PDA

View Full Version : Bring back my man Scott Wells!

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Clifton-Spitz-Wells-Sitton-Colledge

Come on, they have to do it.

Remember how bad Colledge sucked when he first tried to play NFL tackle? It takes a couple years to break these guys in.

I like Barbre, I place no limit on how good he can be. Playing in space as a pass-blocking tackle might never be his thing, nobody knows, but Sunday night shows he has a long way to go.

The team is too good to be dragged-down by such a weak link. Put the five best linemen on the field. It doesn't do any good to "build continuity" with a lineup that you are going to have to shift later on.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2009, 04:33 PM
They might have to, if Barbre keeps it up. I doubt Lang is ready. Any word on when Tauscher will be healthy?

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2009, 04:36 PM
"Tauscher, who is out of the NFL, is believed to be continuing his rehabilitation on his own and could be ready to return to football in the next month. Shortly before training camp opened, General Manager Ted Thompson refused to close the door on Tauscher’s possible return. It might be time to consider that."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090913/PKR01/90913042/1058/PKR01

boiga
09-15-2009, 04:56 PM
But Harlan, Colledge got better by getting live reps every week with the starting lineup. I can't say Barbre performed so much worse than a couple of those revolving door games Colledge had in '06, '07. Unlike Colledge in '06, Barbre isn't lacking the strength to perform at this level, so he should be able to adjust faster.

My take is that the guy spazzed in his first NFL start under the bright lights of Sunday Night Football. He forgot all his technique and fundamentals under the pressure, but the guy's got great upside should he get his head in the game. Give him a few weeks to settle into his position, and I think he'll be fine by the time we get into the bye week.

If not, that's when Tausch should be healthy again anyway. No need to redo the Oline from scratch.

Guiness
09-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I wonder what the team's feelings are Tauscher really are. It seems to me he was playing at a high level up until his injury. I seem to remember it being said that we might not be able to afford to re-sign him.

Is there no mechanism by which the Pack could sign him so he could use their facilities and medical staff to rehab, without costing the team too much? If he signed for the vet minimum, he wouldn't count because he wouldn't be one of the 'x' top salaries, right?

Seems to me this is a shortcoming in how the salary cap is set up. A team should be able to sign a guy trying to come back from an injury and let him rehab on their dime if they want. The only reason this situation occurred is because he got injured at the end of his contract year. If he had a year left on his contract, he'd still be on the tab.

Gunakor
09-15-2009, 05:49 PM
But Harlan, Colledge got better by getting live reps every week with the starting lineup. I can't say Barbre performed so much worse than a couple of those revolving door games Colledge had in '06, '07. Unlike Colledge in '06, Barbre isn't lacking the strength to perform at this level, so he should be able to adjust faster.

My take is that the guy spazzed in his first NFL start under the bright lights of Sunday Night Football. He forgot all his technique and fundamentals under the pressure, but the guy's got great upside should he get his head in the game. Give him a few weeks to settle into his position, and I think he'll be fine by the time we get into the bye week.

If not, that's when Tausch should be healthy again anyway. No need to redo the Oline from scratch.

Yet every loss counts. If making this switch to the OL gives us a better opportunity to win right now, then we should make that switch in an effort to win as many games as possible before the bye week.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2009, 05:57 PM

ya, Barbre is a real moose, I was optimistic going into the season about having Sitton-Barbre.

IF memory serves me correctly, Colledge got benched at left tackle the year he struggled so badly. They put some veteran slug out there in his place.

My take is that the guy spazzed in his first NFL start under the bright lights of Sunday Night Football. He forgot all his technique and fundamentals under the pressure, but the guy's got great upside should he get his head in the game.

Possibly true.

I'm skeptical that he has the quick feet for pass blocking on the edge. It wasn't technique, he was moving in the right direction but was just too damn slow.

Give him a few weeks to settle into his position, and I think he'll be fine by the time we get into the bye week. If not, that's when Tausch should be healthy again anyway. No need to redo the Oline from scratch.

I'm not so patient. Rodgers will be watching the games from his hospital bed, gumming his oatmeal. I hope Tauscher comes back, but honestly that is nothing to count on. I'm just barely comfortable with waiting another week to make the switch. MM, are you listening?

mission
09-15-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm just barely comfortable with waiting another week to make the switch. MM, are you listening?

I sure hope he is ... Im with you on this one.

gbpackfan
09-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm just barely comfortable with waiting another week to make the switch. MM, are you listening?

I sure hope he is ... Im with you on this one.

I'll let you both in a on a little secret. No, he's not listening (or reading). Sorry to burst your bubble.

boiga
09-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Yet every loss counts. If making this switch to the OL gives us a better opportunity to win right now, then we should make that switch in an effort to win as many games as possible before the bye week. I'm more patient right now, mostly because we're up against the Bengals and the Rams the next two weeks. That should give Barbre time to settle in without threatening Rodger's life. They'll give him some chip help if necessary and the QB will be more heads up. He'll live.

IF memory serves me correctly, Colledge got benched at left tackle the year he struggled so badly. They put some veteran slug out there in his place Colledge started in 46 of 50 career games, and while he was benched for the second half of that Dallas game in '07 where he got Favre hurt, I think he started the next week anyway. As bad as Barbre was Sunday, he's still way far ahead of '06 Colledge. He can at least run block occasionally.

And yes, Barbre looked slow, but don't you think that was a matter of playing slow rather than being slow? Read what Campen said here (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/59277057.html) to Bedard. Barbre's fundamentals were much much worse during the game than during practice or the preseason. That means that he can improve quickly from Sunday's performance if he gets his head on straight.

And he has two relatively easy weeks to acclimate himself to the pressure, so it's way to early to panic after one bad game.

cheesner
09-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Yet every loss counts. If making this switch to the OL gives us a better opportunity to win right now, then we should make that switch in an effort to win as many games as possible before the bye week. I'm more patient right now, mostly because we're up against the Bengals and the Rams the next two weeks. That should give Barbre time to settle in without threatening Rodger's life. They'll give him some chip help if necessary and the QB will be more heads up. He'll live.

IF memory serves me correctly, Colledge got benched at left tackle the year he struggled so badly. They put some veteran slug out there in his place Colledge started in 46 of 50 career games, and while he was benched for the second half of that Dallas game in '07 where he got Favre hurt, I think he started the next week anyway. As bad as Barbre was Sunday, he's still way far ahead of '06 Colledge. He can at least run block occasionally.

And yes, Barbre looked slow, but don't you think that was a matter of playing slow rather than being slow? Read what Campen said here (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/59277057.html) to Bedard. Barbre's fundamentals were much much worse during the game than during practice or the preseason. That means that he can improve quickly from Sunday's performance if he gets his head on straight.

And he has two relatively easy weeks to acclimate himself to the pressure, so it's way to early to panic after one bad game.

Good post. You cannot over react to these things. Barbre performed poorly in the first half and played much better in the 2nd half. He actually had some pretty good blocks on some of those running plays. If we gave up this quickly on all our OL who had rough beginnings, Rivera, Colledge, Wahle, Spitz and others would never have developed.

MM will do a little better game planning next week, Barber will be better prepared, and I expect to see much better play as a result.

Remember, he is very big, strong, and athletic. If it clicks for him, he could be a dominant force on the right side. Tausch was good, Barbre could be great. It is simply worth the growing pains to see if he develops into what he can. I am not sure there are any better options on the roster or on the FA market right now anyway. Certainly nobody who offers as much upside.

Play on!

digitaldean
09-15-2009, 07:49 PM
There's no way I want Wells back at center. Yes, moving someone in to spell Barbre plus moving Spitz over would mean bringing in Wells. But then he makes your center area more of a liability. He has a ton of fight in him, but he is too small and got pushed around too easily last year.

I am for trading one of our FBs for even a mediocre tackle as a stopgap.

Barbre looked like a turnstile out there, I'll grant you that.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2009, 09:40 PM
As bad as Barbre was Sunday, he's still way far ahead of '06 Colledge. He can at least run block occasionally.

You're killing me. NOBODY was as bad as Barbre Sunday night, that was a historic exhibition. That was worse than some of the classic olineman stinkers up in the humper dome. It doesn't matter if Barbre is an all-pro run blocker if he can't protect the QB.

Every game that you delay making the switch is one less game that a new lineup has to work together. It's not a question of panic, its getting the best five best guys on the field EARLY in the season so they can build some consistency.

As unenthusiastic as I am about Wells, he doesn't hurt the team.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2009, 09:41 PM
I am for trading one of our FBs for even a mediocre tackle as a stopgap .

To get a guy who can play, you'd have to trade Chiller.

pbmax
09-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Colledge was not benched while playing tackle. He has always been an injury replacement at tackle. Jason Taylor made Colledge look like Barbre the first two pass plays then they sent the TE over on a more or less permanent basis for that Miami game.

I would hope Lang would go to LG in your configuration of Colledge at Right Tackle. But if Wells is truly their sixth best, he might go in. I think swapping around 3 lineman would be worse than waiting for Barbre to get his act together. Has Colledge played any Right Tackle at all?

And remember, Bruce Wilkerson started finally in Game 4 versus Minnesota I think of the 96 season.

Packers4Ever
09-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Clifton-Spitz-Wells-Sitton-Colledge

Come on, they have to do it.

Remember how bad Colledge sucked when he first tried to play NFL tackle? It takes a couple years to break these guys in.

I like Barbre, I place no limit on how good he can be. Playing in space as a pass-blocking tackle might never be his thing, nobody knows, but Sunday night shows he has a long way to go.

The team is too good to be dragged-down by such a weak link. Put the five best linemen on the field. It doesn't do any good to "build continuity" with a lineup that you are going to have to shift later on.

Agree with you 100%, HH, it drove me nuts all last fall with that (almost) constant shifting in the 'O' - did it really accomplish much? How could it when any minute there'd be another injury = move again. Is it really so difficult to find adequate, qualified Guards, Tackles, etc so each could nail down his spot, I miss Wells and Tausch too....let's not let the quality of play get dragged down, we need good, consistent players.

pbmax
09-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Agree with you 100%, HH, it drove me nuts all last fall with that (almost) constant shifting in the 'O' - did it really accomplish much? How could it when any minute there'd be another injury = move again. Is it really so difficult to find adequate, qualified Guards, Tackles, etc so each could nail down his spot, I miss Wells and Tausch too....let's not let the quality of play get dragged down, we need good, consistent players.
Last year was the steadiest lineup we have had since McCarthy came on board, until Tauscher go hurt. Do you mean shifting in the preseason in 2008?

pbmax
09-15-2009, 10:38 PM
I wonder what the team's feelings are Tauscher really are. It seems to me he was playing at a high level up until his injury. I seem to remember it being said that we might not be able to afford to re-sign him.

Is there no mechanism by which the Pack could sign him so he could use their facilities and medical staff to rehab, without costing the team too much? If he signed for the vet minimum, he wouldn't count because he wouldn't be one of the 'x' top salaries, right?

Seems to me this is a shortcoming in how the salary cap is set up. A team should be able to sign a guy trying to come back from an injury and let him rehab on their dime if they want. The only reason this situation occurred is because he got injured at the end of his contract year. If he had a year left on his contract, he'd still be on the tab.
Tauscher can still pass block, but even on that he started to slip last year. Not Barbre-esque, but it was his worst numbers in McGinn's season round up since he was a rookie I believe. What he can no longer do is run block well. He was never a huge drive blocker, but he has limited mobility and trouble blocking the zone runs. And that was pre-injury. Waldo or someone had a good post about how we were actually better at running between the tackle than outside last year.

Gunakor
09-16-2009, 02:16 AM
There's no way I want Wells back at center. Yes, moving someone in to spell Barbre plus moving Spitz over would mean bringing in Wells. But then he makes your center area more of a liability. He has a ton of fight in him, but he is too small and got pushed around too easily last year.

Wells can play center better than Barbre can play tackle.
Colledge can play tackle better than Barbre can play tackle.
Spitz can play guard better than Wells can play guard.

Looking at these things, I think, to get your best 5 men out there, you have to move Spitz over to guard, put Wells in at center, and shift Colledge over to tackle. And that should have been the plan back in June.

vince
09-16-2009, 02:54 AM
Barbre got used to matching up against Kampman and Jolly in practice day in and day out, neither of whom have the speed rush that Ogunleye exhibited obviously.

Our defensive approach to rushing the edge is to power rush through the tackle and collapse the pocket from the outside in, not go around tackle (and usually the quarterback). Both Greene and Capers have made comments to that effect. That's what Barbre got used to blocking against all training camp.

Barbre has the footspeed and ability to handle the speed rush. He's very athletic for an o-lineman, so that's not the problem. He got caught off-guard by the speed of Ogunleye in his first game at Tackle because he hadn't seen it before. Once he got beat on the edge and Ogunleye got into his head, the classic technique is to get him leaning and counter with the club move to the inside, ala Reggie White.

There'll be more challenges for him, as he's basically as raw as a rookie at RT, but I think he'll adjust adequately. Someone mentioned Colledge and Jason Taylor, and I think this is the exact scenario playing out with an experienced speed rusher taking advantage of a lineman with the ability, but not the praparation to handle him. Part of that responsibility lies with the coaches.

McCarthy will lean toward giving his guy a chip from the TE or back for additional support while he continues to gain experience and success. I also suspect the coaches will task Brad Jones to emphasize challenging him with the speed rush off the edge on the scout team in practice a lot more so he can gain better balance to handle both the speed and power rush.

In terms of where Barbre's first start at RT would go down in the history of poor tackle performances, you can look at the record books and see hundreds of worse performances. Derrick Thomas once had 7 sacks in a game coming of the edge against someone. 6 sacks in games has been accomplished many times as well. Barbre's first game was definitely not good, but he got better as the game progressed in the game and I believe he'll continue to get better to hold his own at RT.

I don't think the coaches want to move Colledge to the right side, and Wells doesn't give them the stoutness they are looking for on the line.

Gunakor
09-16-2009, 03:45 AM
I don't think the coaches want to move Colledge to the right side.

Why not? That's the question I'd like to ask, and have been dying to figure out since June. He'd likely do better than anybody else we could throw out there on the right side of the line. It's obvious they don't want to do it, but why not?

vince
09-16-2009, 05:18 AM

Why not? That's the question I'd like to ask, and have been dying to figure out since June. He'd likely do better than anybody else we could throw out there on the right side of the line. It's obvious they don't want to do it, but why not?
They may need to do that Gunk, but the offseason, training camp and preseason indicated that Barbre can get it done. You need a solid left side of the line too.

Barbre has the ability. It was his first ever start. He played badly in it. I agree with coaching him up and seeing how he responds before jumping off the deep end and returning to musical chairs along with the line - as has been identified as a problem in the past. We need a consistent running game and well-schemed pass protection. That'll likely include some help for Barbre for a bit.

We know about Wells' propensity to get pushed backwards, and Lang has a bigger learning curve than Barbre, so while changes are bound to occur if Barbre shits the can again, it's not yet time to jump off that cliff.

Barbre at RT, Spitz at C, and Colledge at LG should give them their best overall line all things considered over the course of a season and beyond. He has the ability. No one knows whether he'll respond, but I agree with giving him a little more opportunity to establish himself.

pbmax
09-16-2009, 07:20 AM

Because he is a very good Guard. Why move him from his best position?

The five best lineman theory is is wonderful. But if your five best lineman in 2000 included Mike Wahle (which it did), he still couldn't play tackle.

Fritz
09-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Vince has spoken reasonably and logically to this situation. He has done a fine job making a quiet yet powerful argument for keeping Barbre over at RT for a while, at least.

He's done a hell of a lot better than the Press-Gazette, who, after one game - how many games did you say, Fritz? Oh, ONE? - that Barbe is THE weak link of the team. Forget that people were pooping the bed about Bigby, about the linebacker play in the new scheme (replace Hawk now!), about the punter. And don't forget they didn't identify him as such in training camp. Concerns, yes. But panic? No. Oh, and don't forget the body of work they have to draw from: one game. Like I said, if he is so clearly, clearly bad, where was all the anguish in the preseason?

And some of our posters here - normally sage posters - seem to be playing Chicken Little as well. What is up with you people? Many of you seem to want Thompson to run this team like Al Davis - hey, there's a big name. Let's get him! Hey, giving up a first rounder or whatever for a pro bowl defensive tackle will surely save our otherwise rudderless team - let's do that! Hey, that dude is really fast - let's draft him and pay him lots of money!

I mean, I'm not saying Barbe is great. Not even close. And I'm not against bringing Jon Runyan in for a look-see, and keeping tabs on Tauscher. But to suggest that the line needs to be re-shuffled immediately - ah, screw what we've been working on for the last month - seems panicky and unnecessary. To suggest that Barbe should be yanked immediately - that just doesn't seem to me a wise idea.

What do you do if Rouse sucks ass next week? What if he gets burned for three TD's and Bibgy is still out for week three? Cut him?

What if Sitton blows next Sunday and gives up three sacks and four pressures? Whom shall the Packers sign to take over for him?

If you panic every time something goes wrong, you have a panicked organization. Not a recipe for winning.

run pMc
09-16-2009, 07:29 AM
I agree with other posters who think M3 should give Barbre another shot at RT.
I don't think bringing in Wells and shifting Colledge to RT is the best option.
LG to RT is a bigger change in terms of responsibilities, footwork and technique than some people may realize -- on the pro level, it's more than just lining up and knocking heads.
How can people complain about shifting players between positions in preseason and then call for a LG to RT switch after Week 1?

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Colledge was not benched while playing tackle. He has always been an injury replacement at tackle. Jason Taylor made Colledge look like Barbre the first two pass plays then they sent the TE over on a more or less permanent basis for that Miami game.

Good God. Do you have all these old games on video tape, or are you actually crazy? :lol: You have a beautiful mind, if you saw that movie.

I think I might be conflating Colledge with Mike Wahle, who also had a brief and hot audition at LT.

I know for sure that Colledge has filled-in at LT, played well too. You must be right about Colledge's position at the early flame-out, since your eyes have the firey glow of rightous certainty.

I would hope Lang would go to LG in your configuration of Colledge at Right Tackle. But if Wells is truly their sixth best, he might go in. I think swapping around 3 lineman would be worse than waiting for Barbre to get his act together. Has Colledge played any Right Tackle at all?

Ya, shifting sucks, but shifting now is a hell of a lot better than shifting later in the season. That's why it's worth considering now.

IF you are putting Lang at LG, then there is no reason to bring Wells off the bench. I couldn't hazhard a guess whether Lang is better than Wells.

And remember, Bruce Wilkerson started finally in Game 4 versus Minnesota I think of the 96 season.

Didn't he get abused in the dome? I think that was a guy I was thinking of as competition for Barbre's epic night.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Oh ya, and regard to the point of whether Colledge can play tackle: he's beefed-up the last couple years, hell, I'd trust him. I think he is an excellent linemen, very nimble and has some punch.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2009, 07:46 AM
How can people complain about shifting players between positions in preseason and then call for a LG to RT switch after Week 1?

Did you watch the game Sunday night?

See Mike Vandermause's column.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090915/PKR07/90915202/1058/PKR01

I just read a comment there that Barbre will be matched-up part of the time against Cincinatti's Jumpy Gathers

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01Vpgfoahn5vI/294x220.jpg

Gathers may be a better player than Ogunleye.

I think people instinctively think that waiting to make a decision is the conservative, less risky approach. But not making a decision carries risks too.

Colledge can be an excellent tackle, he was an excellent tackle in college, has shown ability at LT in fill-ins in GB, he's beefed-up now. Tackle is a more critical position than guard.

Pull the trigger, Mike.

pbmax
09-16-2009, 07:53 AM

Didn't he get abused in the dome? I think that was a guy I was thinking of as competition for Barbre's epic night.
Gary Brown had the worst time in the dome I think. And Ruettgers knee would not respond.

I think for the reason explained in this thread, McCarthy will have a short leash, but its not short enough to happen before Game 3 unless its a jailbreak again.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Gary Brown had the worst time in the dome I think. And Ruettgers knee would not respond. .

Yes, yes, that was the Oscar-winning performance! My God you have a memory, although I suspect all these details are scribbled on the ceiling and walls of your bedroom, and you review them every night as you lay awake with the lights on, mumbling the names "Mike Sherman" and "Brent Fullwood" and such.

pbmax
09-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Gary Brown had the worst time in the dome I think. And Ruettgers knee would not respond. .

Yes, yes, that was the Oscar-winning performance! My God you have a memory, although I suspect all these details are scribbled on the ceiling and walls of your bedroom, and you review them every night as you lay awake with the lights on, mumbling the names "Mike Sherman" and "Brent Fullwood" and such.
I am new school psychotic Harlan. Its all on DVD, played on a continuous loop. And the fact that Lori Nickel mentioned his name in his article on the line. :D

I am still stunned a team that was that unsettled at LT won the Super Bowl. And it gives Barbre some hope. There is a good chance he is better than Wilkerson, but he has to show it versus Cincy.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2009, 08:34 AM
more memory lane material from Silverstein
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/59284467.html

"Barbre's performance was reminiscent of Mike Wahle falling apart at left tackle during the 2000 season and being replaced by Chad Clifton, or left tackle Gary Brown getting spun around during the 1995 season opener in an emergency start. Unlike Sunday, however, those games resulted in excruciating losses."

sharpe1027
09-16-2009, 08:45 AM
His improvement in the second half suggests that his first half play was at least partially correctable. Ya, his second half wasn't stellar, but he did improve. I think a week of practice and some time for it all to sink in may turn things around for him.

They should get a good feel for what the his mental makeup is this week in practice. If he goes into a shell and plays tenative, then pull the trigger. Otherwise, there's a good chance he'll learn as he goes.

wist43
09-16-2009, 09:06 AM
You guys are always so negative...

We won the game... how can there be trouble in paradise??? :wink:

KYPack
09-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Wist, now that was a funny post.

Barbre had the kind of game that makes you look at alternatives. That was a classic shit game. I think the Pack will lookat more games out of him before making any change. Runyan probably isn't really available. A guy in his position is really looking to hook on back in Philly and get one more year to throw in his own retirement fund.

mraynrand
09-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I am still stunned a team that was that unsettled at LT won the Super Bowl.

They had this QB who was pretty good behind center. Was able to avoid the rush and had a pretty strong arm. Can't recall the fellas name though. Might be out of football with a shoulder injury.

MichiganPackerFan
09-16-2009, 02:29 PM

Funny!

MichiganPackerFan
09-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Babre has some talent that needs developing. We'll see how quick of a learner he is Sunday. Hopefully they'll get that cleaned up ; )

If he's not going to improve immediately, its time to look for an upgrade at the position. If this teal is as good as people seem to think, there's no room for on the job training. Leaving that weak link could cause a missed opportunity.

As a big Tauscher fan, I'd love to see him back. Hard to say goodbye to the players who you've cheered for years (unless of course they make it really easy to say goodbye that is)

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Babre has some talent that needs developing.

True dat. Its just that its unlikely Barbre can develop pass blocking skills in a few games. Other tackles have had learning curves measured in months or seasons.

We'll see, hard to know.

mmmdk
09-16-2009, 08:00 PM

Funny!

...so Barbre is a snake?

mmmdk
09-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Which movie will reflect Barbre's career?

Barbre wire

or

Barbre on a wire?

:lol:

I think both movies suck but that's my crystal ball for ya.

Gunakor
09-17-2009, 04:26 AM

Because he is a very good Guard. Why move him from his best position?

The five best lineman theory is is wonderful. But if your five best lineman in 2000 included Mike Wahle (which it did), he still couldn't play tackle.

We move Colledge away from his best position because he is also a very capable tackle, whereas Barbre is a god awful, green as grass, rarely if ever saw the field even in backup duty before this season, screen door on a submarine type tackle. And we have other very capable guards to fill in at the LG spot Colledge vacates. It's not about putting everybody at the position they are best at individually, it's about putting everybody at the positions that make the entire line the best as a group. Clifton/Spitz/Wells/Sitton/Colledge is a better group than Clifton/Colledge/Spitz/Sitton/Barbre. I know this because I've seen Spitz get the job done at guard, and I've seen Colledge get the job done at tackle. And if they didn't think Wells could get the job done at center, they wouldn't have kept him on the roster. When is Barbre gonna get the job done?

vince
09-17-2009, 04:37 AM
You may well be absolutely right about this Gunk. If Barbre continues to struggle this week, it's possible that Giacomini may get a chance before the scenario you lay out would be implemented though. I'd personally prefer your solution though, even though Barbre performing up to his ability is the best case.

Let's see how Barbre holds up this week.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2009, 07:02 AM
If Barbre continues to struggle this week, it's possible that Giacomini may get a chance

and at that moment we will observe monkeys flying out of MM's butt.

Tarlam!
09-17-2009, 08:01 AM
If Barbre continues to struggle this week, it's possible that Giacomini may get a chance

and at that moment we will observe monkeys flying out of MM's butt.

If a guy like McNabb can get the hook, why can't a guy like Barbe? That's provided the Brazilian is even on the game day roster - now that is the real indication of whether Oz is located in M3's butt or a hurricane away from Kansas as fabled.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2009, 08:07 AM
If a guy like McNabb can get the hook, why can't a guy like Barbe?

my point was that Giacomini won't start, let alone see the field, let alone be activated. I'm pretty sure he is strictly a project.

it's not clear what plan B will be. I will hope that Babre turns a corner this Sunday.

Tarlam!
09-17-2009, 08:33 AM
OK, HH, I read Vince's message differently.

Fritz
09-17-2009, 10:01 AM
And Harlan's post got me wondering...how small would the monkeys have to be? I mean, if gerbils had wings, conceivably it might already have happened somewhere in the world - say, somewhere near Hollywood, where Richard Gere lives.

mraynrand
09-17-2009, 10:48 AM
And Harlan's post got me wondering...how small would the monkeys have to be? I mean, if gerbils had wings, conceivably it might already have happened somewhere in the world - say, somewhere near Hollywood, where Richard Gere lives.

Maybe it would be mini Ditkas.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2009, 10:53 AM
There are more things in heaven and earth, Fritz,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

http://tallshortgirl.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/sea_monkeys2.jpg

Merlin
09-17-2009, 11:54 AM

I am for trading one of our FBs for even a mediocre tackle as a stopgap.

Barbre looked like a turnstile out there, I'll grant you that.

Wells did a fine job at center, it was the fact that the guard play was so poor with Wells at Center that the change was made. Wells is a very smart lineman who does the job. Who was one of those guards? Spitz. When it comes to the OL, it's all about the line gelling and if it gells better with Spitz in there great, but don't for one second believe that Spitz won the job because he was better at it, he may have gotten the job because he sucked at guard and they won't play Wells at guard even though early in his career he did in fact play some guard for us.

As far as "size", there isn't much difference between Spitz and Wells. So that whole theory is just flat out wrong.

Per Packers.com:

C/G JASON SPITZ #72
6' 3" • 302 lbs. • Louisville

C SCOTT WELLS #63
6' 2" • 303 lbs. • Tennessee

As far as tackle goes, Barbre flat out sucked, but it was his first start so it's worth giving him some time to get comfortable at the position. Clifton blew a few blocks as did everyone else.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2009, 01:13 PM
As far as "size", there isn't much difference between Spitz and Wells.

I don't believe published numbers by sports teams, they often boost smaller players. Wells plays small, in any event

Fritz
09-17-2009, 01:21 PM
As far as "size", there isn't much difference between Spitz and Wells.

I don't believe published numbers by sports teams, they often boost smaller players. Wells plays small, in any event

Does he play small enough to fly out of MM's butt?