PDA

View Full Version : Truth/Rumors: Lelie, Chris Brown, CBA footnote

Fosco33
07-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I thought these were very interesting today:

Disgruntled receiver Ashley Lelie's agent, Peter Schaffer, said a trade could happen soon. The teams Denver has talked to are believed to include Chicago, Baltimore, San Francisco, Philadelphia and New England. Schaffer praised the Broncos for trying to accommodate Lelie's request. -- Denver Post

Why isn't GB on that list?

Running back Chris Brown has demanded a trade from the Titans. Could the former University of Colorado athlete be headed back to Colorado as a Denver Bronco? -- Rocky Mountain News

Come on Brown, Madtown and Boulder are one in the same!

A barely noticed agreement last week between the NFL and the NFL Players Association may be little more than a footnote when the new collective bargaining agreement is signed, but it has forced a major alteration in how Patriots wide receiver Deion Branch will approach his search for a contract extension. A CBA term was agreed upon that raises the fine for a signed player holding out during camp from $5,000 to $14,000 a day. -- Boston Globe

Interesting.... should force negotiations to go a little quicker now.

Tarvaris Jackson, a second-round draft choice from Division I-AA Alabama State, demonstrated enough physical skills and athletic ability during offseason practices to suggest that he could develop into the Vikings' quarterback of the future. Mike McMahon will open training camp as the first line of defense behind Brad Johnson, with journeyman J.T. O'Sullivan and Jackson the other quarterbacks on the roster. -- St. Paul Pioneer Press

Speculation sure - but having another good QB at MN could be a bummer - unless you're a troll.

Tony Oday
07-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Tavaris Jackson is by no stretch of kool aid drinking for viking fans close to starting or even playing at the nfl level. He is a major project that should take anywhere from3-5 years to even see where he is!

Rastak
07-24-2006, 05:10 PM
I thought these were very interesting today:

Disgruntled receiver Ashley Lelie's agent, Peter Schaffer, said a trade could happen soon. The teams Denver has talked to are believed to include Chicago, Baltimore, San Francisco, Philadelphia and New England. Schaffer praised the Broncos for trying to accommodate Lelie's request. -- Denver Post

Why isn't GB on that list?

Running back Chris Brown has demanded a trade from the Titans. Could the former University of Colorado athlete be headed back to Colorado as a Denver Bronco? -- Rocky Mountain News

Come on Brown, Madtown and Boulder are one in the same!

A barely noticed agreement last week between the NFL and the NFL Players Association may be little more than a footnote when the new collective bargaining agreement is signed, but it has forced a major alteration in how Patriots wide receiver Deion Branch will approach his search for a contract extension. A CBA term was agreed upon that raises the fine for a signed player holding out during camp from $5,000 to $14,000 a day. -- Boston Globe

Interesting.... should force negotiations to go a little quicker now.

Tarvaris Jackson, a second-round draft choice from Division I-AA Alabama State, demonstrated enough physical skills and athletic ability during offseason practices to suggest that he could develop into the Vikings' quarterback of the future. Mike McMahon will open training camp as the first line of defense behind Brad Johnson, with journeyman J.T. O'Sullivan and Jackson the other quarterbacks on the roster. -- St. Paul Pioneer Press

Speculation sure - but having another good QB at MN could be a bummer - unless you're a troll.

A bummer? Not at all!

:wink:

Fosco33
07-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Anyone else pissed that we're not trying for Lelie or Brown? Both aren't great players but likely upgrades vs our current players/potentials...

MJZiggy
07-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Perhaps TT is shying away from players who demand trades?

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Anyone else pissed that we're not trying for Lelie or Brown? Both aren't great players but likely upgrades vs our current players/potentials...

Not really. While both players likely would be an upgrade, they are both disgruntled and soft. Brown is a big guy that gets injured a lot. Lelie is a big guy who is afraid to go across the middle.

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2006, 09:50 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-07-19-nfl-report_x.htm?csp=34

The agent for disgruntled Broncos receiver Ashley Lelie says seven teams, including the Eagles, Jaguars, Packers, Chiefs and Chargers, have expressed interest in his client. Peter Schaffer all but ruled out Lelie's return to Denver. Lelie has indicated he will sit out the season rather than play for the Broncos. "Everybody realizes a fresh start would be in everybody's best interest," Schaffer said.

I wouldn't give up more than a 4th for him. Lelie + 2nd round pick (turned into 5 draft picks) for Walker + 4th round pick seems a lot more manageable. I don't think it will happen though. You'd have to sign Lelie to a long-term contract to make it worthwhile, and I don't know how well that would go over on the team--after team was unwilling to budge on Walker's contract.

privatepacker
07-25-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't think TT has much interest in either player. Brown has been hurt quite a bit (Davenport come to mind) and Lelie probably would be like Walker once and if he has a big year. I keep looking at Clevland as a possible source for a RB.(Suggs or Green) I have no idea where we'll get any WRs.

Spaulding
07-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Given the fact that Lelie has never produced and an attitude I think Thompson was smart in steering clear and seeing what we've got with players already signed. We have enough players that were high draft choices and have potential written all over them (Gardner, Ferguson) that continually disappoint and two young receivers (Jennings, Rogers) to develop that makes signing a potential cancer like Lelie a damaging proposition.

With regard to Brown though, although he has an injury history the guy flat out produces when healthy and I think would be insurance should Green continue to show that last years decline was for real and not just a bad injury riddled season. I just don't feel comfortable with "three games a year Davenport" and sophomore Gado who has looked horrid so far in the new zone system. Herron is intriguing but has nowhere near the natural talent of Brown.

Thompson obviously has the best information on how Green is doing and I think if there is any doubt about his healthy return by the beginning of the season that he needs to seriously consider bringing Brown in for a look.

This then leads to the question what would we have to give up in compensation for him. The Titans appear comfortable with their WR corps and DL as well as RB and QB situation which begs what could we possibly offer outside of draft picks to make a trade happen. With that being said I think it's a moot deal as no way do I see Thompson giving up a draft pick for Brown.

Partial
07-25-2006, 10:53 AM

Nope. Brown maybe, but definitely not Lelie. He was a combine wonder. I remember reading his draft diary on ESPN and I kept thinking to myself no way do I want this guy.

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 11:14 AM
No to Lelie . . .but by all means T2 has to take a close look at the possible availabilty of RB Chris Brown.

Chris Brown has had only three seasons in the NFL, all with the Titans and hit his 26th year in April/06. So he has experience, skill and youth on his resume.

Chris Brown has played in 37 games and started in 25 of them.

As a runner he is solid if not spectacular. Chris brown gained 2139 yards in 500 touches or a solid 4.3 yard average and 11 TD's.

As a receiver:

53 catch's for 535 yards (10.1 yard avg.) and 2 TD's.

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 11:20 AM
July 25, 2006

STAYING PUT: Chris Brown’s trade request last week apparently fell on deaf ears where the Titans are concerned.

“Chris is one of ours,” Reese said of the running back, who is in the final year of his contract. “I haven’t talked to anyone about trading him.”

Brown’s agents Ryan Morgan and Wynn Silberman had been trying to pry Brown free in a trade, rather than have him be part of Tennessee’s three-pronged attack with White and Travis Henry.

Fosco33
07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
More rumors...

The Broncos have been in contact with the Bears about trading disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie, who skipped the team's offseason program, including a mandatory minicamp. -- Chicago Sun-Times

The Bears, come on......

If the Redskins decide to keep David Patten, that leaves Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd, Antwaan Randle El and special teams ace James Thrash on the active roster. But Taylor Jacobs could survive with a solid camp and if Patten attracts trade interest from a team desperate for a second or third receiver. -- Washington Times

Do we qualify as desperate yet? I'd don't like Patten - too old and his performance is questionable. Still interesting though...

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 10:49 AM
More rumors...

The Broncos have been in contact with the Bears about trading disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie, who skipped the team's offseason program, including a mandatory minicamp. -- Chicago Sun-Times

The Bears, come on......

If the Redskins decide to keep David Patten, that leaves Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd, Antwaan Randle El and special teams ace James Thrash on the active roster. But Taylor Jacobs could survive with a solid camp and if Patten attracts trade interest from a team desperate for a second or third receiver. -- Washington Times

Do we qualify as desperate yet? I'd don't like Patten - too old and his performance is questionable. Still interesting though...

I agree that David Patten isn't a response from T2 that we need.

T2 has to be locked into finding us help for the OL as a first priority, and also looking to upgrade at RB before WR now.

Come On T2 ! Get it done.

Partial
07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
If the Redskins decide to keep David Patten, that leaves Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd, Antwaan Randle El and special teams ace James Thrash on the active roster. But Taylor Jacobs could survive with a solid camp and if Patten attracts trade interest from a team desperate for a second or third receiver. -- Washington Times.

Not to hijack a thread, but when the hell are teams going to learn to stop taking florida receivers high?

Taylor Jacobs - bust
Travis Taylor - bust
Ike Hilliard - bust
Jabar Gaffney - bust
Jaquez Green - bust

and thats just off the top of my head, I am sure there are more. Christ, I would never, ever draft a player from florida. The only success story off the top of my head that I can think of is Kearse, they bust qbs and receivers like nobody's business!!

Bossman641
07-26-2006, 11:07 AM
If the Redskins decide to keep David Patten, that leaves Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd, Antwaan Randle El and special teams ace James Thrash on the active roster. But Taylor Jacobs could survive with a solid camp and if Patten attracts trade interest from a team desperate for a second or third receiver. -- Washington Times.

Not to hijack a thread, but when the hell are teams going to learn to stop taking florida receivers high?

Taylor Jacobs - bust
Travis Taylor - bust
Ike Hilliard - bust
Jabar Gaffney - bust
Jaquez Green - bust

and thats just off the top of my head, I am sure there are more. Christ, I would never, ever draft a player from florida. The only success story off the top of my head that I can think of is Kearse, they bust qbs and receivers like nobody's business!!

Nonsense Partial, Don't you know that Grossman is a great QB and he came from Florida? The Bear fans claim it so it MUST be true. His stats are already Hall-worthy.

Fosco33
07-26-2006, 11:34 AM

Taylor Jacobs - bust
Travis Taylor - bust
Ike Hilliard - bust
Jabar Gaffney - bust
Jaquez Green - bust

Nonsense Partial, Don't you know that Grossman is a great QB and he came from Florida? The Bear fans claim it so it MUST be true. His stats are already Hall-worthy.

:lol:

Good stuff guys.

Zool
07-26-2006, 11:38 AM

Taylor Jacobs - bust
Travis Taylor - bust
Ike Hilliard - bust
Jabar Gaffney - bust
Jaquez Green - bust

I hope youre wrong about all players from Florida.
Marquand Manuel is a Gator.

Partial
07-26-2006, 01:45 PM

Taylor Jacobs - bust
Travis Taylor - bust
Ike Hilliard - bust
Jabar Gaffney - bust
Jaquez Green - bust

Normally i'd dispute this, but I actually like Grossmen. He's a gunslinger with some nads. He just cannot stay healthy. In my opinion, he was not your typical Florida quarterback.

Partial
07-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I hope youre wrong about all players from Florida.
Marquand Manuel is a Gator.

Then I hope I am too!

Fosco33
07-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Lions receivers Carlos Rogers and Mike Williams will be competing with Roy Williams, Corey Bradford, Mike Furrey, Scottie Vines, Glenn Martinez and Eddie Drummond. And not just for playing time. For roster spots. President Matt Millen insisted the Lions could cut Rogers or Williams, regardless of draft status, financial commitment or salary-cap implications. -- Detroit Free Press

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Lions receivers Carlos Rogers and Mike Williams will be competing with Roy Williams, Corey Bradford, Mike Furrey, Scottie Vines, Glenn Martinez and Eddie Drummond. And not just for playing time. For roster spots. President Matt Millen insisted the Lions could cut Rogers or Williams, regardless of draft status, financial commitment or salary-cap implications. -- Detroit Free Press

We are watching that one - that's for certain.

I don't believe we are lickin' OUR lips though - or are we?

K-town
07-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Normally i'd dispute this, but I actually like Grossmen. He's a gunslinger with some nads. He just cannot stay healthy. In my opinion, he was not your typical Florida quarterback.

This just in - Rex Grossman will be on the PUP until at least mid-season with a severely infected hangnail.
Or maybe it was a sprained mangina (props to Eddie Griffin). :mrgreen:

Spaulding
07-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Partial, I agree with you 100% on the Florida receiver bust syndrome which makes me wonder why all the Packer fans were clamoring for Chad Jackson. That guy has potential and continued disappointment written all over him.

Only time will tell but I'm willing to wager the all mighty six pack of beer that Jennings is a better player his first couple of seasons.

Fosco33
07-28-2006, 01:33 PM
The Broncos have held initial discussions with the Bears regarding a Ashley Lelie swap for disgruntled running back Thomas Jones.
-- Denver Post

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 01:58 PM
The Broncos have held initial discussions with the Bears regarding a Ashley Lelie swap for disgruntled running back Thomas Jones.
-- Denver Post

Mike Shanahan! Ehh!

That man is a sharpie always on " the hustle " as a solid GM.