PDA

View Full Version : Color Suggestions for Painting a Room

Partial
07-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I have a room that I can paint when I return to school in the fall.

I have a ton of furniture that does not really match, so I am thinking about painting it. I would ideally like to achieve this color:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/36221_PE127296_S3.jpg

However, I don't think that is possible if what I have now is darker wood. So I was thinking about going with all black furniture. Pretty much its just a dresser and a book shelf.

My carpet is cream colored. I am looking for some really cool and color combinations that will match my furniture and make my room a really nice place to stay! Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Deputy Nutz
07-24-2006, 02:39 PM
You go to the university of Wisconsin Plattville, you don't have to worry about matching your furniture and wall colors.

But if you really want to, don't confuse us, do you wanna paint your room, or your furniture? Or Both?

SkinBasket
07-24-2006, 02:42 PM
http://rlhome.polo.com/rlhome/prod_images/RLH_8_SU19_v0.jpg

I'm in the process of painting my office shagbark suede. I don't know if you've seen or used a suede finish before, but it really makes a room inviting and sexy. It can be a little time consuming (2-4 hours to prime, 4-6 hours for each of two coats you need for the finish), and more expensive (50-60 a gallon), but if you're not going to be changing paint like a teen girl changes moods, then it's not a problem.

I think darker colors, if your room can accomodate, would make black furnature look nicer than a light color. Cream carpet + light walls + black furnature=1994 all over again.

Partial
07-24-2006, 02:43 PM
You go to the university of Wisconsin Plattville, you don't have to worry about matching your furniture and wall colors.

But if you really want to, don't confuse us, do you wanna paint your room, or your furniture? Or Both?

Both. The walls are literally falling apart so they need to be repainted so I figure do something cool with them. Furniture is cheap shit from goodwill that is all different colors.

Partial
07-24-2006, 03:06 PM
actually, is there a color of paint that looks similiar to a lighter, natural wood? I have a hunch painting any furniture a light brown would look weird, but I think lighter furniture would look better than dark

SkinBasket
07-24-2006, 03:09 PM
actually, is there a color of paint that looks similiar to a lighter, natural wood? I have a hunch painting any furniture a light brown would look weird, but I think lighter furniture would look better than dark

Im sure there's lots of colors of paint.

Partial
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
touche. I wonder if that would look like shit, though? Whatever, I feel like such a tool, I just don't want to live in a shit hole for the next 2 years!!

Deputy Nutz
07-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Partial you can't paint your furniture a wood color. They don't make it. you have to strip all the varnish, then re-stain, and then laquer

Or paint all your shit white. thats what I would do

Partial
07-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Partial you can't paint your furniture a wood color. They don't make it. you have to strip all the varnish, then re-stain, and then laquer

Or paint all your shit white. thats what I would do

I figured as much, that just seems like far more effort than its worth.

KYPack
07-24-2006, 03:29 PM
(SNIP)

I just don't want to live in a shit hole for the next 2 years!!

It's too late for second thoughts, Partial.

I don't know if you should rely too heavily on Nutz & Skin for re-decorating advice, either.

MJZiggy
07-24-2006, 03:30 PM
What you can do, is paint the furniture a cream color and then go to home depot or a paint store and pick up a graining tool. It is this funky little tool that if you roll it a little as you drag it along the surface makes an interesting wood-grain effect. Use a paint about 3 shades darker than the base color watered down about 25%. Play with it on a piece of cardboard first 'til you're comfortable with the results. As to the walls, if you go with black furniture, you can go with a midtone color unless the room gets a whole lot of light. If it is a bedroom, then you can go a little deeper in color. As black goes with everything, the color family is really up to you. It also depends on what else you have to put on the walls. It is sometimes a good idea to choose a minor color out of a painting or set of curtains and that will give you a workable pallette as well. Look at your upholstered furniture and everything else that will be going in there for help. It all has to work together.

Partial
07-24-2006, 03:45 PM
What you can do, is paint the furniture a cream color and then go to home depot or a paint store and pick up a graining tool. It is this funky little tool that if you roll it a little as you drag it along the surface makes an interesting wood-grain effect. Use a paint about 3 shades darker than the base color watered down about 25%. Play with it on a piece of cardboard first 'til you're comfortable with the results. As to the walls, if you go with black furniture, you can go with a midtone color unless the room gets a whole lot of light. If it is a bedroom, then you can go a little deeper in color. As black goes with everything, the color family is really up to you. It also depends on what else you have to put on the walls. It is sometimes a good idea to choose a minor color out of a painting or set of curtains and that will give you a workable pallette as well. Look at your upholstered furniture and everything else that will be going in there for help. It all has to work together.

thanks for the advice! That sounds kind of cool. It is a bedroom, about 12x12, and during the day it has direct sunlight coming in a good sized window. During the winter though I imagine it being pretty dark and relying on artifical lighting from like 2-3 sources

Deputy Nutz
07-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Partial lets be honest, you can afford any of that shit on your budget. You live in a shithole and you want to impress your girlfriend, and show her that you have matured. I can tell you what you can afford, and that is me. What you need to do is have me come in for consultation, and a for a small fee I will help you redecorate your cozy little shithole

Partial
07-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Partial lets be honest, you can afford any of that shit on your budget. You live in a shithole and you want to impress your girlfriend, and show her that you have matured. I can tell you what you can afford, and that is me. What you need to do is have me come in for consultation, and a for a small fee I will help you redecorate your cozy little shithole

Droopy Nutz interior decoration :lol:

Deputy Nutz
07-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Interior decorating for the absent minded male.

Scott Campbell
07-24-2006, 06:36 PM
I'd suggest a two tone - green and gold perhaps?

Iron Mike
07-24-2006, 07:50 PM
The walls are literally falling apart so they need to be repainted so I figure do something cool with them.

If the walls ARE falling apart, then they need more help than repainting.

Some of the ideas presented here are not what I would suggest a novice attempt.

Color washing is the easiest to do. But it will look like hell if the wall also looks like hell to start with.

If you need to re-do the wall, I can tell you how to do "skip trowel" with a color wash that will end up looking like aged plaster. The end result is entirely worth the effort and the technique is not too difficult.

<==ex-husband of a decorative painter :mrgreen:

SkinBasket
07-24-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't know if you should rely too heavily on Nutz & Skin for re-decorating advice, either.

I'm gonna decorate your nutsack with my foot you southern fried hamball.

SkinBasket
07-24-2006, 07:53 PM
If you need to re-do the wall, I can tell you how to do "skip trowel" with a color wash that will end up looking like aged plaster. The end result is entirely worth the effort and the technique is not too difficult.

Or just throw that mud in a hopper and shoot it everywhere, then knock it down with a concrete stamp. Could get messy, but its easy and fun.

Iron Mike
07-24-2006, 09:00 PM

Or just throw that mud in a hopper and shoot it everywhere, then knock it down with a concrete stamp. Could get messy, but its easy and fun.

Yeah, I'd like to see what the carpeting looks like after that!!!! I did a couple of glitter ceilings--the effect is kewl, but you wind up vacuuming glitter off of the floor for about 9 months afterwards! :razz:

KYPack
07-25-2006, 10:09 AM

I'm gonna decorate your nutsack with my foot you southern fried hamball.

Hamball? Ya mean chicken ball, don't ya?

I couldn't help but laugh at the image of you and Nutz offering Partial advice on decorating his apartment.

I yield, you "win", Skin.

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 10:24 AM
This thread has real potential to go out and bring in some OFFICIAL Red Green advice. hahahaha

He's the man when it comes to fixing up - ing. :mrgreen:

SkinBasket
07-25-2006, 02:26 PM

Yipee! I've never won anything in my life. This is a real honor.

BTW, I hope you in no way took my threat of virtual violence to heart. I love to eat KFC and would be sad if the colonel was angry at me.

KYPack
07-25-2006, 03:23 PM

Yipee! I've never won anything in my life. This is a real honor.

BTW, I hope you in no way took my threat of virtual violence to heart. I love to eat KFC and would be sad if the colonel was angry at me.

We're cool Skin.

I've laughed at more of your posts than any other poster.

You are sick, but I like that in a man.

Help the kid with his room.