PDA

View Full Version : The Case Against Ted Thompson

Chevelle2
09-21-2009, 10:40 AM
As some of you may know, I have been a staunch supporter of our GM, Ted Thompson. I have felt he is a very good drafter, and is apt when signing free agents who, although do not break the bank, are nonetheless productive.

Over the last two weeks, it is no secret our team has not played as well as we had expected. After a long discussion with a good friend of mine, I have come to the conclusion that I may in fact jump on the Fire TT bandwagon.

I am going to state my thoughts, and I would like to hear input on whether I am completely delusional, entirely correct, or somewhere in between.

Drafting

Depth

Many people, including myself, point to TT's ability to draft young, versatile players with good attitudes who provide "depth." On the surface, some of these players look good, however, when they get on the field they, to put it bluntly, suck. Aaron Rouse immediately comes to mind as a prime example. It is almost as if there is a false belief amongst fans that if a player is young and athletic, he provides "depth"

Oline

The refusal or straight up inability to draft linemen on either side of the ball. I am not going to go through each draft and say "Oh TT should have taken X instead of Y," but it seems he is more enamored by the D3 school lineman who gets good grades than the top flight olineman who has committed some crimes and has a mean streak in him. In fact, I remember hearing that Tony Moll was not even expecting to be drafted, let alone so high.

Dline

On the other side of the ball, BJ Raji falling to 9 was a gift, Jenkins and Kampman were Sherman's boys, Jolly was a 6th rounder (I guess we will give that to TT) and I have heard little about Jarius Wynn since we drafted him. We all know what happened to Harrell, and that is more on TT than Harrell. Everyone knew he was a risk

Receivers and other skill position

TT has done a great job IMO of drafting Wide Receivers. I think we can all agree on that. But what good are these receivers if Rodgers has 0 time to get them the ball? That said, how good is Rodgers if he is running for his life half the game, and on his back the other half?

Free Agency

Inactivity

Here lies my main beef with TT. I have never been an advocate of signing top dollar guys, you're Haynesworths, Hutchinson, Clements etc. But I fail to see the disadvantage in signing mid level free agents, such as a Jacob Bell, Justin Smiley, David Stewart etc. Now, Ill be honest I have no idea how the 3 guys I just named are even doing in the NFL, but the point I am trying to make is there seems to be a complete DISREGARD of the most important part of the football team. He does not even show INTEREST most of the time, in improving the line guys. Signing a nickle corner here, or signing a 3rd receiver there, can go a long way in improving the state of your football team.

Impersonal

On the rare occasion we have shown interest in a FA, we have heard similar reports: That the FA decided to move on because TT did showed limited interest (Chris Canty said TT never picked up his phone, I believe) and Moss said TT was cold towards him. Further, with regards to the Favre fiasco (in which I sided with TT/Rodgers) TT did not exactly come out smelling like a rose, either.

I have to go to class so I'll end it here. I think TT has done dome good things, I like many of the players we have on this team, and I agree with his decision to go with Rodgers in the Summer of 08. But should we struggle @stl, and yo-yo our way throughout the season, I think I will be hopping on the Fire TT Bandwagon.

Your thoughts are appreciated. [/i]

sheepshead
09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Read this beat to friggin death crap or eat glass? I'll eat glass.

Fritz
09-21-2009, 10:57 AM
It's a little soon to be jumping on that bandwagon - unless the season is almost over and I missed it.

sharpe1027
09-21-2009, 11:02 AM
I find it interesting that everytime someon critcizes the lack of non-draft pickups they point to one area of need and ignore everything else.

If you want to do a thorough assessment you have to look at the whole picture. Their #1 RB, best player on the team (Woodson), one of the better Dlinmen (Pickett) and a LBer that is playing as much as anyone (Chillar) were all FA or trades.

Also, the Packers have, so far, had the capability to resign everyone they wanted. Otherwise we might not have a Kampman, or a Grant or a Driver, or a Jennings, locked up for several years.

In the end, the O-line needs to be at least adequate or the team will struggle. Last week Barbre was the main problem, he seems to have improved much in a week. This week it was Colledge that was not prepared/able to handle LT (only because of injury).

Give them a week and see if they fix that. The season's not over just yet, they've only lost one game. If this year ends up with less than 8 wins, chances are there will be some major shake-ups. Frankly, I hope not. IMO frequent changes at the top are a big part of the reason perpetually crappy teams get stuck at the bottom.

Packers4Ever
09-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I hear ya, Chevelle, but I think we may be jumping the gun.

This was only the 2nd game of the season, the 2nd game implementing

the new 3-4 Defense. We have an exellent new D coordinator, he needs

a chance too.

What about looking at the circumstances after Game 6 ? I know that may

be too late to save us our season, but it has to start somewhere.

Other ideas ??

Pugger
09-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Yesterday one team came to play and the other did not. I lay that at the feet of ALL the coaches and the players. Let's hope they learned something and they won't go into another game going thru the motions and expecting to win.

sheepshead
09-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Yesterday one team came to play and the other did not. I lay that at the feet of ALL the coaches and the players. Let's hope they learned something and they won't go into another game going thru the motions and expecting to win.

A little too cocky also. When Woodson laid the ball down near the goal line I didnt get a real good feel good after that.

PackerTimer
09-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't know that I'm uncomfortable with the talent on the team, I'm uncomfortable with how they are playing right now, which to me is more on McCarthy.

I don't think McCarthy's play calling is putting the offense in any type of position to win right now.

Gunakor
09-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't know that I'm uncomfortable with the talent on the team, I'm uncomfortable with how they are playing right now, which to me is more on McCarthy.

I don't think McCarthy's play calling is putting the offense in any type of position to win right now.

Agreed about the playcalling, but I want to ask the question I asked in another thread about this. Who on the Packers staff would you rather be calling plays for the offense? Is there anyone better? Would you let Rodgers call the plays in just his 2nd year starting? I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't feel comfortable with Philbin or Rodgers or anyone else calling the plays either.

Tony Oday
09-21-2009, 12:46 PM
TT has given MM the tools...but just because you give me a garage full of tools doesn't mean I can fix a '69 GTO :)

We need to run the damn ball, SMASH the defenders in the face. Hit them hard and then they will not put AR on his back as much.

FritzDontBlitz
09-21-2009, 12:50 PM
I will fault Thompson's drafting in only one area: *apparently* he still hasn't improved the offensive line. I wasn't able to watch yesterday's game but the news reports suggest poor o-line play is hindering the Pack's offense. They still have the best set of receivers in the league IMO but if you ain't gonna give Rodgers enough time to find them...

** = edited for more truthiness

Scott Campbell
09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
There may come a time to jump off the wagon. But the day after a disappointing loss just two weeks into the season isn't it.

GBRulz
09-21-2009, 12:54 PM

A little too cocky also. When Woodson laid the ball down near the goal line I didnt get a real good feel good after that.

When you play like Woodson, you can be as cocky as you want to be for all I'm concerned. Players like Barnett who finally make a tackle late in the game and then celebrate it like an idiot is what bothers me. Funny how he's announced he's quitting Twitter, can't imagine why.

It's not a secret that I never cared for TT since he got here, but I've tried to be patient. It is now his fifth year and there is absolutely no excuse why our biggest achilles heel when he took over as GM is STILL the biggest problem. Get a decent OL and you can play with an average QB and RB....not the other way around like he's trying to accomplish.

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Well when you butcher an offensive line two weeks after taking over and can't repair in say 5 years, then you look like a jackass.

Watching Clifton grabbing his leg I said to myself, "Thompson's fault."

Everyone knows I am not a Thompson supporter, but if this team was talented enough to be talked about as Super Bowl contender why not bolster the offensive line depth with some veterans? Instead you back up our left tackle with our left guard, a left guard that was dealing with his own injury and was probably was swallowing the pain all day on Sunday to begin with. It just doesn't make sense, it makes as much sense as keeping three fullbacks.

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Watching Clifton grabbing his leg I said to myself, "Thompson's fault."

LOL

FritzDontBlitz
09-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Well when you butcher an offensive line two weeks after taking over and can't repair in say 5 years, then you look like a jackass.

Damn, is that how long it took him to let Wahle walk?

FritzDontBlitz
09-21-2009, 04:25 PM

I think he laid it down after he crossed the goal line...

Scott Campbell
09-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I am going to state my thoughts, and I would like to hear input on whether I am completely delusional, entirely correct, or somewhere in between.

My first thought about your change of heart on Ted is that Favre-itus is contagious.

Chevelle2
09-21-2009, 04:40 PM

My first thought about your change of heart on Ted is that Favre-itus is contagious.

Not quite sure what you mean here. My beefs with Thompson do not include the events of Summer of 08.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2009, 04:44 PM

Not quite sure what you mean here. My beefs with Thompson do not include the events of Summer of 08.

I'm kidding.

Bretsky
09-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Chevelle,

VERY solid post; I'm on the fence with TT as well. Seems like lately I've been a flipper back and forth.