PDA

View Full Version : O-line discussion

Patler
09-21-2009, 11:55 AM
We have good comments from lots of people in lots of different threads. An old guy like me losses track of who said what, where. So I am hoping we can concentrate discussion of the O-line in one thread. Random thoughts to get it going:

1 - In the off-season I questioned (as did others) whether Campen was ready for the job when he got it. Coaching experience in the O-line is very, very limited. To quote one of my favorite writers, (me :lol: :lol: ):

I have questioned Campen's ascension before. His coaching resume includes 9 years as a high school football coach (4 as DC, 5 as HC), two seasons in the infamous "quality control" position with the Packers, one season as a full assistant line coach, and then he became the offensive line coach the next season.

Campen went from coaching high school to the NFL, and after three seasons was put in charge of the O-line, to teaching a scheme he has very little experience with. His assistant, Fontenot has a long NFL career, but no coaching experience. He was a summer intern in 2006 and hung around as an unpaid assistant during the season. The next year he was promoted to the full time assistant line coach position.

The Packers have playing experience in their O-line coaching staff, but not a lot of relevant coaching experience. That inexperience, coupled with the influx of rookie lineman every year, very well could have slowed development of the O-line as a whole and the players individually.

2. - Have the Packers, with Campen leading the way, screwed up some decent O-line talent:
I read an article the last day or two that I wanted to post a link for, but now I can't find it. Does anyone else remember the following:

The article quoted one of the infamous "anonymous NFL scouts", who essentially said the feeling around the league is that TT has done a very good job in drafting O-line talent with Colledge, Spitz, Barbre and Sitton; but the coaching staff so far has totally botched their development, primarily from trying to cross-train them so much. I got the impression that MM's proclamation of letting guys settle into a position may have been mandated from higher up.

3. - For three years in a row, this O-line has started out very, very poorly. I believe they have talent, as shown by their performances later in the year; but it takes them half the season to get going.

4. - Time for a new O-line staff?

5. - Some insist Colledge is an LT masquerading as a LG. I've never been real comfortable banking on him at LT, long term. Looks like we might get the chance to find out, with Colledge preparing and playing there for a while.

6. - Can Jamon Meredith develop into an NFL left tackle, and how quickly? I really do not see anyone else on the roster for the spot. Even Meredith isn't "on the roster" in the classic sense, being on P.S.

red
09-21-2009, 12:00 PM
i thought we cut meredith?

did we sign him to the PS?

denverYooper
09-21-2009, 12:00 PM
i thought we cut meredith?

did we sign him to the PS?

yes.

mraynrand
09-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Campen was brought aboard for his skill in speaking to Brett Favre.

Pugger
09-21-2009, 12:18 PM
How serious is Cliffy's injury? Will he be out for any length of time? Do we need to look for more bodies there?

Freak Out
09-21-2009, 12:24 PM
I find it hard to believe that there is not a better O-line coach available....considering how poorly this line has performed something has to change.

Fritz
09-21-2009, 12:58 PM
What's the word on Clifton's injury?

As for the rest, this is a good week to get things turned around. It starts with run-blocking - if defensive linemen are teeing off, run at them so the offensive lineman can be the aggressor a little.

Freak Out
09-21-2009, 01:06 PM

As for the rest, this is a good week to get things turned around. It starts with run-blocking - if defensive linemen are teeing off, run at them so the offensive lineman can be the aggressor a little.

We need to go back to the old "run the ball to set up the pass" mentality before Rodgers gets himself seriously injured.

FritzDontBlitz
09-21-2009, 01:08 PM
As far as the multiple position thing goes, I think it'll help them further down the line in their careers by making them versatile enough to step in at any position. Right now they need to either let them focus on one spot or bring in some veterans to start while the younger guys take more time to develop. OJT at o-line can get your franchise QB killed.

retailguy
09-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Look, I've been on the oline bandwagon for the past 3 years now. I've sat dumbfounded as people kept insisting that they were better than they are. I didn't see it then, and I don't see it now.

I stated last week that I thought they were "adequate" and in spite of the criticism I've received for that statement, I stand behind it. Patler, I completely agree they are a talented bunch. They should play better than they do.

Each of them (except Barbre, and he's too new yet) have had a couple of spectacular games. Each of them (including Barbre) have had their share of clunkers too. I'm of the opinion that there is no consistency. None. One week, plays lights out, next week, plays for crap. Meanwhile that pattern is reversed with another lineman.

I'd never spent time laying the blame at the feet of the coaching staff, and maybe that's appropriate. I don't know. I'm not at practice, I dont' follow coaches comments either. But, they damn sure don't look ready to play consistently good football. They have never seemed to be a cohesive group. Always like a box of mismatched parts. All good parts, but they don't seem to fit together well.

The movement of positions, the shuffling of starters, the switch in offensive philsophy, can all be blamed, but at the end of the day, as our fearless leader says, good football players just play football.

I'm still waiting for that to happen. Later tonight, I'll go find some of my comments, both new and old, and post them for your review, and criticism if any are inclined.

Also, I'm one of the guys that has touted Colledge as a better tackle than a guard. One of the things that I really liked when he came out of college was his footwork. I thought he had the feet of an LT, though he was a bit small. I was very disappointed in how he played in relief yesterday. If that's the best he's got, we're in deep trouble, but I think, given some practice reps there this week, we'll see a dramatic improvment. If we don't, then, well I don't know what to say.

retailguy
09-21-2009, 01:21 PM

I read somewhere this morning that the tests were negative and he's got a sprained ankle. Not sure if it's the dreaded high ankle sprain or not.

mmmdk
09-21-2009, 01:24 PM

I read somewhere this morning that the tests were negative and he's got a sprained ankle. Not sure if it's the dreaded high ankle sprain or not.

I'm hoping for the medium rare ankle sprain...

Scott Campbell
09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
BRING BACK LARRY BEIGHTOL !!!!

MadScientist
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Wouldn't mind that. The o-line was decent under him.

Here's another thought, how about bringing Jags back to coach the o-line. He couldn't cut it as a coordinator, but he should be able to do something with the line. Can't be any worse that Campen.

Old School
09-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't know how much Colledge's sprained foot hurt his play yesterday. To his credit he didn't use it as an excuse, but owned up to a poor performance.

Bottom line though, if this doesn't get corrected, Aaron is going to get killed, and we'll spend Monday's critiquing Flynn - until they carry him off.

Patler
09-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Look, I've been on the oline bandwagon for the past 3 years now. I've sat dumbfounded as people kept insisting that they were better than they are. I didn't see it then, and I don't see it now.

I stated last week that I thought they were "adequate" and in spite of the criticism I've received for that statement, I stand behind it. Patler, I completely agree they are a talented bunch. They should play better than they do.

Each of them (except Barbre, and he's too new yet) have had a couple of spectacular games. Each of them (including Barbre) have had their share of clunkers too. I'm of the opinion that there is no consistency. None. One week, plays lights out, next week, plays for crap. Meanwhile that pattern is reversed with another lineman.

I'd never spent time laying the blame at the feet of the coaching staff, and maybe that's appropriate. I don't know. I'm not at practice, I dont' follow coaches comments either. But, they damn sure don't look ready to play consistently good football. They have never seemed to be a cohesive group. Always like a box of mismatched parts. All good parts, but they don't seem to fit together well.

The movement of positions, the shuffling of starters, the switch in offensive philsophy, can all be blamed, but at the end of the day, as our fearless leader says, good football players just play football.

I'm still waiting for that to happen. Later tonight, I'll go find some of my comments, both new and old, and post them for your review, and criticism if any are inclined.

Also, I'm one of the guys that has touted Colledge as a better tackle than a guard. One of the things that I really liked when he came out of college was his footwork. I thought he had the feet of an LT, though he was a bit small. I was very disappointed in how he played in relief yesterday. If that's the best he's got, we're in deep trouble, but I think, given some practice reps there this week, we'll see a dramatic improvment. If we don't, then, well I don't know what to say.

Over the 3+ years, of the young guys, Spitz has been the most consistent. Some bad plays from time to time, all players have them, but I don't really recall any real bad games from Spitz.

I think over the years we may be spoiled watching Clifton pass block. He almost always looks in control. While Colledge may have good feet as you say, too often at both guard and tackle I have seen him "faked out" by rushers who get by him with combination moves. Over the years we have rarely seen that happen to Clifton, even though he isn't what he was at one time. For that reason, I have never thought Colledge would be anything more than "OK" at left tackle. I hope I'm wrong.

pbmax
09-21-2009, 02:16 PM
I have questioned Campen's ascension before. His coaching resume includes 9 years as a high school football coach (4 as DC, 5 as HC), two seasons in the infamous "quality control" position with the Packers, one season as a full assistant line coach, and then he became the offensive line coach the next season.

Campen went from coaching high school to the NFL, and after three seasons was put in charge of the O-line, to teaching a scheme he has very little experience with. His assistant, Fontenot has a long NFL career, but no coaching experience. He was a summer intern in 2006 and hung around as an unpaid assistant during the season. The next year he was promoted to the full time assistant line coach position.

The Packers have playing experience in their O-line coaching staff, but not a lot of relevant coaching experience. That inexperience, coupled with the influx of rookie lineman every year, very well could have slowed development of the O-line as a whole and the players individually.

Campen had one more year of NFL experience before he landed his first full-time position coach gig than Jon Gruden did. Chucky had one season in San Fran and one season in GB as a Quality Control guy before becoming the WR coach. Prior to his NFL experience, Gruden was a grad assistant at Tenn, QB coach at Southeast Missouri, and WR coach at University of Pacific and (between the 49ers and Packers) the University of Pittsburgh.

This, of course, does not mean he CAN coach. But it wouldn't be unheard of to climb the ladder like this, esp. with one year as Asst. Line Coach.

The article quoted one of the infamous "anonymous NFL scouts", who essentially said the feeling around the league is that TT has done a very good job in drafting O-line talent with Colledge, Spitz, Barbre and Sitton; but the coaching staff so far has totally botched their development, primarily from trying to cross-train them so much. I got the impression that MM's proclamation of letting guys settle into a position may have been mandated from higher up.

Waldo made the observation that with our roster, one of the results of the "no musical chairs" mandate is that we have no one on the roster (except for Meredith on PS) who has spent any time at LT this year. So damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Noodle
09-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree that Patler and RG are on to something with the quality of the coaching.

But I also don't give TT a free pass on this, and that's because he has not seen fit to bring in any older guys to provide depth.

Asking new guys to learn multiple positions is a recipe for disaster (e.g., the Pack's line). Instead, I think it makes more sense to get yourself a war horse or two who has played a few positions at the NFL level to be your backup. Not your starters, but guys who can fill in so that you don't keep shifting guys around all the time.

I have to wonder if TT was so burned by the O'Dwyer and Klemm experience that he just will not bring in vet OL guys.

Patler
09-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Campen had one more year of NFL experience before he landed his first full-time position coach gig than Jon Gruden did. Chucky had one season in San Fran and one season in GB as a Quality Control guy before becoming the WR coach. Prior to his NFL experience, Gruden was a grad assistant at Tenn, QB coach at Southeast Missouri, and WR coach at University of Pacific and (between the 49ers and Packers) the University of Pittsburgh.

This, of course, does not mean he CAN coach. But it wouldn't be unheard of to climb the ladder like this, esp. with one year as Asst. Line Coach.

Ya, we had this discussion before. I see a little difference between Grudens more varied 5 year experience in college programs than Campen's years as a high school coach. Gruden coached five years in college, and one year as QC with the 49ers before coming to the Packers. Campen coached high school. More closely related work to evaluate Gruden on than Campen, in my opinion.

Sure, it can work, but not for everyone. Is anyone suggesting Campen as a future OC or head coach? As a guy that really has "it" as a coach? If they are, I haven't seen it. Gruden was a rising star from the beginning.

Then they gave Campen an assistant with virtually no coaching experience at all, and a bunch of rookies every year to develop into NFL caliber players.

Maybe it CAN work, and maybe it actually has in the past for others like Gruden. I suspect that might be the exception more than the rule.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2009, 02:49 PM
5. - Some insist Colledge is an LT masquerading as a LG. I've never been real comfortable banking on him at LT, long term. Looks like we might get the chance to find out, with Colledge preparing and playing there for a while.

I was impressed with Colledge in LT stints in the past.

I know Colledge and MM didn't talk about it much, but Colledge didn't practice during the week because of a bad foot. I don't know if this accounts for his problems blocking in space Sunday, but I'm withholding judgement.

Patler
09-21-2009, 02:56 PM

I know Colledge and MM didn't talk about it much, but Colledge didn't practice during the week because of a bad foot. I don't know if this accounts for his problems blocking in space Sunday, but I'm withholding judgement.

Like against Miami and Jason Taylor a couple years ago? :lol:

Seriously, I do recognize that this was a difficult situation for him, moving to LT in the middle of a game in a week in which he didn't practice much. With time to prepare, he should be better. Overall, I think the best that can be said for his play at LT so far is "inconsistent".

retailguy
09-21-2009, 02:58 PM

Like against Miami and Jason Taylor a couple years ago? :lol:

Seriously, I do recognize that this was a difficult situation for him, moving to LT in the middle of a game in a week in which he didn't practice much. With time to prepare, he should be better. Overall, I think the best that can be said for his play at LT so far is "inconsistent".

How about "adequate". :wink:

(you of course have to throw out the most recent performance as that was inadequate by any accepted standard) :D

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Let's give Cleveland our 1st and 3rd next year along with Barbie for Joe Thomas. Who's with me?

retailguy
09-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Let's give Cleveland our 1st and 3rd next year along with Barbie for Joe Thomas. Who's with me?

You might have better luck with just the 1st and the 3rd.... :P

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I just wanted to have one of those ridiculous trade posts out there. :lol:

Patler
09-21-2009, 03:56 PM

Should have sent Moll to them for Thomas. :lol:

retailguy
09-21-2009, 03:57 PM
I just wanted to have one of those ridiculous trade posts out there. :lol:

score! :wink:

retailguy
09-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Should have sent Moll to them for Thomas. :lol:

Ok, everyone chant on 3:

IF TED CAN'T DO IT, NOBODY CAN!

I can't hear you.... Let's try again.

IF TED CAN'T DO IT, NOBODY CAN!

that's better! :P

wist43
09-21-2009, 04:01 PM
I see some of you guys giving a pass to the coaching staff... I can't do that.

It is McCarthy, Philbin, and Campen that insist on having essentially one backup - Wells. If your LT goes down, put in your backup Center??? And besides, if Wells is your 6th best OL, what does that say about the rest of your backups???

MM and TT have, from the word go, been advocates of OL playing multiple positions; and, while having some flexibility is a good thing, it can't outweigh the continuity and consistency that can only come with players getting reps in one spot, and knowing how the guy next to them is going to react in a given situation.

Bouncing players from position to position has been the norm in Green Bay since MM arrived, and the OL has been crap more often than not - and its struggles have been particularly glaring at the beginning of each season - a testament to the fact that there is no continuity on the line, and that it takes them the better part of a season to get it dialed in.

Beyond that, I think it should have been fairly obvious that the OL would struggle out of the gate this year... Barbre looked brutal at times this preseason, and Sitton is a 1st year starter too. It is MM's responsibility to put together game plans that take that into account.

3 running plays for the entire 2nd half??? in a close game, is moronic. The game plan from the opening kickoff should be to establish the run, short rhythm passes, TE's up the seam, and then take the occassional shot. After a few games, assuming the OL comes together, gets comfortable, then open up the play book a little bit, but even then with an eye toward helping Barbre, i.e. TE's and Back's chipping or doubling, etc...

wist43
09-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Then there is TT... no position on the team exemplifies his philosophy of "build from within" more than the OL. He spent a 2nd rd pick on Colledge, and a 3rd rd pick on Spitz... but no FA's, and other than Colledge and Spitz, everybody else has essentially been a dart thrown at the board.

In short, the committment to building a top flight line simply isn't there in terms of financial committment to any FA's, or to high draft choices. It's tough to air it out, if your QB is on his back.

As for moving forward, I like Sitton, and I like Spitz at C... but Clifton's days at LT are numbered, and I don't see Colledge as being a full time LT; Barbre has a long way to go; and if you do move Colledge to LT, does that mean that Wells is your starting C again??? As I've maintained, any team that has Wells as their starting C is going to struggle up front.

sheepshead
09-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I have said this many times, but look at OL free agents and the shelf life of OL's. By the time you get one coming off a 3 or 4 year contract they are looking for 4-5 years of guarantees. No way. These guys (there are exceptions I know) just do not last that long. I am not saying dont look, but its very much a buyer beware situation. I am certain TT looks every year. But until you find that healthy diamond in the rough that has not been beat to crap, I'm with TT in keeping the fresh legs and backs in there and develop these guys.

wist43
09-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Don't get me wrong... I am an advocate of building from within. But at some point the OL deserves more attention than just throwing 86 6th round draft choices at it, and hoping that 3 of them turn into Hutchinson, Thomas, and Jones.

I agree... it is difficult to hit on FA OL. Would have to do some research so see who has turned out and who hasn't, but alas - I'm lazy :lol:

The Shadow
09-21-2009, 05:00 PM
As long as we can avoid DE's whose last names begin with 'O', we should be ok.

Bretsky
09-21-2009, 05:57 PM

AMEN AMEN AMEN

Why did we let that guy go anyways ? I often wonder.

Seems like the guy might have been strong willed...loud...and with an ego

But solid solid coach

Partial
09-21-2009, 06:00 PM

AMEN AMEN AMEN

Why did we let that guy go anyways ? I often wonder.

Seems like the guy might have been strong willed...loud...and with an ego

But solid solid coach

I could get behind this.

Bretsky
09-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Who let Larry B go ? If my memory is right it was MM who didn't hire him back. It would fit his initial profile of hiring yes sir coaches before fixing the mess last year

pbmax
09-21-2009, 06:20 PM
MM and TT have, from the word go, been advocates of OL playing multiple positions; and, while having some flexibility is a good thing, it can't outweigh the continuity and consistency that can only come with players getting reps in one spot, and knowing how the guy next to them is going to react in a given situation.

Bouncing players from position to position has been the norm in Green Bay since MM arrived, and the OL has been crap more often than not - and its struggles have been particularly glaring at the beginning of each season - a testament to the fact that there is no continuity on the line, and that it takes them the better part of a season to get it dialed in.
Except wist, had you been paying attention, the starters didn't move around AT ALL this preseason or camp. It was the same five in the same positions except for Wells and Spitz splitting time with the 1s at Center.

Sitton, Barbre, Colledge and Clifton didn't move. Spitz had some time at guard until after PS Game 2 when he won the battle for Center. Lang played 3 spots for a week, then only 2; Dietrich-Smith played 2 spots, Preston played 2 spots and Moll played LT almost exclusively.

Since you state that it takes less than a season to regain communication and continuity, that can't be the explanation. It does, however, explain the lack of a game ready backup LT.

pbmax
09-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Who let Larry B go ? If my memory is right it was MM who didn't hire him back. It would fit his initial profile of hiring yes sir coaches before fixing the mess last year
You don't know that he hired yes sir coaches. He hired Jags to run ZBS with Philbin. That was not Beightol's specialty.

And Beightol retired after a less than stellar one year with the Lions, for which he was fired.

Bretsky
09-21-2009, 06:41 PM
You don't know that he hired yes sir coaches. He hired Jags to run ZBS with Philbin. That was not Beightol's specialty.

And Beightol retired after a less than stellar one year with the Lions, for which he was fired.

I don't know anything :wink: just stating my views
Nottenheimer/Vanilla Bob....just guys he was comfy with

pbmax
09-21-2009, 06:46 PM

I don't know anything :wink: just stating my views
Nottenheimer/Vanilla Bob....just guys he was comfy with
I think Packer Update guy had it right. These were the kind of guys willing to commit to the unknown coach. His level of respect has gone up. Needs results now.

wist43
09-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Except wist, had you been paying attention, the starters didn't move around AT ALL this preseason or camp. It was the same five in the same positions except for Wells and Spitz splitting time with the 1s at Center.

Sitton, Barbre, Colledge and Clifton didn't move. Spitz had some time at guard until after PS Game 2 when he won the battle for Center. Lang played 3 spots for a week, then only 2; Dietrich-Smith played 2 spots, Preston played 2 spots and Moll played LT almost exclusively.

Since you state that it takes less than a season to regain communication and continuity, that can't be the explanation. It does, however, explain the lack of a game ready backup LT.

They've played 2 games... less than 2 games as a starting unit - of course that can serve as a partial explanation.

If history serves as an example... without doing any research, my recollection is that the OL didn't start to gel in any of the previous seasons of MM's patchwork approach until about week 8 or so.

Lot of factors contributing to the mess... but a mess it is.

mmmdk
09-21-2009, 07:28 PM

They've played 2 games... less than 2 games as a starting unit - of course that can serve as a partial explanation.

If history serves as an example... without doing any research, my recollection is that the OL didn't start to gel in any of the previous seasons of MM's patchwork approach until about week 8 or so.

Lot of factors contributing to the mess... but a mess it is.

Week 8 2006 win vs Cards: 203 yards rushing, 3 rush TDs, no sacks allowed.
Week 8 2007 win at Broncos: 105 yards rushing, 0 rush TDs, 1 sack allowed.
Week 8 2008: Open date
Week 9 2008 loss at Titans: 102 yards rushing, 0 rush TDs, 4 sacks allowed.
Week 8 2009 ? vs Vikings: ? yards rushing, ? rush TDs, ? sacks allowed.