PDA

View Full Version : I guess I am the only one who thinks today was a good thing!

Tony Oday
09-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Though Cincy sucked last year it was mainly on offense that they struggled. Their defense was 12 in the NFL with an offense that was terrible. They are a good team that exploited what the Pack does bad.

I think this is a nice wake up call game. Basically we have the tools just have to execute. Have to tighten up the drops. Pass protection will not always be perfect but when we run it what 3 times in the second half all the D line has to do is pin their ears back and rush AR. I mean where were the draw plays? a draw to the left side of the line would have at least slowed the rush a little bit.

Tramon on Chad Johnson...well that is a mis match IMO and they exploited it. ST can give up one run but two? That is execution. Pickett and Jolly need to step the game up and eat up more blockers to free our LBs to make plays.

AR needs a running game. There is a rare QB that can consistently play at a high level without on. I mean set the run up by the pass we have done it in the past. It seems like the running game needs to be like novicane...use it enough and it will work. You have to beat up the D line with run blocks so they are just that much slower. That being said AR has to hit his WR and doesnt need to win the game all at once.

This is still a good football team that has to go into this week realizing that games are not won on paper they are won on the field.

GO PACK!

channtheman
09-21-2009, 02:25 AM
I thought the exact same thing after I had cooled down a little bit. It's early in the season and we can easily rebound.

I'll add this though, I don't ever think that a loss is a good thing. Hell no it isn't good that we lost. If we learn from it and our receivers stop dropping every pass thrown their way, we'll see what happens.

MJZiggy
09-21-2009, 06:03 AM
As far as I can tell, the only thing good about the game was that my DVR failed to record it and I had no way to watch the agony...I don't want any team giving lessons on how to beat us.

packrulz
09-21-2009, 06:13 AM
I agree they need to run the ball more, play action doesn't work if you never run. Cincy's running game was working and Palmer got the ball out quick. The Pack could've tied at the end if the refs weren't so flag happy. At least it should stop this foolish talk about trading Scott Wells.

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 06:28 AM
AR needs a running game. There is a rare QB that can consistently play at a high level without on. I mean set the run up by the pass we have done it in the past. It seems like the running game needs to be like novicane...use it enough and it will work. You have to beat up the D line with run blocks so they are just that much slower. That being said AR has to hit his WR and doesnt need to win the game all at once.

Spot on

hoosier
09-21-2009, 07:56 AM
The Bungles are probably better than most people give them credit for, but they're still an average team at best. That said, I agree that yesterday could be a "wake up call," and if the Packers turn it around this loss will surely be seen as just that. But the fact remains that the Packers got exposed today in two ways: (1) they are without doubt not even close to the dominant team we saw in the preseason; (2) right now they aren't even a good team. A good team can go out and underperform against a mediocre team like Cincinnati, but when you're within 7 with 10 minutes left in the 4th quater, a good team finds a way to win. The Packers were unable to come back today because of atrocious pass protection, inability or unwillingness to establish a running game, and failure to shut down a very average running game. That's a lot of things that need fixing.

mraynrand
09-21-2009, 07:58 AM
The Bungles are probably better than most people give them credit for, but they're still an average team at best. That said, I agree that yesterday could be a "wake up call," and if the Packers turn it around this loss will surely be seen as just that. But the fact remains that the Packers got exposed today in two ways: (1) they are without doubt not even close to the dominant team we saw in the preseason; (2) right now they aren't even a good team. A good team can go out and underperform against a mediocre team like Cincinnati, but when you're within 7 with 10 minutes left in the 4th quater, a good team finds a way to win. The Packers were unable to come back today because of atrocious pass protection, inability or unwillingness to establish a running game, and failure to shut down a very average running game. That's a lot of things that need fixing.

How about the failure to throw a few check-down passes? I thought the days of 'chuck one up' were over.

pbmax
09-21-2009, 11:31 AM

How about the failure to throw a few check-down passes? I thought the days of 'chuck one up' were over.
If teams are playing a technique or coverage to stop the slant (the Bears did, unsure of the Bengals), then it stands to reason you have some room outside or deep in the middle.

If you have to keep one TE or WR to block because of protection problems, that removes the threat to one of those areas. Add in the drops and poor throws, we have nothing to hang our hat on.

Pugger
09-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Maybe this team needed someone to punch them in the mouth and wake them up. I wonder if we got a little fat and arrogant after the success in preseason? :?:

Waldo
09-21-2009, 12:26 PM
If teams are playing a technique or coverage to stop the slant (the Bears did, unsure of the Bengals), then it stands to reason you have some room outside or deep in the middle.

If you have to keep one TE or WR to block because of protection problems, that removes the threat to one of those areas. Add in the drops and poor throws, we have nothing to hang our hat on.

I don't understand the lack of either short slants, outs or double moves. You can't take away all 3. Plays short inside shoulder and the out is open. Play short outside shoulder and the slant is open. Play off but anticipate slant/out, and the double move is open.

We haven't throw a single pass to a HB/FB in the flat yet this season that I am aware of yet.

mmmdk
09-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I prefer to learn by winning.

Packers hasn't been winning much lately - 39 % winning since the NFC championship game (not included).

But being 1-1 is improvement - 50% ? :P

Tony Oday
09-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I still think we need a running game. Without it we are dead in the water and AR MIGHT be dead by the end of the year.

GBRulz
09-21-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd rather us struggle early and start to gel midway through the season with the momentum going into the playoffs vs the other way around. I still haven't lost hope in the season, but I'm not as drunk on the Kool-Aid as I was during the PS.

The Shadow
09-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I think Raji really needed to be in there. Focusing so much on readiness for Minnesota cost us.

Rastak
09-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Tony, you are not alone. I thought it was a good thing too!

:wink:

Bretsky
09-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Losing a stinker is never a good thing