PDA

View Full Version : McGinn Channels Harlan

pbmax
09-27-2009, 10:07 AM
One Bob McGinn goes after everyone involved in the Packers O line today (Packer Insider, sorry, I know that's garbage) and he sound quite a lot like Blue Dog has since cut down day.

-- Covers the lack of playable depth at both tackle positions in favor of Giacomini and Dietrich-Smith neither of whom can play yet and Lang who the coaches look like they would rather not play\

-- Calls it unbelievable that Colledge wasn't put at RT before Barbre given Colledge's performance in the Lions game at the end of 08

-- He does call Barbre a much more natural tackle than guard and says he fits better than Colledge for body type at tackle. Doesn't read than McGinn thinks it likely Colledge would find long term success at LT

-- Questions Barbre's brain and tendency to fight. First Wonderlic was 11, followed by a 15. Only Kevin Barry scored lower and while Clifton and Rivera were just barely higher, each came from a big time power conference unlike Barbre's Division 2 background.

-- Mentions Meredith but kills them for signing Dane Randolph rather than an experienced vet

-- Covers the bodies that were available in the offseason including today's opponent's Right Tackle

-- he hits on wist's point that Thompson has yet to invest a 1st round pick on O Line and has just one 2nd and one 3rd there so far.

-- Covers Campen's lack of experience (Patler has been on this) compared to previous successful Packer O line coaches (also covers the guys who could have been hired during the great coaching purge of 08-09)

-- ends with a turnaround that of course everything could change and McCarthy's line have had two bad games in a row to start the season twice and bounced back for week 3. He might be going soft.

Might be time for Joe Admin to put Blue Dog on the Packer Beat. :D

Scott Campbell
09-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Come on. McGinn isn't that annoying.

pbmax
09-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Its a weird article. His heart and head aren't in it like when he went after Sherman for his GM work and BJ Sander. So he is throwing a lot against the wall hoping some of it explains the performance so far.

But at the end he says it may all work out. I don't remember that sentiment about Sherman and GM. So I am left unconvinced that he believes any of it is fatal.

mraynrand
09-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Did McGinn have any position on shooting kids in the back for stealing beer from a neighbors' garage?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Its a weird article. His heart and head aren't in it like when he went after Sherman for his GM work and BJ Sander. So he is throwing a lot against the wall hoping some of it explains the performance so far.

But at the end he says it may all work out. I don't remember that sentiment about Sherman and GM. So I am left unconvinced that he believes any of it is fatal.

I don't know about your assesment pb.

But, maybe....well, those insiders paid for content. So, you gotta deliver something.

Fritz
09-27-2009, 11:29 AM
As far as what he's throwing against the wall...

I don't buy the "oh-my-god-they-have-no-first-round-picks-on-the-line-that's-why-they-suck" theory.

I have six reasons for this:

1. Chad Clifton (2nd round)
2. Mike Wahle (supplemental pick - 2nd round)
3. Mike Flanagan - 4th round
4. Frankie Beans - was he drafted at all?
5. Marco Rivera - 6th round - or was it fifth?
Mark Tauscher - 7th round

This was the line that blocked when Ahman Green was tearing it up. This was the line people bitched that Thompson willfully tore up.

Bretsky
09-27-2009, 12:03 PM

I don't buy the "oh-my-god-they-have-no-first-round-picks-on-the-line-that's-why-they-suck" theory.

This was the line that blocked when Ahman Green was tearing it up. This was the line people bitched that Thompson willfully tore up.

a good line created by all Ron Wolf picks

Tyrone Bigguns
09-27-2009, 03:51 PM

Clifton, Flanagan, Wahle, Rivera, Tausch...all from big time programs...ok,maybe not Wahle..but still D1...that is also McGinn's point...that they were low picks and raw ,but use to the demands (intellectual) of big time football.

bobblehead
09-27-2009, 05:32 PM

Wasnt' flanny a 3rd?? Anyway I remember once Wolf saying you find sleepers amongst the backups or one season performers at big time programs...edgar bennet was his example as I recall.

TT has an eye for reciever talent, Wolf had an eye for line talent...but remember he blew two first round picks scratching for an LT before cliffy stepped up. Is the other poster sure cliffy and tauscher were wolf picks and not sherman/hatley picks?

denverYooper
09-27-2009, 05:37 PM
One Bob McGinn goes after everyone involved in the Packers O line today (Packer Insider, sorry, I know that's garbage) and he sound quite a lot like Blue Dog has since cut down day.

-- Covers the lack of playable depth at both tackle positions in favor of Giacomini and Dietrich-Smith neither of whom can play yet and Lang who the coaches look like they would rather not play\

-- Calls it unbelievable that Colledge wasn't put at RT before Barbre given Colledge's performance in the Lions game at the end of 08

-- He does call Barbre a much more natural tackle than guard and says he fits better than Colledge for body type at tackle. Doesn't read than McGinn thinks it likely Colledge would find long term success at LT

-- Questions Barbre's brain and tendency to fight. First Wonderlic was 11, followed by a 15. Only Kevin Barry scored lower and while Clifton and Rivera were just barely higher, each came from a big time power conference unlike Barbre's Division 2 background.

-- Mentions Meredith but kills them for signing Dane Randolph rather than an experienced vet

-- Covers the bodies that were available in the offseason including today's opponent's Right Tackle

-- he hits on wist's point that Thompson has yet to invest a 1st round pick on O Line and has just one 2nd and one 3rd there so far.

-- Covers Campen's lack of experience (Patler has been on this) compared to previous successful Packer O line coaches (also covers the guys who could have been hired during the great coaching purge of 08-09)

-- ends with a turnaround that of course everything could change and McCarthy's line have had two bad games in a row to start the season twice and bounced back for week 3. He might be going soft.

Might be time for Joe Admin to put Blue Dog on the Packer Beat. :D

If we could even get a link that works on the front page, that'd be awesome.

pbmax
09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Did McGinn have any position on shooting kids in the back for stealing beer from a neighbors' garage?
I didn't realize Harlan and you lived in the same neighborhood!?

Noodle
09-28-2009, 12:31 AM
All those guys on that line were Wolf guys.

Flanny was a third. Cliffy and Tauscher were drafted by Wolf in 2000. Sherman didn't start messing with the draft until 2001. Frankie was drafted in the 10th by Cleveland, then came to GB in 1992 after bouncing around with some other teams, same year as Favre.

Cleft Crusty
09-28-2009, 12:37 AM
All those guys on that line were Wolf guys.

Flanny was a third. Cliffy and Tauscher were drafted by Wolf in 2000. Sherman didn't start messing with the draft until 2001. Frankie was drafted in the 10th by Cleveland, then came to GB in 1992 after bouncing around with some other teams, same year as Favre.

Sherman's first official draft was 2002. 2001 is Wolf's even though Shermie had input. Sherman did nothing with the O-line, except pick up Barry as a rookie FA, and draft Wells. That's not good enough in 3 years. Houghton and Curtin were both 6th round losers.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Questions Barbre's brain and tendency to fight. First Wonderlic was 11, followed by a 15. Only Kevin Barry scored lower

I saw Barbre on the Mike McCarthy Show last summer and I heard banjo music in my head. You can't tell how smart somebody is from a TV interview, but if you could, I would say he is too dumb to participate in organized sports.

I thought the offensive line was slightly better this week, but that's faint praise. Both tackles are still getting beat too soon in pass protection, and Scott Wells gets pushed into the backfield on running plays, often messing-up the timing. Wells is listed at 300 lbs or so, but I don't believe it, he's a midget in the land of the giants.

Fritz
09-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Questions Barbre's brain and tendency to fight. First Wonderlic was 11, followed by a 15. Only Kevin Barry scored lower

I saw Barbre on the Mike McCarthy Show last summer and I heard banjo music in my head. You can't tell how smart somebody is from a TV interview, but if you could, I would say he is too dumb to participate in organized sports.

I thought the offensive line was slightly better this week, but that's faint praise. Both tackles are still getting beat too soon in pass protection, and Scott Wells gets pushed into the backfield on running plays, often messing-up the timing. Wells is listed at 300 lbs or so, but I don't believe it, he's a midget in the land of the giants.

You shore do have a purty mouth, blue dawg.

An' I thought you liked that Scott Wells. You wanted to bring him back.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2009, 09:18 AM
It's true that I called for Scott Wells to be returned as starter, but I've also demanded that he be cut, so I am on solid ground.

pbmax
09-28-2009, 09:29 AM
It's true that I called for Scott Wells to be returned as starter, but I've also demanded that he be cut, so I am on solid ground.
I think you might be fit for higher office.

Funny how the calls for Colledge as the Left Tackle of the future have slowed down.