PDA

View Full Version : Woodson = Hall of Fame player?

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
I sure think so. I don't know what his career stats look like, but he's been a dominant player in G.B. I think he's as good as Rod Woodson.

Cheesehead Craig
09-21-2009, 03:30 PM
He really has been reborn in GB. He's had 21 INTs in 3 yrs and 2 games here with 4 of them returned for TDs while here.

He's a solid tackler and supports the run well, which the voters will love.

The way he's going he's certainly making a very good case for the HOF.

mraynrand
09-21-2009, 03:33 PM
He doesn't have as many Superbowl appearances, wins and Superbowl MVPs as Kurt Warner. He doesn't have a chance. Unless the Packers....

Bossman641
09-21-2009, 03:44 PM
I love Woodson. He has exceeded my expectations ten times over from when we brought him in. I think the thing I have been most impressed with is his tackling. He is not afraid to get in there and mix it up a little bit. It was amazing how often he was bringin down Benson yesterday, doesn't say much for the rest of the defense though. :cry:

mraynrand
09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I love Woodson. He has exceeded my expectations ten times over from when we brought him in. I think the thing I have been most impressed with is his tackling. He is not afraid to get in there and mix it up a little bit. It was amazing how often he was bringin down Benson yesterday, doesn't say much for the rest of the defense though. :cry:

The corners and safeties were all top tacklers yesterday. That is a terrible indictment on the front seven. 77799774 was horrible.

FritzDontBlitz
09-21-2009, 04:18 PM

Mine, too, and I thought he was a great pickup at the time.

steve823
09-21-2009, 04:57 PM
After the horrible Bengal game I had t osee something positive so I watched this hah..woodson was and still is amazing.

/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zd7sTo-SOk

MadtownPacker
09-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Of course an idiot like Harlan will make this claim now years after the fact but you can go back to the old JSO threads and find my posts where I predicted the change of scenery (no smog and abundance of White girls) would make him strong again. Yes he is going HOF if he keeps it up.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2009, 05:26 PM
To me, he just stands out at the kid on the playground who is way better than everybody else. You don't see that often in the pros. Woodson is such a fluid athlete.

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 06:20 PM
To me, he just stands out at the kid on the playground who is way better than everybody else. You don't see that often in the pros. Woodson is such a fluid athlete.

QFT

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Of course an idiot like Harlan will make this claim now years after the fact but you can go back to the old JSO threads and find my posts where I predicted the change of scenery (no smog and abundance of White girls) would make him strong again. Yes he is going HOF if he keeps it up.

lol white broads and black pro athletes

Chevelle2
09-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Woodson is the best player on this team, and has been since 2007. He is the 3rd best player in this division, and the 3rd best corner in the league behind Scrabble and Revis.

Loved the signing when it happened, and I love it now.

mmmdk
09-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Woodson is a Packer; so I vote yes...he has a shot!

Does Sharper?...nah he's the Dan Quayle of football...Sharper might go to the HOFe... :lol:

MOBB DEEP
11-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I sure think so. I don't know what his career stats look like, but he's been a dominant player in G.B. I think he's as good as Rod Woodson.

AGREE

The Leaper
11-15-2009, 08:43 PM
HOF? Nah.

You have to be the BEST player at your position for a good portion of time. I'm not sure Woodson has ever been the best CB in the NFL at any point...although he's been an elite one for a very long time.

Look at LeRoy Butler. The guy was one of the 2 best at his position for 3-4 years, and he is probably not going to make the HOF.

Woodson will make the Packer HOF...which certainly isn't a bad consolation prize.

rbaloha1
11-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes. Sharper and Butler should also be there.

Desire to win reminds of Reggie White.

HarveyWallbangers
11-15-2009, 11:27 PM
HOF? Nah.

You have to be the BEST player at your position for a good portion of time. I'm not sure Woodson has ever been the best CB in the NFL at any point...although he's been an elite one for a very long time.

Look at LeRoy Butler. The guy was one of the 2 best at his position for 3-4 years, and he is probably not going to make the HOF.

Woodson will make the Packer HOF...which certainly isn't a bad consolation prize.

You could make the argument that Woodson has been one of the two best corners in the league over the last 2 1/2 years. He also had some darn good years in Oakland where he was near the top.

Smidgeon
11-15-2009, 11:50 PM
HOF? Nah.

You could make the argument that Woodson has been one of the two best corners in the league over the last 2 1/2 years. He also had some darn good years in Oakland where he was near the top.

Agreed. Also, in Oakland, he wasn't exactly tested. Compared to whomever was starting opposite him. If I were a QB playing Oakland back in the day, I wouldn't throw to his side either. But his career has just spiked since coming to GB. Spiked!

SnakeLH2006
11-16-2009, 12:12 AM
It's rare a CB can be so dominant to "will" games with amazing skills and ballhawking skills seemingly on a weekly basis. Deion. Rod Woodson, Night Train Lane, a few others.

Woodson is just amazing with what he does to help this team win. He's fearless, makes HUGE plays (massive production from the CB spot), and is definitely a HUGE leader for this young team.

bobblehead
11-16-2009, 02:33 AM
which makes me ask over and over again....why are QB's throwing at him more than they do Al Harris?

Tyrone Bigguns
11-16-2009, 04:29 AM
HOF? Nah.

Look at butler? Couldn't pick a worse comparison.

Butler isn't going in 4 the same reason sterling isn't in.

mission
11-16-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm sorry but Woodson is way more dynamic of a player than Leroy Butler.

Nothing against Butler but let's not let nostalgia cloud our judgement in this case...

Smidgeon
11-16-2009, 08:43 AM
which makes me ask over and over again....why are QB's throwing at him more than they do Al Harris?

I think Woodson takes more chances than Harris. It's rare for those chances to result in a long completion, but I think QBs see that and think "I'll be the one that exploits that risk taking". Harris just doesn't leave any tempting holes. I think Woodson does, and that's what makes him so good. He baits QBs over and over and over and over...and they keep going for it.

MichiganPackerFan
11-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Agreed. Also, in Oakland, he wasn't exactly tested. Compared to whomever was starting opposite him. If I were a QB playing Oakland back in the day, I wouldn't throw to his side either. But his career has just spiked since coming to GB. Spiked!

Al Harris is like an offensive lineman: you never hear his name unless he screws up (typically a 15 yard penalty or illegal hands). Otherwise, he's so tight in coverage no one can throw at him.

MOBB DEEP
11-17-2009, 10:37 AM
I fell in love with CWood when he was with Mich...still envision him with the rose in his mouth out in cali

MOBB DEEP
11-17-2009, 10:39 AM

Al Harris is like an offensive lineman: you never hear his name unless he screws up (typically a 15 yard penalty or illegal hands). Otherwise, he's so tight in coverage no one can throw at him.

Hate to burst bubble but on a few key plays he was out of position vs the queens. love him tho

MichiganPackerFan
11-17-2009, 12:15 PM

Hate to burst bubble but on a few key plays he was out of position vs the queens. love him tho

Can't do it! (at least no more than I can burst your Farvle!!) :D

MOBB DEEP
11-18-2009, 09:09 AM
:wink:

red
11-18-2009, 11:20 AM
hof depends on how much longer he plays

his chances are hurt by all the time he missed in oakland

i'd say he has a shot if he can keep it up for a few more years

SnakeLH2006
11-19-2009, 11:55 PM
hof depends on how much longer he plays

his chances are hurt by all the time he missed in oakland

i'd say he has a shot if he can keep it up for a few more years

Yep...it's true. His stats in GB are eye-popping stats wise and as a beast leader, but he was gone for about 4 seasons in Oakland. He needs to play at least 3 more years at his Packer level....but he'll be there in the HOF as Packer I hope. He's only 31 or 32 and locked in on a long-term 7 year deal. Thanks TT! Snake loves some Wood (only my own and that guy's named Charles). :lol:

Smidgeon
11-20-2009, 06:05 AM
[B]ut he'll be there in the HOF as Packer I hope.

You don't go into the NFL hall of fame as a member of any team. You just get in.

SnakeLH2006
11-20-2009, 01:51 PM
But he'll be there in the HOF as Packer I hope.

You don't go into the NFL hall of fame as a member of any team. You just get in.

Thanks for the heads up, bro. Guess I didn't know that.

Smidgeon
11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
But he'll be there in the HOF as Packer I hope.

Thanks for the heads up, bro. Guess I didn't know that.

It's different that other sports. I think baseball and basketball both require you to declare a team. But I absolutely agree that Woodson's biggest impact in the NFL has been in GB rather than Oakland.

red
11-26-2009, 03:20 PM
today might have been the type of day that gets woodson in

his awesome feel good story is everywhere, even the top story on the yahoo homepage.

then with the whole football world watching he goes out and has another of his huge days

type of day voters will remember down the road

Fosco33
11-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Modern era HOF CBs:

Mike Haynes
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=90
14 years - 46 INTs for 2 TDs

Jimmy Johnson
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=105
16 years (14/yr) - 47 INTS for 2 TDs

Darrell Green
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=273
20 years (16/yr) - 54 INTS for 6 TDs

Lem Barney
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=19
11 years (14/yr) - 56 INTS for 7 TDs

Dick Lane
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=120
14 years - 68 INTs for 5 TDs

Willie Brown
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=36
16 years - 54 INTs for 2 TDs

Emmitt Thomas
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=270
13 years - 58 INTs for 5 TDs

Mel Blount
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=30
14 years - 57 INTs for 2 TDs

Herb Adderley (of course!)
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=9
11 years - 48 INTs for 7 TDs

Average:
12.5 years; 54 INTs, 4 TDs

WOODSON (playing opposite a good CB in Al Harris - 12years, 21 INTs, 3 TDs)

11.5 years (and counting); 43 INTs and 8 TDs

HOF candidate for sure - if he plays another year or so it's easy. There are 3 in the HOF in the mid 40s for interceptions - and (right now) he has more TDs than anyone in Canton!

red
11-26-2009, 04:16 PM
those numbers, and woodson has missed major time in his career

and i don't think those numbers include todays game

45 int's, and 9 td's

red
11-26-2009, 04:19 PM
get this, woodson is now tied for second all time for int's returned for tds with 3 other guys

rod woodson holds the record with 12

Fosco33
11-26-2009, 04:23 PM
those numbers, and woodson has missed major time in his career

and i don't think those numbers include todays game

45 int's, and 9 td's

I included today... and only counted CBs (so 42/8). He has more TDs than any HOF cornerback.

The whole 14 vs. 16 argument is mute with the games he's missed...

SnakeLH2006
11-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the good stats, Fosco. I didn't realize his numbers were that good already in not even 12 years (several hurt), but the one award he was robbed of was the Golden Gobbler today...Driver was great, but Woodson was better:

6 tackles, 1 sack, 2 INts, 1 Td, 1 forced fumble. Beastman.

Smidgeon
11-27-2009, 12:47 PM
6 tackles, 1 sack, 2 INts, 1 Td, 1 forced fumble. Beastman.

7 tackles, 1 fumble recovered as well.

woodbuck27
11-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Woodson is the best player on this team, and has been since 2007. He is the 3rd best player in this division, and the 3rd best corner in the league behind Scrabble and Revis.

Loved the signing when it happened, and I love it now.

Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson or flip em.

then Charles Woodson? OK.

Fosco33
01-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Bump

red
01-03-2010, 04:41 PM
yes

yes he is

Charles Woodson
01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
so does that mean Woodson holds the record for most ints returned for tds?

Fosco33
01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
so does that mean Woodson holds the record for most ints returned for tds?

He broke the record for CBs when he got 8 (so yeah, he broke his own record).

I think the NFL lumps CBs and Safeties together so there are a few Safeties that have more TDs.