PDA

View Full Version : Nick Barnett is going absolutely bonkers on Bill Michaels..

imscott72
09-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Those of you with Barnett on tweeter need to check this out..Hilarious!

imscott72
09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Apparently it was in response to Michaels blog about Barnett's reaction after making a tackle..

http://www.620wtmj.com/sports/billmichaels

red
09-22-2009, 05:38 PM
i'm with michaels on this

i too was furious to see the celebration right after missing a tackle to lose the game

OkayKyle
09-22-2009, 05:40 PM
What a dumb article. If Michaels truly has been a Barnett supporter for years, then I don't see why he would all of a sudden have a problem with this dance. After Barnett makes a big play - regardless of previous missed tackles - he does his samurai dance on his own. Why would Michaels all of a sudden have a problem with this?

Barnett clearly does it to pump up the defense and the crowd - in no way do I believe Barnett does his dance for recognition.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2009, 05:56 PM
I agree. You don't showboat when your team is trailing.

CaptainKickass
09-22-2009, 05:56 PM
What a dumb article. If Michaels truly has been a Barnett supporter for years, then I don't see why he would all of a sudden have a problem with this dance. After Barnett makes a big play - regardless of previous missed tackles - he does his samurai dance on his own. Why would Michaels all of a sudden have a problem with this?

Barnett clearly does it to pump up the defense and the crowd - in no way do I believe Barnett does his dance for recognition.

Maybe - but I certanly think it's an ineffective dance for both the fans and the defense. He uses it inappropriately, within the context of the game.

If it doesn't work, stop using it. He's only making himself look worse than he actually is.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2009, 05:57 PM
I think he'd fire up his team mates a lot more if he's stop whiffing on tackles.

Waldo
09-22-2009, 06:07 PM
I honestly don't see what Packer fans problem with his chop is.

It is one of my biggest pet peeves with our fanbase, that two faced crap where they want a "fired up" team, yet hate our "fired up" players.

We were down by a score.

And is was a TFL. No diiferent than a sack.

Jesus. Only celebrate when we are winning in a blowout.

WTF is wrong with you people.

There is a reason our Kamp and Hawk will never be Ray Lewis or Jared Allen. Ability has nothing to do with it. They simply lack the personality to get to that level.

Our one player that has that personality is hated for it.

Our team full of good guys, "Packer people", plays like a team full of good guys, "Packer people" far too much. Sometimes smack tackling assholes are simply more effective football players, because it is the personality of an effective football player.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2009, 06:16 PM
There is a reason our Kamp and Hawk will never be Ray Lewis or Jared Allen. Ability has nothing to do with it. They simply lack the personality to get to that level.

Barry Sanders super stardom didn't suffer from him not making a spectacle of himself. Woodson doesn't do all that crap either.

Barnett's just not good enough to make an ass of himself like Ray Lewis and Jared Allen.

]{ilr]3
09-22-2009, 06:23 PM

Barry Sanders super stardom didn't suffer from him not making a spectacle of himself. Woodson doesn't do all that crap either.

Barnett's just not good enough to make an ass of himself like Ray Lewis and Jared Allen.

He always seems to pick the worst time to do it and he looks like a white guy who cant dance. I think thats why he stands out so much. If he was making huge plays all the time like Ray Lewis I would be fired up and probably forgive the white man shuffle.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2009, 06:27 PM
The more interesting Barnett tweet was a complaint that he isn't playing every down.
"Hard to get in the swing of things in a rotation. Don't know why we are even in a (rotation at) this point."

I'd say there are still in a rotation because Barnett is coming back from a major injury, and the other guys have earned reps.

sharpe1027
09-22-2009, 06:31 PM

If by "level" you mean fan recognition, then maybe you have a point. If you mean actual performance on the field, get real. Exhibit #1: Reggie White.

Waldo
09-22-2009, 06:34 PM

If by "level" you mean fan recognition, then maybe you have a point. If you mean actual performance on the field, get real. Exhibit #1: Reggie White.

Reggie was real quiet and humble on the field. Just doing his job and keeping his mouth shut. :lol:

He wasn't the shit talker that his linebackers were. But he was no lifeless Kamp-like robot either.

Partial
09-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Didn't Reggie instagate the brawl between the 'Boys.

swede
09-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I heard Michaels going off on Barnett on WTMJ Monday.

Knowing that Barnett listens to the press and twitters anything on his mind I wondered how this could possibly NOT start a feud between these two. I don't think it was wise or even professional for Michaels to start a feud like this.

And as for Barnett, I did not like the Samurai sword stroke in its original incarnation. I thought it looked more like a short order cook swatting a fly with a spatula. It looks better since he shortened it up. Barnett has grown on me. I think he's immature and goofy and passionate and he is a pretty dang good football player. I think he loves the trappings and privileges of being a pro player, and he really loves attention. I don't think any of those things are hurting his team. Missing tackles, yeah. Waving a pretend sword, no. He didn't deserve the shit he took from Michaels--THAT was unprofessional.

The Shadow
09-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I'd rather have Chillar and Hawk on the inside (with Bishop mixing in) than Barnett, anyway.

Brandon494
09-22-2009, 08:00 PM
The guy just came back from a huge injury, who are you to say he can't celebrate after making a tackle?

mmmdk
09-22-2009, 08:03 PM
I'd rather have Chillar and Hawk on the inside (with Bishop mixing in) than Barnett, anyway.

I'm not knocking Barnett but he's tradeable. We need help on O-line and secondary - even a DL but those trucks are expensive. We have good talent/depth at LB.

Fosco33
09-22-2009, 08:21 PM
I remember commenting about this in the game day thread - he had just whiffed on a tackle then celebrated after a decent play. Seemed a little excessive.

Deputy Nutz
09-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Waldo, maybe if his celebration was cool we could get behind it. It is the opposite of Chuck Woodson, who last year said he was bringing "cool" back to the game, so when a defensive back picked up a ball, the rest of the defensive backs shook his hand.

Barnett's celebration is a dud.

Waldo
09-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Waldo, maybe if his celebration was cool we could get behind it. It is the opposite of Chuck Woodson, who last year said he was bringing "cool" back to the game, so when a defensive back picked up a ball, the rest of the defensive backs shook his hand.

What do you think of Matthews punch celebration?

Deputy Nutz
09-22-2009, 08:30 PM

What do you think of Matthews punch celebration?

Ghey.

red
09-22-2009, 08:31 PM
i've got no problem with his little dance after a big play

but it didn't erase the bad play he had the play before

the timing was just wrong for me

as for him bitching about the rotation, maybe he's right, maybe it is screwing things up. but right now he's the odd man out. the two guys ahead of him (hawk and chillar) have both been healthy this whole time, and they're both playing well. neither one has done anything to lose his starting job

Gunakor
09-23-2009, 05:43 AM
i've got no problem with his little dance after a big play

but it didn't erase the bad play he had the play before

the timing was just wrong for me

as for him bitching about the rotation, maybe he's right, maybe it is screwing things up. but right now he's the odd man out. the two guys ahead of him (hawk and chillar) have both been healthy this whole time, and they're both playing well. neither one has done anything to lose his starting job

Only one of those two had a starting job to begin with. You don't lose your starting job due to injury, so one of those to starting ILB spots was and still is Barnett's to lose. Maybe in the eyes of some he's already done enough to lose it, but IMO he's just a bit rusty coming off of a rather serious knee injury. He'll be fine.

Patler
09-23-2009, 06:59 AM

It is one of my biggest pet peeves with our fanbase, that two faced crap where they want a "fired up" team, yet hate our "fired up" players.

We were down by a score.

Our team full of good guys, "Packer people", plays like a team full of good guys, "Packer people" far too much. Sometimes smack tackling assholes are simply more effective football players, because it is the personality of an effective football player.

Gee, its amazing athletes could perform and teams could play well before these asinine "celebrations" by athletes for completing ONE PLAY became the norm. How did they ever do it? Who "fired them up"?

I do not believe that a single player's antics because HE did his job on ONE PLAY serves to fire up the team, especially when the same guy just got done blowing the previous play. Maybe he should be dancing or whatever when a team mate makes a play? Maybe he should direct his emotions at his team mates with shouts, encouragement or back slapping? I don't see how a player's gyrations by himself in the middle of the field fires up his team. These so-called "celebrations" serve one purpose and one purpose only, and that is to draw attention to the person performing the act. Fire up the team? Sounds good to say it, but I have yet to hear any player credit the celebration of another for firing up himself or others.

Patler
09-23-2009, 07:07 AM
You don't lose your starting job due to injury, so one of those to starting ILB spots was and still is Barnett's to lose.

I suspect Don Majkowski disagrees with that statement. :lol:
If it were true that you don't lose your starting job due to injury, Favre's starting streak would not be as long as it is.

Fritz
09-23-2009, 07:14 AM
I find it humorous that some of the dislike stems from the actual celebration - hey, if only he had a better celebration!

I'd like to see him do what we did in seventh grade. Grab your croctch and thrust your hips at a guy's face. How can you beat that for celebrating and humiliating your opponent?

pbmax
09-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Bring back the Fun Bunch. Or Golden Richards (RIP). Or Billy White Shoes Johnson.

Just don't bring back Mark Gastineau. I have a very long Brown's related story about Mr. Sack Dance, if you want me to tell it and stop the thread in its tracks, just let me know. :lol:

I don't think the dance moves fire up the team unless they are already emotional, but I think it works better with the fans. Barnett simply choose a time when the defense was faltering, he had just missed a tackle and the Packers were losing. A Perfect Storm of suck. Barnett is no more self-aggrandizing than most players and he is one of the few demonstrative ones on the Packers. Without him we'd be even more emotionless. Someone needed to make a play. The real trouble was that no one else could muster a tackle for loss.

Rastak
09-23-2009, 07:41 AM

We were down by a score.

Gee, its amazing athletes could perform and teams could play well before these asinine "celebrations" by athletes for completing ONE PLAY became the norm. How did they ever do it? Who "fired them up"?

I do not believe that a single player's antics because HE did his job on ONE PLAY serves to fire up the team, especially when the same guy just got done blowing the previous play. Maybe he should be dancing or whatever when a team mate makes a play? Maybe he should direct his emotions at his team mates with shouts, encouragement or back slapping? I don't see how a player's gyrations by himself in the middle of the field fires up his team. These so-called "celebrations" serve one purpose and one purpose only, and that is to draw attention to the person performing the act. Fire up the team? Sounds good to say it, but I have yet to hear any player credit the celebration of another for firing up himself or others.

Exactly. Jim Brown was on total access a while back and he was funny as hell. He said he can't understand why grown men can't act dignified and questioned why all this "bufoonery" was necessary.

Willard
09-23-2009, 08:43 AM
A Perfect Storm of suck.

:lol:

wist43
09-23-2009, 09:10 AM
My favorite player disgruntled??? How can this be???

I thought they were all headed for the pro bowl??? :roll:

sharpe1027
09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Reggie was real quiet and humble on the field. Just doing his job and keeping his mouth shut. :lol:

He wasn't the shit talker that his linebackers were. But he was no lifeless Kamp-like robot either.

IDK Waldo, I feel you may be subject to one of my pet-peeves; judging a player based upon your gut feelings rather than his actual production. This just sounds way too familiar: Kampman is not athletic enough to be a good 4-3 end. He is too slow. He doesn't have enough burst. He is not stout enough. He only gets sacks because he has a good motor, not because he is good. Blah, blah, blah. Now I am to believe his problem lacking fire/not playing with enough energy?

Man...I can't figure this guy out! Which is it? Is he a high-energy guy that makes up for his lack of athletism with heart and hustle or is he a guy that can't get over the top because he doesn't have that "fire"?

Maybe he's just a damn good football player.

CaptainKickass
09-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Waldo - you're a smart dude and this seems really obvious. This is not a knock on Nick's performance during a play. It is a knock on how he handles success, and how he appears to be more about "him" than he is about the team.

I certainly do not mind a good celebration after a play that deserves it.

If your team is losing, it's first down and you make a TFL, its prolly not the right time for an on field celebration.

If you totally blow up a guy in the backfield, maybe cause a fumble, or its 3rd down and you make a noteworthy play that causes the punt - then prolly a good time for a celebration. Its about the context of the game. Something Nick obviously has yet to understand.

And the dance itself..."samurai"? Even the most liberal of fans that I know are like...WTF? Its just not cool. No, we can't define "cool" with numbers or stats. Its the one part of the game that is totally subject to fan approval or disapproval. The fans think its a stupid dance.

For the record - I do appreciate a good player, making a good/great play, doing a celebration. I am against the anti-celebration policy of the NFL particularily regarding the end zone. Talk about entertainment.

My favorite GB player celebration, and one guy who seemed to use it when it seemed appropriate within the context of the game:

"The GraveDigger!!"

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blogs/gridiron_girl/gravedigger.jpg

Pugger
09-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't mind guys celebrating on the field but Barnett should forget the twitter and concentrate on football. :roll:

Tarlam!
09-23-2009, 12:01 PM
What she said.

rbaloha1
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Nothing wrong with firing up the crowd after a significant play. The problem is celebrations when the Packers are getting crushed or a "big deal" play.

OkayKyle
09-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Thought this was a well-written article on the subject.

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blogs/railbird_central/archive/2009/09/23/barnett-sticks-foot-in-mouth-again.aspx

swede
09-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Thought this was a well-written article on the subject.

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blogs/railbird_central/archive/2009/09/23/barnett-sticks-foot-in-mouth-again.aspx

Jaywalking, pushing women that throw drinks in his face, and now...poor spelling!

How much longer can I be expected to have this guy's back?

MOBB DEEP
09-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Like i said before, wananbe tough guy....

Need some cats from the U

Gunakor
09-24-2009, 01:49 AM
You don't lose your starting job due to injury, so one of those to starting ILB spots was and still is Barnett's to lose.

If it were true that you don't lose your starting job due to injury, Favre's starting streak would not be as long as it is.

Holmgren just wanted to justify Wolf's trade. You know as well as I that Favre didn't look to great his first couple of years, and I'm sure you were calling for Majik or Brunell or Dilweg or whoever to start rather than Favre. I'm glad that worked out in the end for us, but Favre was not very Majikal until 1994.

For every Majkowski, there's a McNabb, a Brady, a Delhomme, etc. Typically speaking, you don't lose your job to injury. Nor should you.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-24-2009, 02:13 AM

We were down by a score.

Exactly. Jim Brown was on total access a while back and he was funny as hell. He said he can't understand why grown men can't act dignified and questioned why all this "bufoonery" was necessary.

I'll take the buffoonery on the field over brown's dignified actions off the field.

Brown picked up cases like the were going outta style.

Freakin hypocrite.

channtheman
09-24-2009, 04:14 AM

Holmgren just wanted to justify Wolf's trade. You know as well as I that Favre didn't look to great his first couple of years, and I'm sure you were calling for Majik or Brunell or Dilweg or whoever to start rather than Favre. I'm glad that worked out in the end for us, but Favre was not very Majikal until 1994.

For every Majkowski, there's a McNabb, a Brady, a Delhomme, etc. Typically speaking, you don't lose your job to injury. Nor should you.

It's funny you mention Brady because he got his job because of injury! :lol:

MOBB DEEP
09-24-2009, 04:52 AM
I'll take the buffoonery on the field over folk's dignified actions off the field.

fixed

Tyrone Bigguns
09-24-2009, 05:03 AM
I'll take the buffoonery on the field over folk's dignified actions off the field.

fixed

Either you missed the sarcasm, are unaware, or condone violence against women.

There is no doubt about brown's "dignified actions" off the field.

MOBB DEEP
09-24-2009, 05:41 AM

fixed

Either you missed the sarcasm, are unaware, or condone violence against women.

There is no doubt about brown's "dignified actions" off the field.

NO, i may have miscommunicated but agree w/u TOTALLY

I love how barry sand acted like he had been there before but DEF prefer brothas doing gigs/shucking and jiving like JJ from good times as opposed to being punk wife beaters

Tyrone Bigguns
09-24-2009, 05:59 AM
ok