PDA

View Full Version : Add Any Player And Why

Waldo
09-17-2009, 07:11 PM
If you could add any single player to the Packers, from any team, who would you take? Why this person?

Lurker64
09-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Putting aside any potential offensive linemen I could add, I'd probably pick Maurice Jones-Drew, as he's the most complete and best (IMO) back in the league, and his running style is more conducive to a long career than some other potential "best" backs.

But after I think about it for a while, there's probably some defensive player I want more. Haloti Ngata would be a good addition, I'm not sure.

Brando19
09-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Well...the obvious pick will be Adrian Peterson...so you should have said to exclude him.

I would choose...in this order...
Demarcus Ware: Young beast on defense
Ed Reed: Better than Troy Polamalu
Larry Fitzgerald: Best WR in the NFL

Reggie 92
09-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Nnamdi Asomugha

A true shut down corner who you could count on to take a team's #1 wr out of the game..QB's want no part of this guy. And at 28 years old he's got some good years left.

Patrick Willis would be my next choice: only 24 years old and a real play making tackling machine.

red
09-17-2009, 07:42 PM
i would probably take palamalu

he was everywhere last week before getting hurt. the man is always at the ball

cheesner
09-17-2009, 07:43 PM
1. AP: Not only adds one of the best football players, but subtracts one from our division rival.

2. An OT - one of the three Jake Long, Joe Thomas, or Ryan Clady - all three young and were very good last season. See how each has progressed and take the best of the lot. Why? Our weakest position is OL. Put whoever as RT now and move to LT next season and hope that someone steps up to shine at RT.

Lurker64
09-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Well...the obvious pick will be Adrian Peterson...so you should have said to exclude him.

I would rather have MJD than Peterson, to be honest. Peterson is unquestionably the better runner, but I think that Jones-Drew is the better back. Jones-Drew basically has no holes in his game and he does everything well, in addition to being a very good runner, he's also elite in blitz pickup and is a great receiving threat. Peterson, on the other hand, though he's one of the two or three best runners I've ever seen, is very poor in blitz pickup, has questionable hands as a receiver, has recently had fumbling issues (though, those are correctable), and has a running style that results in him taking a considerable amount of punishment as well as being a very big target in short yardage.

It's probably just a personality thing, but I'd rather have a back who's a 9/10 in everything you'd ask a back to do, than a back who's a 10/10 in one thing, a 6/10 in another thing, a 7/10 in a third thing, a 4/10 in another thing, etc.

falco
09-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Darnell Dockett. Dude gobbles up three blockers on every play and collapses the pocket.

cheesner
09-17-2009, 07:51 PM

I would rather have MJD than Peterson, to be honest. Peterson is unquestionably the better runner, but I think that Jones-Drew is the better back. Jones-Drew basically has no holes in his game and he does everything well, in addition to being a very good runner, he's also elite in blitz pickup and is a great receiving threat. Peterson, on the other hand, though he's one of the two or three best runners I've ever seen, is very poor in blitz pickup, has questionable hands as a receiver, has recently had fumbling issues (though, those are correctable), and has a running style that results in him taking a considerable amount of punishment as well as being a very big target in short yardage.

It's probably just a personality thing, but I'd rather have a back who's a 9/10 in everything you'd ask a back to do, than a back who's a 10/10 in one thing, a 6/10 in another thing, a 7/10 in a third thing, a 4/10 in another thing, etc.I don't know, Lurk. His 10/10 is more significant when most of the defenders are 9/10. I agree he could be in the top 3 all time on running skills. His one run last week had it all: Power, speed, elusiveness, and vision. It adds up to be something very difficult to stop. The Pack has enough receiving threats to worry about APs ability there.

Waldo
09-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Personally I'd take Chris Johnson.

Whereas I see AD as more on an offensive engine, I see Chris as the most electric big play threat behind center currently. We have the QB and passing game that I don't see a back like AD really helping like a back like Chris would. Chris would make our play action game lethal, I think that he gives DB's the heebee jeebees more than AD does, whereas AD scares the DL and LB's more than Chris does.

BallHawk
09-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Patrick Willis. Future HOF LB.

Partial
09-17-2009, 08:09 PM

It's probably just a personality thing, but I'd rather have a back who's a 9/10 in everything you'd ask a back to do, than a back who's a 10/10 in one thing, a 6/10 in another thing, a 7/10 in a third thing, a 4/10 in another thing, etc.

What is your source on blitz pickup? Like Sutton he's awfully small. He's my favorite player on my 2nd favorite team but he's not anywhere close to the best imo. I would much prefer Westbrook, Peterson, and Forte. Possibly a few more.

Partial
09-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Patrick Willis. Future HOF LB.

That's who I was thinking too.

get louder at lambeau
09-17-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd add Brett Favre because we need a good #3 QB.

Lurker64
09-17-2009, 08:15 PM
What is your source on blitz pickup? Like Sutton he's awfully small.

But unlike Sutton, MJD is a very, very physical player and his blocking technique is excellent.

My source? I've seen enough Jaguars games and somewhat regularly seen him making plays like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbCtjX_y0w).

Tyrone Bigguns
09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
It's a tossup tween Ruvell Martin and Money Morency.

With Ruvell you get a dominant run blocker and a guy that will take team chemistry from an 8 to a 10.

As for Money Morency...i don't think i need to explain this to anybody...his career speaks for itself.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Peterson

Based on need, maybe Joe Thomas

Gunakor
09-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Peterson

Based on need, maybe Joe Thomas

+1 for Joe Thomas. That'd be a tremendous addition.

RashanGary
09-17-2009, 08:44 PM
First thing that came to my mind was Joe Thomas. I wanted a star player at the position of greatest need. This isn't the draft or UFA where opportunity sometimes doesn't meet need. This is a dream world where you can take a superstar at whatever position you want.

Joe Thomas is a difference maker, a star. He's young. He's dominate.

Add him right now at RT (until next year when Cliffy is done) and this offense is unstoppable.

He's every bit as rare as a great QB, great RB, great WR or anything else. He's one of the top 3 OL in the entire NFL and there are 150 starting OL across the league. He's a rare player and will be around for many years. I take him over AP or anyone right now. Add him and you can envision 5 years with no true weak links on this OL. Add him and this offense is stable and consistent for years.

Bossman641
09-17-2009, 08:49 PM
It's a tossup tween Ruvell Martin and Money Morency.

With Ruvell you get a dominant run blocker and a guy that will take team chemistry from an 8 to a 10.

As for Money Morency...i don't think i need to explain this to anybody...his career speaks for itself.

Hahaha

RashanGary
09-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Anyone know who beatlejuice is on Howard Stern? I always thought Morency looked like Beatle Juice.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Anyone know who beatlejuice is on Howard Stern? I always thought Morency looked like Beatle Juice.

"who, me?"

Zool
09-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Ed Reed. I'm not sold on Nintendo or the Elephant Safety.