PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions, "Not to F%cking good!"

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
One hell of a preseason for the Green Bay Packers equals two unimpressive games so far in the regular season and a 1-1 record. That is the bare bones about it.

The offense was responsible for a whopping total of 10 points today, and I don't know if they get ten points if McCarthy doesn't choose to kick a field goal with 45 seconds left down 31-24. This offensive line is a mess, and that is with Barbre playing decently for the majority of the game. The loss of Chad Clifton is a brutal one. The one player on the offensive line that can't get hurt does. Why can't he get hurt? Because this team doesn't actually have a back up left tackle. Sure Colledge can play left tackle but he is a left guard, not a left tackle. Tough move to make with a sprained foot in the middle of the game.

Rodgers is shell shocked, and it took all of a game and a half for it to happen, sure the protection wasn't great, but they don't need Rodgers scrambling himself into sacks, and also he should realize that his offensive line is beat up, yet he hangs on to the ball way too long, especially when the team is right on the verge of field goal range. He needs better awarness, and he needs to step up in the pocket instead of running out of it. Rodgers was also off target today.

To many mental mistakes and penalties. I am beginning to expect this every year now, why because the Packers are the youngest team every year in the league. So Packer fans, get used to it as well. So many dropped balls in the first half, Finnely, Jennings, and Grant are players that I can name off the top of my head that dropped balls. Not a great way to start a game.

Special teams looked well, special. Two long punt returns inside the Packer's ten yard line, really handicapped the defense.

Speaking of defense, they sort of sucked balls. If not for Chuck Woodson would this team have any points? He was the man all day long. Kampman, does the same thing every play and never gets to the QB, same with Mathews. Linebackers looked completely engulfed today, which you can blame on the defensive linemen. Chillar and Barnett couldn't stand up at the point, and at the very least Hawk would take on blocks, but couldn't get off them to make plays. Secondary, two reserve safeties make for a long day. Bush at safety makes me want to punch Thompson in the balls. No matter how big of a prick Anthony Smith is in the lockerroom he could have been a big difference today.

My buddy was trying to convience me that this team is no better than 8-8, I argued with him thinking that this team has to good of talent to be 8-8, I was thinking playoffs. Now 8-8 looks pretty good.

MOBB DEEP
09-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Let me guess...Given up huh?

Thats how I felt last year b/c of favre mess

but not this year

so y do u? Im sure uve answered but im curious

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I could honestly care less how this Packer team does, If they win, great, if they lose, to bad.

falco
09-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I could honestly care less how this Packer team does, If they win, great, if they lose, to bad.

So why are you even here???

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2009, 08:23 PM

For this,

"Lick my balls"

Scott Campbell
09-20-2009, 08:23 PM
It's going to be very hard to win games behind that O-line.

falco
09-20-2009, 08:24 PM

For this,

"Lick my balls"

I would think there are better websites for that... :lol:

MOBB DEEP
09-20-2009, 08:26 PM
:lol:

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2009, 08:26 PM

For this,

"Lick my balls"

I would think there are better websites for that... :lol:

Naw, this is the best, pure uncontrolled ball licking, I was thinking hell the folks on here do a nice job with McCarthy's and Thompson's balls, why not give it a shot.

Dabaddestbear
09-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Hey its possible. The QB has just got to get used to how to play on the scramble more often. The more tape people see, the more they will choose to scheme blitzes at you to keep you rattled.

Packers4Ever
09-20-2009, 08:33 PM

My thinking ran along about the same lines this afternoon - looking at the roster and counting up those of a youthful age and wondering - Why so many? Offense was a mess.

It's going to be this way, this is how TT makes his selections every spring and there's not a thing we can do about it.

I think what's really disappointing is watching them learn the new plays, the 3-4. Seeing and hearing of them already doing a
great job and reading of them being excited about it.

Maybe it was just a fluke today and by next weekend we'll have it under control? It hurts to see your QB slammed on the ground every other play.

There's one thing to smile about - the Pats lost today!!
:D

Waldo
09-20-2009, 08:37 PM

Yeah, it's too bad that they can't make up for the 10 seconds that are needed for the WR's to get open and for AR to decide to throw it.

I thought that Aaron was under very little pressure that wasn't his own doing today.

One of Colledge's sacks and Hall's whiff were the two that I thought were definitely on the OL. Constant pressure though. No. Not at all.

The others, Aaron held it way too long.

IMO MM is big time struggling to call plays this year. What the hell is he doing. Where are the quick routes and the stuff that takes advantage of teams bringing the heat. MM is calling plays as if he has the 90's Dallas line going up against the '08 Lions defense.

MOBB DEEP
09-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Proverbial sky has def fallen according to some

Partial
09-20-2009, 08:38 PM

Yeah, it's too bad that they can't make up for the 10 seconds that are needed for the WR's to get open and for AR to decide to throw it.

I thought that Aaron was under very little pressure that wasn't his own doing today.

One of Colledge's sacks and Hall's whiff were the two that I thought were definitely on the OL.

IMO MM is big time struggling to call plays this year. What the hell is he doing. Where are the quick routes and the stuff that takes advantage of teams bringing the heat. MM is calling plays as if he has the 90's Dallas line going up against the '08 Lions defense.

I agree with this for the most part.

retailguy
09-20-2009, 08:43 PM

One of Colledge's sacks and Hall's whiff were the two that I thought were definitely on the OL. Constant pressure though. No. Not at all.

You know, this type of "defense" of the OL has been going on for the better part of three years.

I don't buy it.

Yes, Rodgers clearly held the ball too long. But why? Unfortunately the camera angles on CBS didn't let me see the receivers very much at all. So, I don't know.

But what I do know is that the cincy DL was getting pressure with their line. This tells me that they had a 7th guy in coverage. So, why is that not the fault of the line? It's 5 on 4 and the bengals got consistent pressure, and won the battle. if you look at the instances of max protect there may have been times it was 6 on 4.

This is a systemic problem with this OL over multiple years. One week, this guy broke down, the next week the other guy broke down... consistency has always been the issue I've had with this line and nothing I saw today changed that.

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2009, 08:47 PM
The offensive line was at fault, ask anyone that has ever played offensive line and they will admit that if the QB goes down, it was their fault.

Although Rodgers is having his troubles in the pocket, plays are taking to long to develop down field, and receivers are dropping balls. The offensive line is also having troubles run blocking and Grant is spending way too much time in the backfield choosing what hole he wants to run through. Seams are there although they aren't open long enough for Grant to make up his mind.

Just thought I would put that in there as well

Favre is 2-0 so far this year, also thought I would throw that in there as well

retailguy
09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Although Rodgers is having his troubles in the pocket, plays are taking to long to develop down field, and receivers are dropping balls. The offensive line is also having troubles run blocking and Grant is spending way too much time in the backfield choosing what hole he wants to run through. Seams are there although they aren't open long enough for Grant to make up his mind.

What holes? THAT is a big problem. There weren't many holes.

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Now your eyes might not be as trained as mine, but there were seams there created by the offensive line, I didn't see the offensive line get blown up very often, it just seemed that the running plays, like our passing plays took too long to develop.

Partial
09-20-2009, 09:13 PM

Now your eyes might not be as trained as mine, but there were seams there created by the offensive line, I didn't see the offensive line get blown up very often, it just seemed that the running plays, like our passing plays took too long to develop.

I feel like we'd have better success if we stuck with it. We had all of 3 runs in the second half :(

retailguy
09-20-2009, 09:14 PM

I'm sure that my eyes are not as trained as yours. Also they're older. I didn't see seams. What I saw was an RB with little to no running room.

With what he had, I thought he did pretty good. except for the fumble. that was tough.

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2009, 09:14 PM

I feel like we'd have better success if we stuck with it. We had all of 3 runs in the second half :(

Pretty shitty. Can't run play action if you don't at least keep them honest running the ball, even if it isn't for very much.

Scott Campbell
09-20-2009, 09:16 PM
I saw a pocket that would have made Ziggy feel claustrophobic.

Deputy Nutz
09-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I saw a pocket that would have made Ziggy feel claustrophobic.

The pocket wasn't great, but it wasn't run for your life all game long. It seems that if a team takes away the slant route all the Packers are willing to do is go shot gun, or 7 step drop and wait for long routes to develop.

Then sack.

Odom had 4 today. WOW~~

McCarthy has trouble adjusting to his players capability on game day.

Brohm
09-20-2009, 10:33 PM
•Antwan Odom on his five sacks: "“I still think it’s a dream, I’m wondering when I’m going to wake up. We worked together as a defense and I was coming free on a lot of one-on-ones and getting to the quarterback.”

No adjustments by MM. I think the coaching staff has overestimated the quality of its O-line.

HarveyWallbangers
09-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Looks like we aren't going to go 16-0.

Sactopackfan
09-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Is Ryan Grant truly a feature running back or is he nothing more than a 3rd down back? Yes the O-line has been pitiful, and we have no running game. IMO Grant is average at best, and that's just not going to get it done. And Brandon Jackson isn't the answer either. TT has handcuffed this team in the o-line and running back areas. No matter which way you slice it, winning is impossible in the NFL if you can't run the ball.

Gunakor
09-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Is Ryan Grant truly a feature running back or is he nothing more than a 3rd down back? Yes the O-line has been pitiful, and we have no running game. IMO Grant is average at best, and that's just not going to get it done. And Brandon Jackson isn't the answer either. TT has handcuffed this team in the o-line and running back areas. No matter which way you slice it, winning is impossible in the NFL if you can't run the ball.

Unless you're Barry Sanders, your only as good as your offensive line. Crazy to blame Ryan Grant for there being absolutely nowhere to run for the majority of the game. The game was lost in the trenches, and that's the bottom line.

Packerarcher
09-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Funny how many of you are finally seeing TT for the worthless exec that he is. He has failed for YEARS to put talent in at key positions,but boy does he save money. Rodgers also needs to shoulder a lot of the blame here,he hasn't showed he can get it done when it MATTERS.

Waldo
09-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Funny how many of you are finally seeing TT for the worthless exec that he is. He has failed for YEARS to put talent in at key positions,but boy does he save money. Rodgers also needs to shoulder a lot of the blame here,he hasn't showed he can get it done when it MATTERS.

Uh oh, here come the zombies.

Fire TT.......Fire TT........Fire TT........Fire TT........

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2009, 12:41 AM
How much money has TT saved. Patler, Waldo....bueller, bueller?

Waldo
09-21-2009, 12:45 AM
How much money has TT saved. Patler, Waldo....bueller, bueller?

Not very much. He's spent up to the cap every year. If he doesn't this year it will be the first year that he didn't spend every penny possible.

As hard as that is to believe, it is true.

Overall, prior to this year, the Vikes have spent a lot less over the same span than the Packers, though they are catching up now.

Our bookend tackles, Favre, and KGB were not cheap. Kamp, after his last deal, was one of the league's highest paid LDE's as well.

Gunakor
09-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Rodgers also needs to shoulder a lot of the blame here,he hasn't showed he can get it done when it MATTERS.

Week 2 in the NFL is obviously a make or break game. Certainly much more important than week 1, which doesn't matter at all.

Gimme a break man.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Rodgers also needs to shoulder a lot of the blame here,he hasn't showed he can get it done when it MATTERS.

Week 2 in the NFL is obviously a make or break game. Certainly much more important than week 1, which doesn't matter at all.

Gimme a break man.

You know, this whole thing has got me wondering....are all fans this ridiculous or is it specific to the pack.

Are Pats fans in an uproar? What about Steeler fans..they lost to the bears who lost to us who lost to the Bungles. Crack addicted minds need to know.

Fuck, when, not a question in ty's mind, we pummel the rams are we going to get the same stupidity in reverse?

Lastly, when did packer fans get so disrespectful of other teams. Let's see.......we were 6-10 last year. The bengals were 4-12....yep, seems like we should blow them out. No chance that Palmer is better the further he is away from surgery, nope...Chris Henry isn't a good receiver, nope Benson didn't turn his career around last year, nope...they didn't sign some free agents, etc.

Its as if pack fans expect every "could" "might happen" to go perfectly our way with player development...but, fuck..no way could it happen to another team. The bengals are professionals. Marvin Lewis can ALWAYS coach defense. Hmm, we are missing our starting safety, have a hobbled lineman, lose a lineman, missing our backup rb, missing our first round pick, integrating another first rounder into the defense, incorporating a new defense.....but, FUCKIT...we are gonna win 13 games. TY is disgusted.

Let me remind all you packer "fans"...cause yes, some of you are suspect.....in 97 a great packer team lost to a winless colts team and still went to the SB. This team doesn't compare, yet, to that team...so why the fuck is anybody surprised or crying when we lose to a team like the Bengals...who should be 2-0 right now.

Sactopackfan
09-21-2009, 03:24 AM
I'm not pounding the drum for TT's demise, just questioning if Ryan Grant is a "premier" back. If they only call 3 runs in the second half, does that show a serious lack of confidence in Grant by the coaching staff? Yes there was problems on the o-line and some calls are very situational, but 3 runs for an entire half??

Partial
09-21-2009, 07:29 AM

Unless you're Barry Sanders, your only as good as your offensive line. Crazy to blame Ryan Grant for there being absolutely nowhere to run for the majority of the game. The game was lost in the trenches, and that's the bottom line.

Well, Nutz disagrees with you and he is an experienced OL men. Kind of hard to set the tone when you run 3 times in the second half...

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, I didn't say it wasn't the offensive lines' fault, I said that Grant wasn't getting the job done either.

Grant isn't special, I think we all know that. He is a good back, but he certainly doesn't have Emmit Smith type vision behind the line of scrimmage, hell, he doesn't have have the vision of Marion Barber. He is one of those backs that creates at the second level. He has good body lean past the line of scrimmage. Once he gets going he has some speed but he certainly is no Shelby Cobra, more like Buick.

MichiganPackerFan
09-21-2009, 08:24 AM
I don't think the team is as bad as its looked for the last two weeks. Rodgers has got to unload the ball faster. That means MM needs to call more screens and 3-5 step drops and quick slants. Get the rhythm going and then attack down field. Standing around and waiting for something to open up 40 yards away on every passing play is asking way too much of the o-line. The O-lines play was terrible, but Mr Rodgers needs to help them out too. Small successful plays lead to big plays. We've got STL next week and they NEED to find rhythm there!

sheepshead
09-21-2009, 08:27 AM
I agree. MM doesnt have this team ready for prime time. Thankfully this was an AFC game. MM needs to right this ship. If this team stays healthy and doesnt go deep in the playoffs, its time for MM to go.

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2009, 08:30 AM
It is a big messy combination right now. Players are not holding up their end of the deal, and the Coaching staff seem to be grasping at straws. Chicken or the egg senerio right now

ThunderDan
09-21-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't think the team is as bad as its looked for the last two weeks. Rodgers has got to unload the ball faster. That means MM needs to call more screens and 3-5 step drops and quick slants. Get the rhythm going and then attack down field. Standing around and waiting for something to open up 40 yards away on every passing play is asking way too much of the o-line. The O-lines play was terrible, but Mr Rodgers needs to help them out too. Small successful plays lead to big plays. We've got STL next week and they NEED to find rhythm there!

Seems like we have gotten away from the WCO that has been a staple for years.

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2009, 09:48 AM

Gimme a break man.

You know, this whole thing has got me wondering....are all fans this ridiculous or is it specific to the pack.

Are Pats fans in an uproar? What about Steeler fans..they lost to the bears who lost to us who lost to the Bungles. Crack addicted minds need to know.

Fuck, when, not a question in ty's mind, we pummel the rams are we going to get the same stupidity in reverse?

Lastly, when did packer fans get so disrespectful of other teams. Let's see.......we were 6-10 last year. The bengals were 4-12....yep, seems like we should blow them out. No chance that Palmer is better the further he is away from surgery, nope...Chris Henry isn't a good receiver, nope Benson didn't turn his career around last year, nope...they didn't sign some free agents, etc.

Its as if pack fans expect every "could" "might happen" to go perfectly our way with player development...but, fuck..no way could it happen to another team. The bengals are professionals. Marvin Lewis can ALWAYS coach defense. Hmm, we are missing our starting safety, have a hobbled lineman, lose a lineman, missing our backup rb, missing our first round pick, integrating another first rounder into the defense, incorporating a new defense.....but, FUCKIT...we are gonna win 13 games. TY is disgusted.

Let me remind all you packer "fans"...cause yes, some of you are suspect.....in 97 a great packer team lost to a winless colts team and still went to the SB. This team doesn't compare, yet, to that team...so why the fuck is anybody surprised or crying when we lose to a team like the Bengals...who should be 2-0 right now.

Word.

pbmax
09-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Some of this is self-inflicted. McCarthy has talked about attacking secondaries twice and has seen too many drops, had problems with protection, seen his QB lose the composure and pocket presence he showed in pre-season and the first drives of each game.

Both defenses came in designed to stop the short passing/slant game. So the normal backup passing attack was not available. That leaves the running game that has become an afterthought.

He has not adjusted this yet, but its only Game 2. Favre used to talk about figuring out what a team can do regardless of what the defense does to stop it. Your identity. Right now, this team and its O coaches have no idea what that is.

Tarlam!
09-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Word? Word?? What does that mean?? Word???

pbmax
09-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Calm down, Holmes.

KYPack
09-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Ty, keep posting, bubbles.

You are on fire today.

Gunakor
09-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm not pounding the drum for TT's demise, just questioning if Ryan Grant is a "premier" back. If they only call 3 runs in the second half, does that show a serious lack of confidence in Grant by the coaching staff? Yes there was problems on the o-line and some calls are very situational, but 3 runs for an entire half??

No, Ryan Grant isn't a premier back. But, we have 2 premier WR's, a luxury not many teams have. Everybody on your starting lineup can't be a premier player. There aren't 32 premier backs in the NFL.

Gunakor
09-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Well, I didn't say it wasn't the offensive lines' fault, I said that Grant wasn't getting the job done either.

Grant isn't special, I think we all know that. He is a good back, but he certainly doesn't have Emmit Smith type vision behind the line of scrimmage, hell, he doesn't have have the vision of Marion Barber. He is one of those backs that creates at the second level. He has good body lean past the line of scrimmage. Once he gets going he has some speed but he certainly is no Shelby Cobra, more like Buick.

You're absolutely right, Grant isn't special. Though I think he could be a lot better with more balanced playcalling, and maybe a crease to run through from time to time.

Comparisons to Emmit Smith are kind of setting the bar unfairly high IMO. And, even if making those comparisons, we also have to consider the 1500 pounds of beef Emmit had the honor of running behind down there in Dallas. If Grant was running behind that line, who knows what he could do. Certainly not Emmit Smith production, but he'd be in Pro Bowl discussions annually.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2009, 05:08 PM

Tar,

A slightly older african american colloquialism (sp?)

1. Word

1) well said
2)said in a agreement
3) can be used as a greeting, hey whats up

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Calm down, Holmes.

Who da fuck are you to talk, ese.

pbmax
09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Calm down, Holmes.

You see, if I hadn't watched a certain South Park episode, you would have lost me there.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Let me remind all you packer "fans"...cause yes, some of you are suspect.....in 97 a great packer team lost to a winless colts team ..............

That was a road game.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Calm down, Holmes.

You see, if I hadn't watched a certain South Park episode, you would have lost me there.

You one bad ass cholo.

Badgerinmaine
09-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Sounding a bit Aesop-like there...
"'I'm sure those grapes are sour and are not worth my time' he said to himself as he walked away hungry."

http://www.chrisbeetles.com/img/pictures/artists/Robinson_Charles/AG676-b.jpg

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2009, 05:48 PM

Sounding a bit Aesop-like there...
"'I'm sure those grapes are sour and are not worth my time' he said to himself as he walked away hungry."

http://www.chrisbeetles.com/img/pictures/artists/Robinson_Charles/AG676-b.jpg

I know where my bread is buttered. Better than grapes any how.

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 06:18 PM
"Word"

lol....Bamas be trying too hard

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2009, 06:34 PM
"Word"

lol....Bamas be trying too hard

Oreo

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 06:37 PM
LOLLOLLOLOLLOLLOLLOL