PDA

View Full Version : Update of Bigby

packers11
09-14-2009, 01:01 PM
* Prognosis on Bigby: Going through testing now. Don't have results. "Early diagnosis is it's a knee sprain."

* Couple weeks? Don't have enough info. Going through treatment today. Dr. Pat McKenzie feels good about it, but haven't said more.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

boiga
09-14-2009, 01:03 PM
He was hopping it off when he left the field, but it sure looked like it hurt right after the play.

Let's just hope it doesn't slow him down when he gets back to give him an excuse for poor play like last year.

Patler
09-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Let's just hope it doesn't slow him down when he gets back to give him an excuse for poor play like last year.

Are you suggesting Bigby used injury as an "excuse" last year? He had surgery on his ankle in what has been consistently described as a "major" repair of the ankle. An article after said the damage was more severe than anticipated. I don't think his "excuse" was any less legitimate than Cullen Jenkins or Nick Barnett, the only difference was he and the team thought he could play with it, so he tried. It became obvious that he couldn't, and the surgery explained why.

boiga
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
It may have been a valid excuse, but it did breed acceptance for what was a poorer level of play than what we need from our starting DB's.

Last season we had a number of lasting minor injuries that stopped various players from reaching their full potential. That was a severe drag on the team. If Bigby loses a step again, we'll have to make the adjustments we didn't make last year.

I'm hoping he bounces back quickly, but we can't afford to start 75% of Atari for another season.

Patler
09-14-2009, 02:22 PM
It may have been a valid excuse, but it did breed acceptance for what was a poorer level of play than what we need from our starting DB's.

Last season we had a number of lasting minor injuries that stopped various players from reaching their full potential. That was a severe drag on the team. If Bigby loses a step again, we'll have to make the adjustments we didn't make last year.

I'm hoping he bounces back quickly, but we can't afford to start 75% of Atari for another season.

Bigby's injury didn't breed acceptance for anything. Bigby hardly even played last year. He started two games, then sat for 6 weeks (5 games) without playing. He tried to come back for the next four games, but only played briefly (I think just a few plays in one game) then was shelved for the remainder of the season. I really doubt he played more than about 200-250 snaps the whole season.

The problem last year was that almost all of the safeties were hurt. They struggled even finding enough to practice with, which I think is one reason they kept Bigby off IR as long as they did. They hoped he might be able to come back. They finally realized he would not be able to do it.

Lurker64
09-14-2009, 04:53 PM
I sure hope Thompson drafts some safeties next year. Even with a healthy Bigby, our depth here is perilous.

Freak Out
09-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Did anyone pick up the Smith guy we signed form Pittsburgh?

Patler
09-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Did anyone pick up the Smith guy we signed form Pittsburgh?

The Rams claimed him on waivers.

SkinBasket
09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Rouse did a fine job last night filling in both safety spots as needed. We'll be fine until that other Martin guy gets up to speed.

Bretsky
09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
If we still had Smith I wouldn't care much if we lost Bigby
Come to think of it I don't see his backups showing much of a dropoff either

Lurker64
09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
I think after week 6 we will be able to re-sign Peprah since we worked out an injury settlement with him, in case of emergency.

Not that Peprah has ever really done anything in his numerous years as a Packer.

Waldo
09-14-2009, 07:14 PM
What's wrong with the guy we traded for, Derrick Martin, from Baltimore? He has starting experience.

Most on Baltimore MB's were pretty bummed about losing him, nobody really had anything bad to say about him.

He's actually supposed to be quite good in coverage in addition to being a ST demon. He has a ST tackle last night.

Bush has been a S all offseason.

Bretsky
09-14-2009, 07:26 PM
What's wrong with the guy we traded for, Derrick Martin, from Baltimore? He has starting experience.

Most on Baltimore MB's were pretty bummed about losing him, nobody really had anything bad to say about him.

He's actually supposed to be quite good in coverage in addition to being a ST demon. He has a ST tackle last night.

IMO the upside on Rouse is very limited so I'm alright with Martin. But he's adjusting so I still wish we had Smith.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Most on packer boards were pretty bummed when we cut ruvell and tyrone sutton. Using MB's to assess a player is foolish at best.

Look, the guy got traded for Tony Moll. Does it mean he sucks, no. But, that is the way to bet.

Fritz
09-14-2009, 08:59 PM
What's an "MB"?

A Miller Beer?

Zool
09-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Motherboard or my butt

mission
09-15-2009, 12:55 AM
message board

Fritz
09-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks.

mraynrand
09-15-2009, 08:24 AM

Most on packer boards were pretty bummed when we cut ruvell and tyrone sutton. Using MB's to assess a player is foolish at best.

Look, the guy got traded for Tony Moll. Does it mean he sucks, no. But, that is the way to bet.

Using MB's to assess a player is foolish at best.

sharpe1027
09-15-2009, 12:57 PM

Priceless. I just shot soda up my nose laughing at this.

Little Whiskey
09-15-2009, 06:40 PM

I've never laught so hard that i found a need to shoot soda UP my nose. maybe out my nose, but up your nose is "foolish at best". :lol:

SnakeLH2006
09-16-2009, 02:42 AM

I've never laught so hard that i found a need to shoot soda UP my nose. maybe out my nose, but up your nose is "foolish at best". :lol:

OK....But there could be worse things shooting out your nose. LOL

Tyrone Bigguns
09-16-2009, 02:57 AM

Sigh. I have to spell it out for the slow child. WE HAVE SEEN RM AND SUTTON. And, despite that...and depth charts you still have fans who believe we lost the next darren sproles and think RM could easily start for many teams. I have the clear evidence of their talent by the actions of the NFL.

Most on this board get bummed out when any packer is cut who has been with the team for multiple seasons. Fans get attached.

Tony Moll has been on the packers, there have been articles, gradings, etc. I don't need to read a MB to know he is what he is. I just have to look at how many times he has played.

No need to thank me for helping you out.

SnakeLH2006
09-16-2009, 03:10 AM
i'm saying ruvell and sutton suck...regardless of message boards. But, if you follow the message board's we lost a future good rb...and wr that could start for many teams.

Snake agrees, Ty. Ruvell is good as a 3rd (doubtful)/4th WR (I can see it)/5th (on most) on some teams. Sutton is a dime a dozen. No special teams ability (he's too slow) or RB ability (he's too slow). Preseason stats do not a player make....

Ruvell might stick around for a few years as a WR, but Sutton's shit is just what it is...preseason. He doesn't have enough burst to be a starter...and not enough speed to stick around on ST. Snake shed no tears on either being cut. Both are out the league in a year or two. TT is a wise man. Trust the Ted with personall, wine, En Vogue articles, and fashion. :shock: :D

pbmax
09-16-2009, 08:01 AM
What's an "MB"?

A Miller Beer?

Motherboard or my butt

My butt thinks Rouse will be fine. But its an optimistic butt.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Sutton is a dime a dozen. No special teams ability (he's too slow) or RB ability (he's too slow). Preseason stats do not a player make....

I agree that Sutton was not fast enough to get emotional about. (Then again, Wynn hasn't looked quick this season, either. :( )

So the Panthers get to sign Sutton. He was inactive for game one, I doubt he'll be active all season. They give-up a roster spot just in case he blossoms in some future year. That's not such a great deal.

mraynrand
09-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Sutton is a dime a dozen. No special teams ability (he's too slow) or RB ability (he's too slow). Preseason stats do not a player make....

I agree that Sutton was not fast enough to get emotional about. (Then again, Wynn hasn't looked quick this season, either. :( )

So the Panthers get to sign Sutton. He was inactive for game one, I doubt he'll be active all season. They give-up a roster spot just in case he blossoms in some future year. That's not such a great deal.

The Panthers should find out if he can throw a spiral.

Zool
09-16-2009, 09:13 AM

The Panthers should find out if he can throw a spiral.

Or at least a wounded duck but to the correct jersey.

boiga
09-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, Rouse can hit at least.

He's the guy who gave Desmond Clark that cracked rib that sent him to the hospital.

Freak Out
09-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't remember there being a great gnashing of teeth when any of those guys were cut....some debate about whether Swain or Wynn was any better no no real cry babies. Maybe I missed the fun though..... :roll:

Guiness
09-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Sigh. I have to spell it out for the slow child. WE HAVE SEEN RM AND SUTTON. And, despite that...and depth charts you still have fans who believe we lost the next darren sproles and think RM could easily start for many teams. I have the clear evidence of their talent by the actions of the NFL.

Most on this board get bummed out when any packer is cut who has been with the team for multiple seasons. Fans get attached.

Tony Moll has been on the packers, there have been articles, gradings, etc. I don't need to read a MB to know he is what he is. I just have to look at how many times he has played.

so much :talk: :talk: :talk:

Freak Out
09-16-2009, 06:21 PM
So he's out for up to a month now?

bobblehead
09-16-2009, 06:35 PM

DOn't worry ty, I understood that you meant you are smarter than the average poster :P

Tyrone Bigguns
09-16-2009, 06:44 PM

so much :talk: :talk: :talk:

Yeah, i fully explain, and it is just talk.

Look, the point, as stated was that basing assessments off a message board was foolish at best. Do you disagree or agree? Simple question, answer it.

On this message board we have those that think hawk is good, those that think he is overrated. We had those that thought Arod was average and those that thought he was good. And, those are players that we all at least could watch for significant amounts of time.

I have never suggested that we can't continue to discuss them or other players, but that suggesting that a role player acquired for another role player is good because message board posts on another board were not negative about him is not a way to judge a player.

Moll, for example, we have seen him, we have scouting on him, we have seen where he placed in the packer's plans, we have seen how much practice time he gets and with what team (ie, first or second)...and that tells us far more than a message board.

It truly is sad when you let your personal biases get in the way of your ability to reason.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-16-2009, 06:48 PM

DOn't worry ty, I understood that you meant you are smarter than the average poster :P

Not the average poster, just the average conservative poster. :lol:

packers11
09-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Bengals week: Wednesday update - Bigby out at least 4 weeks

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/59512622.html