PDA

View Full Version : What's so Pittsburgh about McCarthy?

mmmdk
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Is the Pittsburgh way:

Loads of team penalties - season after season?

Lack of preperation...or fundamentals as McCarthy puts it?

3rd and 1 = 0 yards?

Is "fix it" the Pittsburgh motto?

Is the 3-4 as easy as 1-2-3?

Does the Pittsburgh way emphasize winning the battle of the trenches?

Is McCarthy all or any of that? I say no! Maybe the 3-4, in time and with the right personel (mostly DL) as Dom has the reigns there.

So what is McCarthy then or is he really Pittsburgh reincarnated in Green Bay?

Sure TT hired McCarthy but this ain't about TT; that's another thread.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2009, 01:19 PM
What's so Pittsburgh about McCarthy?

His body type?

mraynrand
09-22-2009, 01:31 PM
So Stubby lost a game. So did Pittsburgh. The sun came up today, didn't it?

ThunderDan
09-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Do we want McCarthy to be Pittsburg???

I thought we were running the WCO.

Green Bay has its own traditions and history. Let's try to be the Packers and not the Steelers!!

denverYooper
09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Is the Pittsburgh way:

Pen Rank
06 Offense - Pitt 69 31
06 Offense - GB 90 20
06 Defense - Pitt 104 9
06 Defense - GB 97 12
07 Offense - Pitt 80 24
07 Offense - GB 113 4
07 Defense - Pitt 73 30
07 Defense - GB 118 1
08 Offense - Pitt 95 12
08 Offense - GB 110 2
08 Defense - Pitt 91 12
08 Defense - GB 89 14

We had more penalties in 2007 on both sides of the ball, but we also made it to the NFCG with a 13-3 record. Pittsburgh, 10-6 that year, got beat in the WC round.

In '06 and '08, we had more offensive penalties than Pittsburgh and less defensive penalties. Pittsburgh's team identity is built around having a tough D. Our team is predicated on a (hopefully) high rolling offense.

Interestingly, our team under McCarthy has scored more points when they've had more offensive penalties:
penalties points for
2006 90 301
2007 113 435
2008 110 419

And given up less points when they've had more defensive penalties:
penalties points against
2006 97 366
2007 118 291
2008 89 380

Maybe penalties are a proxy for their effort level under M3. It does seem that they were good last year at getting penalties during crucial times, but maybe those just stick out more.

3rd and 1 = 0 yards?

When it comes to the offensive line, it should be. Unfortunately for Big Ben.

Nope. In fact, I thought it was supposed to take us a year+ to really transition.

Not WRT the offensive line.

Is McCarthy all or any of that? I say no! Maybe the 3-4, in time and with the right personel (mostly DL) as Dom has the reigns there.

I think his model is a mixture. You can argue Pittsburgh for the D. But that's rational, because they are perennial heavies there. On offense, though, I think he's devising his own wco-based system.

CaptainKickass
09-22-2009, 03:55 PM
So I'm playing my traditional post-loss, post-actual game of Madden (I do this to cheer myself up after a loss because I know I can win). I'm playing against the Been-Gals, and winning the game, and what do my ears behold? My madden version of the Pack is the LEAST penalized team in the NFL.

I know the 2 games are vastly different, but still...that was irony.

swede
09-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Being a fan of any major football program is, by nature, a vicarious fantasy. Though we may not admit it, we behave as if our attentions and spiritual energy will psychically make a difference in the outcomes of contests being played by men who do not know us on fields many miles away. We have a few posters who claim the moral high ground of dispassionate interest, but they are rare denizens in ethereal gardens such as this. I am here to represent the kindred spirits who fill the cosmos with the yin and yang of sports hysteria as we swing from delirious joy to heart-rending anguish over stupid football games.

Given that, I claim the right to say that it pisses me off that Mike McCarthy's sideline demeanor has seemed nervous and afraid rather than confident and steely. I want steely confidence from the head coach! The opponents are smelling the stink of fear on him from across the field and it makes them strong.

Cleft Crusty
09-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Being a fan of any major football program is, by nature, a vicarious fantasy. We have a few posters who claim the moral high ground of dispassionate interest, but they are rare denizens in ethereal gardens such as this.
Given that, I claim the right to say that it pisses me off that Mike McCarthy's sideline demeanor has seemed nervous and afraid rather than confident and steely. I want steely confidence from the head coach! The opponents are smelling the stink of fear on him from across the field and it makes them strong.

It amazes me that anyone actually gets emotionally involved in the outcome of these games. Why would you care unless you participated. I care infinitely more about crushing the life out of my grandchildren in our basketball games. Even though they are only 4 and 6, they need to learn the pain of defeat and domination even if it's just a plastic Little Tikes(TM) basket, so they can understand competition and grow up to be successful in a ruthless world.

Still, Swede, what gives you the special insight of knowing what the demeanor of McCarthy is? You have got to be joking - as if anyone can tell over the tube. Were you on the sidelines the entire game? Did you interact with McCarthy? How could you or any other know-nothing fan possibly have an accurate view of McCarthy's demeanor?

Scott Campbell
09-22-2009, 05:04 PM

Should he look more like this?

http://thegooley.com/image/thumb/250-250/1003354.jpg

mngolf19
09-22-2009, 05:10 PM

I'd go with the picture of him sleeping at the combine. :)

Bossman641
09-22-2009, 05:11 PM

A little bit of this would be nice

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0306/nfl_a_sapp_sherman_600.jpg

mraynrand
09-22-2009, 07:00 PM
What you did was wrong!

swede
09-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Well, Sherm had a way about him. I think he frequently stole a tempo from the opposing team in his own professorial way. The head coach from the other team would take one look at him and, rather than focus on the game, he'd call up to his DC in the press box:

"Bill--you got your binoculars handy?"

"Sure."

"Take a look at Sherman over there... has he gained another 15 pounds since the combines?"

"Naw...it's just the way he wears his sweatshirt. He stuffs it with charts and binders and shit."

"He looks fat to me."

"Portly maybe, but I wouldn't...aw SHIT! What the hell was THAT? HOW DOES DRIVER GET THAT OPEN?"

swede
09-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Swede, what gives you the special insight of knowing what the demeanor of McCarthy is? You have got to be joking - as if anyone can tell over the tube. Were you on the sidelines the entire game? Did you interact with McCarthy? How could you or any other know-nothing fan possibly have an accurate view of McCarthy's demeanor?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/sunrise_meditate.jpg

Perception is the only coin that spends in the wallet of reality.

mmmdk
09-22-2009, 07:47 PM
So Stubby lost a game. So did Pittsburgh. The sun came up today, didn't it?

There is no referance to last sunday in my post.

mmmdk
09-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Is the Pittsburgh way:

Pen Rank
06 Offense - Pitt 69 31
06 Offense - GB 90 20
06 Defense - Pitt 104 9
06 Defense - GB 97 12
07 Offense - Pitt 80 24
07 Offense - GB 113 4
07 Defense - Pitt 73 30
07 Defense - GB 118 1
08 Offense - Pitt 95 12
08 Offense - GB 110 2
08 Defense - Pitt 91 12
08 Defense - GB 89 14

We had more penalties in 2007 on both sides of the ball, but we also made it to the NFCG with a 13-3 record. Pittsburgh, 10-6 that year, got beat in the WC round.

In '06 and '08, we had more offensive penalties than Pittsburgh and less defensive penalties. Pittsburgh's team identity is built around having a tough D. Our team is predicated on a (hopefully) high rolling offense.

Interestingly, our team under McCarthy has scored more points when they've had more offensive penalties:
penalties points for
2006 90 301
2007 113 435
2008 110 419

And given up less points when they've had more defensive penalties:
penalties points against
2006 97 366
2007 118 291
2008 89 380

Maybe penalties are a proxy for their effort level under M3. It does seem that they were good last year at getting penalties during crucial times, but maybe those just stick out more.

3rd and 1 = 0 yards?

When it comes to the offensive line, it should be. Unfortunately for Big Ben.

Nope. In fact, I thought it was supposed to take us a year+ to really transition.

Not WRT the offensive line.

I think his model is a mixture. You can argue Pittsburgh for the D. But that's rational, because they are perennial heavies there. On offense, though, I think he's devising his own wco-based system.

Thanx, DenverYooper, that was a great reply.

Cleft Crusty
09-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Swede, what gives you the special insight of knowing what the demeanor of McCarthy is? You have got to be joking - as if anyone can tell over the tube. Were you on the sidelines the entire game? Did you interact with McCarthy? How could you or any other know-nothing fan possibly have an accurate view of McCarthy's demeanor?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/sunrise_meditate.jpg

Perception is the only coin that spends in the wallet of reality.

If you looked in Clefty's wallet, you would see Clefty can't afford much reality.

gex
09-22-2009, 09:13 PM

That was a chicken-shit hit. punk-ass!

gex
09-22-2009, 11:20 PM

That was a chicken-shit hit. punk-ass!

I honestly thought that was a great and noble thing that Sherman did.

GrnBay007
09-22-2009, 11:31 PM

Me too! I think he won a lot of respect at that moment...as a coach who cared about his players.

Funny. Until this pic was posted I never noticed the hands around his midsection holding him back....lol

Zool
09-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Funny. Until this pic was posted I never noticed the hands around his midsection holding him back....lol

He forgot his girdle that day. Something had to "hold him back".

MOBB DEEP
09-23-2009, 06:35 PM

Me too! I think he won a lot of respect at that moment...as a coach who cared about his players.

QFT...smooches double o

MOBB DEEP
09-23-2009, 06:36 PM
What's so Pittsburgh about McCarthy?

His body type?

Hilarious u bastard

pbmax
09-23-2009, 06:41 PM
His accent.

Partial
09-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Pittsburgh isn't even playing to the traditional Pitt style. They ranked 21stish in rushing last year. Bottom 3rd of the league. Gotta play to your strengths, and they have a dynamo at QB. That said, we have to run more to balance. We've gotta be like 30th right now. I can't imagine us being any higher as we basically never run.