PDA

View Full Version : OT: Must read - GQ

Tyrone Bigguns
09-18-2009, 08:29 PM
In this month's GQ magazine there is a very good article on dementia, brain injuries, and the NFL.

There is some pretty strong evidence about the repeated head trauma and the dementia/depression that follows (16 cases so far: think Webster, Waters, McHale, Long, Strelzcyk (sp?), etc.).

There is some debate about the role roids play in this as well, but what is most shocking is the reaction from the NFL itself...and the shameful treatment of former players. Webster's treatment by the NFL was sickening.

Hopefully, some rats will pick it up or read it, and we can discuss.

mraynrand
09-18-2009, 08:44 PM
link?

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_10980

McHale?

mraynrand
09-18-2009, 08:54 PM
interesting read. The only solution is to stop playing football, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-18-2009, 09:07 PM
interesting read. The only solution is to stop playing football, and I'm not being sarcastic.

good job on the link, i didn't think they would put up content from this month already.

McHale: lineman for TB.

Solution: Not according to Omalu, he thinks we can solve this thru medication.

boiga
09-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Another issue are that there is no standardization for helmets in the league. There are newer technologies that help protect against concussions, but they are bulkier and heavier than the most common helmets now. Peyton Manning wears one for his own protection and it makes him look like a spaceman.

http://www.colts.com/images/news_photos/18_manning%5C2009_0913_jax_836.jpg

Many younger players don't like the feel of the better insulated helmets or they think it'll slow them down, so they won't wear them. They would increase the lifespan of your average player a good deal though.

Edit: Here's a link (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112566453) to the npr transcript talking about the need for new helmets in the NFL and MLB.

Lurker64
09-18-2009, 09:33 PM

I'm not sure Omalu necessarily thinks we can solve it through medication, but we can almost certainly help. His analogy was to people who take aspirin to prevent heart attacks. Absolutely that helps, but there are still plenty of people who take preventative aspirin who still succumb to heart disease.

The interesting angle is what Davies suggests, that steroids or other PEDs have a causal role in this. Since there are plenty of guys who suffer head trauma in other professions who don't appear to succumb to this malady. Though, by the same token, there are probably plenty of steroid abusers outside of football that don't seem to develop the same problems.

So, like most complicated scientific issues, it's probably best explained by a variety of causes, probably involving trauma, chemicals, and genetics.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Another issue are that there is no standardization for helmets in the league. There are newer technologies that help protect against concussions, but they are bulkier and heavier than the most common helmets now. Peyton Manning wears one for his own protection and it makes him look like a spaceman.

http://www.colts.com/images/news_photos/18_manning%5C2009_0913_jax_836.jpg

Many younger players don't like the feel of the better insulated helmets or they think it'll slow them down, so they won't wear them. They would increase the lifespan of your average player a good deal though.

Edit: Here's a link (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112566453) to the npr transcript talking about the need for new helmets in the NFL and MLB.

If you read the article, helmets won't solve anything.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2009, 03:52 AM

I'm not sure Omalu necessarily thinks we can solve it through medication, but we can almost certainly help. His analogy was to people who take aspirin to prevent heart attacks. Absolutely that helps, but there are still plenty of people who take preventative aspirin who still succumb to heart disease.

The interesting angle is what Davies suggests, that steroids or other PEDs have a causal role in this. Since there are plenty of guys who suffer head trauma in other professions who don't appear to succumb to this malady. Though, by the same token, there are probably plenty of steroid abusers outside of football that don't seem to develop the same problems.

So, like most complicated scientific issues, it's probably best explained by a variety of causes, probably involving trauma, chemicals, and genetics.

Omalu definitely thinks it can be solved by meds. You need to reread.

Omalu has set his sights on curing CTE. And why not? “You pop a pill before you play, a medicine that prevents the buildup of tau,” he says. “Like you take an aspirin to prevent heart disease.”

Which plenty of others in sports....we see this in boxing. What specifically are you talking about.

Roids: Yes, there may be a link, but then, what does that tell us about the NFL? Hmm, testing program ain't as good as they claim.[/b]

Patler
09-19-2009, 08:23 AM
In the autopsy room, Omalu snapped on his gloves and approached the slab. He noted that Mike Webster’s body was sixty-nine inches long and weighed 244 pounds.

Webster was 5' 9"?

swede
09-19-2009, 10:27 AM
In the autopsy room, Omalu snapped on his gloves and approached the slab. He noted that Mike Webster’s body was sixty-nine inches long and weighed 244 pounds.

Webster was 5' 9"?

Patler, honestly, you are like Rainman.

Numbers that slip by me like so much static twirl in your brain and clatter around like a paper clip in a vaccuum cleaner when they don't align.

Are you the first one to spot the piece of beach glass among the pebbles?

Did your children find that a casual re-telling of one innocent story might contain a key piece of information that you would immediately find to be inconsistent with a prior untruthful story of theirs from weeks before?

It must be a blessing and a curse, such a mind. A useful tool with commercial value, yet unable to engage in casual conversations without hearing the logical and mathematical inconsistencies of your fellow humans as they blather along good-naturedly.

(I only bring it up because you are quite a gentleman, and you never seem to correct out of a need to be right or better than the other guy. It must simply be deep-seated desire to be precise; if one says a body is 69 inches long one must mean 5' 9" and such a number is outside normal parameters and requires correcting or explaining.)

Tarlam!
09-19-2009, 11:52 AM
It must be a blessing and a curse, such a mind. A useful tool with commercial value, yet unable to engage in casual conversations without hearing the logical and mathematical inconsistencies of your fellow humans as they blather along good-naturedly.

His real identity is quite obviously Leonard Nimoy.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Webster was 5' 9"?

Patler,

I read that as well...and actually went thru the math.....like, 5 x 12 plus 9...several times, thinking, my math skills have really fallen apart.

Iron mike was listed usually at six one.

Assuming a bit of shrinkage, it wouldn't surprise me to find out he was really five elevenish (not like NFL has ever inflated #s b4 : :roll:) before the shrink that we all undergo.

Scott Campbell
09-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Assuming a bit of shrinkage..................

Speak for yourself.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Assuming a bit of shrinkage..................

Speak for yourself.

I wouldn't be caught dead speaking for you. :lol:

Patler
09-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Numbers that slip by me like so much static twirl in your brain and clatter around like a paper clip in a vaccuum cleaner when they don't align.

....... (edited by Patler for brevity)

(I only bring it up because you are quite a gentleman, and you never seem to correct out of a need to be right or better than the other guy. It must simply be deep-seated desire to be precise; if one says a body is 69 inches long one must mean 5' 9" and such a number is outside normal parameters and requires correcting or explaining.)

You pretty much hit it on the head, Swede. I really like the "paper clip in a vacuum cleaner" comparison! :lol: :lol:

A couple years ago I explained my background a little on here, things I did with numbers as a youth, (sometime to win drinks at bars, etc. :oops: ) Inconsistencies in numbers sort of leap off a page for me, sort of like misspellings do for some other people. For this (and other things) I am sometimes described as "anal". :(

Patler
09-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Patler,

I read that as well...and actually went thru the math.....like, 5 x 12 plus 9...several times, thinking, my math skills have really fallen apart.

Assuming a bit of shrinkage, it wouldn't surprise me to find out he was really five elevenish (not like NFL has ever inflated #s b4 : :roll:) before the shrink that we all undergo.

Ya, I thought about the "roster enhancement" possibility and shortening with age too. But man, 5'9" is still hard to believe. That's bordering on being short!

MJZiggy
09-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Patler,

Ya, I thought about the "roster enhancement" possibility and shortening with age too. But man, 5'9" is still hard to believe. That's bordering on being short!

Ummm....'scuse me. Not from where I stand...

Scott Campbell
09-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Patler,

Spill it Zig. What's the tape measure say?

MJZiggy
09-19-2009, 05:55 PM
5 foot. Everyone knows I define the word petite.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Patler,

Ty doesn't like being called short, Ty calls it being average...whereas those taller are borderline circus freaks.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2009, 06:21 PM
5 foot. Everyone knows I define the word petite.

Dang. You are so the girl for me. Ty likes em petite. Ty's ex was five three, buck oh 5....i know, a bit heavy...but, she was workin on it.

Patler
09-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Patler,

I have a daughter your height. Yup, she's short too! But, so is her father, for an adult male. Yet, I have a 6'2" son.

Patler
09-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Patler,

Ty doesn't like being called short, Ty calls it being average...whereas those taller are borderline circus freaks.

Don't worry Ty, I called myself short, too. Doesn't bother me a bit.

KYPack
09-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Webster was always listed at 6'1".

For him to shrink 4 inches like that is scary.

The NFL should have intervened and got Mike serious medical help.

I hope the 5'9" was just an error or something.

mraynrand
09-19-2009, 11:17 PM

Webster was 5' 9"?

Patler, honestly, you are like Rainman.

Are you the first one to spot the piece of beach glass among the pebbles?

Did your children find that a casual re-telling of one innocent story might contain a key piece of information that you would immediately find to be inconsistent with a prior untruthful story of theirs from weeks before?

Patler would be a master at Schaffkopf.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Webster was always listed at 6'1".

For him to shrink 4 inches like that is scary.

The NFL should have intervened and got Mike serious medical help.

I hope the 5'9" was just an error or something.

Listed is the key word. Obviously not truthful.

Intervened: Did you read the article. Then NFL fought tooth n nail to not help him. His family shoulda got way more than 1.5 mill from the NFL.

swede
09-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Patler would be a master at Schaffkopf.

Yeah he would.

Growing up in Appleton I played a lot of Sheepshead, but when I met my wife's family I found it being played at another level among her uncles and cousins.

If I hesitated for a moment after a few hands had been played Uncle Frank would say "Play your Queen of Hearts" or something similar, and he was always right about what I was holding. Every card in the game Of Sheepshead has its role in the game; by paying attention to who followed suit, who failed or shmeared, and which cards had already been played, players like Frank pretty much know who has what by the antepenultimate trick.

Now maybe I could do that if I played slowly and thought about it, but her family plays at such a speed that a lead is tossed out and played on twice before a won trick has been scraped off the table.

Compared to Uncle Frank I played Sheepshead so slowly I'm sure he wondered if perhaps I had suffered a football concussion or two.

SnakeLH2006
09-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Word has it that a young white dude from Wisconsin (that is better than EVERYONE and moved to Scottsdale) figured out that Tyrone Biggum's is the greatest at LIFE EVER.

That dude just knows EVERYTHING and is known as the PackerJESUS. When I say Ty you just shut the fuck up and say Jesus...cuz he is SMARTER than EVERYONE.

TY....JESUS.

Snake and Chuck Norris shut the fuck up and just fucking bow.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Word has it that a young white dude from Wisconsin (that is better than EVERYONE and moved to Scottsdale) figured out that Tyrone Biggum's is the greatest at LIFE EVER.

That dude just knows EVERYTHING and is known as the PackerJESUS. When I say Ty you just shut the fuck up and say Jesus...cuz he is SMARTER than EVERYONE.

TY....JESUS.

Snake and Chuck Norris shut the fuck up and just fucking bow.

What the fuck is your problem. You arent' even being addressed in this thread about concussions and dementia.

go back to doing whatever is is you do...getting partial laid, fucking girls atm, complaining about shaved beavers, being the best at vid games, fighting, talking shit, telling us repeatedly about your rap mp3s/youtube channel, your selling cars, and now your expertise in restaurants...in which you can't even accurately respond to Tarlams question, etc.

Man, you are making mad's point.

mraynrand
11-01-2015, 12:07 PM
LOL