PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy press conference a little strange

KYPack
09-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Coach mac kind of fooled me at the presser today...

Quote on

Oh, they're going to rise to the challenge. And they need to. And we all do, starting with me. We're going down there to play football the way we're supposed to play football, OK? We didn't play very good last week. And that's last week. We're 1-1 and we're excited about this opportunity in St. Louis. So we're going to line up and play just the way we did every day, nothing's going to change, we're not changing any plays, any practice schedules, any linemen, any safeties, OK? So we're going down to St. Louis to win a game and we're going to play our type of football. That's our approach.

With that, McCarthy waited a beat, said, "Thank you," and walked away from the podium.

Quote off

Huh?

"we're not changing any plays, any practice schedules, any linemen, any safeties.."

Erm, coach, we had a little change at safety there.

Giordano is our new safety and Rouse is on a plane home.

That's a change, ya know?

Struck me as a little strange statement to make.

Rastak
09-23-2009, 05:11 PM
I read that he also indicated Clifton is out till week 6 minimum.

I guess College can make a push to keep the job if he were to play well given Clifton's age....is that a possibility?

pbmax
09-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Reading for coach-speak he is saying:

You are too good to be playing like the Chiefs. Scheme can't save you. There is no magic formation to save you. Pull your head out of your posterior and do your job. Ignore all else and remember your fundamentals. Then we will be fine.

Now go run 25 laps.

And fix that pad level.

sheepshead
09-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Less Penalties, less dropped passes and some damn protection and we win that game.

MOBB DEEP
09-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Dont know if any of u cats caught MMs presser on monday but he COMPLETELY through he players under the bus....said SEVERAL times that it wasnt the fault of the "schemes" :evil:

rbaloha1
09-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Dont know if any of u cats caught MMs presser on monday but he COMPLETELY through he players under the bus....said SEVERAL times that it wasnt the fault of the "schemes" :evil:

This is what it could take for the players to respond. The Rouse cut also sends a message. Expect the players to respond positively. Thank goodness we are playing the Rams!

mission
09-23-2009, 07:45 PM

As much as you want to see your leadership accountable for results, too much can leave players thinking they're performing up to standards and their coaches just need to step it up. It's a fine line as a coach but it's time for Mr. Pittsburgh to start lighting some fire under the team's collective ass --> starting with his own.

hoosier
09-23-2009, 07:57 PM
I read that he also indicated Clifton is out till week 6 minimum.

If true that's at least four weeks of calling maximum protection and heavy on the run.

Let me be the first to predict that ARod doesn't crack 4000 and doesn't win the MVP this year. :lol:

mraynrand
09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Let's hope Stubby cracks that whip this week. Even though they are playing 'lowly' St. Louis, those road games on turf in domes are not easy for this team.

mmmdk
09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
McCarthy is dead to me :lol: I just love post sunday quaterbacking.

Fritz
09-23-2009, 08:09 PM
The coaches are important, to be sure. But they don't make the plays. The players have to take responsibility.

I hope that each player goes out and does his job and doesn't try to do too much. Football, maybe more than any other sport, is dependent upon each player doing exactly what he's supposed to do. Trying to do it all yourself is a big mistake.

I wonder if by the not-changing-safeties thing he meant that it's going to be Collins and Bush?

KYPack
09-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah Fritz, I agree.

That was the classic, stay the course football coach speech.

"OK boys, "Don't bother that the mule is blind, just load the fucking wagon" speech.

But it came at a pretty wierd time.

We ain't gonna change anything, but by the way, we just cut last week's starting safety?

That doesn't make much sense.

Scott Campbell
09-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh yeah Fritz, I agree.

That was the classic, stay the course football coach speech.

"OK boys, "Don't bother that the mule is blind, just load the fucking wagon" speech.

But it came at a pretty wierd time.

We ain't gonna change anything, but by the way, we just cut last week's starting safety?

That doesn't make much sense.

When Rouse couldn't take Bigby's job last year while he was hobbled, the writing was pretty well on the wall for him.

KYPack
09-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Here's a little more from our favorite Pittsburghian about Rouse...

- On Rouse: Number of factors went into it. Spoke to him on Tuesday. Felt consistency and growth part of it, as well as availability.

- On safety decisions: Not just Rouse vs. Smith or Smith vs. Martin. Timing is part of it. "Things do happen".

- Rouse's performance Sunday the last straw? Never want to go off of just one performance. Decision made with lot of information.

.................................................. ..............

Ya know, it's a tough time and he said a mouthful just by cutting the guy. Any 'good' reasons would probably be rubbing salt in the wound.

I don't think the "no changes" point was that brainy, but there's really no way to say anything good at this juncture.

pbmax
09-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't think the "no changes" point was that brainy, but there's really no way to say anything good at this juncture.
But if you were the players, what would you read into no changes being made except cutting a player who did not play well?

I think you would read that its not the coaching staff that will be changing, its going to be the players.

mmmdk
09-23-2009, 08:43 PM
But if you were the players, what would you read into no changes being made except cutting a player who did not play well?

I think you would read that its not the coaching staff that will be changing, its going to be the players.

The first cut is...Very Tuna and so Jimmy Johnson like.

Fritz
09-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Well, MM names the factors most rats have been mentioning: inconsistency, lack of development, lack of availability.

Maybe Packerrats is the collective brain of McCarthy. Kinda like Being John Malkovich, except we're all part of Mike McCarthy.

So there's a part of his brain that thinks Rodgers is average. There's a part of his brain that thinks Rodgers can be an MVP. There's a part of his brain that loves Jarrett Bush's special teams play, and another part of his brain that wants to cut him.

And, of course, there's a part of his brain that wants to see two hot women getting nasty for his personal viewing pleasure. :D

HowardRoark
09-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, MM names the factors most rats have been mentioning: inconsistency, lack of development, lack of availability.

Maybe Packerrats is the collective brain of McCarthy. Kinda like Being John Malkovich, except we're all part of Mike McCarthy.

So there's a part of his brain that thinks Rodgers is average. There's a part of his brain that thinks Rodgers can be an MVP. There's a part of his brain that loves Jarrett Bush's special teams play, and another part of his brain that wants to cut him.

And, of course, there's a part of his brain that wants to see two hot women getting nasty for his personal viewing pleasure. :D

And part of his brain wants to sign this new safety.

http://cdn.okmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/drew11.jpg

Jerry Tagge
09-23-2009, 10:44 PM
McCarthy is a little strange.

MOBB DEEP
09-24-2009, 06:03 AM

As much as you want to see your leadership accountable for results, too much can leave players thinking they're performing up to standards and their coaches just need to step it up. It's a fine line as a coach but it's time for Mr. Pittsburgh to start lighting some fire under the team's collective ass --> starting with his own.

Gotcha! thin line...