PDA

View Full Version : packers in 2003 (almost in nfc championship) vs now...

packers11
07-24-2006, 04:56 PM
The Packers in 2003 were on the road to the superbowl if it wasn't for some bad plays in the eagles game (haunting me to this day).... In 2003 the roster was worse in my opinion than in 2006 (the season we were going in)... The only position that was a lot stronger in 2003 was the offensive line which helped Ahman Green be the beast he once was.....
We have greatly improved in other areas such as lb crew (hawk,barnett) and in cornerback (woodson,harris)...
If you can recall walker was the 3rd string reciever and did not play as big as a role like in 2004.. It was Driver, Fergy, then Walker (I think)......

Here is the point to this whole topic : If the 2006 team is better than the 2003 team, than why can we expect a bad season??? Why aren't we looking into being a deep playoff bound team???
:cool:
Thoughts?? :?:

Fosco33
07-24-2006, 05:06 PM
9-7, wildcard birth; early exit...

Here's hoping that's enough to make Brett think about one last ride in 07-08!

Tony Oday
07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
because we like to be underdogs ;)

But really its because we had such a bad running game last year. Brett is at his best when our RBs can gain 100 yards a game.

BallHawk
07-24-2006, 05:11 PM
7 yes and 0 no. We're drinking the kool-aid and LOVING IT!

Fosco33
07-24-2006, 05:19 PM

I like mine w/ Vodka - and not that cheap shit - top shelf baby!

KYPack
07-24-2006, 05:53 PM

I like mine w/ Vodka - and not that cheap shit - top shelf baby!

Absolutely!

Maybe Grey Goosely!

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2006, 06:09 PM
"The only position that was a lot stronger in 2003 was the offensive line which helped Ahman Green be the beast he once was....."

Umm... Favre was better then. Green was better then. Henderson was better then. We have the same personnel, but age has affected those guys. The OL was significantly better then--instead of three Pro Bowl caliber players (Rivera and Wahle were at that level, and Flanagan was close), we have Wells and two rookies. We had Sharper, McKenzie, and Harris in the secondary--and I'd take them over what we have now. Our special teams were much better in 2003. In fact, the only position we are better at is LB, probably TE, and possibly DT.

Bretsky
07-24-2006, 06:14 PM
d@mmit Harvey, you beat my to all my punch lines.....just like picking up Teddy Bruschi last year for the title game :wink:

So I'll just say............what Harvey said.

Tony Oday
07-24-2006, 06:15 PM
"The only position that was a lot stronger in 2003 was the offensive line which helped Ahman Green be the beast he once was....."

Umm... Favre was better then. Green was better then. Henderson was better then. We have the same personnel, but age has affected those guys. The OL was significantly better then--instead of three Pro Bowl caliber players (Rivera and Wahle were at that level, and Flanagan was close), we have Wells and two rookies. We had Sharper, McKenzie, and Harris in the secondary--and I'd take them over what we have now. Our special teams were much better in 2003. In fact, the only position we are better at is LB, probably TE, and possibly DT.

Sharper, McKEnzie and Harris?? I would take our secondary of today over these guys any day of the week. Woodson is as good or better than McKEnzie and Sharper is in just as many highlight films for his team and the opponents.

Typical play for Sharper and what reminds me of his play is the Jimmy Smith TD against the Packers in 2004. Smith makes a double move fakes to the inside and Sharper bites thus taking away the over coverage from Harris and Harris having to be in a foot race with him which he lost.

Sharper is a glory hound that takes too many chances.

The Oline was much better than then now. FB I think are a wash. Hendo is showing no signs of aging. QB well Favre had one bad year you dont think he can rebound? I think our TE depth is better now aswell.

hurleyfan
07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
. In fact, the only position we are better at is LB, probably TE, and possibly DT.[/quote]
As much as I'd love to enjoy the kool-aid, I'd have to agree with Harv, and even that (we are better at LB)is a question mark..

Who's to say Hawke will be an impact player(he certainly has all the markings) but he is a rookie.. Same can be said about Hodge.

I would love to see the Pack make the playoffs and run the table but with all the question marks (no receiver to take the pressure off Driver, yeah Fergy is going to be the "man", a suspect OL, Green fully healthy then who?)

8 - 8 miss the tournament, but Favre goes out with a bang!

Joemailman
07-24-2006, 06:51 PM
I think we're a better defensive team than 2003, but we're not close offensively. Best case scenario will be 9-7, which probably would mean just missing the playoffs.

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2006, 07:44 PM
8-8 or 9-7 would be real achievements. We have a real winner in McCarthy if he can pull that off.

hurleyfan
07-24-2006, 07:50 PM
8-8 or 9-7 would be real achievements. We have a real winner in McCarthy if he can pull that off.

HH, I surely hope MM3 fills your thoughts! What's the chance he is Bill Walsh's "illigitimate child"? We'll take the genes!

woodbuck27
07-24-2006, 10:10 PM

Now there is a REALITY Post ! LOL

"The facts - just the facts mame." Joe Friday

MadtownPacker
07-24-2006, 11:00 PM
If they win the first game against the bears they will make it. Likely as the division champ with a 8-8 or 9-7 record.

SD GB fan
07-24-2006, 11:55 PM
u say "the only position that was better was O-line" as if its an easy thing to overlook. thats wat TT did last year and the pack was hurting. even w/o the injuries 8-8 at best last year with that poor line. it all starts at the o-line. given a great o-line, ron dayne can rush 100 yards every game. given a great o-line, david carr can endure a game w/o a sack. the QB or RB, given the time and opportunity can do something big. that time is given by the line. edge is a great back but if he cant make it across the LOS in arizona, he is screwed. o-line may hafta work as a "unit" and dun make the headlines like WR, QB, RB, but going from rivera and wahle to two rookies is huge.

so i say GB turns it on 2nd half of season but miss playoffs at 7-9