PDA

View Full Version : Packers working out safeties

falco
09-22-2009, 08:07 PM
So what, a starting duo of Martin/Bush doesn't instill fear in QBs?

red
09-22-2009, 08:20 PM
maybe its time for the much talked about move of c-wood to safety

you'd really hate to lose one of the best cb's in the game, but you have to have someone competent at safety

whatever it takes to get bush off the field

Deputy Nutz
09-22-2009, 08:23 PM
maybe its time for the much talked about move of c-wood to safety

you'd really hate to lose one of the best cb's in the game, but you have to have someone competent at safety

whatever it takes to get bush off the field

They did that last year, and it wasn't to productive. Chuck needs to roam the field, from the field corner spot, to the slot, outside the tight end, over the tight end. He is the only one on defense that cared to make a play on Sunday.

red
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
so did the team actually bring in safeties?

if so, are there any names? an article?

Bretsky
09-22-2009, 08:59 PM
If memory serves me right we'll see the guy we should've kept playing safety for the Rams this week

red
09-22-2009, 09:00 PM
If memory serves me right we'll see the guy we should've kept playing safety for the Rams this week

don't even get me started

dumb dumb dumb

Partial
09-22-2009, 09:05 PM

don't even get me started

dumb dumb dumb

Yep. Also note the offense is struggling big time. Could have to do with another possible cut. Not saying that it is, but it could.

We have a crappy offense, crappy OL and crappy secondary, yet we have 3 god damn fullbacks, 2 of which are basically useless as they cannot block.

KYPack
09-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Triple fullbacks and cutting a good safety with Bigby coming off ankle surgery seems like another move I remember.

Oh yeah.

Keeping 2 punters, made by an ex-Packer GM.

falco
09-22-2009, 09:15 PM
story is in JSOs blog. sounds like we are kicking the tires on some junk.

mission
09-22-2009, 10:53 PM
glad we cut smith

Patler
09-22-2009, 11:34 PM
How can so many of you be so certain that cutting Smith was a mistake when you haven't even seen Martin play? They didn't cut him to go with fewer safeties, they have 5 on the roster. Basically, the decided that Martin brought more to the team than Smith. We should at least see both of them play before condemning the move.

red
09-22-2009, 11:48 PM
so you're saying we have to wait till sunday afternoon before we can bitch?

honestly, i forgot all about martin

Bretsky
09-22-2009, 11:59 PM
or we could have cut a FB and kept both

Tyrone Bigguns
09-23-2009, 12:00 AM
How can so many of you be so certain that cutting Smith was a mistake when you haven't even seen Martin play? They didn't cut him to go with fewer safeties, they have 5 on the roster. Basically, the decided that Martin brought more to the team than Smith. We should at least see both of them play before condemning the move.

Why? Only idiots wait till we have seen them play.

Smart fans make snap judgements and can tell when the coaches are working hard or hardly working, who has the fire inside them, who is gritty, etc.

Your time is over, dinosaur. Make way for the new breed.

Deputy Nutz
09-23-2009, 12:08 AM

Well, quite possibly one of them can play safety. We do have Brett Swain.

mission
09-23-2009, 12:38 AM
i might never have seen martin play but i sure did see smith play... and for as many gaffes as i saw him have, he made just as many plays. way beyond the play of bush... all this talk about locker room cancer, ya i get it.. he's the asshole that predicted the patriots win and he probably he said some shit up in GB at some point to piss someone off... but come on... is martin really going to be better than smith was? you know, the guy we traded tony moll for ?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-23-2009, 12:49 AM
i might never have seen martin play but i sure did see smith play... and for as many gaffes as i saw him have, he made just as many plays. way beyond the play of bush... all this talk about locker room cancer, ya i get it.. he's the asshole that predicted the patriots win and he probably he said some shit up in GB at some point to piss someone off... but come on... is martin really going to be better than smith was? you know, the guy we traded tony moll for ?

GB only has room for one uppity negro..and that is Barnett. Ya dig.

GB/Wisco can't handle a "90s n*gger" as defined by Barkley

mission
09-23-2009, 01:31 AM

It's too bad... we could use a few.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-23-2009, 02:14 AM

It's too bad... we could use a few.

No disagreement here.

SnakeLH2006
09-23-2009, 03:13 AM
So what, a starting duo of Martin/Bush doesn't instill fear in QBs?

:shock: :lol:

Patler
09-23-2009, 03:35 AM

They kept 5 safeties as it was. Did you really want them to keep 6 safeties?

Gunakor
09-23-2009, 04:55 AM

Who keeps 6 safeties on their roster? Having 3 FB's is useless, I agree, but 6 safeties?

Edit: Hadn't gotten to the last page of the thread and seen Patler already had answered this.

:oops:

Fritz
09-23-2009, 06:57 AM

IF the Packers had kept Smith they wouldn't have gotten Martin, and they'd still be down to three safeties this week.

Bretsky
09-23-2009, 07:01 AM

Do you count Bush as a safety ? In my book he's a special teamer. Bye Bye Bush.

pbmax
09-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Triple fullbacks and cutting a good safety with Bigby coming off ankle surgery seems like another move I remember.

Oh yeah.

Keeping 2 punters, made by an ex-Packer GM.
I see where you are with this, but I think its closer to keeping 4 TEs in M3's first or second year.

Patler
09-23-2009, 07:13 AM

Do you count Bush as a safety ? In my book he's a special teamer. Bye Bye Bush.

Bush, Smith, Martin - I'm not sure that there is a lot of difference between them in value given for the roster spot they hold, but Smith probably had the lowest value since he was a poor special teamer, apparently. Typically the last backups spots for DBs, LBs and WRs are weighted more heavily toward special teams performers.

pbmax
09-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Bush is not lights out, but he stopped Ochocinco's catch on the flea-flicker. It was acceptable, but not much else. Would you like to bet that Smith comes up harder, tries to make a play on the ball and receiver and lets Chad get past him? With Smith, which roll of the die do you get?

It didn't work in the Bengals game, but at some point you cannot have just marginal starters as depth, they need to be good at special teams or your field position suffers all season long.

The one unfortunate thing about the 3 fullbacks is that Johnson doesn't play Special Teams. He is there for FB upside alone. Henderson, as he was gearing up for the pro game, became very good on special teams.

Patler
09-23-2009, 07:42 AM
The one unfortunate thing about the 3 fullbacks is that Johnson doesn't play Special Teams. He is there for FB upside alone. Henderson, as he was gearing up for the pro game, became very good on special teams.

Slocum said in camp that they have no reason to think Johnson can't be good on STs, it's just that he has little experience in it. Coupled with his learning curve as a fullback, it makes him the odd man out among the FBs right now.

SkinBasket
09-23-2009, 09:00 AM

Slocum said in camp that they have no reason to think Johnson can't be good on STs, it's just that he has little experience in it. Coupled with his learning curve as a fullback, it makes him the odd man out among the FBs right now.

Apparently the other two full backs haven't learned how to play offense or special teams yet either. They looked like shit out there.

Patler
09-23-2009, 10:10 AM

Apparently the other two full backs haven't learned how to play offense or special teams yet either. They looked like shit out there.

I agree, which makes it likely we will see Johnson sooner rather than later. One FB will likely be gone as soon as TT needs a roster spot, perhaps even this week if Collins and Rouse are both limited and he needs to sign a safety.

sharpe1027
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I agree, which makes it likely we will see Johnson sooner rather than later. One FB will likely be gone as soon as TT needs a roster spot, perhaps even this week if Collins and Rouse are both limited and he needs to sign a safety.

If Bjack can finally get healthly, I expect Kuhn may be gone. Right now Kuhn is effectively the 3rd H-back, making him hard to get rid off. That changes somewhat if BJack is healthy. Hall struggled some last week, but he is enough of a receiving threat that he brings something the other two lack. Then again, I would never have guessed that would have kept all three in the first place, so what the hell do I know?

Sparkey
09-23-2009, 10:25 AM
THE NEWS
The Green Bay Packers worked out three safeties on Tuesday, and appear close to signing one of them, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Matt Giordano, DeAndre Wright, and Nate Ness all participated in the workout.
OUR VIEW
The article suggests that Giordano is the favorite to get the job, as the Packers only have two healthy safeties on the roster heading into their Week 3 game in St. Louis. Giordano is a quality special teams player, but that's about it.

KYPack
09-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't think we should have kept all 3 FB's. 6 Safeties? Yeah that's one too many. We probably should have kept the extra OL.

Martin is the wild card in all of this. Smith showed an aggressive nature, but he also makes a ton of mistakes. Martin may well pan out and make the move look good, but who knows how that one will work.

Why Hall is still on board is beyond me. He can catch passes. That was a helluva a route & catch he made last year against the Vikes. But a FB's job is blocking and he is very poor at that task. I keep hearing that he is a special team demon, but I sure don't see it. He must be a great practice player. His production does not warrant keeping 3 guys at that spot.

Unfortunately, we've already been wounded by keeping the 3 FB's. Cutting Hall now, probably won't help anything.

Scott Campbell
09-23-2009, 10:41 AM
I heard Rouse got released.

packers.com

S AARON ROUSE
6' 4" • 223 lbs. • Virginia Tech

Exp: 3 NFL Seasons, 3 Packers Seasons
Acquired: Draft 2007 (3b)
Current Status: Released 09/23/2009

KYPack
09-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Rouse is gone.

Pack signs S Matt Giordano to the active roster. Giordano (pronounced G-or-DAHN-o), a fifth-year pro, spent the past four seasons (2005-08) with Indianapolis. A fourth-round selection in the 2005 NFL Draft from California, he played in 55 games, including six starts, for the Colts. He will wear No. 47.

Are we spinning out of control?

Cutting a 3rd round pick with all that investment to get a Colt cast-off?

Looks like a little panic is hitting 1265 Lombardi ave.

They also signed Dan Randolph to the PS, replacing Meredith

Scott Campbell
09-23-2009, 11:00 AM

I don't think so. Rouse has been on the bubble for a long time.

SkinBasket
09-23-2009, 12:43 PM
THE NEWS
The Green Bay Packers worked out three safeties on Tuesday, and appear close to signing one of them, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Matt Giordano, DeAndre Wright, and Nate Ness all participated in the workout.
OUR VIEW
The article suggests that Giordano is the favorite to get the job, as the Packers only have two healthy safeties on the roster heading into their Week 3 game in St. Louis. Giordano is a quality special teams player, but that's about it.

Fuck that. We should sign all three and cut Bigby and Bush. Bigby was looking like his usual completely ineffective self before the most recent surprising injury set back his brilliantly promising career as a fence post. Bush can't play defense and his only role on special teams is running down the field and being blocked 20 yards past the returner.

Pugger
09-23-2009, 01:03 PM

Maybe not but I don't think I'd mind. Smith is third string on a team that's currently 25th against the pass.

retailguy
09-23-2009, 01:22 PM

Maybe not but I don't think I'd mind. Smith is third string on a team that's currently 25th against the pass.

Beats being unemployed which is where Rouse is right now. Wonder if Rouse is better than Smith, or that was an ST decision that came back to bite them because of injury and inadequate depth?

pbmax
09-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Rouse is gone.

Pack signs S Matt Giordano to the active roster. Giordano (pronounced G-or-DAHN-o), a fifth-year pro, spent the past four seasons (2005-08) with Indianapolis. A fourth-round selection in the 2005 NFL Draft from California, he played in 55 games, including six starts, for the Colts. He will wear No. 47.

Yes, Hall had a nearly clean whiff in the first half on a pass block that resulted in Rodgers taking a blind shot and fumbling. I would understand if he is the odd man out at FB eventually.

KYPack
09-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Rouse is gone.

Yes, Hall had a nearly clean whiff in the first half on a pass block that resulted in Rodgers taking a blind shot and fumbling. I would understand if he is the odd man out at FB eventually.

I am serious when I say that Hall is the worst blocking FB I've ever seen. He takes the old blocking mantra, "Engage, sustain and finish", and turns it into "Lunge & miss".

That is his huge problem. He lunges. Constantly. You can't be lunging when you block those runs. When he misses, it's a big zero. That said, he's real good at running those pass routes. But couldn't Havner give us that? He's kind of our "human tool" guy, give him a 3rd gig.

MOBB DEEP
09-23-2009, 06:46 PM
GET SHARPER........!!!!!!!!

rbaloha1
09-23-2009, 06:48 PM
GET SHARPER........!!!!!!!!

The dude continues to make plays and is putting up hall of fame numbers.

digitaldean
09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Rouse is gone.

I am serious when I say that Hall is the worst blocking FB I've ever seen. He takes the old blocking mantra, "Engage, sustain and finish", and turns it into "Lunge & miss".

That is his huge problem. He lunges. Constantly. You can't be lunging when you block those runs. When he misses, it's a big zero. That said, he's real good at running those pass routes. But couldn't Havner give us that? He's kind of our "human tool" guy, give him a 3rd gig.

I agree with Hall. I'd rather have Johnson out there to be honest. Randolph shouldn't be on the PS at all. He stunk on ice in the preseason.

Havner is a pleasant surprise. He and Woodson were about the only bright spots on Sunday.

And BTW, when the hell is Desmond Bishop going to be in the starting lineup? We need him at least against the good running teams like STL and Minn. Chillar and Barnett are liabilities in the run game.

mission
09-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Dean -- how about: when are we going to at least SEE Bishop on the defensive side of the ball? I can hear arguments about starting lineup because he's shown flashes but coaches must know something we don't to justify him never seeing the field.