PDA

View Full Version : Bengals - Packers preview

KYPack
09-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Many on here realize the "KY" in my screen name is for Kentucky. I live in a suburb of Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky. Here then is a preview of our next opponent, "your" Cincy Bengals.

Overview. The Packers "do it right" and build from within. The Bengals are a patchwork team, built from some vets they drafted, cast-offs from other teams, and raw draft picks, playing a year or two before they are ready. That said, they do have one thing going for them. They are uniformly pissed off. The Bengals were beaten on a freakish, last second play by Denver last Sunday. The "Bungals" feel they got screwed and this is a must game for them. They will play very hard and make a good effort on Sunday.

Bengals on offense. The Bengals have a pretty good running game. Cedric Benson was the #4 pick for the Bears in the draft. He was also cut by the Bears after he was busted on trumped-up charges down in Houston. Eager to unload the immature Benson's big contract, the Bears quickly released him. He plays for around the minimum and runs hard and is surprisingly quick.
The Bengals OLine suffered a loss before they got started. ROT Andre Smith held out, came in late and fat, & broke his foot in his first practice. What's left is an average group who are so-so at both run blocking and pass protection.
The average OLine means trouble for QB Carson Palmer. Once seen as one of the league's top QB's, Palmer has come down a peg or two. He still possesses a live arm and is a strong leader. His mobility is limited. He's a big guy and never was that fast. Now a serious knee injury in 2005 and various ankle ailments have rendered him pretty immobile. Good pressure can hinder him and take him out of his game.
His receivers are a good group. Chad Ochocinco (how bad do you hate that name?) is now the league clown, but still a very effective player. The Bengals foolishly let '08 leading receiver TJ Houshmandzadeh escape to Seattle in FA. Newcomer Laverneus Coles is doing his imitation of the invisible man. Chris Henry may be the best slot receiver in the league and is lethal running deep seam routes, but he has leg miseries. These WR's can do some damage and match up very well with our secondary. Dom Capers needs to send solid pressure to make Palmer throw early.

The Bengals on defense are a patchwork group. A few kids, a few cast-offs and some high draft picks. DC Mike Zimmer was the star of HBO's "Hard Knocks" and he leads a fiery group that reflects his personality. Dhani Jones, Tank Johnson, and Roy Williams , are the cast-offs on this side of the ball. Two former #1 picks are the corners, Ray Maualuga & Keith Rivers play for the Bengals, not USC at LB.
A very interesting match-up is in the DLine. Robert Geathers is the Bengals LDE. He can be a world beater for a game, then he may disappear for a couple games. If Geathers is fired up and on his game, Barbre will need help from somebody chipping. Geathers is a strong player and can edge rush as good as anybody in the league when he feels like it.

On D the Bengals play a base 4-3 with many variations. They zone blitz some, play 3-4 some and run a lively mix. Their safeties gamble and are too aggressive at times. MM and the boys can burn this D in the deep middle with the right game plan.

The Bengal's season is on the line. This game with the Packers starts a difficult run for Cincy. The Steelers play 'em next week, then the Bengals go to Cleveland. They all know they need this game. They will be ready to play. That said, there are too many match-ups that fall solidly in the Packer's favor. I look for Cincy to hit a few plays, but fall well short, GB 31 - Cincy 17

oregonpackfan
09-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the preview, KY. This could very well be a "trap" game for the Packers as they should beat the Bengals but will lose if start thinking the game as a "W."

mmmdk
09-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the preview, KY. This could very well be a "trap" game for the Packers as they should beat the Bengals but will lose if start thinking the game as a "W."

...so you think Packers can beat the Bengals? :P

boiga
09-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks KY, it's hard to get a read on these guys from just the national coverage.

Do the Bengals have a quality backfield and LB corps? They held the Broncos, but stopping Orton's pass game doesn't take much. Do you see anything that could be exploited?

Scott Campbell
09-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Nice preview - thanks. I heard Chris Henry lit up this preseason, but disappeared against Denver . Now I know why.

Fosco33
09-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks KY, it's hard to get a read on these guys from just the national coverage.

Do the Bengals have a quality backfield and LB corps? They held the Broncos, but stopping Orton's pass game doesn't take much. Do you see anything that could be exploited?

They've got some rook/2yr USC stars (that looked decent) and the Benson (ex-Bear)as a RB.

Keys-
Pass protection
Pressure Palmer
Take better advantage of opportunities (turnovers, momentum shifts)

Some would think the Bungals will be pissed and ready to play after the Bronco game - but they were losing practically the entire game until late. I think a close loss like that will stick in their heads and be a demotivator.

Rather than look past the Bunglas, let's just go out and kick their ass.

Fosco33
09-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Nice preview - thanks. I heard Chris Henry lit up this preseason, but disappeared against Denver . Now I know why.

Palmer, "They weren’t going to let the ball go over their heads. They played two deep safeties — as deep as a safety that I’ve ever seen. Their mind set was to not let us throw the ball downfield. We tried to a number of times, but you just can’t force it. We had Chris on a number of deep routes, but if he’s double covered ... You have to take your shots when the shots are there. You can’t take shots just to take shots. They came with that mindset, and they did a good job. They have two really good cover corners and an experienced safety in (Brian) Dawkins. They lined up 25 yards deep and started backpedaling. They weren’t going to let the ball go over their heads. They wanted to keep the ball in front of them, and they did a good job of that.”

Cheesehead Craig
09-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Dhani Jones at least has a cool show on the Travel channel.

Guiness
09-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Great write-up KY. Lots of good insight. Is Benson really playing for the minimum? Wow.

While this could be a a classic 'look-ahead' game, they're in St-L next week, so it's not like they've got some key game the following week to look ahead to. That should help keep them from getting distracted.

Fritz
09-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Good write up, KY. It's going to be some tough sledding - gotta bring it against Palmer, but you risk the bomb to one of the receivers.

All I can say is, the O line needs to block.

hoosier
09-15-2009, 12:27 PM

I'm glad the Packers get the Bengals now, after a somewhat disappointing opener, instead of in the middle of season when they're on a roll and feeling good about themselves. I think the OL problems and inability to move the ball against CHI will prevent GB from taking CIN for granted.

mission
09-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah we need to go out and kick the shit outta them this Sunday!

KYPack
09-15-2009, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the nice coments, boys. That gets rare around here, sometimes. The Bengals do have a few weaknesses that can be exploited. I also have few comments that I forget to mention.

The LB's? Ray Maualuga is a real hitter, but he's a rookie, now. He even makes mistakes in his run fits. A play pass will fool the shit out of him and I'd run "key breakers" all the time in the running game. He's a hoss with a lot to learn.

In the same vein, the Bengals slot corners are green as goose shit and can be readily exploited. I'd run 3 and 4 WR sets ASAP in the game, we should get a lot of production out of James Jones and Jordy Nelson.

This game is a trap game in the sense that Bengals are pissed from last weeks game. We've gotta beat the team we see come out to play next week. The Bengals can make some hay against our safeties and that group must play well.

The Bengals Roy Williams (ex-Dallas) is the same old guy he was in big "D". Play passes work like a champ against Roy and should be used to our advantage.

Couple minor notes:

Abdul Hodge is now a man. He's the back-up at a couple LB spots and he's learned to cover. He is mainly a ST demon and he's become the guy we thought he might be. he's no starter, but a good hand and a hitter.

DeShawn Wynn is from Cincy and I finally look for that sumbitch to have a good game, knowing the home folk will be watching him play.

KYPack
09-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Great write-up KY. Lots of good insight. Is Benson really playing for the minimum? Wow.

While this could be a a classic 'look-ahead' game, they're in St-L next week, so it's not like they've got some key game the following week to look ahead to. That should help keep them from getting distracted.

I was in error to say Benson was playing for the minimum. He was, last season. The Bengal tigers signed him to a two year 7 million deal in the off season. I must have been drinking in the winter and missed the whole thing. It's still a far cry from the multi-million dollar deal he had w/ Da Bears.

Little Whiskey
09-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I'll be in attendence at the game this week. I'll be the guy in the cammo, tiger hunting.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-15-2009, 05:22 PM

Yeah. I gotta a lot of respect for him. He ain't afraid to be completely outta his element.

Freak Out
09-15-2009, 05:40 PM

Yeah. I gotta a lot of respect for him. He ain't afraid to be completely outta his element.

I've seen the guy interviewed a couple of times and was impressed...that Looks like a very cool show.

Why has he bounced around the NFL as much as he has?

Freak Out
09-15-2009, 05:41 PM
I'll be in attendence at the game this week. I'll be the guy in the cammo, tiger hunting.

You and about 50,000 of your friends right?

boiga
09-15-2009, 05:47 PM
There's another indepth fan preview of the Bengals-Packers game over at Acme Packing (http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2009/9/15/1031559/previewing-cincinnattis-visit-to#storyjump) They agree with most of KY's points and suggest we have major advantages against their O-line and secondary (Roy Williams.)

They also suggest that the Cinci D-line is "better than advertised" but shouldn't be as dangerous as Bears'. What's your take on them KY? Will Arod get time to throw this week?

Little Whiskey
09-15-2009, 06:34 PM

You and about 50,000 of your friends right?

How did you know i had that many friends? they probably won't all be wearing camo. it just doesn't look good on everyone

KYPack
09-15-2009, 07:42 PM
There's another indepth fan preview of the Bengals-Packers game over at Acme Packing (http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2009/9/15/1031559/previewing-cincinnattis-visit-to#storyjump) They agree with most of KY's points and suggest we have major advantages against their O-line and secondary (Roy Williams.)

They also suggest that the Cinci D-line is "better than advertised" but shouldn't be as dangerous as Bears'. What's your take on them KY? Will Arod get time to throw this week?

The main thing that needs to happen is Barbre needs help (if required) on DE Robert Geathers. Geather is Jumpy Geather's nephew. the old boy must have spent time with the nephew bc he is a finished product, knows a lot of tricks. He's one of those guys that will wreak havoc if not accounted for. If you do pay attention to him, he's usually nuetralized.

The article wasn't bad, altho the guy admitted he didn't know anything about most of the Bengal players.

Tha explains one of the errors I found in it.

"It helps that they drafted Michael Johnson in the third round, a DE out of Texas that Brandon may have been pining for with Green Bay's second round pick."

Michael Johnson is a good looking, skinny-ass DE out of Georgia Tech. Mish mentioned him during draft time last year. Johnson has some skills, but I doubt he will be any factor in this game.

KYPack
09-16-2009, 09:22 AM
The Bengals have never won at Lambeau. The series is 5-5 between the Bengals and the Pack. The Bengals have won two games on the road against GB, but both of them were at County Stadium in Milw.

The last meeting between the Packers and the Bengals was at Paul Brown Stadium in 2005. the Bengals won 21 -14. That was the game in which a fan snatched the ball from Brett Favre during a play. The Packers drove from deep in their own territory in the final minute only to see a play blown dead on the Bengals’ 28 when a fan jumped out of the stands and ran onto the field. The man grabbed the ball out of Favre’s hand and eluded security, which needed several minutes to tackle and arrest him. The long delay broke the Packers’ momentum, Favre was sacked on the next play and then threw a desperation pass .

Marvin Lewis and Mike McCarthy have coached on the same staff before. Lewis and McCarthy were both assistant coaches at the University of Pittsburgh in 1990 and 1991.

Dom Capers coached with Marvin Lewis on the Steelers staff in the early 90's.

Fritz
09-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I have two questions:

How on earth is Marvin Lewis still the head coach of the Bengals in this day and age of win-now?

Can we nickname Robert Geathers "Spazzy"?

KYPack
09-16-2009, 04:04 PM
I have two questions:

How on earth is Marvin Lewis still the head coach of the Bengals in this day and age of win-now?

Can we nickname Robert Geathers "Spazzy"?

Lewis keeps his gig based on a positve 2005 season. The owner is half nuts and trys to encourage loyalty in a league that pays no attention to loyalty.

Robert Geathers is a big key to this game. He is faster than Oguleye, but not as strong. OG freaked Barbre out with his early bull rushes. Barbre couldn't handle him and totally panicked. If he pulls the same stunt vs Geathers, it could be ugly.

I think Barbre will be prepared enuff to at least play Geathers to a draw. If so, we beat the Bengals quite easily.

Cliffy must stalemate the other DE, Odoms. Odums had two sacks last week vs a mediocre DE. Cliffy outta get him handled, I'd think.

MOBB DEEP
09-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Pack will blow them out! 34-10

Little Whiskey
09-16-2009, 06:50 PM

I hope so Mobb, I've got a plane at Mitchell to catch at 7pm.

MOBB DEEP
09-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Ahhh, Mitchell Field.....been there SO often and will be there the friday b4 MNF pack/minny....travling mercies Whisk

Little Whiskey
09-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Ahhh, Mitchell Field.....been there SO often and will be there the friday b4 MNF pack/minny....travling mercies Whisk

I'm actually hopeing the flight will be delayed. .......and that i find out early enough to finish the game!!

MOBB DEEP
09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Is that the last flight tho? I believe it is for Airtran coming out east

Tarlam!
09-17-2009, 02:19 AM
The circus is coming to town!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/09000d5d812acfb4/Ochocinco-embrace-me-Wisconsin

He's very respectful of Al Harris, though, that #85 of theirs...

KYPack
09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
The circus is coming to town!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/09000d5d812acfb4/Ochocinco-embrace-me-Wisconsin

He's very respectful of Al Harris, though, that #85 of theirs...

Chad is nuts, but he is tough. He really runs some hard routes to cover. Al must cover that back shoulder fade and the false shakes. Chad runs those as good as any WR in the game.

Fritz
09-17-2009, 12:39 PM
How about some safety help for Harris?

Rouse? Uh, Aaron Rouse? Are you out there? Little help?

Fritz
09-18-2009, 07:03 AM
You know what's kinda weird? I didn't think too much of the Bengals - they weren't listed as any kind of pre-season favorite to do anything - but as the game approaches, I keep reading stuff (on this board, in the GBPG, the JSO) about how tough the Bengals' D is, how good their receivers are, how much better Benson looks at RB now.

So are they really some under-the-radar Super Bowl contender? Are they this really good team no one knows about?

KYPack
09-18-2009, 08:04 AM
You know what's kinda weird? I didn't think too much of the Bengals - they weren't listed as any kind of pre-season favorite to do anything - but as the game approaches, I keep reading stuff (on this board, in the GBPG, the JSO) about how tough the Bengals' D is, how good their receivers are, how much better Benson looks at RB now.

So are they really some under-the-radar Super Bowl contender? Are they this really good team no one knows about?

They've got Arizona-like personnel. Although I think Zona had more extra corners than the Bengals have.

The stars would have to line up perfectly for the Bengals to do something like the Cards did last season.

Cincy's safeties are good hit, no cover, also.

MOBB DEEP
09-18-2009, 08:19 AM

Chad predicted 12-4 with a straight face on espn

The worry around here derives from hyperbole and the built-in paranoia of the Rats and local media though; im not worried one bit

BLOW OUT!

Fritz
09-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Got it.

Pugger
09-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I too think the Pack should win this game going away - unless we are complacent and take them lightly. There are ZERO teams that you can take lightly. As they say, on any given Sunday...

hoosier
09-18-2009, 11:11 AM

They've got Arizona-like personnel. Although I think Zona had more extra corners than the Bengals have.

The stars would have to line up perfectly for the Bengals to do something like the Cards did last season.

Cincy's safeties are good hit, no cover, also.

Their big question seems to be Carson Palmer. If he makes a complete comeback this year their offense could be formidable. Of course that would also mean that Cedric Benson can stay healthy, out of trouble and productive for a whole year (which he's never done) and that Henry and/or Coles can provide a viable complementary receiver like Housh did. With so many questions, it probably is a stars lining up just right kind of deal. And it seems more likely that the Bengals continue their recent trend of mediocrity, especially considering they have to play the Steelers and Titans twice each.

Fritz
09-19-2009, 03:35 PM
I have been thinking about why I'm looking at the Bengals so differently, and worrying more about this game. First, it's my cautious nature as a fan. Secondly, it's having learned more about the Bengals. Thirdly, however, I think the negative drumbeat of the media coverage has affected me.

The Packers beat the Bears. No, it wasn't a beat down like the first pre-season games, but when did I or we fall prey to thinking the preseason proves much? But the Packers won. Yet the focus of the media coverage has been, by and large, on the woes of the offensive line. Barbre is the whipping boy that Colledge was in 07, yet it's only been one game.

I'm not saying the Pack is a perfect team, or a sure fire bet. I'm just saying that many fans - myself included at times - are acting like the Packers lost that game. Winning in the NFL ain't that easy.

This is still a good, young team whose players are entering their primes.

Let's go Pack!

MOBB DEEP
09-20-2009, 05:09 AM
Good point about wins not coming easy in NFL...

No worries!

I have no eloquent words or fancy breakdown but am quite sure that the Pack will begin to be dominant any second now....

LETS GOOO....!!!