PDA

View Full Version : Updated: Colledge OK at LT. Only Gave up 2 sacks in Bye Week

SnakeLH2006
09-25-2009, 03:39 AM
I dunno about the rest of you Rats, but watching Colledge go against that NFL LEGEND DE, named Odom, from the Bengals made me scared (5 sacks, really?)

Real scared. I know some like him, Colledge (OK maybe only Waldo did), but he's a fish out of water at Left Tackle. That was ridiculous and made me flashback to that preseason game vs. the Chargers years ago....Ya that game where he got raped for 3 sacks in about 5 min. All that progress at OG over the years, equals bitch ass production at OT. What do ya know?

Colledge is an OK guard, and that is it. I really like you Waldo (well sometimes...where's J. Thompson....and where's my man Bishop..but whatever..I'll let that go), but saying Colledge needs a new big contract...he's this and that...I shut up and let you say it. I'll kill myself if the Pack resigns Colledge to big deal.

You are normally right, but Colledge (Snake's NEVER been a fan at all) just looked the bitch. Wow, did he get thrown the fuck around (where's that athletic prowess, yo). Colledge is garbage...I always thought it.

Anyway, here's a new article on it. This is what we have to face. I felt Cliffy was declining for years, but seeing that circus-fiasco last week vs. the lowly Bengals and Odom opened my eyes to what we have to deal with post-Clifton. Even declining, Cliffy's the man. Fuck Darren Colledge at OT. He gave up at least 3..4?? sacks alone at LT. Wow. I didn't think there would be that much drop off with old Cliffy, but obviously that cost us the Bengal game. I didn't know Cliffy at his age/injury status was that good. Or maybe Colledge is that pathetic. I'm betting on the latter. Colledge sucks.

http://www.piercecountyherald.com/event/article/id/92989/publisher_ID/19/

The Green Bay Packers will be without starting left tackle Chad Clifton for at least two games.

Clifton sprained his right ankle last Sunday against Cincinnati, and he’ll be out at least until after the bye week in October.

Until then, left guard Daryn Colledge will play in the tackle spot. He was a tackle in college at Boise State.

------------

There it is. I didn't consider Collledge as anything but un-fucking-spectacular, but he looked like a bitch liking a whipping stick from his dominmatrix last week. If Cliffy is out. Good luck. Darren is pudding at OT. I guess he's gonna make All-Pro's 3 week weeks straight at DE for opposing teams. I really don't like Darren at OT. He's proven nothing but incompetence.

It's just sad. Post on. Damn.

Gunakor
09-25-2009, 03:51 AM
He hadn't taken any reps at LT heading into that game. At least wait and see how he performs after actually having taken reps at the position during practice in the lead up to this weekends game. Besides, while Odom is no legend, he is a pretty good pass rusher. He got 2 sacks in week 1 against a LT that didn't give up a single one a season ago. And, to be fair, Odom only got three sacks on Colledge, the other two were on Cliffy. No telling whether he'd have wound up with 3 or 4 or 5 even if Cliffy hadn't gotten injured. He's no NFL legend, but he's scary good nonetheless.

SnakeLH2006
09-25-2009, 03:59 AM
He hadn't taken any reps at LT heading into that game. At least wait and see how he performs after actually having taken reps at the position during practice in the lead up to this weekends game. Besides, while Odom is no legend, he is a pretty good pass rusher. He got 2 sacks in week 1 against a LT that didn't give up a single one a season ago. And, to be fair, Odom only got three sacks on Colledge, the other two were on Cliffy. No telling whether he'd have wound up with 3 or 4 or 5 even if Cliffy hadn't gotten injured. He's no NFL legend, but he's scary good nonetheless.

I dunno, Gun, I give Colledge no leeway on this, cuz he knows he's a LT if need be. Maybe, I say fuck it, cuz look at the game (tape) and he got SO raped it's sad. He really looked poor ass poor on so many snaps. Colledge is pathetic at LT. Really, really sad. I'm only looking at the game from last week. He really looked whooped OVER and FUCKING OVER.

The whole point was Cliffy (who I thought/we all did thought was done) and Colledge was gonna step up.....NOPE. F5 Hurricane. DISASTER. Embarrasing shit. Colledge is no answer at ALL. Thus the point of this topic.

Let's resign him for $7-9 million yearly when we have a chance no? Waldo? No?? God thank god no...

Gunakor
09-25-2009, 04:48 AM

I dunno, Gun, I give Colledge no leeway on this, cuz he knows he's a LT if need be. Maybe, I say fuck it, cuz look at the game (tape) and he got SO raped it's sad. He really looked poor ass poor on so many snaps. Colledge is pathetic at LT. Really, really sad. I'm only looking at the game from last week. He really looked whooped OVER and FUCKING OVER.

The whole point was Cliffy (who I thought/we all did thought was done) and Colledge was gonna step up.....NOPE. F5 Hurricane. DISASTER. Embarrasing shit. Colledge is no answer at ALL. Thus the point of this topic.

Let's resign him for $7-9 million yearly when we have a chance no? Waldo? No?? God thank god no...

That's the problem. You're only looking at this one game, one in which he had prepared all week for at LG. They don't practice all week at 2 different positions. You say "he knows he's a LT if need be" but without any practice time at the position you can't realistically expect him to remain sharp. You just can't. It's a different position, different responsibility, different technique. This week he'll be preparing at LT, and should have a far better showing. If you remember last year he looked decent at LT when given reps at that position during practice. I suspect he'll be just fine again this weekend.

If Cliffy really was done, he wouldn't have been the starter at LT heading into the game against Cincy. And if he wasn't the starter at LT heading into the game against Cincy, Colledge would have been. And if Colledge would have been the starter heading into that game, he'd have gotten all the reps at LT heading into that game. And he'd have been much more effective for having those reps. Practice makes perfect, as the old saying goes. Give him time to practice before you ask for perfection.

packrulz
09-25-2009, 05:36 AM
I think Colledge will be ok at LT, but I think he's a really good left guard. I just don't understand why they aren't grooming Lang or Giacomoni (sp?) at LT so they don't have to shift half of the o-line when someone gets hurt. They figure it puts the "best 5 players" out there but I think it destroys continuity and they should be grooming a LT for future depth anyway, they can put a RB or TE over there to help for awhile. They went through the same crap last year and the line never did get settled, at least Mike Sherman had the o-line ready.

Bretsky
09-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Thank God we play the Rams; this week will be like plaing a JV team in the NFL. We'll be fine

Scott Campbell
09-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Thank God we play the Rams; this week will be like plaing a JV team in the NFL. We'll be fine

I think this Packer team can't afford to take anyone lightly. It's very, very difficult to win games behind a line like that.

Sparkey
09-25-2009, 09:04 AM

I bet your comment would have easily fit in the pregame week2 hype:

Thank God we play the Bungels; this week will be like plaing a JV team in the NFL. We'll be fine :lol:

SkinBasket
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Weren't most people, myself included, fine with the idea of Colledge taking over for Clifton when Clifton eventually retires or dies when his legs fall off his body on the field?

After the whole Barbe incident, now Colledge playing like a double amputee on one of those wheelie boards, at some point I might start looking at Campen with the same eyes I looked at Kurt Schottenheimer.

Cleft Crusty
09-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Weren't most people, myself included, fine with the idea of Colledge taking over for Clifton when Clifton eventually retires or dies when his legs fall off his body on the field?

At some point I might start looking at Campen with the same eyes I looked at Kurt Schottenheimer.

Why not start now? Clefty's next big exclusive may be on the O-line controversy. My relationship with the Bowflex SEII gym might provide some other 'inside the locker room' contacts willing to divulge what Campen really knows and when he knew it.

Pugger
09-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Plus didn't DC play on a sprained foot on top of switching positions during the game?

rbaloha1
09-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Always liked Colledge as a left tackle. Nice career at Boise as a lt. Performed well against future NFL des like Kiwanuka, Alama-Francis, Prucell, etc.

Colledege lack of upper body strength always concerned me though. This was clearly evident early in his career.

Recently thought Colledge upper body strength improved. Started playing with more nastiness and confidence.

However it was interesting Odom mentioning he had an advantage over Colledge in strength. Expect Colledege to struggle with rushers with a strength advantage. Shall be surprised if Colledge repeats an Odom-type performance.

SMACKTALKIE
09-25-2009, 12:36 PM

I bet your comment would have easily fit in the pregame week2 hype:

Thank God we play the Bungels; this week will be like plaing a JV team in the NFL. We'll be fine :lol:

Will Colledge play mostly against Chris Long this weekend? If so that will prove to be a good test for him.

I have not heard much out of Long since he was drafted. That is probably because of the team he plays on, but he was highly touted out of college.

Freak Out
09-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Little is licking his chops.

denverYooper
09-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Colledge will adjust and will be at least average with some reps under his belt. He's a pretty sharp dude.

imscott72
09-25-2009, 01:44 PM

Man B, why you gotta say stuff like that? :cry:

rbaloha1
09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
[quote="Freak Out"]Little is licking his chops.[/quote

It is scary. Look for more draws, screens and dump offs.

Gunakor
09-25-2009, 02:43 PM

Little vs Barbre could be interesting.

SkinBasket
09-25-2009, 03:13 PM

It is scary. Look for more draws, screens and dump offs.

Which will go for -1, 4, and 3 yards respectfully. Better start chilling the ice packs for the punter's leg now.

bobblehead
09-25-2009, 04:02 PM

As a former Cliffy fan I would like to say he was bitch slapped in the first half by the same guy...and cliffy had all preseason to practice at LT (and more than 3 running plays to keep the cat honest). I can't say if he was any good week one vs. the Bears because Babre's guy was hammering ARod before cliffys guy...not exactly an endorsement.

Cliffy is slipping badly. I wanted TT to draft an LT this year at our first pick, but we got fat boy instead. I like college, he has developed into a really good guard. He played great RT albeit against the Lions last year. I think with a week of practice and more than 3 running plays in his half of playing LT he will be adequate...not great, but not the weak point of the line either.

Fritz
09-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Next year, Bobblehead. Next year.

Waldo
09-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Colledge is the kinda guy that can play LT, but agaisnt some player types, the long armed leverage guys (like Odom), he needs flawless technique to keep from getting beat.

He's unusually athletic though and smart, kinda like Jordan Gross an Matt Light, both are a little small, but smart and athletic.

I wouldn't expect him to step right in and excel. He's not a Clady. Leave him at LT for a year though and he'll be a solid player. Probably never be more than a 4-8 sack/yr guy, he's just not the kinda guy that can have those 0-1 sack seasons.

He brings run blocking ability to the table, something that many of the elite pass pro guys (like Clifton) just aren't great at.

You can win with DC at LT, given time to master the position he would surely not be a liability, but I doubt that he ever goes to Hawaii as a LT.

Fritz
09-25-2009, 07:45 PM
It's an area of need. I would have liked for Meredith to be able to stay with the Pack this year.

But, as (I think) PB or Vince pointed out, there will be Jamon Meredith next year, too.

It's just that they need someone to develop a little faster than three years.

Waldo
09-25-2009, 08:02 PM
DC is not the kinda guy at LT that will prevent you from spending big draft capital on an elite prospect.

But I'm not sure that you'd go after the Ugoh-Staley caliber prospects with Colledge at LT.

Waldo
09-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Colledge is an OK guard, and that is it. I really like you Waldo (well sometimes...where's J. Thompson....and where's my man Bishop..but whatever..I'll let that go), but saying Colledge needs a new big contract...he's this and that...I shut up and let you say it. I'll kill myself if the Pack resigns Colledge to big deal.

Do you know what the going rate is for a solid LG that can fill in as a swing tackle, 2nd contract?

Right now about 5M/yr

DC has a lot of money on the line this week. Even with the bad week last week, in his career he's shown enough at LT and RT that the market will view him as a solid LG/swing T. These next two games are probably the biggest 2 games of his career. He shows starting LT ability in the next 2 weeks, and he's bumped up to a low end LT money, about 7M/yr.

He has no contract next year. You don't want him to have a new deal, he walks. His current market value is surely no less than 5M/yr. Our line is in deep shit if Colledge gets away.

Fritz
09-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I was wondering about this same thing, Wal.

How does this shift to left tackle affect his contract status?

Better sign him up, right away. He plays well at LT, the price goes up and up.

And I do want him to play well.

So extend that mofo!

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2009, 09:18 PM
It's just that they need someone to develop a little faster than three years.

The NFL needs to consider some sort of system whereby teams are allowed to bid for the services of veteran players whose contracts have expired. A "free agency" to coin a phrase.

bobblehead
09-25-2009, 11:13 PM

But this year was the year that had 4 LT's that could be top 5 picks in most drafts. Even if we reached we would have gotten a good one. All 4 were equal or better prospects to the dude the Jets got at 4 when we got hawk. LT's don't come from nowhere in round 4, most of them are high first round picks...especially the great ones.

Waldo
09-25-2009, 11:26 PM

But this year was the year that had 4 LT's that could be top 5 picks in most drafts. Even if we reached we would have gotten a good one. All 4 were equal or better prospects to the dude the Jets got at 4 when we got hawk. LT's don't come from nowhere in round 4, most of them are high first round picks...especially the great ones.

Who, Oher?

Jason Smith was/is hella raw; Andre had/has weight problems, Monroe had/has a bum knee, and Oher is an idiot.

There was no Joe Thomas in this draft. In a draft with a Joe Thomas caliber prospect, I'm not sure any of these guys would have been taken in the top 10.

Partial
09-25-2009, 11:27 PM

I completely disagree. I don't think any of the top 3 guys this year ( Monroe, Smith or Smith) touches Long, Thomas or Ferguson in terms of prospect-itude. Thomas was elite and the best of the bunch imo, but I know a lot of draftniks seemed to think that Fergie was still the better prospect (probably because he was black, but so damn skinny for an LT).

Rastak
09-25-2009, 11:37 PM

Who, Oher?

Jason Smith was/is hella raw; Andre had/has weight problems, Monroe had/has a bum knee, and Oher is an idiot.

There was no Joe Thomas in this draft. In a draft with a Joe Thomas caliber prospect, I'm not sure any of these guys would have been taken in the top 10.

Plenty of idiots in the NFL, even on the roster of your favorite team right now. Not just your's but mine too.....Oher is holding his own. He's holding his spot down and getting it done.

woodbuck27
09-26-2009, 09:02 AM

Is that the excuse or the problem? MM has to be prepared to substitute someone at LT in the event that Clifton falls and he has been and will finally. There is no excuse for MM not to substitute Colledge at LT for some snaps in a game situation. Adversity is a fact of life in the NFL and MM has to be prepared to deal with it effectively.

GO PACKERS!

Fritz
09-26-2009, 10:01 AM
I'd rather have a BJ than any of this year's top LT prospects.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not the
Packers' GM!

MJZiggy
09-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Why is that good? You made the same choice he did...

mraynrand
09-26-2009, 10:14 AM
prospectitude?

Waldo
09-26-2009, 11:20 AM

Who, Oher?

Plenty of idiots in the NFL, even on the roster of your favorite team right now. Not just your's but mine too.....Oher is holding his own. He's holding his spot down and getting it done.

I understand that. He does look very good.

Our RT is the same way. Extremely talented, but dumb.

Hindsight is great. The OL especially LT, is noted as a thinking man's position. A lack of on field intelligence is a significant blow to an OL in prospect evaluation.

Oher is just not a top 5 OL prospect. That doesn't mean he can't excel, and from all appearances he's going to (thus far he's been the best OT taken in the draft), but that is only with the benefit of hindsight.

As a prospect he just wasn't a safe enough choice to go very high.

Waldo
09-26-2009, 11:22 AM

Is that the excuse or the problem? MM has to be prepared to substitute someone at LT in the event that Clifton falls and he has been and will finally. There is no excuse for MM not to substitute Colledge at LT for some snaps in a game situation. Adversity is a fact of life in the NFL and MM has to be prepared to deal with it effectively.

GO PACKERS!

Then why was everyone cheering the ending of the "musical chairs"?

Gunakor
09-26-2009, 11:42 AM

GO PACKERS!

But that would have taken reps away at LG. You don't practice all week expecting an injury. You anticipate the possibility, but you don't prepare that way. If Colledge had split reps at LG and LT during the week of practice, how can you be sure he'd be as effective at LG? That's a VERY valid reason not to have him split reps at 2 positions.

SnakeLH2006
09-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Again and again. Snake was elated to grab Raji when we did. No probs there. It was either that or an ELITE ass OT prospect. Most often (but most likely top OT prospects come in the first or 2nd round of the draft). We got Raji. He'll pan out as ELITE at some point (if he doesn't pull a JH and just bust out...doubt it though).

Waldo, this topic wasn't a diss to your knowledge (you have plenty...more than most all Rats). But Colledge at OT is not the answer.

I think DC is great at OG. But the prob. is that they (MM) like to rotate the line, instead of just pulling up a straight backup when someone goes down. That needs to change. Too much flux=unprepardedness and questions. At OG, Colledge is pretty damn good over the last season, at OT he really got his ass handed to him last week. No one can dispute that.

He's great with smarts on run-gapping, and at pass-protect as a LG. Really good...

At LT, he's a pariah. Worth some limited cash ($5 million at LG, but as Cliffy's godsend at LT....pathetic.) I threw things at my HDTV watching DC go out and about getting whooped with no technique (but really is there such a thing when you barely touch the DE and get just absolutely roasted...and not only on the sacks...?...like play after play...DG is lost at LT, no?).

Arod had NO TIME. That is not a guy worth alot, regardless of position. NFL players play. Dude had/has absolutely zero instincts at LT. Maybe Cliffy (I thought he was done for the last 2 years....) is of some value. OBVIOUSLY, else his big contact would not have been honored.

Maybe Favre was so good for so long cuz he had 2 bookend OT's (Cliffy and Tauch in their primes protecting him). No? I think ARod can be great, but those sieves at both OT spots make me sick.

Bottom Line:

Colledge will NEVER be ProBowl caliber. Too freaking weak at the POA (point of attack) at OT.

I don't like Colledge as an OT, but maybe that hinges on MM as he likes to shift his top 6-7 guys around, maybe he should just get some backups at LT that CAN/DO play LT. Colledge is/has proven to be a HUGE ASS sieve at LT. That CANNOT continue. He made no future money for himself at LT (ain't like Odom is Julius Peppers), but at LG he's pretty damn good. That's all.

Waldo
09-27-2009, 05:29 AM
You're pretty fired up there snakey.

Lets see him with some practice time under his belt. He's looked pretty good when he's spent some time at LT and had practice. You just can't expect a guy to come in and play shut down LT after not taking a single snap there in the last 10 months.

Face it, "no musical chairs", what was hailed as the answer, was a really dumb idea.

Gunakor
09-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Bottom Line:

Colledge will NEVER be ProBowl caliber.

You're right, he probably won't be. That isn't the point. Chad Clifton was well into his 30's before he made the Pro Bowl - for the first and only time in his career - following the 2007 season. And as a backup to boot.

Can he get the job done adequately enough that the offense will function? That's really all I'm concerned with. He doesn't have to be a top 2 LT in the NFC for me to be happy. There's plenty of guys who don't make the Pro Bowl that are good enough to get the job done. Guys who actually practice at and play LT full time, something Colledge hasn't done in his career. Give him a chance. He hasn't really had one yet.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Bottom Line:

Colledge will NEVER be ProBowl caliber.

You're right, he probably won't be. That isn't the point. Chad Clifton was well into his 30's before he made the Pro Bowl - for the first and only time in his career - following the 2007 season. And as a backup to boot.

Can he get the job done adequately enough that the offense will function? That's really all I'm concerned with. He doesn't have to be a top 2 LT in the NFC for me to be happy. There's plenty of guys who don't make the Pro Bowl that are good enough to get the job done. Guys who actually practice at and play LT full time, something Colledge hasn't done in his career. Give him a chance. He hasn't really had one yet.

Nail on the head.

How many pro bowl LTs did we have when we went back 2 back to the SB? :roll:

SnakeLH2006
10-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Colledge wasn't quite the F-5 disaster like he was in week 2 vs. week 3, but I still hold my doubts if he can hold his own at LT (fish out of water, not enough strength to hold the point of attack vs. quick, stronger DE's).

Anyway, Snake NEVER thought that Cliffy was that good in his last 2 years (age, injuries) but it looks like he might now play again (and if he does, he'll get roasted if he plays hurt)...but it can't be any worse (Cliffy injured vs. Collledge healthy, no?). Colledge just sucks at LT:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hspJHS4VnDlkJ_8YDQ6Bq0_IMO4A

Status of injured Packers LT Clifton unclear heading into Monday's Vikings matchup

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (CP) – 6 hours ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. — Green Bay Packers left tackle Chad Clifton did not practice again Friday, decreasing his chances of playing Monday night against the Minnesota Vikings.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Clifton had a setback while rehabilitating his sprained right ankle Friday but will try to practice again Saturday. McCarthy said Clifton would "at best" be a game-time decision Monday.

Clifton was hurt in a Week 2 loss to Cincinnati and sat out Sunday's victory at St. Louis. Daryn Colledge has filled in for Clifton.

Also, the Packers added defensive linemen Johnny Jolly and B.J. Raji to their injury report as limited participants in practice Friday. Jolly has an abdomen injury that flared up in practice Thursday and Raji aggravated an ankle injury in the same practice.

esoxx
10-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Screw the Pro Bowl talk. All I want to see out of Colledge is some form of competence from him at LT, something that hasn't been seen so far and that worries me greatly going in to this game.
DC is a very good guard, worked all offseason at that position and was looking forward to a solid year. He prefers guard and felt settled in the position. I don't think his heart's in to LT and his confidence has to be shaken.
I view his performance Monday night as the key to the outcome.

MJZiggy
10-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Screw the Pro Bowl talk. All I want to see out of Colledge is some form of competence from him at LT, something that hasn't been seen so far and that worries me greatly going in to this game.
DC is a very good guard, worked all offseason at that position and was looking forward to a solid year. He prefers guard and felt settled in the position. I don't think his heart's in to LT and his confidence has to be shaken.

I've seen enough interviews and clips of DC to confidently say that his confidence is not shaken. In this situation he will dig in and do what he needs to do to get his feet under him. You just made my point, though. He's spent his whole NFL career at guard. Give him a chance to get used to tackle.

The Shadow
10-03-2009, 12:31 PM
The offensive line needs to hold up the Vikes long enough for Rodgers to get off slants.
We have an advantage with our receivers over their secondary - but it won't do much good unless we can get it into the hands of the skills guys. Let them have the chance to make something happen.
If we can succeed with this, along with a few runs mixed in, it will open things up for the rest of the playbook.
A coming-out party for Finley would be sweet. Time to take the cellophane wrapper off him.

MJZiggy
10-03-2009, 04:36 PM
A coming-out party for Finley would be sweet. Time to take the cellophane wrapper off him.

:lol: :lol: Nice.

retailguy
10-03-2009, 05:43 PM

I agree. This would be wonderful. I hope he can block.

pbmax
10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Finley and Lee have to hold backside blocks. If they did nothing but that, then the run game would improve.

SnakeLH2006
10-07-2009, 12:48 AM

Well that happened and then some. Very happy with J-Fin's progress...

But word is Colledge is still at the Metrodome looking for his jockstrap. :roll: :evil:

bobblehead
10-07-2009, 01:15 AM

But word is Colledge is still at the Metrodome looking for his jockstrap. :roll: :evil:

considering he was playing against Jared Allen I think he wasn't that bad. I have rewatched the entire first half in slow motion and I would say spitz was awful, Babre was bad and College was average, but going against a top 3 DE.

the sack turned fumble in the first quarter was as much on Babre and Arod as it was on College, it was a quick hit play, ARod held the ball, Babre broke down like, immediately and ARod was forced to turn into Allen when the ball should have been gone already. He also cut and moved Allen in the run game in the first quarter. Bottom line though, we ran effectively in the first quarter and we passed effectively too. Arod threw a red zone pick and had a red zone fumble. By the third quarter MM forgot how to call a run or a screen and shortly after TJ Lang was in the game.

Remember, that stud Cliffy gave up either 2 or 3 of the sacks to the dude from cincinatti....not like college gave up all five.

Gunakor
10-07-2009, 01:35 AM

Cmon Snake. Colledge isn't the first LT that Jared Allen has embarrased, and he won't be the last.

You know, MM could have helped him out a little bit more than he did. Chip Allen with Grant or Lee, or hell, maybe run the ball a bit more than 15 times or so for the game. Take the pass rushers out of pass rush mode. I mean, we knew it was gonna be a mismatch ever since the Bungles game. Colledge trying to block Allen? We should have planned better for that and executed that better plan. Colledge got whipped. Repeatedly. But we knew that was gonna happen weeks in advance and did nothing to stop it. So who's to blame?

SnakeLH2006
10-07-2009, 02:05 AM

Cmon Snake. Colledge isn't the first LT that Jared Allen has embarrased, and he won't be the last.

You know, MM could have helped him out a little bit more than he did. Chip Allen with Grant or Lee, or hell, maybe run the ball a bit more than 15 times or so for the game. Take the pass rushers out of pass rush mode. I mean, we knew it was gonna be a mismatch ever since the Bungles game. Colledge trying to block Allen? We should have planned better for that and executed that better plan. Colledge got whipped. Repeatedly. But we knew that was gonna happen weeks in advance and did nothing to stop it. So who's to blame?

I agree, but Colledge is really, really an embarrassment week in week out at LT. He was making strides at LG and looked good there. It's not ALL his fault, as MM is too blame (and he did it again with the freakin' musical chairs scenario). Enough with switching in the "top 6-7" guys and get used to having someone take over. By then, it was too late and Lang gave up a late sack too. Always, liked Cliffy, and totally see/saw him slip over the past 2 years, but he's still eons better than Colledge at LT. Why not KEEP Colledge at LG and be solid, instead of moving 3/5 the line and making them ALL weak? Barbre is a seive too, but not as bad as Colledge has been as of late. It's really embarrassing. No doubt the Pack is looking at resigning Taucher per JSOnline.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/63648362.html

Regardless, a good age old quote hangs true: Put your Aces in their places. Colledge at LG is pretty good. Colledge at LT is absolutely atrochious. That shit (half on MM for doing it, half on Colledge for being so putrid regardless if was Allen) goes half-blame on both. But Colledge needs to man up. He needs to at least put some effort in...Allen would have had 8 sacks himself if ARod wasn't able to get away from half of the non-sack pressures. I slo-moed/DVR'd the game too, and saw him just get roasted over and over...hardly even touching Allen.

Can't wait for old-ass Cliffy to come back, and that is sad.

MichiganPackerFan
10-07-2009, 08:13 AM

He should check with Jared Allen, looks like he's wearing it around his head

mmmdk
10-07-2009, 08:17 AM

Ouch ! Hilarious !!

mraynrand
10-07-2009, 08:26 AM
By the third quarter MM forgot how to call a run or a screen and shortly after TJ Lang was in the game.

Hmmmm...could there be a coincidence here?

After Matthews scores, Packers O doesn't touch ball until down 28-14 in the third. You lose your second LT. Probably you aren't going to run much down two TDs and you aren't going to run to many screens since 1) you don't practice them much to begin with and 2) you never practiced them with this group of lineman. In-game injuries always cause the playbook to shrink.

SnakeLH2006
10-07-2009, 05:23 PM

Ouch ! Hilarious !!

LMAO. YES. It really does, doesn't it? Those darn, crazy rednecks and their jockstrap headbands nowadays I tell ya. :shock: :lol:

I tried to Twitter Colledge that I found it, but he's been off Twitter lately for some reason or another.

Fritz
10-07-2009, 05:37 PM
By the third quarter MM forgot how to call a run or a screen and shortly after TJ Lang was in the game.

After Matthews scores, Packers O doesn't touch ball until down 28-14 in the third. You lose your second LT. Probably you aren't going to run much down two TDs and you aren't going to run to many screens since 1) you don't practice them much to begin with and 2) you never practiced them with this group of lineman. In-game injuries always cause the playbook to shrink.

That's not my recollection, Atlas. Pack got the ball with about four minutes left in the first half. MM called three passes. Packers punted.

That was exactly the moment to call two running plays. Hell, if you pick up five yards on the two carries you still only face a third and five. And you let the other team know you're not just passing all day.

It was a crucial moment, to me.

mraynrand
10-07-2009, 06:23 PM

That's not my recollection, Atlas. Pack got the ball with about four minutes left in the first half. MM called three passes. Packers punted.

That was exactly the moment to call two running plays. Hell, if you pick up five yards on the two carries you still only face a third and five. And you let the other team know you're not just passing all day.

It was a crucial moment, to me.

The drive you are talking about was at 14-7. I agree that it might have been a good time to call a run. I might have called the run on the thrid and five after the completed pass to Lee. After that drive, they got the strip by Matthews and then MN scored two TDs in a row, with only 30 sec. at the end of the half for the Packer offense. After that, down 28-14, you can call draws and so forth, but you are up against the clock. And screens have to be out with the makeshift(ed) line.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=291005016&period=2

esoxx
10-07-2009, 10:40 PM

I've seen enough interviews and clips of DC to confidently say that his confidence is not shaken. In this situation he will dig in and do what he needs to do to get his feet under him. You just made my point, though. He's spent his whole NFL career at guard. Give him a chance to get used to tackle.

No more chances for DC at tackle. Can't do it, not happening. Sometimes you need to grow in to the role, sometimes you just don't have what it takes at the position. That experiment should never see the light of day again. When a 4th round rookie guard with minimal practice reps at LT comes in and plays better, you know it's OVAH.

Gunakor
10-08-2009, 01:30 AM

No more chances for DC at tackle. Can't do it, not happening. Sometimes you need to grow in to the role, sometimes you just don't have what it takes at the position. That experiment should never see the light of day again. When a 4th round rookie guard with minimal practice reps at LT comes in and plays better, you know it's OVAH.

Lang did not come in and play better than Colledge. When Lang came in the Vikings went to a prevent defense, as opposed to the pin-your-ears-back-and-go type blitzes Colledge had seen beforehand. They were picking on Colledge specifically. Late in the game, when the Vikings started turning up the heat again, Lang gave up a sack to Allen too. I really don't see where the improvement was when Colledge got hurt, other than that the Vikings didn't bring as much pressure anymore.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Gun,

I think the first 2 plays were run to the opposite side of Lang as well...can't recall if they were runs or passes.

Comparing Lang to Colledge is foolish at best.

SnakeLH2006
10-09-2009, 01:14 AM

Couldn't have said it better...but how much you wanna bet MM keeps being bull-headed and props him out there again at LT if Cliffy can't go.

Snake's Take:

-Lang might roasted the same as Colledge did at LT.
-Lang is a rookie. I'd expect it.
-I'd expect Colledge being able to man-up and play some semblance of LT.
-NOPE. He's proven he's a black-hole out there.
-Colledge can hold his own and dominate at times at LG.
-Keep Colledge there so at least LG and Center are good.
-NOPE. MM will go with his BS again of "best 6 guys" and "musical chairs" most likely leaving Colledge to get his ass handed to him till Cliffy is healthy.
-Snake wondered why we'd resign Tausher and keep Cliffy's big contract.
-Snake knows why now.

It's fucking ridiculous, but MM will keep putting Colledge out there to get his ass whooped and weaken the ENTIRE line at 3 spots. If we don't make the playoffs, this is SO on MM...and Snake will lead the charge for his dismissal based on that Bull-Head logic. Just start Lang and help out with TE/RB (chipping to help Lang at LT). Be really good at LG,C, RG, and so-so at RT....instead of bitch ass at LT, embarrassing at LG, weak at C, good at RG and bad at RT.

Even a frickin' monkey knows that. I don't hate Darren Colledge. He'd be really good at LG. So why do this bull-head shit week after week? Numbs my mind. Makes no sense.

To take a quote from Ty: Sad.

swede
10-09-2009, 07:20 AM
...ridiculous, but MM will keep putting Colledge out there to get his ass whooped and weaken the ENTIRE line at 3 spots. If we don't make the playoffs, this is SO on MM...and Snake will lead the charge for his dismissal based on that Bull-Head logic. Just start Lang and help out with TE/RB (chipping to help Lang at LT). Be really good at LG,C, RG, and so-so at RT....instead of bitch ass at LT, embarrassing at LG, weak at C, good at RG and bad at RT.

A deft riposte which I find very persuading.

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Lang looks like a chubby 8th grader.

Pugger
10-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Would you rather have Colledge or Lang a LT until Cliffy returns? In a perfect healthy world MM would keep DC at guard. Colledge is no tackle. That poor guy was a spinning top trying to keep Allen out of there before he hurt his ankle. Unfortunately we don't have anybody else to back up Clifton besides Lang right now. We aren't the only team in the league that has depth issues. When the NY Giant's Kenny Phillips went down they had to pick up Rouse off the street because they had no true S backup.

mraynrand
10-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Remember at the end of August when we were so stocked with talent that the reps from other teams couldn't get on the planes fast enough to come see our preseason games and drool over the guys we were going to release?

Now, here it is with October just beginning, the Packers are 2-2 and bereft of talent, out of playoff contention, pathetic, incompetent, worn down to nothing, just waiting for the season's end that can't come quickly enough.

We'll get 'em next year Packer Fans!!

denverYooper
10-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Remember at the end of August when we were so stocked with talent that the reps from other teams couldn't get on the planes fast enough to come see our preseason games and drool over the guys we were going to release?

Now, here it is with October just beginning, the Packers are 2-2 and bereft of talent, out of playoff contention, pathetic, incompetent, worn down to nothing, just waiting for the season's end that can't come quickly enough.

BOMNF!

bobblehead
10-09-2009, 02:46 PM

Well, it just goes to show....packer fans over value their own big time. That being said I thought we were solid as well. I didn't expect the OL to be anywhere NEAR this bad and if anyone says they saw rouse getting cut outright after 2 games they are a damn liar.

Zool
10-09-2009, 03:58 PM

Well, it just goes to show.... fans over value their own big time. That being said I thought we were solid as well. I didn't expect the OL to be anywhere NEAR this bad and if anyone says they saw rouse getting cut outright after 2 games they are a damn liar.

Fixed

Sparkey
10-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Well, it just goes to show.... fans over value their own big time. That being said I thought we were solid as well. I didn't expect the OL to be anywhere NEAR this bad and if anyone says they saw rouse getting cut outright after 2 games they are a damn liar.

Fixed

You fool! :x Packer fans are the only fans that pull this shit year after year. Get it straight man. :wink:

mraynrand
10-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Don't be jealous, Harlan. Sometimes those chubby kids shed that baby fat, turn out OK - and get the girl!

http://www.heatworld.com/img/upload/500x400/1000049932.jpg

http://8donkeys.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/rebecca_romijn_bebe.jpg

rbaloha1
10-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Don't be jealous, Harlan. Sometimes those chubby kids shed that baby fat, turn out OK - and get the girl!

http://www.heatworld.com/img/upload/500x400/1000049932.jpg

Boy oh boy several board members were giddy over the Lang selection. Give the guy a chance.

Recall Wahle struggled as an lt. Recall Barbre struggled but is showing constant improvement and consistency.

Colledge on the hand is a big disappointment. Thought he was better lt than guard -- boy was I wrong.

Should TT resign Colledge or let him go after the season?

http://8donkeys.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/rebecca_romijn_bebe.jpg

SnakeLH2006
10-16-2009, 12:14 AM
That chick is hot...who is that?

Anyway instead of starting a new topic about the Colledge/Cliffy drama, I just updated the title.

So what's the deal. Snake's been off Rats for a week/any sports news...Is Cliffy starting this week? What's the latest?

I'm thinking of taking the Pack over the Lions in my elimination pool. Safe bet?