PDA

View Full Version : Post game chat with Cleft Crusty (Bengals)

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Clefty suspects there wlll be some mighty angry Packer fans out there who just discovered their team isn't very good. Clefty will still answer all your questions to the best of Clefty's questionable ability. Fire away.

BallHawk
09-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Do you think that we can compete with the Lions for last place in the division or are they out of our reach?

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Do you think that we can compete with the Lions for last place in the division or are they out of our reach?

Sure - the Packers can compete for that. Packers typically struggle in Detroit, so they could lose that game right there. The Packers have a lot of worries, but they probably are not quite so bad as they looked today.

Bretsky
09-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Good Afternoon Cleft

17 years ago Brett Favre led the Packers back to a great comeback victory against the Bengals. He's started evey game since

Today this squad, against what appeared to be another less than stellar Bengals squad, seemed to collectively piss away multiple opportunities to tie the Favre led Vikings for the division lead.

In the preseason this team looked like a playoff caliber squad.

Were we all drinking too much spiked kook aid or was today a fluke ?

Gunakor
09-20-2009, 03:42 PM
John Runyan's still looking for work, right? What are the odds he's a Packer by Tuesday afternoon's practice?

retailguy
09-20-2009, 03:42 PM
what is the biggest problem? Defense or OL? Or Special Teams? I can't decide

sheepshead
09-20-2009, 03:45 PM

Right now. Its our head coach.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Good Afternoon Cleft

17 years ago Brett Favre led the Packers back to a great comeback victory against the Bengals. He's started evey game since

Today this squad, against what appeared to be another less than stellar Bengals squad, seemed to collectively piss away multiple opportunities to tie the Favre led Vikings for the division lead.

In the preseason this team looked like a playoff caliber squad.

Were we all drinking too much spiked kook aid or was today a fluke ?

I don't think today was a fluke. What you don't know is how good Cincy is. Packer fans should hope that Cincy is a good team. What is worrisome is what they exposed as weaknesses in the Packers.

red
09-20-2009, 03:49 PM
do we have a single o-lineman that actually looks like he can play o-line in the nfl?

is there any position colledge IS good at

what do we do at safety if we lose collins for any amount of time? and please don't respond with the names jarret or bush

Fosco33
How many beers does it take to forget a game like this?

And also - why is MM so insistent on not changing strategy real-time (when Oline was shifting)? Sure he let Arod rollout out to the right 20 yards deep and kept some TEs in there about half the time... but Odom just made a pretty exclusive list for most sacks/game.

BallHawk
Will we be seeing an increase in the sale of knee braces to heal the injuries caused by all the knee-jerk reactions we're seeing?

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 03:51 PM

All of the above. The key is the trenches. THe Packers got whipped in the trenches, from the very first Cincy snap on Offense when the D line was blown collectively 4 yards backwards off the ball. The Packers couldn't run the ball, and Cincy could. Pass pro? If the Packers had it, Clefty missed it - but I was above the press box so it was like watching ants - ants that can't protect the quarterback.. I'm looking at the recording now.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Next we'll be seeing the "Fire McCarthy" posts. That's fresh. That's original. Was McCarthy on the field at Tackle? I might have missed that

denverYooper
09-20-2009, 03:55 PM
How crazy was it that we were still in a position to send the game into overtime?

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 03:55 PM
John Runyan's still looking for work, right? What are the odds he's a Packer by Tuesday afternoon's practice?

Clefty is available as well. I don't think I'll be getting a call either. If Runyan does show up, it would be total stop-gap - as a backup to Colledge in case the unthinkable happened. It depends on how long Clifton is out.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:01 PM
How many beers does it take to forget a game like this?

And also - why is MM so insistent on not changing strategy real-time (when Oline was shifting)? Sure he let Arod rollout out to the right 20 yards deep and kept some TEs in there about half the time... but Odom just made a pretty exclusive list for most sacks/game.

Clefty is paid to remember games, and given the number of functional brain cells still rattling around up there, it's a tough job.

McCarthy can't throw out the entire gameplan. Colledge has to block something. But, without a full review, Clefty thinks 4 of Odoms' 5 sacks were against a single block. Toss a little help out there!

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Will we be seeing an increase in the sale of knee braces to heal the injuries caused by all the knee-jerk reactions we're seeing?

Physician, heal thyself!

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:08 PM
do we have a single o-lineman that actually looks like he can play o-line in the nfl?

is there any position colledge IS good at

what do we do at safety if we lose collins for any amount of time? and please don't respond with the names jarret or bush

I didn't think Barbre was as bad as last week. Colledge was OK before the shift, and lukewarm after. Scott Wells was Scott Wells. He was OK in there, but didn't do anything special. Overall, the run blocking was poor.

Safety? Get used to Mr. Bush. The good news is that he can't get a false start penalty on defense.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:12 PM
How crazy was it that we were still in a position to send the game into overtime?

That's the NFL. Up by two scores, Cincy started playing a prevent, game clock running strategy. McCarthy's decision to kick the FG first was correct, but it should have happened without running the extra play. Those few seconds were critical.

OkayKyle
09-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Is Barnett expendable now? I heard his name called a couple times in the last two games combined. Has his injury slowed him down that much, or is his new position in this defense the cause?

OkayKyle
09-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I was surprised to see that Raji was inactive today. The D-line was blown off the ball play after play. How much is that contributed to a lack of rotation throughout the game?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Cleft. Ty is riding on a train the superbowl with thousands of fans. The packers lose a game and 75% of those fans get off the train. How much quicker does the train arrive at the superbowl.

Please solve for X. Work must be shown.

Fosco33
09-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Cleft. Ty is riding on a train the superbowl with thousands of fans. The packers lose a game and 75% of those fans get off the train. How much quicker does the train arrive at the superbowl.

http://www.hostpic.biz/uploads/a17a59f56a.jpg (http://www.hostpic.biz)

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:27 PM

That's math, right? Maybe algebra? Clefty never got past long division in grammar school. But I get your point. Too high after a win, too low after a loss. That's why Clefty doesn't care who wins or loses. It makes the games boring and pointless, but makes me the best reporter - at least the best reporter being paid under $578 per year.

P.S. trains are different than Bandwagons. Badwagons seem to go faster with more on board, they are heaviest at the Superbowl, and are rapidly emptied the first loss the following year. Plus, they play the Macarena on the loudspeaker.

retailguy
09-20-2009, 04:29 PM

That's math, right? Maybe algebra? Clefty never got past long division in grammar school. But I get your point. Too high after a win, too low after a loss. That's why Clefty doesn't care who wins or loses. It makes the games boring and pointless, but makes me the best reporter - at least the best reporter being paid under $578 per year.

P.S. trains are different than Bandwagons. Badwagons seem to go faster with more on board, they are heaviest at the Superbowl, and are rapidly emptied the first loss the following year. Plus, they play the Macarena on the loudspeaker.

what happens to the bandwagon after 4th & 26 or 3rd & 34?

the DC got fired after 4th and 26.... :shock:

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I was surprised to see that Raji was inactive today. The D-line was blown off the ball play after play. How much is that contributed to a lack of rotation throughout the game?

Jolly and Pickett rotated very effectively - rotated and backpedaled. They were dominated. Raji had better have been inactive due to lingering injury rather than a coaches' decision that another player was needed more elsewhere. If they still allowed Clefty into the press conference, I would ask McCarthy that question.

sheepshead
09-20-2009, 04:31 PM

Next we'll be seeing the "Fire McCarthy" posts. That's fresh. That's original. Was McCarthy on the field at Tackle? I might have missed that

Penalties, poor play calling. Guys heads in the game. I put those on the HC smart fucking ass.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:33 PM

IS this just a subtle "Fire Capers!" post? That was a game changing play, as was the Grant fumble.

MOBB DEEP
09-20-2009, 04:35 PM

HILARIOUS

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:36 PM

Penalties, poor play calling. Guys heads in the game. I put those on the HC smart fucking ass.

So I take it that you assume it's a poor play call when the player makes a physical mistake. Or you have some super-human capacity to gauge whether a player's head is "in the game?" You have unique talents. Perhaps you should be an NFL coach.

Fosco33
09-20-2009, 04:42 PM
What's the main reason for the imbalance of play calls (39 pass, 18 run)?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Cleft,

We all read numerous times about an adjustment period to the 3-4, and there were many discussions. Yet, we clearly dominated a strong offensive machine like the Bears. Is Capers just incompetent...or is a case of bad reporting.

Sincerely,
Ty

retailguy
09-20-2009, 04:44 PM

IS this just a subtle "Fire Capers!" post? That was a game changing play, as was the Grant fumble.

nah, i don't want him fired but happy the tarnish is off the star a bit. there's work to be done there...

imscott72
09-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Well I'm certainly not Cleft, but I'd say being behind and not being able to run the ball all day might have something to do with slinging the ball all over the place.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:49 PM

They couldn't run the ball effectively. Come to think of it, they couldn't pass effectively either. The Packers had just one sustained scoring drive before the game was over.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Cleft,

We all read numerous times about an adjustment period to the 3-4, and there were many discussions. Yet, we clearly dominated a strong offensive machine like the Bears. Is Capers just incompetent...or is a case of bad reporting.

Sincerely,
Ty

I think other teams have already adjusted to the Packer's 3-4. The key is to be able to run against the 3-4. Then they can't pin back their ears and mix up pass rushes and blitzes. That's what the Bengals did.

For a little foreshadowing, consider this: The Packers weaknesses are run defense and their offensive line. The Vikings strengths are their O-line/running the ball and their defensive line. The Vikings D line is much better than Cincy's. I think you can see the writing on the wall for two weeks from tomorrow - The Packers are going to get destroyed in Minnesota.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 04:55 PM

nah, i don't want him fired but happy the tarnish is off the star a bit. there's work to be done there...

The Packers had better hope Raji is healthy and very good - as soon as possible - otherwise any team with a decent O-line will the the ball right up the gut.

imscott72
09-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Cleft,

Sincerely,
Ty

I think you can see the writing on the wall for two weeks from tomorrow - The Packers are going to get destroyed in Minnesota.

Hard to disagree with this. I can't imagine our line problems getting solved in two weeks. As the Big Unit would say, "it is what it is". Can't change all the personnel so you gotta go with em and it's not good.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 05:05 PM

It's a strange Packer fan that is " happy the tarnish is off the star a bit." If I take what you wrote correctly, you want a more realistic appraisal of Capers and the D. That's fine. Clefty is all about finding truth in the hyperbole of the modern NFL - the same modern NFL that has a 24/7 channel that essentially kisses the NFL's large hairy ass. But even defenses with weaknesses in personnel can do great things if the run a god scheme very well. I probably agree with your underlying point that the Packer personnel and/or the coordinator might not be as good as hyped, but I can't understand why a Packer fan would be happy having that realization made apparent by a bad loss.

retailguy
09-20-2009, 05:55 PM
It's a strange Packer fan that is " happy the tarnish is off the star a bit." If I take what you wrote correctly, you want a more realistic appraisal of Capers and the D. That's fine. Clefty is all about finding truth in the hyperbole of the modern NFL - the same modern NFL that has a 24/7 channel that essentially kisses the NFL's large hairy ass. But even defenses with weaknesses in personnel can do great things if the run a god scheme very well. I probably agree with your underlying point that the Packer personnel and/or the coordinator might not be as good as hyped, but I can't understand why a Packer fan would be happy having that realization made apparent by a bad loss.

Simple. The first step towards fixing a problem is realizing that you've got one. I'd rather have that be obvious in Week 2 instead of Week 13.

They've got to do a better job at matching the D for the opponent they are facing. Maybe more 4-3 alignments?

for the last several years, they have had a rough time getting penetration with the front 4 or 3 or whatever. That problem is consistent, even with the scheme change. Until they figure that one out, they'll struggle.

This year, we took the best guy we had at getting pressure and made him an OLB... Yeah, he's done OK, but if he was terrific and we made him "OK" how have we improved?

We've got a ways to go on the Defense, and I'm glad that the "performance" today will make some of the coaches take a hard look at what went wrong while there is still time to fix it.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 06:22 PM
We've got a ways to go on the Defense, and I'm glad that the "performance" today will make some of the coaches take a hard look at what went wrong while there is still time to fix it.

I'm certain the coaches were living in a hyped dream before today. just as I'm sure that this loss will 'make some of the coaches take a hard look.' As though they don't take a hard look every 16 hours of the days they work. They got exposed in the run game. There's your hard look. Perhaps some fans had some sugar-coated view of their personnel, but to think that the coaches were buying into the hype is absurd. To suggest that a loss will make them take some sort of special hard look is equally absurd. They look at what they do right and wrong every game. A loss is a setback for the team. Crusty doesn't care, because losses make for controversy and more juicy reporting, but a Packer fan being glad for a loss is puzzling even to Crusty, who takes all sorts of weird questions from fans.

red
09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
cleft, after digesting todays game i've decided to cut one of my ears off out of frustration

which one should i choose?

retailguy
09-20-2009, 06:29 PM

I'm certain the coaches were living in a hyped dream before today. just as I'm sure that this loss will 'make some of the coaches take a hard look.' As though they don't take a hard look every 16 hours of the days they work. They got exposed in the run game. There's your hard look. Perhaps some fans had some sugar-coated view of their personnel, but to think that the coaches were buying into the hype is absurd. To suggest that a loss will make them take some sort of special hard look is equally absurd. They look at what they do right and wrong every game. A loss is a setback for the team. Crusty doesn't care, because losses make for controversy and more juicy reporting, but a Packer fan being glad for a loss is puzzling even to Crusty, who takes all sorts of weird questions from fans.

the game plan did not indicate to me that at all. but hey, you're the "all wise one". we shall see.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 06:31 PM

the game plan did not indicate to me that at all. but hey, you're the "all wise one". we shall see.

I see, you know the game plan now too. Please enlighten the rest of us what the plan was. We'd like to know, especially when you have that exclusive inside info. The players and coaches don't talk to Crusty any more.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 06:33 PM
cleft, after digesting todays game i've decided to cut one of my ears off out of frustration

which one should i choose?

Save your ears - at some point you may need them to barter for something important, like a washing machine or a case of beer.

retailguy
09-20-2009, 06:35 PM

I see, you know the game plan now too. Please enlighten the rest of us what the plan was. We'd like to know, especially when you have that exclusive inside info. The players and coaches don't talk to Crusty any more.

they don't talk to you but somehow you knew they weren't buying the hype?

we were beaten badly on the line in the 2nd quarter. I didnt' see the first. our game plan in the second half didn't seem different, we kept thinking we could get pressure with the front line, or we were heavily blitzing. palmer picked us apart on the blitzes and we got little to no pressure if we didn't blitz.

how, exactly was that different from the gameplan last week? with the exception that cutler was a wild man?

Fritz
09-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Crusty, I was pissed as all get out after the game - heck, during the game - but I have cooled off somewhat. I think it is wise to wait before jumping off cliffs (or Clefts), cutting off ears, or throwing coaches/general managers under the bus. There's plenty of time for that in the off-season!

I've maintained that this team has talent. Obviously, I could well be wrong, but I'd like to wait before I start throwing things around.

Does this make me a "homer" or "kool-aid drinker"? Or a wuss?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2009, 07:06 PM

they don't talk to you but somehow you knew they weren't buying the hype?

we were beaten badly on the line in the 2nd quarter. I didnt' see the first. our game plan in the second half didn't seem different, we kept thinking we could get pressure with the front line, or we were heavily blitzing. palmer picked us apart on the blitzes and we got little to no pressure if we didn't blitz.

how, exactly was that different from the gameplan last week? with the exception that cutler was a wild man?

Dude. Of course they werent' buying the hype. The are football coaches, conservative to the core. they arent' in marketing.

Show us one thing that illustrates them buying the hype.

But, your example in this was the dline..you mean the defense that we have been repeatedly told would take some time to adjust.

Why would we adjust the gameplan from last week...since we stopped their running game cold and Cutler was on the run.

Either way, you didn't show how hype has any part in this loss.

You can be frustrated with execution. You can be frustrated with our players. You can question decisions being made, but to think that these guys who get paid millions and who live in their offices were loafing....well, that is just absurd.

Mr. Capers didn't get to his position in the NFL by listening to fans, media, etc. He got there by doing the exact opposite...and working his ass off.

The answer is right in front of you, but you persist in walking around it.

Badgerinmaine
09-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Was McCarthy on the field at Tackle? I might have missed that
Should we try that next week, Crusty?

retailguy
09-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Dude. Of course they werent' buying the hype. The are football coaches, conservative to the core. they arent' in marketing.

Show us one thing that illustrates them buying the hype.

But, your example in this was the dline..you mean the defense that we have been repeatedly told would take some time to adjust.

Why would we adjust the gameplan from last week...since we stopped their running game cold and Cutler was on the run.

Either way, you didn't show how hype has any part in this loss.

You can be frustrated with execution. You can be frustrated with our players. You can question decisions being made, but to think that these guys who get paid millions and who live in their offices were loafing....well, that is just absurd.

Mr. Capers didn't get to his position in the NFL by listening to fans, media, etc. He got there by doing the exact opposite...and working his ass off.

The answer is right in front of you, but you persist in walking around it.

we'll see ty. too soon to know if the dl will gel. my frustrations for today were that the defensive scheme looked largely similar in the 4th quarter than it did earlier in the game. it didn't work earlier it didn't work at the end. i didn't see anything resembling adjustments to counter what they were doing.

we did stop forte last week, but not benson this week. pitt also stopped forte this week. maybe there is an issue there? guy was a monster last year not at all this year so far. Benson ran right at us and fell forward almost every play. there were no adjustments for that. don't understand that.

sure, i'm frustrated with the execution, who wouldn't be? but I question the personnel to run the scheme. just don't understand taking your best lineman and making him a LB. guy has been good, but not great, yet we'll be improved. I don't see it. Partial is right, that the Dl is very talented, we'll see if they can put it together and get good execution.

yet capers had options and picked gb, we'll see what happens. maybe he sees the long term goal? certainly hope so.

sheepshead
09-20-2009, 07:29 PM

So I take it that you assume it's a poor play call when the player makes a physical mistake. Or you have some super-human capacity to gauge whether a player's head is "in the game?" You have unique talents. Perhaps you should be an NFL coach.

Jesus, youre an idiot.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 07:43 PM

Jesus, youre an idiot.

Crusty has been called a great many things, but no one has ever confused me with the Messiah before.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Cleft,

Now that i have made you some money thru my picks, could you give a breakdown of how you will spend the money on your meds? Or will you just blow it on Vance and Hines Short Shots Exhaust and a Willie G Davidson Skull Fuel Cap?

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Crusty, I was pissed as all get out after the game - heck, during the game - but I have cooled off somewhat. I think it is wise to wait before jumping off cliffs (or Clefts), cutting off ears, or throwing coaches/general managers under the bus. There's plenty of time for that in the off-season!

I've maintained that this team has talent. Obviously, I could well be wrong, but I'd like to wait before I start throwing things around.

Does this make me a "homer" or "kool-aid drinker"? Or a wuss?

No, you sound reasonable. That's a frightening rarity for Clefty to encounter on the blogs. You may have some sort of disease. If so, I can recommend medication. Still, you echo a point I usually make. A single win or loss doesn't make a team. Also, when you start looking into the details of a game, you may find some things that change an initial perception of the game. The Bengals may have just matched up pretty well with this Packer squad - as I suggested above (see the post about the impending Vikings game). There is talent on the team, but it looks like they can ill afford injuries, especially in areas where they were weak to start the season. Clifton going out to be replaced by a guy playing on a bad wheel - that's bad news. Not having your impact rook along the D-line inactive - that's bad news, especially when your two starting tackles are stinking up the joint. Aberration or a sign of things to come? Time will tell.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Cleft,

Now that i have made you some money thru my picks, could you give a breakdown of how you will spend the money on your meds? Or will you just blow it on Vance and Hines Short Shots Exhaust and a Willie G Davidson Skull Fuel Cap?

Ty, I'm not even sure exactly what is in the cocktail of prescription meds on board right now. At least a bit of an overdose of Ludiomil (Maprotilin) is making me feel mighty good. There are a few Prats who could use some tonight. As far as the Harley equip - why would you assume I didn't already have those items? How do you think I burned the hose off my wife's ankles if not for the Short Shots exhaust. Clefty will never hear the end of that one.

Cleft Crusty
09-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Was McCarthy on the field at Tackle? I might have missed that
Should we try that next week, Crusty?

I'd pay to see it.