PDA

View Full Version : Sharper Shake

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 04:57 AM
I still miss that cat

And he's still gettn it done for N.O.

Has 3 ints in 2 games, returned one 97 yards for TD (9th career tying Prime Time for 2nd behind Woodson)

I would love him and OUR woodson to be back there together for us

mission
09-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Get outta here with this crap...

sheepshead
09-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I was glad to see him go. He hasnt made a tackle in 7 years.

pbmax
09-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Never happier for a good player to leave than when Sharper left. The definition of unsound.

Zool
09-21-2009, 09:11 AM
I tried finding his "hit" on Owens in the playoff loss but no luck. Guy hits like a 9 year old girl and has been cherry picking for his entire career.

mraynrand
09-21-2009, 12:03 PM
More love for 'Day late, dollar short Sharper.'

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=4thand26.flv

Old School
09-21-2009, 02:03 PM
All the Packer garbage seems to have gravitated to Minnesota, and even they didn't keep Sharper.

If Barnett doesn't learn to keep his mouth shut and just play football, I'd be happy to see him head there too.

As a Cub fan, I've had my fill of "it's about me" players. (See Milton Bradley.)

Patler
09-21-2009, 02:21 PM
For all his interceptions and touchdowns, does anyone remember one from Sharper when it really mattered? When it changed momentum? Yesterday he scored the last TD in a 48-22 victory, didn't he? Yup, that 19 point lead was in danger until Sharpers big interception and TD with a minute left in the game.

Watching highlights of that game, I also saw Sharper not making plays in Philly highlights.

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Dayum, NO one here liked sharper as a packer?

So basically its becasue of longevity and playn with other SOUND players that has led to him putting up respectable numbers?

I normally dont support the pretty boys, and loathe his role in TO fiasco and 4th and 26, so i understand some of the sentiment. But he's no buster, top 5 in packers safetyy lore

Could be that im just still in love with that era beofre i was scarred by FA

My bad

Not everyone's the same so Be nice Hitman Mission... 8-)

retailguy
09-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry Mobb - but as to Sharper, Goodbye, good luck, good riddance.

I'd rather have Mike Hawkins back. Seriously.

Bretsky
09-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I'd take Sharper back in a second; he's been better than any safety post Sharper that I can recall except for Collins

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2009, 05:52 PM

I will punch you in the balls for making that statement.

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 06:03 PM
I'd take Sharper back in a second; he's been better than any safety post Sharper that I can recall except for Collins

Good point B

Bretsky
09-21-2009, 06:16 PM

Good point B

There may be one, but I can't think of anybody better we've had as a starter since we let him go except Collins. He's not as good now as he was back then but if Collins is out IMO he's better than anybdoy back there.

TT let him fly by not offering him too dam much and he went to more wealthy pastures. Perhaps they should've kept Sharper and let Bubba go on his way.

pbmax
09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
For all his interceptions and touchdowns, does anyone remember one from Sharper when it really mattered? When it changed momentum? Yesterday he scored the last TD in a 48-22 victory, didn't he? Yup, that 19 point lead was in danger until Sharpers big interception and TD with a minute left in the game.

Watching highlights of that game, I also saw Sharper not making plays in Philly highlights.
He is Bobby Bonilla with the Mets and Orioles. :lol:

pbmax
09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Dayum, NO one here liked sharper as a packer?

So basically its becasue of longevity and playn with other SOUND players that has led to him putting up respectable numbers?

I normally dont support the pretty boys, and loathe his role in TO fiasco and 4th and 26, so i understand some of the sentiment. But he's no buster, top 5 in packers safetyy lore

Could be that im just still in love with that era beofre i was scarred by FA

My bad

Not everyone's the same so Be nice Hitman Mission... 8-)
Sharper was/is a glory hound. He ran back INTs he should have fallen on to protect possession and ran out of the endzone when a touchback would have been preferable.

He never covered as well as his corner background and physical tools should have allowed him, so he could never have played a role like Butler.

And he was worse than Deion in run support. And it wasn't because he was afraid of contact, but because as a Free Safety he took the most horrendous angles for tackles that I have ever seen. He makes Aaron Rouse look like Steve Atwater. As the last line of defense, Sharper could always be counted on to add 15 yards to a play because he would make an initial miss then have to chase the guy down.

The definition of unsound. There are worse, none more frustrating.

pbmax
09-21-2009, 06:39 PM

I can't even go that far. And I would trade Sharper for a ham sandwich.

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 06:40 PM

Good point B

There may be one, but I can't think of anybody better we've had as a starter since we let him go except Collins. He's not as good now as he was back then but if Collins is out IMO he's better than anybdoy back there.

TT let him fly by not offering him too dam much and he went to more wealthy pastures. Perhaps they should've kept Sharper and let Bubba go on his way.

Hmmmm, thats pretty good GM'ing right there Bret

Something WAS a lil strange with Sharper but I dug his swag and I really believe the team fed off it like the Vikes and now the Saints are

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2009, 08:28 PM

Good point B

Something WAS a lil strange with Sharper but I dug his swag and I really believe the team fed off it like the Vikes and now the Saints are

Vikes were good on D before he got there, good when he was there, and they are still good now that he's gone. He really didn't make much difference with his "swag" in MN.

NO is currently #22 in the league of pts allowed and #28 in passing yds allowed and that's going up against a rookie and Kolb in 2 games. That "swag" of his isn't doing a whole hell of a lot.

Bretsky
09-21-2009, 09:13 PM

Good point B

Vikes were good on D before he got there, good when he was there, and they are still good now that he's gone. He really didn't make much difference with his "swag" in MN.

NO is currently #22 in the league of pts allowed and #28 in passing yds allowed and that's going up against a rookie and Kolb in 2 games. That "swag" of his isn't doing a whole hell of a lot.

Besides Nick Collins who have we had since who is as good ?

We've had plenty of Sharper hate the past few years but at the same time nobody cares to point out anybody who has been better.

sheepshead
09-21-2009, 09:33 PM

Good point B

We've had plenty of Sharper hate the past few years but at the same time nobody cares to point out anybody who has been better.

Somebody needs to do some research on every position in football and their primary responsibilities ..then get back to us and let us know if ol' Darren is doing his job.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2009, 09:45 PM

Good point B

Sheepshead needs to do some research on every position in football and their primary responsibilities ..then get back to us and let us know if ol' Darren is doing his job.

fixed

Badgerinmaine
09-21-2009, 09:48 PM
I'll bite--I loved Sharper's style and intelligence when he played for GB. I'd love to have him back.

MichiganPackerFan
09-22-2009, 10:55 AM

I can't even go that far. And I would trade Sharper for a ham sandwich.

I will give you said ham sandwich and throw in Brohm in exchange for my Gilbert Burger and Sharper.

CaptainKickass
09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Sometimes, when I dislike a player, I like to swap the first syllable of their first name with the first syllable of their last name, and see if it makes me laugh.

Two words:

Sharren Darper.

(Just so you know that this works, my other favorite "reworked" football player name is: Mandy Ross)

swede
09-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Sometimes, whan I dislike a player, I like to swap the first syllable of their first name with the first syllable of their last name, and see if it makes me laugh.

Two words:

Sharren Darper.

(Just so you know that this works, my other favorite "reworked" football player name is: Mandy Ross)

Just so you know, Barry Hall was a really irritating guy.

MOBB DEEP
09-23-2009, 06:19 PM
If Sharper continues playing the way he's played in 1st 2 games he should make probowl....

Question: will that make him a HOFer

Weird to hate former packers imho btw

Zool
09-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Over-rated (clap...clap...clap clap clap)

Bretsky
09-23-2009, 09:03 PM
much rather have our starters
wait
who are they ?

Scott Campbell
09-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Sometimes, when I dislike a player, I like to swap the first syllable of their first name with the first syllable of their last name, and see if it makes me laugh.

Two words:

Sharren Darper.

Cay Jutler. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BobDobbs
09-23-2009, 10:33 PM
You know, when Mobb posted this I thought damn, now that we're out of Kool Aid around here someone's gonna break out the Hater-Aid.

Wow, look at it flow. Sharper clearly had holes in his game. But the legend of his horrible play has definitely grown since he left. I think that most of it stems from his personality and propensity to try to break a runback when it wasn't tactically sound.

When Slowik tried to play him near the LOS it didn't work. He was a deep cover safety that would hawk balls. He did it well. He scored a bunch of TDs. That's important when your defense scores touchdowns. I can already hear all the But he couldn't tackle a girlscout on crutches. Well he can. Look it up on Youtube.

He was bad at lateral movement and angles and he wouldn't sell out on the hits. But in the past few decades even who starts over him? Leroy, Collins, Mark Murphy? Chuck Cecil could hit but I start Sharper over him.

Mike Hawkins a ham sandwich? Come on.

Just admit you don't like him because he thought he was better than he was. He was a good, but not great player who never caused lockerroom trouble, played through injury, had to be accounted for on defense, and would have played out his contract had he been allowed to.

MOBB DEEP
09-24-2009, 06:11 AM
He was bad at lateral movement and angles and he wouldn't sell out on the hit

QFT

Good post

swede
09-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Just admit you don't like him because he thought he was better than he was. He was a good, but not great player...

I admit it, and I was happy to have him leave.

If we ever get a safety who IS as good as Sharper thinks himself to be we'll have a pretty damn good safety.

Bretsky
09-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Just admit you don't like him because he thought he was better than he was. He was a good, but not great player...

I admit it, and I was happy to have him leave.

If we ever get a safety who IS as good as Sharper thinks himself to be we'll have a pretty damn good safety.

I'd settle for #2 safety as good as he actually is

pbmax
09-24-2009, 08:44 AM
much rather have our starters
wait
who are they ?
In this case I might agree with you. If I cannot have two starting caliber safeties due to injuries, then I would then be happy to have Darren Sharper. :lol:

KYPack
09-24-2009, 10:39 AM
I'll do this once. Sharper was a good safety and he should have been resigned at the time we had a chance to do so. Especially in hindsight. Sharper was not the perfect safety (LeRoy WAS as close to perfect as you can come), his outtages have been recounted on this forum, ad nauseum.

But he was a capable hand back there. Sharper and Butler were a great S tandem and we haven't had an equal tandem since they broke up. Collins is the only safety we've had since Sharper left that is a better player than Darren was. Rouse peeked in the backfield more last Sunday than Darren did in his whole career. Now we are at the point where an aging Darren Sharper would be a much better solution than the field hands we have to run out there as starters. Collins is banged up and the other guys don't know the job.

Sharper would be a great guy to have on our team right now. But, even had Thompson resigned him in '06, he'd be gone by now, anyway. Nobody plays with one team that long anymore. But Darren Sharper gets a lot more bashing from Packer fans than he has ever deserved.

Zool
09-24-2009, 10:44 AM
He was under contract but was asked to take a pay cut. I believe he was set to earn $6mil in '05. He refused and was cut.

4th and 26
Owens in for the TD in the playoffs

He was average I suppose but never seemed to come up with the big play when it was needed. I called him a cherry picker when he was in GB and I'm not going to stop now.

pbmax
09-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I'll do this once. Sharper was a good safety and he should have been resigned at the time we had a chance to do so. Especially in hindsight. Sharper was not the perfect safety (LeRoy WAS as close to perfect as you can come), his outtages have been recounted on this forum, ad nauseum.
I think we largely agree on Sharper's talents and deficiencies.

But how much would you have signed him for? I think Zool is short by a $1 mil, Sharper was $7 mil against the cap in Aught 5 and was asked to take $4 million cut.

T2 wanted him for $3 million, what would you have paid for him?

I would have gone to $4 million.

bobblehead
09-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Good point B

even if that is true...it still doesn't make him good.

sheepshead
09-24-2009, 11:41 AM

Good point B

Anyone that has cared to make a tackle. The guy stopped hitting years ago. A major part of his job, so he was launched. Guys on defense that refuse to hit in an effort to prolong their careers? no thanks

KYPack
09-24-2009, 12:41 PM

But how much would you have signed him for? I think Zool is short by a $1 mil, Sharper was $7 mil against the cap in Aught 5 and was asked to take $4 million cut.

It was true that the business side didn't work. Sherm should have never given him a contract that ballooned to the level that Sharper was due to make. When Thompson was handed that business equation, it was prudent of him to pass.

Sharper was a better player than almost all of the safeties that have played there since, save Collins and maybe Bigby in '07 only.

Fritz
09-24-2009, 01:06 PM
You know, when Mobb posted this I thought damn, now that we're out of Kool Aid around here someone's gonna break out the Hater-Aid.

Wow, look at it flow. Sharper clearly had holes in his game. But the legend of his horrible play has definitely grown since he left. I think that most of it stems from his personality and propensity to try to break a runback when it wasn't tactically sound.

When Slowik tried to play him near the LOS it didn't work. He was a deep cover safety that would hawk balls. He did it well. He scored a bunch of TDs. That's important when your defense scores touchdowns. I can already hear all the But he couldn't tackle a girlscout on crutches. Well he can. Look it up on Youtube.

He was bad at lateral movement and angles and he wouldn't sell out on the hits. But in the past few decades even who starts over him? Leroy, Collins, Mark Murphy? Chuck Cecil could hit but I start Sharper over him.

Mike Hawkins a ham sandwich? Come on.

Just admit you don't like him because he thought he was better than he was. He was a good, but not great player who never caused lockerroom trouble, played through injury, had to be accounted for on defense, and would have played out his contract had he been allowed to.

Bobb, I've looked and looked on Youtube and I can't find that video of Sharper tackling a girl scout on crutches.

I hope he used proper technique.

BobDobbs
09-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Fritz,
I just threw that in there to see if anyone would actually look for the clip. Sorry I was just ranting and feeling a little bit of mischeif in my heart. What I was really hoping was that someone would find a clip of Darren Sharper tackling a girlscout on crutches. That would have been hilarious.

Fritz
09-25-2009, 02:11 PM
We have the same sense of humor.

The only thing better would be finding a clip of Sharper tackling a girl scout on crutches, J-u-s-t after she makes a winning touchdown catch.

MOBB DEEP
10-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Balln like sure-fire HOFer this year and esp today

BEAST...

red
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
sharper is just being sharper

he'll blow 10 plays looking for the one big play

then he's a hero

guy made a lot of big plays, but really did nothing other then that

Bretsky
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM

I heard TT wanted him back at 2MIL and then later at 2.5MIL

Either way I'd have thrown out 4MIL w/o even thinking

I think that's about what he got from the Vikes

channtheman
10-04-2009, 06:32 PM

then he's a hero

I'd prefer a guy making big plays while also blowing a few over a guy who just blows plays.

Rastak
10-04-2009, 06:35 PM

then he's a hero

I hear that alot....except he didn't blow plays, he just made them.

falco
10-04-2009, 06:46 PM

then he's a hero

I agree with you Ras. I think Sharper made more plays than he blew.

Anyone remember in the Jags (?) game when the play was never blown dead but everyone was standing around? Sharper snuck up and knocked the ball out of one guys hands and then took it to the house.

Rastak
10-04-2009, 06:49 PM

then he's a hero

Anyone remember in the Jags (?) game when the play was never blown dead but everyone was standing around? Sharper snuck up and knocked the ball out of one guys hands and then took it to the house.

I meant today but yea, he made more than he blew.

channtheman
10-04-2009, 06:51 PM

then he's a hero

That's one of my lasting memories of Sharper. Everytime we talk about him, that's the first game that pops into my mind.

MOBB DEEP
10-05-2009, 09:23 PM

:?:

Guiness
10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Apparently, he's not dead yet.

http://neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2009/10/Sharper%20Named%20NFC%20Player%20of%20the%20Week.a spx

Sharper Named NFC Player of the Week

Saints safety Darren Sharper has been named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the team’s 24-10 win over the previously unbeaten New York Jets on Sunday.

Sharper intercepted two passes from New York Mark Sanchez – his fourth and fifth interceptions of the young season – and returned the first of the two picks a club-record 99 yards for a touchdown to put the Saints ahead 10-0 on the first play of the second quarter. He also led the defense with a season-high nine tackles.

The 13-year veteran defensive back leads the NFL in interceptions on the year and is steadily climbing up the all-time list as he now ranks ninth in league history with 59 career interceptions, third all-time with 1,311 interception return yards and is one of only two players to have recorded at least 10 interception returns for touchdowns, having taken two for scores already in 2009.

Sharper has now been named NFC Player of the Week twice in his career, with the first time coming in November 2005 when as a member of the Minnesota Vikings he intercepted three passes off of Giants QB Eli Manning, whom the Saints will face when they return to action on October 18 following their bye week.

MOBB DEEP
10-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Apparently, he's not dead yet.

http://neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2009/10/Sharper%20Named%20NFC%20Player%20of%20the%20Week.a spx

Sharper Named NFC Player of the Week

Saints safety Darren Sharper has been named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the team’s 24-10 win over the previously unbeaten New York Jets on Sunday.

Sharper intercepted two passes from New York Mark Sanchez – his fourth and fifth interceptions of the young season – and returned the first of the two picks a club-record 99 yards for a touchdown to put the Saints ahead 10-0 on the first play of the second quarter. He also led the defense with a season-high nine tackles.

The 13-year veteran defensive back leads the NFL in interceptions on the year and is steadily climbing up the all-time list as he now ranks ninth in league history with 59 career interceptions, third all-time with 1,311 interception return yards and is one of only two players to have recorded at least 10 interception returns for touchdowns, having taken two for scores already in 2009.

Sharper has now been named NFC Player of the Week twice in his career, with the first time coming in November 2005 when as a member of the Minnesota Vikings he intercepted three passes off of Giants QB Eli Manning, whom the Saints will face when they return to action on October 18 following their bye week.

Wow....congrats darren

MOBB DEEP
10-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Nice interview with Sharper on NFL Countdown

Brandon494
10-18-2009, 04:06 PM
He shoulda had another INT for a TD today if not for a roughing the passer call.

BallHawk
10-18-2009, 04:26 PM
He also gave up a touchdown by sitting at the goal line and trying to jump a ball for an INT.

That's Sharper at his finest.

pbmax
10-18-2009, 04:45 PM
He also gave up a touchdown by sitting at the goal line and trying to jump a ball for an INT.

That's Sharper at his finest.
No way. If it can't be counted by his INT touchdown total, then it didn't happen. What else are safeties responsible for except INTs?

MOBB DEEP
10-25-2009, 05:21 PM
DS scored AGAIN!

Best ever.....

Cheesehead Craig
10-25-2009, 07:44 PM
DS scored AGAIN!

Best ever.....
Did you see the play? He didn't really make a play other than catch a ball that 2 players tipped and I thought he fumbled that ball before crossing the goal line. Granted, right place right time but he didn't do anything special on that one.

Guiness
10-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Ya, he got the INT, and yes he returned it for a TD - and he's lucky he didn't turn it right back over in the other direction!

Did you see how the ball popped out just as he crossed the goal line? He was lucky that wasn't a couple yards earlier. He sees the brass ring, and takes unnecessary chances. Always has.

Brandon494
10-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Well it was not the hardest of plays he STILL picked the ball off and returned it for a TD. The guy has proven to be one of the best at returning picks for scores in the history of the league.

BallHawk
10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Well it was not the hardest of plays he STILL picked the ball off and returned it for a TD. The guy has proven to be one of the best at returning picks for scores in the history of the league.

Well if that's all you focus on I guess it's not that hard of a goal to achieve.

Brandon494
10-25-2009, 08:16 PM

Well if that's all you focus on I guess it's not that hard of a goal to achieve.

Dude seriously give the man his props and stop hating.

Yea he gave up some big plays but your acting like INTs are easy to get in the NFL.

gex
10-26-2009, 08:33 AM
So is Sharper gonna luck his way right into the HOF?

MOBB DEEP
10-26-2009, 08:34 AM
:lol:

MOBB DEEP
10-26-2009, 08:35 AM
he STILL picked the ball off and returned it for a TD. The guy has proven to be one of the best at returning picks for scores in the history of the league.

Second only to Rod Woodson ALL TIME

Incredible

MichiganPackerFan
10-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Nothing should be taken away from Sharper. He was alert and made a great play. Not his first time either. And also not at the end of a game. He's having a really good season on a much improved defense.

MOBB DEEP
11-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Currently the Defensive Player of the Year.....

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Why exactly did we let Sharp and MAC DA GREAT go again?

pbmax
01-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Because McKenzie insisted on leaving and Sharper has limitations that made a $7 million salary non-sense.

mission
01-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Because McKenzie insisted on leaving and Sharper has limitations that made a $7 million salary non-sense.

You had to feed him huh? :wink:

pbmax
01-16-2010, 05:19 PM

Sorry, I should know better. I could take the Sharper reference (he obviously was hurt and not done in GB - even if I object to his deification over the picks) but McKenzie is pushing it too far.

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I want Ty to have sharpers baby!

DAYUM

OR 007

stud!

BallHawk
01-16-2010, 05:47 PM
He's really not that good.

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 05:50 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 05:53 PM

ALL PRO at age 34... :roll:

RashanGary
01-16-2010, 05:58 PM
A couple more good years and he'll finish #2 ALL TIME with interceptions That's like Kevin Greene is to sacks. That's like Dan Marino is to TD passes. That's a big time number in a majorly important category. Win a SB this year with the Saints and I think he's a lock for the NFL HOF.

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 06:45 PM
wow...good info...didnt realize that

gbgary
01-16-2010, 07:30 PM

yup. this guy should never have been allowed to get away. nearly as big a mistake as mandrich.

gex
01-16-2010, 07:42 PM
A couple more good years and he'll finish #2 ALL TIME with interceptions That's like Kevin Greene is to sacks. That's like Dan Marino is to TD passes. That's a big time number in a majorly important category. Win a SB this year with the Saints and I think he's a lock for the NFL HOF.

As MD would say "DAYUM"
Sharper is so lucky, lol!

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 08:56 PM

yup. this guy should never have been allowed to get away. nearly as big a mistake as mandrich.

:lol:

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 08:57 PM

As MD would say "DAYUM"
Sharper is so lucky, lol!

i used to LOVE grape MD 20/20

frickn liquid crack for a youngn

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 08:59 PM
All sillines aside

Is sharp he best packer safety ever? 2nd to Butler? 3rd to eugene rob?

packerbacker1234
01-16-2010, 09:02 PM
All sillines aside

He isn't the best, thats for sure. His best years were after he left the packers and played inside domes. Butler was 10x the safety sharper was outside.

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 09:06 PM
All sillines aside

He isn't the best, thats for sure. His best years were after he left the packers and played inside domes. Butler was 10x the safety sharper was outside.

agree about butler

Lurker64
01-16-2010, 09:38 PM
No consideration for Willie Wood as the best Packers S ever? In my mind, it's between Wood and Butler.

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 10:08 PM
You must be mad old school

Maybe I should have asked about players since the 80s

What year(s) did wood play?

Lurker64
01-16-2010, 10:19 PM
What year(s) did wood play?

1960–1971, IIRC. He won five championships, went to eight pro bowls, was a 7 time all-pro, and is in the hall of fame. Currently, he's not doing so well, but he was a hell of a player.

MOBB DEEP
01-16-2010, 10:23 PM
thanks

failing health?

Bretsky
01-16-2010, 10:28 PM

always been very solid

Lurker64
01-16-2010, 10:39 PM
thanks

failing health?

Yeah, I think he's got bad hips, bad knees, dementia, and he only gets like a grand a month from the NFL pension plan. He's one of those guys who has gotten royally screwed over by the NFLPA not supporting the old time vets.

packerbacker1234
01-16-2010, 10:45 PM
thanks

failing health?

Yeah, I think he's got bad hips, bad knees, dementia, and he only gets like a grand a month from the NFL pension plan. He's one of those guys who has gotten royally screwed over by the NFLPA not supporting the old time vets.

Yeah, the old time vets do really need some better support. Unlike the players of today who make millions and can put stuff away for later in life, back then it wasn't the case, and the NFL should be doing what it can to support the folks that made this game what it is today.

MOBB DEEP
01-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Mooch and the guys were talkn today about how NUTS minny was for lettn DS go

Their secondary is biggest weakness :evil:

Ive seen all of their games and they have ONLY winfield who makes plays

Zool
01-17-2010, 11:41 AM

always been very solid

He's always been a bit of a cherry picker but a good deep cover man.

If he wasn't due $6mil he wouldnt have been cut.

BallHawk
01-17-2010, 04:24 PM

always been very solid

Solid isn't one of the words that immediately comes to mind when I think of Sharper. Sharper gets pub for one reason and one reason only: he makes interceptions. And he's damn good at that. But a large part of that success comes at the cost of giving up big passes. I have many memories of Darren chilling in the middle of the field trying to jump a pass for an INT, only to get burned deep for 6. Of course, the media doesn't pick up on that. It's too boring.

I'd take Nick Collins over Darren Sharper anyday of the week.

Bretsky
01-17-2010, 04:31 PM

always been very solid

Solid isn't one of the words that immediately comes to mind when I think of Sharper. Sharper gets pub for one reason and one reason only: he makes interceptions. And he's damn good at that. But a large part of that success comes at the cost of giving up big passes. I have many memories of Darren chilling in the middle of the field trying to jump a pass for an INT, only to get burned deep for 6. Of course, the media doesn't pick up on that. It's too boring.

I would proably take Collins too but it's close. I can't remember the last time when I thought we had two really good safeties back there.

MOBB DEEP
01-17-2010, 04:40 PM

always been very solid

I would proably take Collins too but it's close. I can't remember the last time when I thought we had two really good safeties back there.

werent eugene and butler together 1 year?

Bretsky
01-17-2010, 04:45 PM

always been very solid

yup; that was the last time I can remember being happy with both; maybe I'm forgetting a combo. that was around thirteen years ago..and Eugene was nearing the end

esoxx
01-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Butler and Robinson played the '96 & '97 seasons together and then Sharper took E.R's spot in '98.
Sharper has had his moments, what safety hasn't? One thing I will say is Sharper was never on a team that gave up 45 offensive points in a playoff game. Where was Collins then? He was like the invisible man out there.

MOBB DEEP
01-17-2010, 09:29 PM

always been very solid

yup; that was the last time I can remember being happy with both; maybe I'm forgetting a combo. that was around thirteen years ago..and Eugene was nearing the end

and then wasnt erob one of the main guys that took broncs lightly and went partying before SB? :evil:

pbmax
01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Just a quick note that future Hall of Fame candidate Darren Sharper took another step in a long line of questionable angles by failing to catch up to Tim Hightower on the Cardinals player's long touchdown run.

Maybe he will qualify first for the Interception Hall of Fame.

Joemailman
01-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Butler and Robinson played the '96 & '97 seasons together and then Sharper took E.R's spot in '98.
Sharper has had his moments, what safety hasn't? One thing I will say is Sharper was never on a team that gave up 45 offensive points in a playoff game. Where was Collins then? He was like the invisible man out there.

The Cardinals were attacking the middle of the Packers defense. Didn't seem Collins was in position to help out there much. I think the problem may have been more the defensive scheme than Collins' play.

pbmax
01-18-2010, 11:11 AM

The Cardinals were attacking the middle of the Packers defense. Didn't seem Collins was in position to help out there much. I think the problem may have been more the defensive scheme than Collins' play.
The Chargers were attacking with crosses and seam routes by Breaston. The crosses are too shallow for Collins or Bigby in Cover 2, but both need to play well to cover the seam Breaston was running. I did not see them make a play there until after the ball arrived. But in the Cover 2, to protect the deep middle (like the seam for the slot WR or TE) you need help from your LB and they were behind all day.

Badgerinmaine
01-18-2010, 11:24 AM
I loved Sharper as a Packer and still like watching him play.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Just a quick note that future Hall of Fame candidate Darren Sharper took another step in a long line of questionable angles by failing to catch up to Tim Hightower on the Cardinals player's long touchdown run.

Sharper is the black Paul Krause.

MOBB DEEP
01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
forgot that sharper was textn with Brett all summer telln him to go to minny

knowing my luck, my main man sharp will snag a pick 6 to seal victory...sigh...

still not quite sure i could stomach the queens winning it ALL but DEF want a win sunday while sharper balls great TOO

hoosier
01-22-2010, 01:00 PM

still not quite sure i could stomach the queens winning it ALL but DEF want a win sunday while sharper balls great TOO

That brings us back to the eternal question: which would be more satisfying, watching Favre or the Vikings (pick your enemy) lose the NFC Championship game or blow yet another SB? Personally I think the SB, but I am not sure I want to incur the risks involved in rooting for them to get that far.

Gunakor
01-22-2010, 06:51 PM
That brings us back to the eternal question: which would be more satisfying, watching Favre or the Vikings (pick your enemy) lose the NFC Championship game or blow yet another SB? Personally I think the SB, but I am not sure I want to incur the risks involved in rooting for them to get that far.

It would be most satisfying to me if the Vikings lose the NFC Championship Game, and then the Saints go on to win the Super Bowl.

hoosier
01-22-2010, 07:59 PM
My local ties kind of force me to root for Indy, though the Saints would certainly have an appealing underdog thing going for them and it would be hard to be unhappy about them winning the SB.

How 'bout a very close NFC championship where the Vikings have NO on the ropes but then Favre throws it away at the very end. Deja vu all over again, as Yogi Berra would say.

MOBB DEEP
01-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Personally I think the SB, but I am not sure I want to incur the risks involved in rooting for them to get that far.

for some reason thats pretty funny to me

the vikes have more talent and better balance but that home field advantage may spell their doom

however, dallas beat NO down in a game that had alot of importance for BOTH teams. NO fans hate dallas so im sure they were NEARLY as loud then as they will be sunday

and last time vikes played NO they won in spite of Bush getn it done i believe

Joemailman
01-22-2010, 11:10 PM

Reminds me of Matt Millen doing color commentary on a Packer game in Sharper's first year as a starter: "Sharper must have failed Geometry in school because he always takes the wrong angle."

Bossman641
01-23-2010, 07:54 AM

http://media.insidepulse.com/zones/popcornjunkies/uploads/2008/12/denzelwashington.jpg

Don't be a hater

MOBB DEEP
01-23-2010, 08:22 AM
hahahaha...

GOTA hate this weekend

i LOVE brees, bush, sharp, and all that drew and wifey have done for Katrina.

but favre needs/deserves swan song more than darren and brees has alot of time left

who u got Bossy? not heart but mind....seems like toss up

Bossman641
01-23-2010, 09:21 AM
hahahaha...

GOTA hate this weekend

i LOVE brees, bush, sharp, and all that drew and wifey have done for Katrina.

but favre needs/deserves swan song more than darren and brees has alot of time left

who u got Bossy? not heart but mind....seems like toss up

My heart and mind both say the Saints. The dome is gonna be rocking and I still don't trust Favre/Chilly in a high-intensity amosphere on the road. If the Vikings come out and take an early lead though I definitely think they could pull it off.

What's the latest on Percy? I saw a headline saying he was questionable.

Patler
01-23-2010, 11:48 AM
All sillines aside

Eugene Robinson??? He doesn't even make my list for consideration.

Fans are enamored with the glitzy statistics. For DBs its interceptions. Sharper is an interceptions machine. No denying that. But playing safety is a lot more than just having good hands and playing for interceptions.

Teams making a playoff run usually cherish veteran leadership, and particularly in the D-backfield. Guys who have seen it all and can react as the last line of defense. Yet the Vikings, who knew Sharper well, and who were clearly assembling a team for a Super Bowl run, did not seem to have much interest in keeping him. Again, playing safety is a lot more than just having good hands and playing for interceptions.

As far as all-around play, Willie Wood was head and shoulders the best. Butler second, although Bobby Dillon, the Packers interceptions leader, bears consideration with Butler. Gremminger, Brown, Hart, Cecil, Murphy and Gray were good all-around safeties. Collins might end up in that group, too.

It's always difficult to compare present day to past, You can't even compare stats. For example, Dillon had 52 interceptions in 8 seasons, which in his time amounted to just 12 games per year. He had 52 interceptions playing in just 94 games out of a possible 96, the equivalent of 6 seasons today. Sharper played 121 of a possible 128 games, and had 36 interceptions for the Packers. Does that make Dillon better? As an "interceptor" I think it does. As an all-around safety, I don't know. I never saw Dillon play, no TV coverage for me in those days.

First Wood, then Butler and maybe Dillon. Sharper probably merits being near the top of the next, very large group listed above, but exactly where is hard to say. If I were assembling a team, I think I might prefer some of the others, but it is hard to say for sure.

Fritz
01-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I will say this: I thought and still think Johnny Gray was a damn good safety. He cleaned up a lot of the crap in front of him. Sure tackler, smart, knew where to be in coverage. One of my Packer favorites.

Willie Wood was by far and away the best I've seen, though admittedly it was only once or twice on television plus the newspaper accounts I scoured. So that estimation is more from what I'd read and heard than anything else (My Dad and my uncle's discussions, which I'd listen to as a kid).

Leroy Butler probably the second best. But Johny Gray, don't forget him. He was good.

MOBB DEEP
01-23-2010, 06:37 PM

he actually did get on flight this morn...but that dome noise HAS to be torture for migraines; so i cant see him playn or being effective

MOBB DEEP
01-23-2010, 07:16 PM

http://media.insidepulse.com/zones/popcornjunkies/uploads/2008/12/denzelwashington.jpg

Don't be a hater

:lol: :lol:

Rastak
01-23-2010, 11:14 PM

he actually did get on flight this morn...but that dome noise HAS to be torture for migraines; so i cant see him playn or being effective

MOBB, if he has a migraine he will not be at the Superdome. If he's there he doesn't have one.

MOBB DEEP
01-23-2010, 11:26 PM
OK, makes sense

theres no meds for those?

he's been having them since age 10

all the technology and medical research....

Rastak
01-23-2010, 11:43 PM
OK, makes sense

theres no meds for those?

he's been having them since age 10

all the technology and medical research....

No, my understanding is that medical science still does not understand them. My father had them real bad but he knows how his started, he got thrown through the windshield of a car in the 70's.

pbmax
01-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Yes, the treatments available involve purposing other medications (some anti-depressants for example and blood pressure meds) as a prophylactic to reduce their occurrence to pain medicines that are meant to specifically address this particular headache.

But there are no cures, no complete preventative steps and they are not fully understood. There are many different types of symptoms (many are sensitive to light, noise, etc.) but the ones I am familiar with cause difficulty with vision and pain. Once one occurs, its a matter of taking the correct pain medication to keep the pain at bay while hoping to continue to function. At its most severe, treatment can involve narcotics to reduce the pain. Between the symptoms and the treatment, a migraine can make a person unable to participate in daily activities. I know someone who has them and when they occur, they come home from work and often, simply, must go to bed.

Fritz
01-24-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't even get migraines and sometimes I just get home from work and must go to bed!

MOBB DEEP
02-07-2010, 08:50 PM
The stud finally got him a ring he shoulda got with the Pack if not for eugene and favre's choking tails

good for the bastard

mardi gras will be OFF THE HOOK next week

Packers4Ever
02-08-2010, 11:28 PM

And man that DUDE can RUN !!!!!!!!! :D

sheepshead
02-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Sharper sucks. Did you see that attempt at a tackle in the first quarter? No thanks, now you know why he never gets a contract renewed. All 11 guys need to be able to tackle and tackle well.

Bretsky
02-10-2010, 05:58 PM

Sharper sucks. Did you see that attempt at a tackle in the first quarter? No thanks, now you know why he never gets a contract renewed. All 11 guys need to be able to tackle and tackle well.

Yes, I'd much rather have Mark Roman, Marquand Manuel, and Atari Bigby

MJZiggy
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't even get migraines and sometimes I just get home from work and must go to bed!

Who is she?

channtheman
02-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Yup. Not only do those guys not tackle, they don't get interceptions either?

get louder at lambeau
02-10-2010, 09:16 PM

Once again perception differs from reality, and the grass isn't greener on the other side. Bigby has averaged more INTs per game played than Sharper over the last three years.

Gunakor
02-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Once again perception differs from reality, and the grass isn't greener on the other side. Bigby has averaged more INTs per game played than Sharper over the last three years.

Bigby sucks. He's the weakest link on our defense and needs to be replaced ASAP. Your presentation of fact is ruining my emotional need to bash Bigby. Perception is all that matters anyway.

Bretsky
02-11-2010, 07:16 AM

How Many Games has Bigby played the last three years ?
How many of those INT's were game changing TD's ?

They are not in the same park as players

sheepshead
02-11-2010, 07:32 AM
No, Bigby tackles people.
Put it this way, I wasn't sad to see him go. What ever he wanted in terms of dough, I was glad we went in another direction. What came after him is certainly up for debate.

Brandon494
02-11-2010, 03:10 PM

Give me a break, Addai was making everyone on the Saints defense miss in the 1st half. Stop hating so much. Everyone knows Sharper is not known for his tackling but he is one of the best ball hawking safties of all-time.

Patler
02-11-2010, 06:33 PM

OK....I have to ask....How many game changing interceptions has Sharper had? I just do not remember that many! I remember more of the "so what" type.

Cheesehead Craig
02-11-2010, 07:34 PM

OK....I have to ask....How many game changing interceptions has Sharper had? I just do not remember that many! I remember more of the "so what" type.
Let's go down the Sharper memory lane. Skip, skip, skip.

Week 1 - 2 INTs vs Det. One with the score 28-10 right near the end of the first half. The other late in the 4th with a 45-27 score. Neither could really be labeled a game changer, although the first one was at the NO 4. I'd still not count it given NO was comfortably ahead.

Week 2 - 1 INT vs Philly. 99 yd return for a TD. Happened with 1 min to go in the game with the score 41-22 at the time. Not a game changer.

Week 4 - 2 INT vs NYJ. 99 yd TD return early in the 2Q making the score 10-0. Definately a game changer. The 2nd happened in the 4th Q with 4 min to go, score 24-10. Won't call it a game changer though.

Week 7 - 1 INT vs MIA. 42 yd INT TD return got the Saints to 17-24. At that point MIA had had their way with the NO def. NO won the game 46-34. I'd go game changer on that.

Week 8 - 1 INT vs ATL. Desperation pass end of game INT. NO was up 35-27. Not a game changer

Week 12 - 1 INT vs NE. 4th Q with the score 38-17 with 7 minutes left. Not a game changer.

Week 17 - 1 INT vs TB. 1st Q with NO up 7-0. NO did score a TD to go up 14-0 due to that. However, TB won the game 20-17 so no gamechanger status given to the INT.

So just this past season I'd go with 2 of the 9 INTs he had as game changers.

sheepshead
02-11-2010, 07:37 PM

Give me a break, Addai was making everyone on the Saints defense miss in the 1st half. Stop hating so much. Everyone knows Sharper is not known for his tackling but he is one of the best ball hawking safties of all-time.

Joe Addai isnt going to make anyone forget Jim Brown and Darren Sharper isnt going to make anyone forget Ronnie Lott. Sharpers a showman and a preservationist. I wouldn't want him on my team. Certainly not at whatever he is getting paid.

Brandon494
02-11-2010, 08:28 PM

Joe Addai isnt going to make anyone forget Jim Brown and Darren Sharper isnt going to make anyone forget Ronnie Lott. Sharpers a showman and a preservationist. I wouldn't want him on my team. Certainly not at whatever he is getting paid.

$1 million base salary, $200,000 signing bonus, $500,000 roster bonus, $1.7 million salary-cap number

Yea thats so much money for one of the best ball hawking safties of all-time. I get it, you don't like Sharper. That doesnt mean he isn't a good player.

sheepshead
02-11-2010, 09:13 PM

$1 million base salary, $200,000 signing bonus, $500,000 roster bonus, $1.7 million salary-cap number

Yea thats so much money for one of the best ball hawking safties of all-time. I get it, you don't like Sharper. That doesnt mean he isn't a good player.

I've never met him.

Gunakor
02-11-2010, 10:06 PM

Many of Bigby's INT's have come in the red zone. Those are near certain points he kept off the scoreboard. Now I don't know if you can call those game changing, but they are definitely significant.

Patler
02-12-2010, 04:53 AM

The unfortunate question we may all have to ask ourselves is this, "Should Darren Sharper make us forget Leroy Butler?"

There is a growing possibility that Sharper will get strong HOF consideration. Butler's chances diminish as time goes by because he has no eye-popping stat to his credit like Sharper will have with his interceptions.

If the day comes when Sharper makes the HOF and Leroy Butler has not, it will be a travesty, in my opinion. Sharper has not come close to the level of play that Butler provided during his career. Sharper brings a flashy stat, and not a lot more, in my opinion.

I wouldn't have to hesitate even an instant before taking Butler over Sharper when picking my team. I'm not sure I would hesitate much before picking Nick Collins over Darren Sharper, and Collins isn't close to Butler either, in my opinion. At least not yet.

sheepshead
02-12-2010, 05:38 AM
Good point, I dont think the Packers have replaced his leadership on defense since then either. There have been leaders but not like Butler.

swede
02-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Good point, I dont think the Packers have replaced his leadership on defense since then either. There have been leaders but not like Butler.

Didn't Butler invent the Lambeau Leap?

sheepshead
02-12-2010, 07:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcqPA55T0Nc&feature=PlayList&p=65418D3EB0A3F2F1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

couple of package grabs at 1:01 or so.

get louder at lambeau
02-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Bigby has played less games because he was hurt from tackling and hitting people, like how other hard hitting safeties such as Mike Brown and Bob Sanders are always hurt from hitting people. Sharper doesn't hit people, so he doesn't get hurt. When he plays, Bigby has averaged more INTs than Sharper, doesn't miss tackles like Sharper does, and doesn't suck in run support like Sharper does.

I can't remember ONCE that Bigby has looked as stupid trying to tackle someone like how Sharper looked trying to tackle Addai in the biggest game of his life. Can you? Joseph Addai is not exactly Adrian Peterson, either.

Everyone is swinging from Sharpers groin this year because he had a ton of INTs, but last year he only had 1 INT and his team let him go in free agency. It wasn't about money either, since he ended up signing a one year, $1.7 million dollar contract. What made the difference this year from last? Sharper had a great year, but I'm just not buying that he all of a sudden went from below average to super hero. My guess? He's a little bit overrated right now.

I'm sure what I'm saying will be interpreted as Bigby being a Pro Bowler and Sharper being a bitch, but all I'm trying to say is that people's impressions that the grass is so amazingly much greener on the other side of the fence is a little off. Both sides have some green patches and some brown spots.

Brandon494
02-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Bigby has played less games because he was hurt from tackling and hitting people, like how other hard hitting safeties such as Mike Brown and Bob Sanders are always hurt from hitting people. Sharper doesn't hit people, so he doesn't get hurt. When he plays, Bigby has averaged more INTs than Sharper, doesn't miss tackles like Sharper does, and doesn't suck in run support like Sharper does.

I can't remember ONCE that Bigby has looked as stupid trying to tackle someone like how Sharper looked trying to tackle Addai in the biggest game of his life. Can you? Joseph Addai is not exactly Adrian Peterson, either.

Everyone is swinging from Sharpers groin this year because he had a ton of INTs, but last year he only had 1 INT and his team let him go in free agency. It wasn't about money either, since he ended up signing a one year, $1.7 million dollar contract. What made the difference this year from last? Sharper had a great year, but I'm just not buying that he all of a sudden went from below average to super hero. My guess? He's a little bit overrated right now.

I'm sure what I'm saying will be interpreted as Bigby being a Pro Bowler and Sharper being a bitch, but all I'm trying to say is that people's impressions that the grass is so amazingly much greener on the other side of the fence is a little off. Both sides have some green patches and some brown spots.

You can't really compare the two, Sharper is a FS and Bigby is a SS. They are asked to do totally different jobs on the field. NO's defense was not that great this season but they lived off turnovers which Sharper was a big reason for that. Bigby is decent at best but he is not that good as your triyng to make him out to be. You might think he is better than he really is because the guys we have backing him up are just that bad. Bigby might not miss tackles like Sharper but he has given up his share of big passing plays.

get louder at lambeau
02-12-2010, 03:20 PM

You can't really compare the two, Sharper is a FS and Bigby is a SS. They are asked to do totally different jobs on the field. NO's defense was not that great this season but they lived off turnovers which Sharper was a big reason for that. Bigby is decent at best but he is not that good as your triyng to make him out to be. You might think he is better than he really is because the guys we have backing him up are just that bad. Bigby might not miss tackles like Sharper but he has given up his share of big passing plays.

I like how you just said that you can't compare the two, then went on about why Bigby isn't good and why Sharper is. Cute. :wink:

My point was that Bigby has had more INTs per game than Sharper over the last few years, despite the general public opinion that Sharper is great because of his INTs and Bigby needs to be replaced. I stand by that. Oh, and if anything isn't it even more impressive if a strong safety is getting INTs? Free safeties are generally in position to get them more than strong safeties, no?