PDA

View Full Version : Bush might skip 2006 season. Is this even possible?

BallHawk
07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Former Heisman Trophy winnner and No. 2 overall draft pick Reggie Bush is considering sitting out his rookie season and re-entering the 2007 draft because of his contract squabbles with the New Orleans Saints, Yahoo! reported Saturday, citing NFL sources.

"No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now," the source told Yahoo!. "The Saints made it clear what they were willing to do before and now we'll see if they're going to get there."

Bush is scheduled to report to training camp Thursday in Jackson, Miss. Yahoo! said that talks between the parties have been nearly non-existent, according to sources.

Deputy Nutz
07-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Bo Jackson did it when Tampa Bay took him #1 overall, after he specifically told them he would never play for them, and that he would choose baseball instead.

Apparently they brought him in for a routine physical, and asured him that he was in no violation of the NCAA. Well when he got back to Auburn and returned to the Baseball diamond his coach told him he broke a rule and his baseball career at Auburn was finished.

He re-entered the draft a year or two later and was taken in the 5th round by the Raiders

Joemailman
07-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Wasn't there speculation that Bush was asking for an unheard-of contract, which was why Houston traded the pick? This threat is likely just posturing, but if the 2 sides end up talking to the press more than to each other, that's not a good sign.

Tony Oday
07-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Lets talk him into a contract here and trade next years #1 to N.O. for him :)

Fosco33
07-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Irony would be that because the Packers beat the Seahawks (and thus we didn't finish w/ the 2nd worst record), we didn't get Bush - let's say we have another stellar year and end up with him anyways....

I wonder if that's why the Saints are keeping Michael Bennett....

What sort of compensation would the league give the Saints if he pulls this stunt? I mean, man - they could've had almost anyone (less Williams) in the draft.

"Human sacrafice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

I predict its a ploy - he'll miss camp but will sign right before the season starts. Any takers???

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2006, 08:04 PM
he could take Ricky William's roster spot in CFL.

cheesner
07-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Wasn't there speculation that Bush was asking for an unheard-of contract, which was why Houston traded the pick? This threat is likely just posturing, but if the 2 sides end up talking to the press more than to each other, that's not a good sign.

Houston traded the pick? I missed that.

Bush won't do this. He would not go any higher next year, I think he would drop out of the top ten. He would definitely get less of an offer next year, plus, he missed out on a year's wages.

Jimx29
07-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Yet another classless Bush

MJZiggy
07-24-2006, 08:31 PM

Houston traded the pick? I missed that.

Bush won't do this. He would not go any higher next year, I think he would drop out of the top ten. He would definitely get less of an offer next year, plus, he missed out on a year's wages.

Nobody said these kids were brainy. Welcome to the forum.

Rastak
07-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Yet another classless Bush

I always thought Jane Fonda was a classless bush. Maybe you meant former Twin Randy Bush.....

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Bush talks 'proceeding on a normal course'
But Saints GM, Bush's agent mum about contract details

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

By Mike Triplett

The Saints' contract talks with tailback Reggie Bush are "proceeding on a normal course," according to General Manager Mickey Loomis.

But, with only two of the NFL's 32 first-round draft picks having signed contracts, the "normal course" almost certainly will take the negotiations into next week, if not longer.

Neither Loomis nor Bush's agent, Joel Segal, would comment on details of the negotiations. But history and common sense dictate that Bush won't be in Jackson, Miss., when the Saints report for training camp Thursday evening.

Last year, seven first-round draft picks had agreed to contracts heading into the first full weekend of NFL training camps. The top five picks in the draft signed on July 26, Aug. 15, Aug. 11, Aug. 29 and July 29, respectively.

A report on Yahoo.com last week cited a league source as saying Bush has toyed with the idea of sitting out the entire season if his contract demands are not met, but that scenario seems unlikely.

Bush, who has already secured several million dollars in national endorsement deals, could risk damaging his popularity if he skips the entire season. And he has already been putting down roots in New Orleans, both through his charity work and the purchase of a $1.8 million riverfront condo downtown.

Still, the Saints certainly won't get off cheaply. Bush was almost universally rated as the No. 1 prospect in April's draft before the Houston Texans made the surprising decision to take defensive end Mario Williams instead. So Bush likely will seek a deal that approaches Williams' six-year, $54 million contract, with a reported $26.5 million in guaranteed money over the first two years.

The Saints have agreed to contracts with four of their eight draft picks so far. They still need to work out deals with Bush, second-round pick Roman Harper, fourth-rounder Jahri Evans and sixth-rounder Mike Hass.

Mike Triplett can be reached at mtriplett@timespicayune.com or at (504) 826-3405.

swede
07-25-2006, 12:21 PM
New Orleans the city, New Orleans the team, Bush the player--they all deserve each other. I'm glad that's not our problem.

RashanGary
07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
The Texans look pretty smart now don't they. Bush is a head case. I'm sure this greed was a factor. Mario is an animal. He's going to have to work hard, but he looks like a worker to me.

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
New Orleans the city, New Orleans the team, Bush the player--they all deserve each other. I'm glad that's not our problem.

No kidding - and still some people want him to come to Green Bay.

No Thanks - Thank You.

Serious concerns there. :mrgreen:

Fosco33
07-25-2006, 12:57 PM

No Thanks - Thank You.

I'd take him in a second - easily. It could solve issues at RB, WR, Kick/Punt Returner that GB currently has.

Since I live in LA, I've watched a lot of Bush via USC. If you watched the ESPY award show, check out his return on the 'best play' reel - Amazing!

Of course he wants a lot of cash, he's been more hyped than many, many players in recent history.

I can't wait to see Hawk tackle Bush in week 2 :lol:

BallHawk
07-25-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm also looking forward to Hawk crusing Vernon Davis in week 14.

Fosco33
07-25-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm also looking forward to Hawk crusing Vernon Davis in week 14.

I'll see that one live :wink:

I hope I can hear bones crunching or see a bloody nose!

Deputy Nutz
07-25-2006, 03:40 PM
The Texans look pretty smart now don't they. Bush is a head case. I'm sure this greed was a factor. Mario is an animal. He's going to have to work hard, but he looks like a worker to me.

Why is a he a head case? He was by far the best college football player last season, and was the Heisman trophy winner. He is most likely the most marketable player out of the 2006 draft, and by and far the most athletic player that has come into the NFL since Dion Sanders. Head case, no. Brotha just wants to get paid, and he is going at it aggressively.

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 04:55 PM

No Thanks - Thank You.

I'd take him in a second - easily. It could solve issues at RB, WR, Kick/Punt Returner that GB currently has.

Since I live in LA, I've watched a lot of Bush via USC. If you watched the ESPY award show, check out his return on the 'best play' reel - Amazing!

Of course he wants a lot of cash, he's been more hyped than many, many players in recent history.

I can't wait to see Hawk tackle Bush in week 2 :lol:

No doubt about his talent or versatility and excitement value, but my Oh my he's going to cost Big Time Fosco33.

Ever watched highlight film of OUR Rookie Will Blackmon? Go to the 2006 Colledge draft on Yahoo sports.

I see alot of Reggie Bush in him. Will Blackmon is going to be a winner for us.

BallHawk
07-25-2006, 05:13 PM
I agree, I look forward to seeing "Big Willie" play.