PDA

View Full Version : 3 running plays in the 2nd half

bobblehead
09-20-2009, 04:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092002/2009/REG2/bengals@packers#tab:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

here is the play by play. I have to say, this is a lot on MM. when Cliffy goes down our run game should actually get BETTER, but instead of deciding to run and rest the D and keep the Bengals D off balance we pass every single play except for 3 in the second half. WTF!!!

Its hard enough to pass block in the NFL, but we don't run any screens, we don't run the ball, just straight drop and pass....the bengals DLine was teeing off.

I'm extremely disappointed. This team might not have the talent we thought, but if you don't mix up the play calling you won't find out for sure either. I am starting to get on board with posters that say TT hasn't fixed the OL, but we aren't giving the guys a fair fight either.

MOBB DEEP
09-20-2009, 04:51 PM
If u have QB caliber of Aaaron u pass it!

Freak Out
09-20-2009, 05:19 PM
How many of the six sacks were in the second half?

That kind of play calling is pretty pathetic....what the fuck was Grant doing? From the sounds of it he wasn't blocking anyone. :lol:

pbmax
09-20-2009, 05:41 PM
He said they wanted to attack a weak Bengals secondary. He apparently has a one track mind.

red
09-20-2009, 06:11 PM

That kind of play calling is pretty pathetic....what the fuck was Grant doing? From the sounds of it he wasn't blocking anyone. :lol:

in grants defense

he didn't do much of anything today. and when he did, he just fumbled the ball away

retailguy
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM

in grants defense

he didn't do much of anything today. and when he did, he just fumbled the ball away

grant ran between the tackles today, and just when did we have good run blocking? It was non-existent after the 1st quarter, and I missed most of that.

red
09-20-2009, 06:18 PM
no he had nowhere to run that i saw. the run game as a whole was missing today

retailguy
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
no he had nowhere to run that i saw. the run game as a whole was missing today

I think that's the first problem we have to fix. either we switch to slants and other short passes on the sidelines or over the middle to open the run game, or we find an OL capable to open some running lanes. Until then, our WR's are largely out of the game... and that's our strength.

red
09-20-2009, 06:24 PM
theres been some of us screaming for a good o-line for years. the problem seems obvious

but we just keep trying the same rejects over and over again, and hope that they wake up one day and have a clue

retailguy
09-20-2009, 06:25 PM
theres been some of us screaming for a good o-line for years. the problem seems obvious

but we just keep trying the same rejects over and over again, and hope that they wake up one day and have a clue

well, I'm one of those guys. been summarily ridiculed for that viewpoint. I still hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. These guys are adequate, but not great. We need help and I don't know for the life of me where we'll find it.

bobblehead
09-21-2009, 09:26 AM

in grants defense

In the first half he had 11 carries for 36? yards I believe it was. Not stellar, but enough to keep the D honest. It also allows your OLinemen to catch a rhythm with their run blocking. 3 runs second half...shotgun most of the time...pathetic.

bobblehead
09-21-2009, 09:27 AM

in grants defense

grant ran between the tackles today, and just when did we have good run blocking? It was non-existent after the 1st quarter, and I missed most of that.

It was more non existent in the second half as we didn't even try.

bobblehead
09-21-2009, 09:34 AM

I can say this. Rodgers at times holds the ball a bit long, and when he isn't, he is getting hit in 3 seconds or less. One week Babre is a turnstile, the next week cliffy goes down and its college. You gotta run the ball though and let college abuse that guy a bit so he is at least honest on pass plays.

bobblehead
09-21-2009, 09:36 AM

well, I'm one of those guys. been summarily ridiculed for that viewpoint. I still hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. These guys are adequate, but not great. We need help and I don't know for the life of me where we'll find it.

Well, I wanted to draft an LT this year in the first round. People are enamored with skill positions, and TT does seem committed to spending high picks on the DLine, but we need to do better than one 2nd round pick in 5 years.

KYPack
09-21-2009, 10:00 AM
He said they wanted to attack a weak Bengals secondary. He apparently has a one track mind.

He was right. The Bengals extra corners are second rate. And THEY played out of their minds yesterday. The Bengals starting corners are a great pair of kids who will be first rate pro's after Wood and Al are retired.

The nickel and slot corners are JAGs who might not have jobs next year.

The Bengal safeties also had career games. Roy Williams was great in coverage yesterday. He was also bring the wood, his strong suit.

We ran into a pissed off team that had a lot to prove. And we thought we had the game in the bag.

Proved to be a lethal combination.

PackerTimer
09-21-2009, 10:30 AM

I can say this. Rodgers at times holds the ball a bit long, and when he isn't, he is getting hit in 3 seconds or less. One week Babre is a turnstile, the next week cliffy goes down and its college. You gotta run the ball though and let college abuse that guy a bit so he is at least honest on pass plays.

I agree. The running game is where you tire the D-Line out. Grant actually had some good runs in the first quarter and then they completely abandoned.

You can't take advantage of a week secondary if you can't protect your quarterback. The D-Line knew all they had to do was rush the QB, they weren't even worried about the run.

bobblehead
10-03-2009, 11:06 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092002/2009/REG2/bengals@packers#tab:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

here is the play by play. I have to say, this is a lot on MM. when Cliffy goes down our run game should actually get BETTER, but instead of deciding to run and rest the D and keep the Bengals D off balance we pass every single play except for 3 in the second half. WTF!!!

Its hard enough to pass block in the NFL, but we don't run any screens, we don't run the ball, just straight drop and pass....the bengals DLine was teeing off.

I'm extremely disappointed. This team might not have the talent we thought, but if you don't mix up the play calling you won't find out for sure either. I am starting to get on board with posters that say TT hasn't fixed the OL, but we aren't giving the guys a fair fight either.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/63359662.html

Maybe we can give college a chance this week and run a screen or a draw his way at least once huh??