PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts on Crosby/kickers.

Patler
09-14-2009, 01:19 PM
It was mentioned last night how accurate Robbie Gould is. Set the Bears record last year at 89.6% (26/29). So I looked more closely at him and Crosby:

It was mentioned that, Gould had no attempts from 50 or beyond last year. I checked his career stats. In 5 seasons and 130 attempts, he has just TWO attempts at 50 or more (one in every 65 attempts). In his first two seasons, Crosby had 11 of his 73 attempts from 50 or more. Better than 1 of every 7 times he tried a field goal, it was from 50 or more yards. From 49 and closer, Crosby was 24/28 in 2008, for 85.71%. Even his miss last night was from about 49 yards, two feet, six inches if you look at where the ball was placed, and he hit from 52 and 39.

Gould is kicking with a 12 year vet as his snapper, and a 12 year vet as his holder. He has had both for his entire career. Maynard has been a holder for his entire NFL career, the last 9 with the Bears. Mannelly has been the Bears snapper for 12 years, so this is the 9th season he and Maynard have worked together.

Crosby has had a succession of different snappers and holders in two seasons and three preseasons.

I'll take Crosby, just for the opportunity of trying a 65 yarder! :lol:

mraynrand
09-14-2009, 01:26 PM
good post. The Bears can keep Mannelly - he is more helpful to the Packers on their squad. Crosby is a talnted kicker and McCarthy may be using him more often from longer distances because of he has more confidence in his leg. Wasn't it a 69 yard free kick attempt against Det. in the Jan cold that he just missed? Too bad, that would have made up a little for an extremely frustrating December.

Bossman641
09-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Great research as usual Patler.

Crosby could be a little better, but as you showed his results are skewed by the number of long kicks he has attempted. He's solid.

BlueBrewer
09-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Was it just me or did Crosby almost make it through the uprights on a kickoff last night?

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Was it just me or did Crosby almost make it through the uprights on a kickoff last night?

I thought he made it, but that was after a 15 yard penalty.

Crosby is solid (with the potential to be great). I also like having a guy that I know will put most kickoffs to the goalline or beyond--even at Lambeau.

BlueBrewer
09-14-2009, 02:42 PM

I thought he made it, but that was after a 15 yard penalty.

Crosby is solid (with the potential to be great). I also like having a guy that I know will put most kickoffs to the goalline or beyond--even at Lambeau.

that makes more sense now, damn I thought he just got pumped huge for a second.

I used to love watching Hall kickoff through the uprights at Camp Randall.

red
09-14-2009, 03:04 PM
the team didn't do crosby too many favors last years

there were a few times when the team almost looked like 50-55 yards was close enough and would hardly try to get any closer

they would just trot crosby out there and let him take all the blame when he misses a 55 yarder to win the game.

i felt bad for the guy

Pugger
09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I'll chalk up that first FG miss to nerves but he came thru later during the game. And it is nice to have kicker that can have better kickoffs than Shortwell's.

sheepshead
09-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I have no problems with Mason Crosby. I think our kicking game is as solid as it gets in the NFL.

Tony Oday
09-14-2009, 03:45 PM
I still do not feel like it is automatic when it is a 40 yarder with Crosby. I would like an upgrade over him because last night he should have made the 49 yarder then we wouldn't have needed the last minute drive to win. It might not even be him, if it is the snapper and the holder then lets PICK two guys and stick with them.

gbgary
09-14-2009, 03:51 PM
last year the Pack was playing from behind most of the time. he's got a big leg and they needed the points from where ever they could get them. 50 yards and further...get used to it. i'll take an occasional miss from him in trade for the range he's got.

Patler
09-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I still do not feel like it is automatic when it is a 40 yarder with Crosby. I would like an upgrade over him because last night he should have made the 49 yarder then we wouldn't have needed the last minute drive to win. It might not even be him, if it is the snapper and the holder then lets PICK two guys and stick with them.

Do you really think a 49 yard field goal should be "automatic"?

Tony Oday
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM

I said 40 yarder not almost 50.

Patler
09-14-2009, 04:00 PM

Then why are you so down on him, or the group, for missing the 49 yarder?

Tony Oday
09-14-2009, 04:04 PM

I am not down on him really last night, do I think that he should hit the 49 yarder at least 85% of the time? Yes I do, but I just do not feel like I did with Schlonwell and Jacke when the 40 yard field goal went up it was a gimme. Not saying they were more accurate because I haven't looked at the stats however I just am not confident in Crosby.

The Leaper
09-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Nothing wrong with Crosby...no, he isn't Vinatieri, but the kid has a great leg and above average accuracy. The fact he isn't flawless just makes it easier for us to keep him in Green Bay long term.

Freak Out
09-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Is Crosby hurting? I saw where he had some sort of abdominal injury and the Pack may sign another kicker? WTF?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-16-2009, 04:05 PM

I am not down on him really last night, do I think that he should hit the 49 yarder at least 85% of the time? Yes I do, but I just do not feel like I did with Schlonwell and Jacke when the 40 yard field goal went up it was a gimme. Not saying they were more accurate because I haven't looked at the stats however I just am not confident in Crosby.

then, what is you point? Your confidence level is how we should judge a kicker? Perhaps your confidence is affected by jacke's longer tenure because....

the thing is, your confidence level appears to be...well, completely unfounded...at least when it comes to Jacke.

Jacke was a career 75% from 30-39, as was 62.5% from 40-49.

Crosby is a career 84% from 30-39, as is 66.6% from 40-49.

The expression is that you should trust your guy, but in your case...don't. :wink:

swede
09-16-2009, 04:14 PM

What was his scoring % with Mike Holmgren's daughter?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-16-2009, 04:22 PM

What was his scoring % with Mike Holmgren's daughter?

66.6%...heard she wouldn't give up the 3rd input. :wink:

Little Whiskey
09-16-2009, 04:56 PM

then, what is you point? Your confidence level is how we should judge a kicker? Perhaps your confidence is affected by jacke's longer tenure because....

the thing is, your confidence level appears to be...well, completely unfounded...at least when it comes to Jacke.

The expression is that you should trust your guy, but in your case...don't. :wink:

but Jacke has 51 fg of 40 or more yards whereas Crosby only has 21.

lies, damn lies, and statistics.

sure jacke has a lower percentage, but he has a lot more years to affect his average. 11yrs vs 3yrs. I'm not saying that Jacke is better or that i would rather have him over crosby, just saying there is more to numbers than just numbers.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2009, 05:32 PM

sure jacke has a lower percentage, but he has a lot more years to affect his average. 11yrs vs 3yrs. I'm not saying that Jacke is better or that i would rather have him over crosby, just saying there is more to numbers than just numbers.

Kickers tend to get better with age--not worse.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Exactly. that is why i said, his confidence mite be affected by tenure. There is no other explanation other than tenure. And, that can't be affected until mason plays that many years.

The fact is that jacke was a worse kicker percentage wise, but when you are consistently doing what he did..you get used to it..and feel pretty darn good about it.

Give mason another couple of years..and at his current #s, and we all will feel the same about him as we did about jacke and longwell.

You can't knock Mason because his career has been shorter. Should we do the same for jennings? No, we look at where they are, and then we start to project.

And, as Harv said, kickers get better, usually, with age.

P.S. Even your numbers help Mason....51 fg in 11 years vs. 21 in 3. Extrapolate that out..and mason is ahead by 10 in his 9th year. :wink:

mmmdk
09-16-2009, 06:44 PM

Kickers tend to get better with age--not worse.

True!

Or they get cut !