PDA

View Full Version : Runyan to Packers?

KYPack
09-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Espn NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert has hypothesized that the Packers may be one of the teams looking at former Eagle RT, Jon Runyan.

With QB Aaron Rodgers getting repeatedly pressured from Bears LDE Adewale Ogunleye Sunday night, the Packer coaching staff must be concerned. GB needs far great production from the RT position. In order to get adequate protection for the GB right , the Pack had to keep a TE or FB dedicated to that side. That won't even be a long term solution.

Runyan visited the Bills, Chiefs, and Eagles last week without inking a deal. Some NFC observers think Green Bay may be forced into making a move on Runyan to stabilize the right side and re-vitalize the high-powered Packer attack.

sheepshead
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Something has to be done, that was just embarrassing.

Fritz
09-14-2009, 12:37 PM
So what's the word on Runyan? Why hasn't he been signed? Is he so old he's slower than Orlando Pace now? As bad a right tackle as Ruvell Martin is a wide receiver?

I have not been keeping up on him. What's the story?

I wonder if even hearing this rumor will energize Barbre or cause him to poop his pants, slowing him down even more.

red
09-14-2009, 12:41 PM
signing an aging vet doesn't seem like something TT would do. even if it helps out in the short term

Fritz
09-14-2009, 12:46 PM
But he might sign Dorian Gray!

imscott72
09-14-2009, 01:13 PM
The fact that Runyan hasn't been signed yet concerns me. I don't see this happening..

hoosier
09-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Somehow I can't quite picture a RT named Dorian. I think guys named Dorian are only eligible to hold clipboards. In all seriousness, Runyan is 38 years old and its hard to believe he's got much left. But what do I know, he started at RT for 12 years and didn't miss a game until this past Sunday.

A study in contrasts:
http://www.br-family.de/marguerite/DorianGray2.jpg

http://www.everyjoe.com/files/2009/08/jon-runyan-eagles-20050127_roa_ts1_044.jpg

Fritz
09-14-2009, 01:46 PM
A fellow Michigan grad! And he certainly does look like he graduated from the "Harvard of the Midwest"!

Weer smrt, us Mishigin guyz.

hoosier
09-14-2009, 02:09 PM
A fellow Michigan grad! And he certainly does look like he graduated from the "Harvard of the Midwest"!

Doesn't UMI have "flexible" admissions standards like all other Big 10 schools except NW?

boiga
09-14-2009, 02:17 PM
McCarthy reaffirmed that Barbre will be starting next week, so don't get your hopes up for this one.

KYPack
09-14-2009, 03:03 PM
McCarthy reaffirmed that Barbre will be starting next week, so don't get your hopes up for this one.

Yeah, I give this about a 1% chance of happening.

It's against Thompson's religion or something.

That said, I'd do it.

Runyan has been playing RT since the fourth grade.

He's get ARod's right side covered from edge rushers.

He basically mugs those guys until they quit trying to get wide on him.

Ron Wolf would have him in town today.

We had, like, 4 LT's during our first SB run until he found a guy to protect BF's blindside.

packerbacker1234
09-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I just don't get how Barbre is getting a free pass by the coaches to go another week.

You gotta do some shuffling, minimaly. Hell, Spitz would be a better RT then what I saw out of Barbre, and in that case you could slap well's at center.

Thats gotta be better then leaving barbre out there to suck all game.

Fritz
09-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Doesn't UMI have "flexible" admissions standards like all other Big 10 schools except NW?

Please, don't insult the U of M. Our fine U provides scholastically challenged student-athletes opportunities to receive a world renowned education. In addition, alums will often assist needy student athletes with, uh, financial aid matters, making sure those students without transportation need never use anything but the safest, newest SUV's available. Furthermore, the more intelligent and academically oriented students on campus offer their tutoring expertise so people who may be less naturally skilled in the thinking arts can receive the benefits of a U of M degree.

Flexible admissions. Puh-lease.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I just don't get how Barbre is getting a free pass by the coaches to go another week.

You gotta do some shuffling, minimaly. Hell, Spitz would be a better RT then what I saw out of Barbre, and in that case you could slap well's at center.

Dude was making his first start. You don't evaluate the guy all offseason and preseason and then bench him after one game. I think Woodson is the best corner in the NFC, and he had a bad game. I know he's proven himself, but guys are going to have bad games. Imagine if we did that after Colledge's first year or two. Who knows if he's the answer, but you don't give up on him after one start. If he struggles in the next two games, then I think you need to think about replacing him.

Scott Campbell
09-14-2009, 04:38 PM

Please, don't insult the U of M. Our fine U provides scholastically challenged student-athletes opportunities to receive a world renowned education. In addition, alums will often assist needy student athletes with, uh, financial aid matters, making sure those students without transportation need never use anything but the safest, newest SUV's available. Furthermore, the more intelligent and academically oriented students on campus offer their tutoring expertise so people who may be less naturally skilled in the thinking arts can receive the benefits of a U of M degree.

Their pay for play program didn't help them against the Utes last year.

:P

PackerTimer
09-14-2009, 06:38 PM

I doubt he's getting a free pass, he's probably going be working his ass off for the next week. But you just don't bench a guy after one game. He played really bad and he'll have to do better but you definetely have to stay with him for a few more weeks.

boiga
09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I doubt he's getting a free pass, he's probably going be working his ass off for the next week. But you just don't bench a guy after one game. He played really bad and he'll have to do better but you definetely have to stay with him for a few more weeks.

Agreed. I'm just trying to remind myself how bad Colledge stank in 2007. Now he's one of the best OL men on the team. Barbre's not Moll, who lacked the physical skills to play at a high level. He just needs to get his technique down pat and learn from his opponents.

If Daryn can improve after how bad he was, Barbre should have no problem.

pbmax
09-14-2009, 06:43 PM

That said, I'd do it.

Runyan has been playing RT since the fourth grade.

He's get ARod's right side covered from edge rushers.

He basically mugs those guys until they quit trying to get wide on him.

Ron Wolf would have him in town today.

We had, like, 4 LT's during our first SB run until he found a guy to protect BF's blindside.
Yes we did but what Kevin Seifert fails to mention/remember is that we often sent help to Wilkerson's side when he faced a tough assignment.

Runyan was just medically cleared, so while he is older and slower, the timing is why he hasn't signed, not his play. He is quite like Tauscher's situation only about 4 weeks earlier in the rehab schedule.

bobblehead
09-14-2009, 07:41 PM

My guess is the Breno will find himself on the gameday actives next sunday. But agree with others, you can't bail on Babre after one start, if he continues to be a revolving door......

retailguy
09-14-2009, 07:43 PM
My guess is the Breno will find himself on the gameday actives next sunday. But agree with others, you can't bail on Babre after one start, if he continues to be a revolving door......

What if he gets Rodgers injured or on IR? Then can we bail on him?

bobblehead
09-14-2009, 07:57 PM

He's not the LT, Rodgers should not get injured due to Babre.

KYPack
09-14-2009, 08:17 PM

He's not the LT, Rodgers should not get injured due to Babre.

No way, Bobble. Yes, your LT can give up some vicious sacks, but the RT has to play better than Barbre has so far, or ARod is gonna get racked up. Those crashing DE's can tear you up, regardless of the side they come from.

Proof of that was some of the hits Rodgers got Sunday night, some of them the result of poor play from our RT.

retailguy
09-14-2009, 08:23 PM
So to repeat what I asked earlier... Is it worth the risk to allow Barbre to continue to "learn" if the cost is a healthy franchise quarterback?

I recognize that the staff "evaluated" him throughout offseason workouts and preseason games, but, based on what was displayed last night can anyone say here, that he's ready?

Many of you say, 'THIS IS THE YEAR'. This is the window. Can this team sustain the loss of it's franchise QB? Is it worth the risk?

No one is perfect, but Barbre played the worst game I've witnessed in recent memory. Colledge was awful as a rookie, and bad as a 1st & 2nd year player. I do not recall a game that Colledge played that was that bad.

Is it worth the risk? Or, would it be acceptable to have a seasoned (over the hill) vet sitting on the bench to come in if it gets this bad again?

Alternatively, do you put your faith in Breno sitting on the bench? Really want to hear your thoughts.

Waldo
09-14-2009, 08:29 PM
No one is perfect, but Barbre played the worst game I've witnessed in recent memory. Colledge was awful as a rookie, and bad as a 1st & 2nd year player. I do not recall a game that Colledge played that was that bad.

Are we forgetting the 2-3 times last year that Tausher was thrown into AR by Abraham. At least Barbre can run block.

Last year Tausher was getting a vet pass, but there was more than 1 game that was at best marginally better than what Barbre did, and LIS, Barbre can run block better than Tausher did last year, when he was generally ineffective at best.

Recall the talk of benching Tausher last year. It came right after the Atlanta game.

Brady tonight was hit as much in the first half as Aaron was all game.

Mike should have moved to start helping Barbre with chips at least on every play much earlier. Aaron could have changed the protection too. It is one thing for a player to struggle with protection, quite another to do nothing about it. That didn't have to happen.

retailguy
09-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I believe there is a difference between benching a seasoned vet and a guy starting his first game. Ogunleye was in the backfield a hell of a lot more often than 2-3 times. It was at least 10 times in the first half. The second half was not much better.

I question whether or not Barbre is ready for OJT training. I recognize that you can't determine that based on one performance. That's why I asked if it was worth the risk with the franchise qb?

Fosco33
09-14-2009, 08:46 PM
I believe there is a difference between benching a seasoned vet and a guy starting his first game. Ogunleye was in the backfield a hell of a lot more often than 2-3 times. It was at least 10 times in the first half. The second half was not much better.

I question whether or not Barbre is ready for OJT training. I recognize that you can't determine that based on one performance. That's why I asked if it was worth the risk with the franchise qb?

Had this in the gameday thread... as I quickly rewatched the 1st half during halftime.

Barbre blew pass protection 10 times (3 sacks, 5 hurries, 2 other) in the 1st half and at least 2 more in the 2nd half.

M3 tried to spread the blame saying the whole line was off - but I think he's protecting Barbre's ego/confidence.

Fritz
09-14-2009, 08:51 PM
He was terrible in the first half, poor in the third quarter, and mildly lousy in the fourth.

So he did get better. This team has invested a lot of time in Rogers, yes, and he needs to be protected. But they've also invested a lot of time and training in Barbre. I would keep him in there but be ready for some scheme changes if he needs help. Give him some training wheels.

Badgerinmaine
09-14-2009, 09:03 PM
http://www.everyjoe.com/files/2009/08/jon-runyan-eagles-20050127_roa_ts1_044.jpg

Frightening resemblance to Don Turnbee, the guy the Onion always uses when they want to make fun of fast food fans:

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/food_article_large.article_large.jpg

Fritz
09-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Their pay for play program didn't help them against the Utes last year.

:P

Pay for Play? Scott, you misunderstand completely! It is merely a concerted effort by a group of dedicated human beings, ensuring that others, less academically oriented, receive the same learning opportunities as everyone else.

Gunakor
09-16-2009, 04:01 AM

It's too late at that point. Rodgers gets IR'ed and we're fucked for the season. We have to find a capable RT that is ready to start and perform at an NFL level NOW. Before this happens. Before the season is lost.

Gunakor
09-16-2009, 04:05 AM
He was terrible in the first half, poor in the third quarter, and mildly lousy in the fourth.

So he did get better. This team has invested a lot of time in Rogers, yes, and he needs to be protected. But they've also invested a lot of time and training in Barbre. I would keep him in there but be ready for some scheme changes if he needs help. Give him some training wheels.

Really, how much time has Green Bay invested in Barbre? I can't remember him even as a healthy backup for our line in recent years. He's not a rookie, so why haven't we seen him as a backup? Why hadn't we seen him come in for Tauch last year when Tauch got injured? Judging what I saw on Sunday, I can answer my own question.

Any way we can get Tony Moll back for that safety who didn't play when Bigby got hurt?

pbmax
09-16-2009, 07:25 AM

Had this in the gameday thread... as I quickly rewatched the 1st half during halftime.

Barbre blew pass protection 10 times (3 sacks, 5 hurries, 2 other) in the 1st half and at least 2 more in the 2nd half.

M3 tried to spread the blame saying the whole line was off - but I think he's protecting Barbre's ego/confidence.
JSO with McCarthy and Philbin on the record (although not quoted about the number) said that Barbre was responsible for two sacks and 3 hits. Not sure what other is unless its pressure, and nothing is listed for that in the piece.

If Fosco's numbers are correct, then results did improve, though some of this had to be from the help he was getting.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2009, 08:02 AM

That said, I'd do it.

Agreed.

What do they have to lose in trying? His salary won't be guaranteed, since it is midseason signing. And even if Barbre gets his footing, they are far better off with some depth at tackle.

TT screwed up at tackle this season. But that is a little harsh, since no team can have quality depth at every position.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Does Runyan even fit our scheme? Is he mobile?

KYPack
09-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Good point. At this point in his career, Big John is basically an old broken down OT. He is on his last pass thru the league. Barbre is probably a better answer in the running game, due to his young body and agility.

Pass pro?

There would have been no way Ogunleye would have a big day against Runyan. That old bugger knows every trick in the book and would have used them against the Bears.

It's a devils alternative, really. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I can see equal justification on both sides of the argument.

I imagine we will stay with Barbre. TT always errs on the side of youth. Getting Runyan is counter to Thompson's core beliefs. I think TT will stay the course.

Pugger
09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I did a little checking on Jon Runyan and this is what I found:

He will be 36 in November. In February 2009, Runyan had micromicrofracture surgery on his right knee. In mid August he was cleared to play, but as of September 11, 2009 he did not have a contract with a NFL team. So is his knee and his age making teams hesitate? Mark Tauscher is a spry 32.

Lurker64
09-16-2009, 11:15 AM
I think signing Runyan isn't really necessary. Our "emergency bailout" solution is already on the roster. There are really no LDEs in the league who could beat Daryn Colledge consistently one-on-one if you line him up at RT (the only pass rusher characteristic he struggles with is length, and all of the long armed guys (e.g. Ware, Maybin, etc.) play on the right side of the defense).

So if Barbre continues to absolutely shit the bed, you can move Daryn over to RT and try to figure out what's going on at LG (is Lang ready? Can Spitz or Sitton play LG?)

I'm personally of the mind that Clifton/Lang/Spitz/Sitton/Colledge would be a better line in terms of run blocking and pass blocking than Clifton/Colledge/Spitz/Sitton/(Runyan/Tauscher/other aging vet on his last hurrah).

Let what McCarthy said about "Colledge is an LG, period, be damned.) Sign him to a contract extension as a G, then move him to tackle!

Freak Out
09-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Runyan isn't the answer here......there is a reason the guy isn't on a team let alone a starting RT. Well.......maybe bring Runyan in to teach him how to hold.

Give Barbre some help if he starts whiffing in pass protection.....maybe he gets it going soon.

Guiness
09-16-2009, 11:51 AM
As it was mentioned in other threads, Ogle is a load at LDE. Barbre had a handful to deal with on his first start. Even with the chip blocks, he was still getting pretty consistent pressure.

I think going with Barbre this w/e against is the right choice. An easier opponent in Cinnci. I don't know much about Geathers, I think he's pretty good. Overall though, the Bengal's DL is not as strong, so we can afford to give Barbre help if needed, and keep Rodgers healthy. If things don't start looking up after that, then maybe it's time to push the panic button.

I don't understand people being so own on Tauscher. Was his play that bad before he got hurt? I remember comments that it was declining, but didn't think it'd gotten to the point of intolerable. Tausch had some miles on him, but hadn't had a lot of injuries - is he really washed up at 32? Lots of effective OL in the league older than that.

rbaloha1
09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
After the first preseason game concerned that AB has problems with edge rushers. AB improved during preseason and thought the o-line would be as good as Sherman's best lines.

Low and behold AB played horribly. Reminded of Mandarich against Reggie White. Coach Campen attributes to technical flaws -- sounds correct.

Still think AB's best position is guard like Wahle. If Runyan passes a physical and AB continues to struggle he is worth signing.

Yes, the run game suffers. But at this point protecting AR is more crucial. TJ Lang should also start taking rt reps.

hoosier
09-16-2009, 12:26 PM

Trust me, Runyan's mobility is not a problem. If you call him now he could be in GB by nightfall. :lol:

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/food_article_large.article_large.jpg