PDA

View Full Version : JAMON MEREDITH GONE!

gbpackfan
09-22-2009, 02:38 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/09/22/bills-to-sign-meredith-from-packers-practice-squad/

The Bills have signed Meredith to their active roster.

Noodle
09-22-2009, 02:43 PM
From TT's perspective, we're flush at OL, so it's all good.

Two rooks starting on the OL for the Bills? Man, if they hold up ok, then that really puts the spotlight on our guys -- why can't they man up?

Coaching?

Talent?

?

gbpackfan
09-22-2009, 02:54 PM
TT has refused to spend any high round picks on a real tackle. Now we need a LT and a RT of the future. The interior of the line is fine IMO. But our bookends suck balls. Barbie seemed to improve from game 1 to game 2 so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But LT is a real problem. Aaron is going to get killed. And I dont blame Colledge. He is a G not a T! This is all on TT. Not having a singe reserve at LT is unforgiveable.

packers11
09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
After that performance from the offensive line on sunday, im surprised the packers didn't move his ass up... From what I heard he was extremely raw in training camp, but I wouldn't have mind seeing him get a shot...

Pugger
09-22-2009, 03:32 PM
If he couldn't beat out the stiffs already on this line do you think he'll be any better? :roll: Anybody know how Cliffy is doing today?

gbpackfan
09-22-2009, 03:33 PM
If he couldn't beat out the stiffs already on this line do you think he'll be any better? :roll: Anybody know how Cliffy is doing today?

He couldn't have been any worse! 5 sacks given up to Odom. FIVE!!!!! :evil:

red
09-22-2009, 04:12 PM
how in the fuck do we let this guy go?

we desperately need him now the clifton is banged up

we don't have enough bodies for the o-line right now

TT and MM really dropped the ball on this one IMO

ThunderDan
09-22-2009, 04:20 PM
how in the fuck do we let this guy go?

we desperately need him now the clifton is banged up

we don't have enough bodies for the o-line right now

TT and MM really dropped the ball on this one IMO

Who would you have taken off of the active roster to make space? You can't cut Collins, Bigby and Clifton because they are injuried, other teams would pick them up. You can't put them on the IR because they are done for the season. We are really down to a 50 person roster. 49 if you count Raji at the moment. Maybe get rid of one of the three FBs?

red
09-22-2009, 04:27 PM
we have 3 fullbacks

and jerrett bush is still on the damn team

you cut a fullback, and not the rookie with potential. the other two are there for special teams. screw special teams, they aren't playing special and we have much larger issues on offense and defense

red
09-22-2009, 04:29 PM
BTW

get that rookie fullback in the game. we could use another blocker in there

and he's a hammer

gbpackfan
09-22-2009, 04:31 PM
I agree about Johnson. The FBs were pretty crappy in the running game on Sunday.

CaptainKickass
09-22-2009, 04:36 PM
I agree about Johnson. The FBs were pretty crappy in the running game on Sunday.

We had a running game on Sunday?

Scott Campbell
09-22-2009, 04:44 PM
I guess its a good sign that other teams think our practice squad guys are worthy of their roster spots.

ThunderDan
09-22-2009, 04:46 PM
we have 3 fullbacks

and jerrett bush is still on the damn team

you cut a fullback, and not the rookie with potential. the other two are there for special teams. screw special teams, they aren't playing special and we have much larger issues on offense and defense

That's why I posed the question about the 3 FBs. Do you let one go?

As much as I hate Bush with Collins and Bigby most likely out and Rouse hurt we need him on the roster. I can't believe I just wrote that about Bush.

Waldo
09-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Did anybody ever see anything out of Meredith to make you believe "he can play LT at this level".

I mean, Moll was twice the LT that Meredith was.

falco
09-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I guess its a good sign that other teams think our practice squad guys are worthy of their roster spots.

In all honesty, I think TT has put together a very good team. It's the coach I'm starting to be concerned about.

red
09-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Did anybody ever see anything out of Meredith to make you believe "he can play LT at this level".

I mean, Moll was twice the LT that Meredith was.

i honestly haven't seen much out of any of our linemen other then clifton a few years back, that make me think any of them can play tackle at the pro level

pbmax
09-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Johnson struggled some in blitz pickup. Might not be the wisest move right now. Though Hall whiffed completely for one sack. McGinn said it was John Kuhn the rest of the way.

Bretsky
09-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Perhaps Meredith would develop, but he was way short of solid in the preseason

Gunakor
09-23-2009, 04:33 AM
TT has refused to spend any high round picks on a real tackle. Now we need a LT and a RT of the future. The interior of the line is fine IMO. But our bookends suck balls. Barbie seemed to improve from game 1 to game 2 so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But LT is a real problem. Aaron is going to get killed. And I dont blame Colledge. He is a G not a T! This is all on TT. Not having a singe reserve at LT is unforgiveable.

How many teams do you think there are that have a guy using up a roster spot on gameday that is listed as the backup LT and can only play LT?

Colledge was the reserve at LT. He got abused by a Pro Bowl DE in a game where he hasn't taken any reps at LT leading up to it. It happens. So while you give Barbre the benefit of the doubt considering improvement from week 1 to week 2, at least afford Colledge the same benefit. Wait until week 3 to determine whether or not he can play tackle, after he's actually had a week to practice at the position.

Gunakor
09-23-2009, 04:38 AM
BTW

and he's a hammer

I agree in the sense that we've been running between the tackles (when we've been running at all), but such a move would take deception out of the game. QJ can't pass block, and he's not going to catch any passes, so if the opposing defense sees him in the game they can key on him to find the ball carrier. Because, obviously, if he's in he's the lead blocker on a running play. It's not too hard to figure out where the play is going.

Waldo
09-23-2009, 06:43 AM
BTW

and he's a hammer

I agree in the sense that we've been running between the tackles (when we've been running at all), but such a move would take deception out of the game. QJ can't pass block, and he's not going to catch any passes, so if the opposing defense sees him in the game they can key on him to find the ball carrier. Because, obviously, if he's in he's the lead blocker on a running play. It's not too hard to figure out where the play is going.

You say this but he caught every pass thrown his way in PS after the first, including a tough diving catch (nullified by penalty).

From what I saw he could pass block OK.

The RB doesn't have to follow the FB. The FB accounts for a man. When you account for all box defenders, and win each battle, you can run. As long as the FB takes out a man not accounted for by someone else, he has schematically sound use, whether or not the RB follows him.

Gunakor
09-23-2009, 06:55 AM
BTW

and he's a hammer

You say this but he caught every pass thrown his way in PS after the first, including a tough diving catch (nullified by penalty).

From what I saw he could pass block OK.

The RB doesn't have to follow the FB. The FB accounts for a man. When you account for all box defenders, and win each battle, you can run. As long as the FB takes out a man not accounted for by someone else, he has schematically sound use, whether or not the RB follows him.

The whole reason people are clammoring for him right now is because we aren't winning those battles. A brute for a lead blocker should open up some holes, but it wouldn't if we were to run away from his lead block. I mean, yeah, if we're winning the individual battles we can be creative. But we're just not winning those battles. Running away from the lead block would net absolutely nothing for a team like ours who has 5 OL that aren't getting the job done.

Fritz
09-23-2009, 06:56 AM
There's a big difference between having talent and being good.

Jamon Meredith has talent. He has the build and the skills to develop into a left tackle in the NFL.

But right now he's no good at all. You can look at seventh grade kids playing basketball and see some who are clearly going to be spectacular players. But that doesn't mean they can step onto a court with college kids. That's kind of how it is with Meredith and players like him.

So the Packers tried to squeeze him through on the practice squad, hoping he would develop this year and perhaps be able to contribute next year as a backup, and go from there. But it didn't work. The Bills feel that they can hide him on the active roster - my guess is he'll be inactive quite a bit.

I wish the Packers hadn't lost him, but he wasn't able to help this year.

Patler
09-23-2009, 07:33 AM

Maybe, but you don't necessarily have to account for every defender initially, just those immediately in the path of the ball carrier, and the FB picks up the first one he encounters along that path. Often that is the first one with a good chance of stopping the play, so the fullback goes a long way of minimizing negative yardage on a poorly executed play, and turning little gains into bigger ones.

The Packer's coaches have said time and time again that they want the FB and RB to read the play the same, and the RB to follow the FB through the initial hole. McCarthy described the ideal fullback in his system one time as one who reads the lanes as well as the RB so that the RB doesn't have to and can just follow the fullback to the second level, from where his own running ability will take over.

Zool
09-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the stretch really rely more on a cutback lane actually opening up than it does a bruising lead blocker taking the first guy in the designed hole? Seems to me we've been running a ton of stretch again. If the FB can spot the cutback and hit that hole then yes he'd be a big help.

sharpe1027
09-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Having the Bills pick him up doesn't say much too me. Afterall, we cut a guy that started a bunch of games for them last year. Their O-line is nothing special.

Honestly, most teams would struggle after losing their LT. It is one of the most important positions. The ship defintely took on some water, but that doesn't mean it can't be patched. A week of practice did wonders for Barbre. So, I would expect some good improvements over what we saw last weekend.

I predicted 2-2 going into the bye week, with a 10-6 finish; our schedule is pretty favorable coming out of the bye week. If we can beat the Rams, we'll be right on track even if we were to lose to the Queens. :wink:

Pugger
09-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Jamon Meredith has talent. He has the build and the skills to develop into a left tackle in the NFL.

But right now he's no good at all. You can look at seventh grade kids playing basketball and see some who are clearly going to be spectacular players. But that doesn't mean they can step onto a court with college kids. That's kind of how it is with Meredith and players like him.

So the Packers tried to squeeze him through on the practice squad, hoping he would develop this year and perhaps be able to contribute next year as a backup, and go from there. But it didn't work. The Bills feel that they can hide him on the active roster - my guess is he'll be inactive quite a bit.

+1

rbaloha1
09-23-2009, 11:59 AM
BTW

and he's a hammer

Yes. The Packers need more physicality.

rbaloha1
09-23-2009, 12:02 PM

In all honesty, I think TT has put together a very good team. It's the coach I'm starting to be concerned about.

Agreed. The talent is available to make the schemes work. Its unacceptable that the offense is unfocused and lacks discipline.

rbaloha1
09-23-2009, 12:08 PM

Agreed. Nice athlete position but raw in technique. It sure would have been nice to keep and attempt to develop.

rbaloha1
09-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Maybe, but you don't necessarily have to account for every defender initially, just those immediately in the path of the ball carrier, and the FB picks up the first one he encounters along that path. Often that is the first one with a good chance of stopping the play, so the fullback goes a long way of minimizing negative yardage on a poorly executed play, and turning little gains into bigger ones.

The Packer's coaches have said time and time again that they want the FB and RB to read the play the same, and the RB to follow the FB through the initial hole. McCarthy described the ideal fullback in his system one time as one who reads the lanes as well as the RB so that the RB doesn't have to and can just follow the fullback to the second level, from where his own running ability will take over.

The packers rarely hand off or throw to the fb unlike Henderson or Rathman. FB personnel shall not indicate any thing.

rbaloha1
09-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the stretch really rely more on a cutback lane actually opening up than it does a bruising lead blocker taking the first guy in the designed hole? Seems to me we've been running a ton of stretch again. If the FB can spot the cutback and hit that hole then yes he'd be a big help.

Stretch plays are for one back schemes. The fb is for the I formation or in power plays.

bobblehead
09-23-2009, 12:24 PM

Agreed. The talent is available to make the schemes work. Its unacceptable that the offense is unfocused and lacks discipline.

anyone besides me notice all the problems the packers have started right after MM married the gold digger and became daddy. Ty mocked me at the time, but i maintain guys with families make poor NFL coaches.

rbaloha1
09-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Good point. Imagine dealing with that bitch everyday.

anyone besides me notice all the problems the packers have started right after MM married the gold digger and became daddy. Ty mocked me at the time, but i maintain guys with families make poor NFL coaches.

Fritz
09-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Doesn't Bill Belichek have a family but is prone to fooling around? i don't remember exactly, but I think he did have an affair with a married woman.

Maybe this is the answer to the Packers' problems. Either MM gets a divorce again, or he pulls a Belichek and takes on a mistress.

They've got to right this ship.

rbaloha1
09-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Doesn't Bill Belichek have a family but is prone to fooling around? i don't remember exactly, but I think he did have an affair with a married woman.

Maybe this is the answer to the Packers' problems. Either MM gets a divorce again, or he pulls a Belichek and takes on a mistress.

They've got to right this ship.

A hot young mistress can do wonders. Just do not consult Clinton.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Mike Tomlin - married
Bill Belichek - married
Tony Dungy - married
Mike Holmgren - married
Bill Parcells - married (until 2002)
Bill cowher - married
Mike Shanahan - maried
Jeff fisher - married (divorce proceedings 2008)

Do i have to continue to embarrass you? :wink:

pbmax
09-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Mike Tomlin - married
Bill Belichek - married
Tony Dungy - married
Mike Holmgren - married
Bill cowher - married
Mike Shanahan - maried

Parcells was previously divorced, the one during the Cowboy stint was #2 I believe.
Belicheck's issues have been mentioned and he is divorced.
Dungy lost a son.
Reid has two sons in the clink.

You can't just list marital status and imply all is well.

Fritz
09-23-2009, 08:12 PM

Mike Tomlin - married
Bill Belichek - married
Tony Dungy - married
Mike Holmgren - married
Bill cowher - married
Mike Shanahan - maried

Well, alrighty then: he needs a mistress.

Clearly we're putting our concerns - offensive linemen and safeties in the wrong basket.

Somebody hook up the coach already.

Snake? Snake?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Mike Tomlin - married
Bill Belichek - married
Tony Dungy - married
Mike Holmgren - married
Bill cowher - married
Mike Shanahan - maried

Parcells was previously divorced, the one during the Cowboy stint was #2 I believe.
Belicheck's issues have been mentioned and he is divorced.
Dungy lost a son.
Reid has two sons in the clink.

You can't just list marital status and imply all is well.

Of course you can't....just as you can't link MM's marriage and packer success.

Parcells: Nope. Married for 39 years to Judy. And, even if he was...he was married during his SB winning years.
Belichick: Separated in 04. Hasn't won a SB since. Marriage is the key. LOL
Dungy: What does losing a son have to do with anything? Bobble's assertion is married coaches do worse. Dungy was married and succesful.
Reid: Again, what his son's do isn't relevant. Is he married? Yes. Is he successful. Yes.

Joe Gibbs. married
Tom Landry.
Lombardi. married

The simple fact is that married coaches don't fare worse...and in fact are the most successful. Course, they just reflect most of society.

You would be hard pressed to find 5 coaches in the NFL who were successful that werent' married.

Bretsky
09-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Having the Bills pick him up doesn't say much too me. Afterall, we cut a guy that started a bunch of games for them last year. Their O-line is nothing special.

Honestly, most teams would struggle after losing their LT. It is one of the most important positions. The ship defintely took on some water, but that doesn't mean it can't be patched. A week of practice did wonders for Barbre. So, I would expect some good improvements over what we saw last weekend.

I predicted 2-2 going into the bye week, with a 10-6 finish; our schedule is pretty favorable coming out of the bye week. If we can beat the Rams, we'll be right on track even if we were to lose to the Queens. :wink:

Hard to knock the Bills OL too much when you compare up the numbers of Fred Jackson to Ryan Grant this year

Tyrone Bigguns
09-23-2009, 08:55 PM

Mike Tomlin - married
Bill Belichek - married
Tony Dungy - married
Mike Holmgren - married
Bill cowher - married
Mike Shanahan - maried

Clearly we're putting our concerns - offensive linemen and safeties in the wrong basket.

Snake? Snake?

MM..."look, i love you but, since we got married, our record is shit. Look baby, i don't wanna cheat, but i have to...to save the packers."

Mrs. MM..."how about you just put bert back at qb, moron....or get that line fixed...or, stop running out Bigby..i told you he sucked. Now, get in the kitchen and make dinner, bitch."

sharpe1027
09-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Hard to knock the Bills OL too much when you compare up the numbers of Fred Jackson to Ryan Grant this year

I never said the Packer's Oline was any good. :P

HowardRoark
09-23-2009, 09:30 PM
The simple fact is that married coaches don't fare worse...and in fact are the most successful. Course, they just reflect most of society.

Are you suggesting that single, divorced middle age men are more likely to be losers?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-23-2009, 09:39 PM

Are you suggesting that single, divorced middle age men are more likely to be losers?

Were Lindy Infante, Bart Starr, forrest greg, dan devine single, divorced middle aged men?

bobblehead
09-24-2009, 11:25 AM

Mike Tomlin - married
Bill Belichek - married
Tony Dungy - married
Mike Holmgren - married
Bill cowher - married
Mike Shanahan - maried

I should have been clearer, guys who actually prioritize their families make poor NFL coaches. Since he got married this team is undisciplined and his game planning appears to suck.

Parcells admits to being a horseshit husband in his first marriage. Bellicheck sucked pre tom brady, Dungy Sucked pre Manning, Holmgren hasn't done a lot without Brent, ect. The QB makes the coach more often than Parcells makes the team.

Coaches put in 16 hour days, and often their marriages suffer. MM is only married 2 years, I am thinking at this point he is prioritizing the new wife at least equal to the team.

Statements like "do I have to continue to embarrass you" only embarrass yourself. I would say you have been on the buffoons side of the argument more often than not with me.

Pugger
09-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Man, you guys are really reaching for straws here, aren't you? Now we're discussing the marital status of coaches to determine how successful they'll be? :roll:

swede
09-24-2009, 12:04 PM
MM..."look, i love you but, since we got married, our record is shit. Look baby, i don't wanna cheat, but i have to...to save the packers."

Mrs. MM..."how about you just put bert back at qb, moron....or get that line fixed...or, stop running out Bigby..i told you he sucked. Now, get in the kitchen and make dinner, bitch."

:lol:

swede
09-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Man, you guys are really reaching for straws here, aren't you? Now we're discussing the marital status of coaches to determine how successful they'll be? :roll:

All part of the objective search for truth, no matter where the facts may lead us,

Fritz
09-24-2009, 12:18 PM

Mike Tomlin - married
Bill Belichek - married
Tony Dungy - married
Mike Holmgren - married
Bill cowher - married
Mike Shanahan - maried

Snake? Snake?

This brings up an interesting possibility - maybe it's not about the coaches' marital status or whether they have mistresses - maybe it's about their wives or girlfriends. There is precedence for this. Everybody knows that Tony Romo sucked because of Jessica Simpson.

Honestly, the hard work we do to uncover the source of the Packers' problems is no less than the effort given at 1265 Lombardi.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-24-2009, 06:03 PM

Mike Tomlin - married
Bill Belichek - married
Tony Dungy - married
Mike Holmgren - married
Bill cowher - married
Mike Shanahan - maried

I should have been clearer, guys who actually prioritize their families make poor NFL coaches. Since he got married this team is undisciplined and his game planning appears to suck.

Parcells admits to being a horseshit husband in his first marriage. Bellicheck sucked pre tom brady, Dungy Sucked pre Manning, Holmgren hasn't done a lot without Brent, ect. The QB makes the coach more often than Parcells makes the team.

Coaches put in 16 hour days, and often their marriages suffer. MM is only married 2 years, I am thinking at this point he is prioritizing the new wife at least equal to the team.

Statements like "do I have to continue to embarrass you" only embarrass yourself. I would say you have been on the buffoons side of the argument more often than not with me.

So, now you are able to peer into a coach's life and determine who is prioritizing? LOL

Parcells: Everything is subjective. What he considers is not what others would consider. Most importantly, his wife stayed.

Dungy sucked: Dude, get off the pipe. He built tampa into winners.

Holmgren: Besides getting his team regularly into the playoffs and going to a superbowl. Man, your standards are pretty high. LOL

You think: Without knowledge of the situation, you are being an idiot. How do you know one of the thiings that makes their marriage work is that she accepts long hours. How do you know it wasn't discussed.

Let me spell it out for you: Correlation does not prove causation.

Buffoon: Maybe. But, with this type of shit, you are fast approaching my level. LOL

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
From TT's perspective, we're flush at OL, so it's all good.

:lol: :lol: :lol: