sure sounds like a guy in denial.

Fritz
12-14-2009, 07:57 AM

He either reads his own press clippings or deduced it from the 200 times he's been asked about it.... :wink:

Is he Woodbuck?

Rastak
12-21-2009, 07:11 AM
After week 15

1. Favre 104.1 (laid an egg along with his team)
2. Rodgers 102.4 (dramatic loss)
3. Cutler 71.1 (major disappointment)

Scott Campbell
12-21-2009, 07:16 AM
After week 15

It looks like Favre also put the dress back on Chilly. Who's running the Vikings?

http://www.vikingsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/MrsChildress21.jpg

Scott Campbell
12-21-2009, 07:21 AM
We can only hope this story has legs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/21/childress-tried-to-take-favre-out-in-third-quarter/

MJZiggy
12-21-2009, 01:24 PM
That story has legs. It made the local DC news...

mraynrand
12-21-2009, 01:52 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/21/childress-tried-to-take-favre-out-in-third-quarter/

I hope it has nicer legs than Chilly.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Chillylegs.jpg

channtheman
12-22-2009, 02:33 AM

I hope it has nicer legs than Chilly.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Chillylegs.jpg

:lol:

Favre has 3 TD's and 4 INT's in the last 3 games after throwing 24 TD's and only 3 INT's the first 11 games. He hasn't had a rating higher than 79 in any of those games. A cold game at night at Chicago is the perfect ingredient for a sub 100 QB rating for Favre. Make it happen Brett!

Damn I'm still bummed though. We were going to win the division at 12-4 as the Vikes will lose out.

MOBB DEEP
12-23-2009, 06:57 AM
does anyone know favres career best qb rating for a season?

Scott Campbell
12-23-2009, 09:36 AM
I have an idea for a thread. I'd like to call it "Bert and Chilly - A Love Story In Pictures". But I think it's against the rules. Would it piss some people off? Yeah, I guess. But it sure would be fun.

RashanGary
12-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Single season, Aaron Rodgers is on pace to possibly have:

More Yards
A better QB rating
and
Less interceptions

Than Brett Favre has ever had in his 18 year career.

If Rodgers finishes on an 11-5 team, Favre will only have surpassed that win total 6 times in his 18 year career!! And this Packer team is just getting started!!

I think it's fair to say we don't miss Brent Farce like the doom and gloomers predicted we would!!

And he did it with maybe as bad or worse of an OL than anything Brent has played with. Oh yeah, and he did it without being a trouble making whining diva, which is probably be best stat of all.

mraynrand
12-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I have an idea for a thread. I'd like to call it "Bert and Chilly - A Love Story In Pictures". But I think it's against the rules. Would it piss some people off? Yeah, I guess. But it sure would be fun.

Let's find out

MJZiggy
12-23-2009, 07:04 PM

SportsCenter devoted about 5 minutes to this tonight while I was having some pho. The sound wasn't loud enough in the restaurant, but they showed the argument, Favre's presser, Chilly's presser and a lovely graphic broken down by season, comparing Favre's passer ratings December vs. the rest of the season. It was beautiful to watch...

Gunakor
12-24-2009, 04:27 AM
Oh yeah, and he did it without being a trouble making whining diva, which is probably be best stat of all.

Favre won 3 MVP's and a Super Bowl ring without being a whiny trouble making diva. It was that success (coupled with a few other things) that turned a team oriented championship caliber quarterback into a whiny, selfish, championship caliber diva.

Rodgers has a whole career full of unwritten successes in front of him yet, and could end up following that same path if that success goes to his head the way it did Favre's. So if you're going to call this one the way you have, be warned that while Favre's story is nearly complete, Rodgers' story is just getting started. For now let's just enjoy the success that our team has while Aaron is our quarterback without taking even more shots at the last guy who ran the show.

MOBB DEEP
12-24-2009, 07:17 AM

SportsCenter devoted about 5 minutes to this tonight while I was having some pho. The sound wasn't loud enough in the restaurant, but they showed the argument, Favre's presser, Chilly's presser and a lovely graphic broken down by season, comparing Favre's passer ratings December vs. the rest of the season. It was beautiful to watch...

You dont like Favre?

MOBB DEEP
12-24-2009, 07:21 AM
For now let's just enjoy the success that our team has while Aaron is our quarterback without taking even more shots at the last guy who ran the show.

BINGO!

Only insecure, self-loathing haters like to bring down/slander athletes and celebs that at one time they revered/supported

Psych 101

NOBODY'S PERFECT except my man's who's bday is tomorow!

WWJD

Spaulding
12-24-2009, 07:39 AM
After week 15

There has to be some major flaws in how the QB rating is calculated. I know in prior discussions it was noted that it heavily emphasizes completion percentage which favors dink and dunk offenses but I find it hard to believe that Rodgers goes 26/48 for 383 yds, 3 TD's and no INT's and yet still sees his rating drop slightly.

The yardage, TD's and lack of a turnover should greatly trump a higher completion percentage (which for Rodgers was hamped by the drops and the fact that we're more of a vertical passing game).

mraynrand
12-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Oh yeah, and he did it without being a trouble making whining diva, which is probably be best stat of all.

Favre won 3 MVP's and a Super Bowl ring without being a whiny trouble making diva. It was that success (coupled with a few other things) that turned a team oriented championship caliber quarterback into a whiny, selfish, championship caliber diva.

Rodgers has a whole career full of unwritten successes in front of him yet, and could end up following that same path if that success goes to his head the way it did Favre's. So if you're going to call this one the way you have, be warned that while Favre's story is nearly complete, Rodgers' story is just getting started. For now let's just enjoy the success that our team has while Aaron is our quarterback without taking even more shots at the last guy who ran the show.

Good post. I'll restrict my shots to the Vikings QB. I hate the Vikings.

Smidgeon
12-24-2009, 08:09 AM
For now let's just enjoy the success that our team has while Aaron is our quarterback without taking even more shots at the last guy who ran the show.

BINGO!

Only insecure, self-loathing haters like to bring down/slander athletes and celebs that at one time they revered/supported

So what do you call people who cut down people who "like to bring down/slander athletes and celebs that at one time they revered/supported" by calling them things like "insecure, self-loathing haters"?

Scott Campbell
12-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Favre plays crappy and pulls another freak show stunt - and look who's getting insecure? :lol:

http://thevikingage.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/favrejesus1.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
12-24-2009, 02:02 PM

BINGO!

Psych 101

WWJD

How did you know Ty's bday was tommorow. Uncanny.

Yours in Favre! WWBD.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-24-2009, 02:19 PM

BINGO!

Psych 101

WWJD

I don't seem to remember anything like that in General Pyschology.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-24-2009, 02:26 PM

BINGO!

Psych 101

WWJD

Ty thinks you were sleeping during the lectures on sociopathic behavior. Don't worry, just watch Bert!

MJZiggy
12-24-2009, 03:34 PM

You dont like Favre?

I'm watching the Vikings fall apart before my eyes. You don't think this is a beautiful thing?

MOBB DEEP
12-24-2009, 06:21 PM

BINGO!

Psych 101

WWJD

LOL....

MOBB DEEP
12-24-2009, 06:27 PM

You dont like Favre?

I'm watching the Vikings fall apart before my eyes. You don't think this is a beautiful thing?

Im just wondering if you liked Favre up until he signed with Minny? OF COURSE i understand opposing the Vikes...

Happy holidays; come to my church tomorow (always great xmas sermon)and then go feed the homeless with me Zig

MJZiggy
12-24-2009, 07:25 PM
While that would be an interesting proposition, I have to go worship at the altar of "the grocery store closed before I got there tonight so I have to go in the morning if we want Christmas breakfast" then I need to cook said breakfast.

Gunakor
12-25-2009, 04:56 AM

BINGO!

Psych 101

WWJD

No Mobb, it's not that at all. It's just getting old. This has been going on for 2 whole seasons now. The Packers are about to finish a season 4 or 5 games over .500 and play a football game or two in January. They are a perfect Ben Rothlisberger throw as time expired from being on a 6 game winning streak. All without your Lord Favre. So life goes on. The team will be fine without him. Seeing how that's been established now, I really see no need for the constant bickering and sniping to continue. Favre has earned and continues to earn all disrespect and hatred he's due, but since there's about to be January football for the Green Bay Packers I don't see how any of that is relevant on THIS board.

Furthermore, I didn't say what I said in response to JH's post just so that the pro-Favre crowd could take shots at the opposition. I don't agree with you either, and I find the bolded portion of your post above to be both ignorant and inflammatory.

Scott Campbell
12-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Favre has earned and continues to earn all disrespect and hatred he's due........

I think Favre managed to take it to a whole new level with last week monkey shines.

mraynrand
12-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Favre has earned and continues to earn all disrespect and hatred he's due........

I think Favre managed to take it to a whole new level with last week monkey shines.

I agree.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/SIFavre.jpg

MOBB DEEP
12-28-2009, 10:45 PM

I agree.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/SIFavre.jpg

lmao...retarded

Rastak
12-29-2009, 10:45 AM
One week to go!

1. Favre 104.3 (What a battle! Looks like it comes down to the final week)
2. Rodgers 102.4 (Can he catch him?)
3. Cutler 73.6 (Shows signs of life at last)
4. QB De Jour

Rastak
01-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Final standings:

We have a winner, at age 40!

1. Favre 104.1 (#3 in the NFL)
2. Rodgers 102.4 (close but no cigar)
3. Cutler 71.1 (That do suck)
4 Stafford 61.0 (Worse than suck)

edit: Numbers were slightly off.

pack4to84
01-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Rastak how long are you willing to wait for BF to make up his mind if he is coming back next year?

Joemailman
01-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Ras, just wondering what your source for the final numbers was. NFL.com has the numbers slightly higher. Did you include yesterday's game?
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_PASSER_RATING&d-447263-n=1

mngolf19
01-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Rastak how long are you willing to wait for BF to make up his mind if he is coming back next year?

I'll give you my answer. Same as this year. The difference being that the Vikes likely do not have the long term replacement in place waiting.

retailguy
01-04-2010, 12:41 PM

I'll give you my answer. Same as this year. The difference being that the Vikes likely do not have the long term replacement in place waiting.

I liked Booty. It's really too bad that the Vikes moved away from developing him. (Good for the Packers, that is)

I hope the Favre saga drags into July. With God as my witness, I do not miss that, AT ALL.

mngolf19
01-04-2010, 12:47 PM

I liked Booty. It's really too bad that the Vikes moved away from developing him. (Good for the Packers, that is)

I hope the Favre saga drags into July. With God as my witness, I do not miss that, AT ALL.

And I fully expect the media and retarded fans to make a big deal out of it. But seriously, it was no deal at all this year so why would next year? They won from the beginning and improved their record from last year. I will wonder if he is coming back though.

denverYooper
01-04-2010, 12:51 PM

I miss all of the Booty puns.

retailguy
01-04-2010, 12:52 PM
He's coming back. Like a hollywood red carpet diva, he'll be back.

Where else can he make $10m a year and get all the press coverage he wants?

(I say that fully belieiving that Mn will not win the SB. If they win, that 'might' change things.)

mngolf19
01-04-2010, 12:54 PM

(I say that fully belieiving that Mn will not win the SB. If they win, that 'might' change things.)

Considering all their losses were on grass, I like their chances until the SB.

retailguy
01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Considering all their losses were on grass, I like their chances until the SB.

And that's why they play the games. As a Packer fan, I can think of few things so pleasing as watching a 6 interception performance on the carpet, similar to one that I watched in horror several years ago in the Edward Jones dome.

This time, I think I would fully enjoy the irony. And, with hundreds of games as a backup, you just never know when those "Favre Clunkers" will come. All of the sudden, BAM, there it is.... :P

denverYooper
01-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Final standings:

1. Favre 104.3 (#3 in the NFL)
3. Cutler 73.6 (That do suck)

Favre's highest rating ever in GB was 99.5
:cry:

I guess he likes playing indoors.

Scott Campbell
01-04-2010, 01:16 PM

Do you think Brett will bring Chilly back?

gbgary
01-04-2010, 01:25 PM
that guy in minn has had a pretty good year.

Rastak
01-04-2010, 01:40 PM

End of training camp like this year I guess.... :lol:

retailguy
01-04-2010, 01:46 PM

Yup, he just got an extension and they have money troubles in Minn... Favre wouldn't want to jeopardize any of "HIS" pay, so yep, Chilly returns. :wink:

Patler
01-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Final standings:

No two ways about it, an outstanding year throwing the ball by Favre. For his years as a starter:

- Highest QB rating of his career
- Highest completion % of his career (68.4%, previous high was 66.5% in 2007).
- Lowest # of interceptions by a mile (7, previously 13).
- Lowest interception % by nearly half (1.3%, previously 2.3%)
- Tied for 4th highest TD total for a season.
- Most TDs passing since he had 35 in 1997.
- 6th highest TD % of his career.
- Fewest fumbles(2) while being sacked 34 times. Previous best was 4 in a 12 sack season; and

- most tackles (1) since 2005 (2)! :lol:

(should I mention beating the Packers for the first time ever??)

mraynrand
01-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Final standings:

No two ways about it, an outstanding year throwing the ball by Favre. For his years as a starter:

- Fewest fumbles(2) while being sacked 34 times. Previous best was 4 in a 12 sack season; and

I guess unlike Wolf, Sherman, and TT, The Vikings went out and spent the kind of money necessary and surrounded Favre with the talent he needed to win.

Packgator
01-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Brett announced that a decision will not be made until after the season. Following the final game he will sit down with the owner (and other top brass) and shortly after the meeting Brett will make public his decision on who will coach the Vikings next season.

mission
01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Final standings:

I guess unlike Wolf, Sherman, and TT, The Vikings went out and spent the kind of money necessary and surrounded Favre with the talent he needed to win.

Yeah all those guys they picked up after Favre. They really went out and built a team around him.

Amazing.

packerbacker1234
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Numbers are off, according to NFL.COM official stats.

Here is what they have for the final numbers for QB Rating:

Favre - 107.2 (Second in the NFL only to Drew Brees)
Rodgers - 103.2 (only the second QB in packers history to post a 100+ rating)
Cutler - 76.8 (last two games gave him a nice boost. Hopefully not a sign of whats to come next season)
Stafford - 61.0 - Still to early to tell if he's the answer or not. Horrible team around him.

Rastak
01-04-2010, 05:14 PM
I wonder if they were cached in my browser or something.

That 107 is amazing.

Guiness
01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
As is the 103 - no flies on that either. Amazing seasons by both.

Has anyone had back to back HOF QB's since Montana-Young? :twisted: :twisted:

mngolf19
01-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Jackson/Favre? :wink:

Guiness
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Jackson/Favre? :wink:

Jackson's going in the same year as 'Chris' Everette, right?

SnakeLH2006
01-06-2010, 03:56 AM

Brett announced that a decision will not be made until after the season. Following the final game he will sit down with the owner (and other top brass) and shortly after the meeting Brett will make public his decision on who will coach the Vikings next season.

That is solid reporting there Packgator. Thanks.

MOBB DEEP
01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Favre saga drags into July. With God as my witness, I do not miss that, AT ALL.

+1

playing with my emotions like Smokey

MOBB DEEP
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Final standings:

simply...LORD

mraynrand
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Does this happen before or after Favre drops his Wranglers and they lick his anus?