PDA

View Full Version : 3 Issues From The Game

ThunderDan
09-20-2009, 05:29 PM
After giving myself a timeout for poor behavior and mowing my lawn I thought of 3 areas that killed us today.

1) We were sloppy. It looked like the first scrimmage from training camp out there today. There is no excuse for all of the stupid penalties.

2) 3 and 34. There is no way that the Bengals should have picked this up. I was saying, well from their own 7 they are either running a draw or a screen play. This is at least a 7 point swing if not 10 or more.

3) 50+ yard field goal attempts. What if with 1 and 10 on the 34 yard line we run a play designed to get 7 to 8 yards and then go for the TD? If it doesn't work do it again. No way ARod can take a sack there but he does. It was a lot more important to get 3 there than a TD. Let's make sure we give Crosby a 45 yard field goal attempt before we go for the TD. As it is we were chasing those 3 points at the end of the game. I'd much rather have Crosby kicking from 45 than 55.

wist43
09-20-2009, 05:32 PM
After giving myself a timeout for poor behavior and mowing my lawn I thought of 3 areas that killed us today.

1) We were sloppy. It looked like the first scrimmage from training camp out there today. There is no excuse for all of the stupid penalties.

2) 3 and 34. There is no way that the Bengals should have picked this up. I was saying, well from their own 7 they are either running a draw or a screen play. This is at least a 7 point swing if not 10 or more.

3) 50+ yard field goal attempts. What if with 1 and 10 on the 34 yard line we run a play designed to get 7 to 8 yards and then go for the TD? If it doesn't work do it again. No way ARod can take a sack there but he does. It was a lot more important to get 3 there than a TD. Let's make sure we give Crosby a 45 yard field goal attempt before we go for the TD. As it is we were chasing those 3 points at the end of the game. I'd much rather have Crosby kicking from 45 than 55.

On the 3rd and 34... I had to laugh - before the snap I'm thinking, "everybody on the planet knows this is going to be a screen or a draw" :lol"

Everybody except Dom Capers and the Packers D that is :lol:

Fritz
09-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Like you, I needed some cool-down time. I wanted to start a thread titled "Packers Suck C*ck" but thought better of it.

You are on the nose on all three counts. What sloppy, ugly play. How completely unacceptable - and on the coach's shoulders. This one's on you, McCarthy. Your team was not ready.

I was yelling the same thing on that third-and-a-million play. Keep some guys hanging back, rush four, be ready for a screen. But for whatever reason there was no one within miles as the guy went upfield from the fifteen to the twenty and the thirty.

Just an ugly game. Makes next week rather urgent - and not just a win. That offensive line needs to get straightened out, and pronto. Six sacks?

Wow.

pbmax
09-20-2009, 05:36 PM
I think Matthews might have been at fault here. He had the edge on the right side and after checking the back (or TE) once, he went into pass rush. Immediately after he committed, Palmer threw the ball. I think it was a bad read by a rookie OLB.

Either that, or someone who had contain on the outside was simply not at home.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2009, 05:41 PM
I think Matthews might have been at fault here. He had the edge on the right side and after checking the back (or TE) once, he went into pass rush. Immediately after he committed, Palmer threw the ball. I think it was a bad read by a rookie OLB.

Either that, or someone who had contain on the outside was simply not at home.

Sorry, PB, that isn't what happened.

Quite simply, Wist and the entire planet knew to watch for a screen or draw play, but somehow Capers and the Packer D didn't.

It is unfortunate that we hired a DC who spent 30 plus years coaching, but apparently had never heard of these 2 plays.

Sure, MM hired him, but i blame Ted.

red
09-20-2009, 05:50 PM
the big thing i saw was that the spark was gone today.

the whole team was missing that cockyness, or nastyness or whatever it was that they had in preseason

they all looked a little slower, a little dumber and more pussy like

mission
09-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Sure, MM hired him, but i blame Ted.

And why not?!

they all looked a little slower, a little dumber and more pussy like.

Personifying their head coach...

retailguy
09-20-2009, 05:58 PM

the whole team was missing that cockyness, or nastyness or whatever it was that they had in preseason

How about "glassy eyed" with disbelief. The Bengals came ready to play. The Packers... not so much.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2009, 06:03 PM

Its called the preseason for a reason.

Some of us tried to say things about the preseason and why one shouldn't draw so many conclusions. But, others were adamant about how important it was...and that winning games meant something.

All of us loved watching us demolish the Cards, some of us knew that we game planned for them, while the Cards didn't do it for us. But, you can't talk to the homers about that.

retailguy
09-20-2009, 06:08 PM

Some of us tried to say things about the preseason and why one shouldn't draw so many conclusions. But, others were adamant about how important it was...and that winning games meant something.

All of us loved watching us demolish the Cards, some of us knew that we game planned for them, while the Cards didn't do it for us. But, you can't talk to the homers about that.

It is rare that I agree with you, but you're right. Now, to make matters worse, there are two game films out there with effective strategies on how to handle this defense. It hasn't been too difficult. we'll see what capers can do with adjustments. He's got talent to work with.

Our OL continues to struggle, and our only option at LT is banged up. Philbin doesn't have as much talent to work with, and very little depth with game experience.

I'm concerned, and was never googly eyed over the preseason...

Partial
09-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Barnett is now bitching about playing in a rotation via twitter. They've got to win next week or this could get really out of hand given the lofty expectations of this team.

retailguy
09-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Barnett is now bitching about playing in a rotation via twitter. They've got to win next week or this could get really out of hand given the lofty expectations of this team.

barnett has not played particularly well. he's the last guy that should be bitching. he's a liability in the run game. couldn't shed a block if his life depended on it. right now we need guys who can do that because the line has sucked. barnett plays fine when the line plays fine, but is horrible when it doesn't.

Partial
09-20-2009, 06:13 PM

barnett has not played particularly well. he's the last guy that should be bitching. he's a liability in the run game. couldn't shed a block if his life depended on it. right now we need guys who can do that because the line has sucked. barnett plays fine when the line plays fine, but is horrible when it doesn't.

The line doesn't suck I think there is a lot of talent there. I think Cinci is a lot better than given credit for because they dominated the trenches against our DL, which I think is pretty solid when healthy.

red
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM

winning and losing in preseason is one thing. but when your 1st teams dominate the other teams first teams while they're in there, then theres a good reason to get your hopes up

and like i said somewhere else, maybe in this thread. their body language and everything just didn't look right. its like the wind was let out of their bollon after not blowing out chicago or something

retailguy
09-20-2009, 06:15 PM

The line doesn't suck I think there is a lot of talent there. I think Cinci is a lot better than given credit for because they dominated the trenches against our DL, which I think is pretty solid when healthy.

Talent I agree with. Performance I don't. Our DL was beaten badly today. Except for Raji, they are healthy.

Tyrone Bigguns

It is rare that I agree with you, but you're right. Now, to make matters worse, there are two game films out there with effective strategies on how to handle this defense. It hasn't been too difficult. we'll see what capers can do with adjustments. He's got talent to work with.

Our OL continues to struggle, and our only option at LT is banged up. Philbin doesn't have as much talent to work with, and very little depth with game experience.

Retail agrees with Ty. Ty feels dirty.

retailguy

After I posted this, I went to the backyard and threw up. I now feel better.

red
09-20-2009, 06:16 PM

not to mention he wiffed on a tackle in crunch time. thats the barnett from years past

Partial
09-20-2009, 06:17 PM

Talent I agree with. Performance I don't. Our DL was beaten badly today. Except for Raji, they are healthy.

Completely agree. The talent is there, and since they're healthy I'm led to believe that Cinci was very well prepared and outplayed our talented line. Maybe they'll compete this year, who knows.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2009, 06:17 PM

After I posted this, I went to the backyard and threw up. I now feel better.

No shower can cleanse this dirt.

Kiwon
09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Just an ugly game. Makes next week rather urgent - and not just a win. That offensive line needs to get straightened out, and pronto. Six sacks?

Wow.

Exactly.

Ugly game - check.
Urgent win before the important Vikes game - check.
Get the OL fixed immediately - check.

Six sacks. That's what I was talking about in the Rodgers' Toughness thread. No QB, except Archie Manning, can last the whole season getting knocked around like Rodgers has in the first two games.