PDA

View Full Version : The Game

Partial
09-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Are you guys ready for this upcoming game? I don't even need to write a paragraph to explain the battle of epic proportions. This game is the biggest game of TT's tenure imo.

If we lose, we're two games back in the division. If we win, we're on top of the division.

Brando19
09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
I believe the NFC Championship game was TT's biggest game. I believe this upcoming game is the second biggest. He had better have a team ready to beat Favre twice this year or his face will be all over Sportscenter.

MJZiggy
09-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Nah. They won't bother with TT. I'm looking at it like this: it was several years before Favre put in a decent performance against Mike Holmgren. He'd get himself all hyped up for it and come out wild and unfocused. Here's hoping that hatred and respect garner the same reaction.

Partial
09-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Gary Ellerson and LeRoy Butler have both outright said on WSSP that they expect we'll finally get the truth about what happened out this week. They both have said the story that they've heard is very different than what has been publicly known so far.

That's exciting, but it's going to be a media frenzy. I'm not going anywhere near sports radio or sports center this week as you know it's going to be 24/7 Favre-Packers watch.

Without a doubt I think this game is bigger than the conference championship. At least in the court of public opinion. If ARod wins these games and looks great, than TT will be a hero. If Favre goes off (he likely will) and chucks 3 TDs while winning 28 -10, Teets will look awfully bad and get a hounding from the media.

Drama aside, this game is a divisional game with huge playoff ramifications. Beat your biggest rival on the road goes a long distance towards getting to the playoffs. Lose this game and you're two games back with a tie breaker going to the rival. Very tough to overcome that.

pbmax
09-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Gary Ellerson and LeRoy Butler have both outright said on WSSP that they expect we'll finally get the truth about what happened out this week. They both have said the story that they've heard is very different than what has been publicly known so far.
Game week? There is no way T2 is talking. So you must believe Brett is ready for Greta 2.

And after Greta 1, what do they think is left to say?

PackerTimer
09-27-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm not expecting to win this game. I was particularly expecting to win it before Favre joined the Vikings. Minny's a tough game, I would expect them to hold serve at home. Hopefully the Packers would turn around and do the same thing in a few weeks. It's too early to call it a must win game, way too much football to play.

That being said, I guess it is fairly important in public opinion for those who still want to continue to dwell on the whole mess from two years ago like you know ESPN will. So, yeah it might be important in regards to public opinion, I just don't think TT cares all that much about that part of it.

digitaldean
09-27-2009, 09:43 PM
I believe the NFC Championship game was TT's biggest game. I believe this upcoming game is the second biggest. He had better have a team ready to beat Favre twice this year or his face will be all over Sportscenter.

It is already. Berman, TJ and even grudingly Dilfer are gushing over Favre.

It was a great throw, I have to admit. But even Favre admitted that it Lewis made a better effort to catch it since he said he just chucked it.

SF missed Gore immensely today. If they had him, they could've controlled the game more. They did blow the coverage. They had more defenders between the line of scrimmage and the endzone than actually IN the endzone.

But I digress.

We will need to be much more balanced and consistent on both sides for us to have a better chance next Monday.

Partial
09-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Game week? There is no way T2 is talking. So you must believe Brett is ready for Greta 2.

And after Greta 1, what do they think is left to say?

Dunno, but the former players have alluded to that Brett got F'd without outright saying it. They both have talked in circles around the issue, which says they're either:

A) full of it

- or -

B) brotherhood secrets

I think Greta 2.0 could very well happen, but I also could see Chilly putting the kabosh on that as they're 3 and oh and playing great ball. No need to mess with the chi.

That said, no doubt this is the biggest game the Packers have had in years. I suspect this will be the most viewed event in the history of ESPN and probably have the highest rating of any MNF game since they went to cable.

I think the game planning on both sides will be surprising in the sense they try to take the ball out of both QBs hands. Emotions are going to be running wild and in a big game like that better to hand it off (especially to an AP) than it is to wing it around when your QB has jitters.

I suspect Caper's has kept more than a few blitzes hidden in prep for this game for the following reasons:
a. Biggest game of the season so far
b. Didn't want to overwhelm the players early
c. Opposition didn't have tape initially, now they do, time to bring out more new stuff
d. Teets gives him the old wink/nudge one-two telling him to hit the player and hit him hard

I suspect we're going to have a hard time running the "Big play" offense we have so far this year for the following reasons:

a. Clifton could barely handle Allen in the second game last year
b. Colledge has been a proverbial turnstyle against average ends. Allen is spectacular.
c. Expect to see a lot of double tight sets to help on Allen.
d. ARod jitters

Thoughts?

denverYooper
09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Packers will win this game.

Tony Oday
09-27-2009, 10:14 PM
There is nothing that the last 10 games for Favre have shown he is going to go off. If we hold AP to under 100 then we win.

Partial
09-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, I'm hoping they can stop the run without the Big Okie formation, because I have a hunch Favre will pick us apart if we're putting 8 in the box. That said, I'm not confident 8 is enough to stop Peterson after an off week for him.

I hope the entire starting unit on D is working some overtime this week and going over everything with Martin to make sure he's up to speed.

pbmax
09-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Dunno, but the former players have alluded to that Brett got F'd without outright saying it. They both have talked in circles around the issue, which says they're either:

A) full of it

- or -

B) brotherhood secrets
Does Favre even know Ellerson? And is LeRoy in the inner circle?

Butler talks out his backside sometimes, I would be surprised if whatever they think will be new information will be either 1) new or 2) true.

Brett was still trying to explain how the first aborted comeback never got to the point of the Packers scheduling flights. I think he and the Pack are basically arguing over who was more wrong at this point.

Partial
09-27-2009, 10:21 PM
By brotherhood I meant NFL players. I'm sure there is an unspoken thing there. I bet a lot of the Packers know what happened, for example. I wasn't referring to Favre being close with either of them. LeRoy and Gerry both seem to dislike Favre a great deal. The way they talk about him is the way people talk about "Manny being Manny"

pbmax
09-27-2009, 10:25 PM
I suspect we're going to have a hard time running the "Big play" offense we have so far this year for the following reasons:

b. Colledge has been a proverbial turnstyle against average ends. Allen is spectacular.
d. ARod jitters

Thoughts?
Rodgers did not look jittery today. Off target deep early, but no jitters. If Clifton were to play, I would expect better. He had knee, shoulder and thumb injuries last year by that second game. It would be a boost if the Packers were sandbagging it and Clifton was ready to play.

Colledge will have trouble if at LT and he will get help.

Partial
09-27-2009, 10:29 PM

d. ARod jitters

Thoughts?
Rodgers did not look jittery today. Off target deep early, but no jitters. If Clifton were to play, I would expect better. He had knee, shoulder and thumb injuries last year by that second game. It would be a boost if the Packers were sandbagging it and Clifton was ready to play.

Colledge will have trouble if at LT and he will get help.

No jitters today. I agree. Next week there will be jitters. He's gotta play his mentor and the legend he is replacing. He knows he will be ripped all over the media for a week if he has a poor game. Lots of pressure this week.

Agree I predict a lot of double tight and running next week. Not saying the running will be successful, but I think MM sticks with it and attempts to establish it this week. Take the ball out of the QBs hands.

bobblehead
09-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Thoughts?

The game turns into a real dogfight...lower scoring than you might expect. With Minny leading 10-7 and driving into our red zone BF tosses a pick 6 late in the third quarter. We try to run it down their throats in the 4th and get our usual 2 holding penalties. BF has one last chance to rally with 2 minutes left and 70 yards to go....at which point he gains 20 yards on the first play then proceeds to toss a 1st down interception...pack wins 14-10.

mraynrand
09-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Partial, Maury Povich is looking for an intern. Send your resume (there are no doughnuts in the Friday meetings, FYI).

falco
09-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Partial, Maury Povich is looking for an intern. Send your resume (there are no doughnuts in the Friday meetings, FYI).

Probably a good thing, never know when someone may snap a picture of you with your shirt off.

Chevelle2
09-27-2009, 10:43 PM
So, WHAT exactly has Butler been implying?

Tyrone Bigguns
09-27-2009, 10:52 PM

Whatever partial wants to believe.

Butler, Ellerson....voices in partial's head. No difference.

Partial
09-27-2009, 11:00 PM

Not really. I have no idea what he is implying beyond that we'll get more of the story this week. They don't like Favre so I have no idea what they were referring to.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-27-2009, 11:06 PM

Not really. I have no idea what he is implying beyond that we'll get more of the story this week. They don't like Favre so I have no idea what they were referring to.

really?

Dunno, but the former players have alluded to that Brett got F'd without outright saying it

So, they don't like him, but have alluded to him getting effed. Seems kinda odd.....of consistent with the numerous voices in your head....Confabulation.

MadtownPacker
09-27-2009, 11:09 PM
P you need to STFU. Unlike these pale riders I will tell you the truth.

If you really want what you say to happen quit saying it cuz you're always wrong!

Now back to your regularly scheduled stupidity.

pbmax
09-27-2009, 11:12 PM
... Unlike these pale riders...
Nothing like a good piece of hickory. :D

gex
09-27-2009, 11:14 PM

That's exciting, but it's going to be a media frenzy. I'm not going anywhere near sports radio or sports center this week as you know it's going to be 24/7 Favre-Packers watch.

Without a doubt I think this game is bigger than the conference championship. At least in the court of public opinion. If ARod wins these games and looks great, than TT will be a hero. If Favre goes off (he likely will) and chucks 3 TDs while winning 28 -10, Teets will look awfully bad and get a hounding from the media.

Drama aside, this game is a divisional game with huge playoff ramifications. Beat your biggest rival on the road goes a long distance towards getting to the playoffs. Lose this game and you're two games back with a tie breaker going to the rival. Very tough to overcome that.

I dunno P. I for one am gonna soak all the attention in this week.
I'm excited about it already! :wow:

Partial
09-27-2009, 11:16 PM
I would love to meet some of you guys in real life and see if you're as big of assbags in real life as you are in the forum. I can't help but wonder how many of you:

A) routinely get punched
B) don't get laid
C) are hermits

The peeps who I have met who are cool are also cool on this board. It's not exactly scientific or anything but it begs the question if the lamos are lame in real life.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-27-2009, 11:18 PM
who are the cool ones

Partial
09-27-2009, 11:22 PM
who are the cool ones

You'll have to come to the game and find out. Also in the name of science.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-27-2009, 11:34 PM
who are the cool ones

You have already met them....who did you meet that you thought was cool.

Science: How's that bodybuilding working out for you? :lol:

MadtownPacker
09-27-2009, 11:41 PM
who are the cool ones

Science: How's that bodybuilding working out for you? :lol:Youre a fucking asshole for that last part. Why dont you take your ass to a game with P. He is a clown on here but a good kid in person. Maybe since you are so chingon on here you aint shit in the real world?

Im not saying, Im just saying.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-27-2009, 11:52 PM
who are the cool ones

Science: How's that bodybuilding working out for you? :lol:Youre a fucking asshole for that last part. Why dont you take your ass to a game with P. He is a clown on here but a good kid in person. Maybe since you are so chingon on here you aint shit in the real world?

Im not saying, Im just saying.

Why the fuck would i want to spend dollar one to be with partial. You buy the ticket and the accomodations, and i'm all there.

Bodybuilding: He opened that drawer with the science crack.

Kid: how long you gonna play that card. he is an adult. he has a job. He has sex with a woman....according to him.

Chingon: I'm a bad ass. LOL Should we apply that standard to yourself?

Partial
09-28-2009, 12:44 AM
How is body building related with science? That makes zero sense? Where have I ever mentioned being into body building? That shit is gay. I'm into getting strong and playing sports, not getting all fake tanned up and wearing a onesie.

That said, it actually is going extremely well up until I messed up my knee a few weeks back. Still recovering from that.

Ty, you talk a big game, but since nobody has ever met you you're likely just some nerdy white guy with thick glasses. I cannot imagine you having any friends at all if you're as argumentative as you are on here. Who would want to hang out with an assbag like that?

That said, you should man up and fly up to the game since you like to make everyone think you're some stud baller. You can swing it.

I'd really enjoy seeing you cock off to somebody and get punched. I feel like Nutz is the kind of no-nonsense guy that if you cock off to will cock you one right in the jaw.

MOBB DEEP
09-28-2009, 02:42 AM

I dunno P. I for one am gonna soak all the attention in this week.
I'm excited about it already! :wow:

QFT.....its going to very ENTERTAINING with all the talk and previewing being must see tv

Tyrone Bigguns
09-28-2009, 02:46 AM
Where have I ever mentioned being into body building? That shit is gay. I'm into getting strong and playing sports, not getting all fake tanned up and wearing a onesie.

You never went on bodybuiding forums? And, you weren't talking about it last year with two7. And you never were telling two7, a personal trainer the best methods. And, you weren't detaling your diet. And you weren't talking about arod and his physique and vascularity and arguing with two7...and telling a professional about his work..and promoting yourself as more knowledgeable...the old familiar pattern. LOL

If you werent'...why were you posing and defending how you looked. LOL

I guess when you wrote this you were not interested in bodybuilding...or you were making shit up...right?

Ummm.. According to most body builders, six packs begin displaying at 12, start really popping at 10, and are straight up ripped at 8. Most body builders get to 4-5 for shows, and maintain 8.

or

According to everything I have read in body building magazines, in fitness forums, etc. There is no way A-Rod is anywhere near 8%. It's a commonly discussed thing on fitness forums that body fat is often made far lower than it actually is.

I have read that DD is listed a 3% yet everything in the fitness community says that is not sustainable, not healthy, and damn near impossible to get to without cycling salt and carbs, and then drinking nothing but distilled water and chicken.

or

Maybe I'm wrong, but then all the body builders and doctors that I have read articles are wrong as well. It's very possible. I've personally never bothered, but I know that one of the general consensus on all body building forums is that body fat is routinely underestimated in professional sports and by trainers... I learned to estimate body fat through pictures on a body building forum.. Perhaps all the memebers of Johnstonefitness and bodybuilding forums are wrong, as well as professional body builders like swolecat, jeremy likness as well as the likes of a john stone..

Swolecat, a professional body builder, in order to get to 3-4% for shows goes on a diet of nothing but salted chicken broth, bananas, and complex carbs for three weeks 5 weeks before a show. For the final two weeks, he drinks nothing but distilled water, and eats nothing but unsalted chicken and broccoli. By forcing tons of salt and potassium into the body, then shifting to nothing, you shed all the extra water weight and trick your body into releasing stuff it normally would not. It's horribly unhealthy and impossible to maintain, but they manage to do it for a week or so.

The reason I don't have any support is this isn't a body building forum and the things that they're saying are buzz words the average joe has heard, where as what I propose is something that is well-known and accepted practices throughout the body building community.

If only JAPF were still here. That cat knows his stuff. He'd agree with me because he is involved in the same community that I am with the same school of thought.

One thing you should realize P, is that Ty is pretty smart, plenty smarter though, but few have as good a memory and recall. Not photographic, but 2 steps below. Read something once...pretty much have it..and then i don't lose it. :lol:

Do you really want to continue?

MOBB DEEP
09-28-2009, 02:58 AM
I like the title of this thread; i think it could/should go down in history as "The Game"

yeah....i like that....

Partial
09-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Wow Ty, you really are sad. I don't have time to go through and address this, but it boggles the mind.

Sad, how you can take something in such an incorrect manner. I make a claim that in the name of science we need to do an experiment on the lameness of the forum assbags. Instead, you go off on a tangent about bodybuilding? How are the two related? Oye...

All this does is further show in my mind that my hypothesis might have legs to stand on.

Oh, and Ty, most people have good memories, especially when you have a search engine to back you up. I'm not impressed. Especially about you gushing over yourself.

Waldo
09-28-2009, 07:35 AM
I have alluded many times to what I think the missing piece of information is regarding the situation with Favre in '08.

The Packers knew that Brett had a torn rotator cuff.

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2009, 07:46 AM
I can't wait! I know some of you are pondering, "gee I wonder how the old Nutbag thinks about Favre playing against the same team he helped bring back from the dead all those storied years ago."

Well I want Favre and his Vikings to defeat the Packers. I want him to not only shove it up TT's ass, and McCarthy's ass, but all the Packer fans out there that feel better about themselves by slandering Favre. Then after the ass kicking he and the Vikings give the Packers, I can't wait until November 1st when he comes back to the "New" Lambeau Field, the field that he helped build and takes back what is rightfully his, his Kingdom, that is Lambeau Field.

I have a feel for the dramatics.

MOBB DEEP
09-28-2009, 08:08 AM
all the Packer fans out there that feel better about themselves by slandering Favre.

And its really only "packer nation" that holds such disdain for him (OF COURSE understandable to a point); evident by the fact that his purple #4 Jerz is still number 1 seller in 19 states!

Ya think any of those Jerz will be bought this week after last nite's game and upcoming MNF?

The nfl owes brett SO much; like the NBA owed/s Jordan

And TT....sigh.....jerry krause of the nfl! lol

mraynrand
09-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Well I want Favre and his Vikings to defeat the Packers. I want him to not only shove it up TT's ass, and McCarthy's ass.

I think you may be more vindictive than Favre.

ThunderDan
09-28-2009, 08:20 AM

Don't start with this BS.

Favre retired!!! So TT had to draft 2 QBs in the draft. Hell if Favre doesn't retire we don't need to draft Brohm. We can draft a 6th or 7th rounder and develop.

What should TT do? Well....I know Brett is just teasing lets do nothing we will see him August 20 at camp. Who cares if we only have 1 QB? BF is our savior!!

Kiwon
09-28-2009, 08:31 AM
The Vikes and the Packers always have good games.

Farve is mortal but he still can make the incredible play like he did yesterday (it was a heck of a catch too).

Rodgers is an excellent QB as well, not a Farve in his prime, but who is? However, Rodgers is too good to be still sitting on the bench as a Farve backup.

The game's played on the field, not in the press or in the front offices. The wait from that standpoint will be hard to take because the press will be on the Farve/TT/MM angle 24/7 until next Monday.

But it should be a good game. The Pack stops the run and makes Farve throw under pressure then they should get some turnovers. If they don't stop the run they will probably lose the game.

The storyline is what it is, but in any case a Packers/Vikings game is always worth anticipating.

Bossman641
09-28-2009, 08:41 AM
I can't wait! I know some of you are pondering, "gee I wonder how the old Nutbag thinks about Favre playing against the same team he helped bring back from the dead all those storied years ago."

Not so much.

But I do find myself wondering why the old Nutbag continues to hang out at a Packers forum when he has proven himself over and over to be a Favre and then Packer fan, in that order. I'm sure Ras can point you to all kinds of wonderful Viking forums.

Partial
09-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Nutz is the kind of loyal guy that I would take into battle with me gladly. Some of you... not so much. Bunch of backstabbers.

Bossman641
09-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Nutz is the kind of loyal guy that I would take into battle with me gladly. Some of you... not so much. Bunch of backstabbers.

You're right. Fuck the Packers. There should be a mass exodus of Packer fans. Who is with me to go burn down Lambeau?

Scott Campbell
09-28-2009, 08:50 AM

I guess Nipplegate is but a distant memory now.

Fritz
09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Funny, ain't it? No matter the pyrotechnics, in the end, it comes down to stopping the run, and playing well in the trenches.

Scott Campbell
09-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Funny, ain't it? No matter the pyrotechnics, in the end, it comes down to stopping the run, and playing well in the trenches.

That's all nice. But I want be truly satisfied unless a few of our defenders absolutely punish the guy.

red
09-28-2009, 09:03 AM
i'm very nervous for this game, but not because of favre. he adds some extra excitement to the game, but he isn't the reason to be worried.

he was maybe the final piece in the queens puzzle, but not the most important piece

the biggest things we need to worry about are AP (the best RB in the game), and their d-line (also maybe the best in the nfl).

and unfortunately for us, those two things line up directly across from our two weakest areas. run defense and pass protection

our o-line and d (other then woodson) needs to get its shit together, and fast or else we're in trouble

favre might not even have to throw the ball in this game

pbmax
09-28-2009, 09:20 AM
And its really only "packer nation" that holds such disdain for him (OF COURSE understandable to a point); evident by the fact that his purple #4 Jerz is still number 1 seller in 19 states!
Not even close MOBB. Any chat, message board, etc. reacts to a Favre article the same way. Half of the messages bemoan another Favre article. Some are tired of the coverage, some are tired of him or the story. Check footballoutsiders or profootballtalk or JSO. Same reactions. There are defenders and other rational posters, but the single overriding emotion is fatigue.

As for jersey sales being an indicator of nationwide support, that argument is undermined when these name also appear in the top 10 of jersey sales:

Jay Cutler, Michael Vick and Mark Sanchez.

As for Packer Nation, the fact that he still has supporters here, would seem to indicate a diversity of opinion on the matter.

denverYooper
09-28-2009, 10:04 AM
all the Packer fans out there that feel better about themselves by slandering Favre.

Ya think any of those Jerz will be bought this week after last nite's game and upcoming MNF?

The nfl owes brett SO much; like the NBA owed/s Jordan

I met a Vikings fan at the bar yesterday who wanted the Vikings to win, but Favre to get his ass beat. He just moved out here from Duluth and said that Vikings fans are pretty evenly split also on Favre. Apparently, there are quite a few in Viking Nation who still really don't like the old goat because they feel like he was not an upgrade over their current players.

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Well I want Favre and his Vikings to defeat the Packers. I want him to not only shove it up TT's ass, and McCarthy's ass.

Probably. I have my reasons. I have figured out that I am less upset at Thompson and McCarthy, my real distain is for all of the Packer fans that just can't get over their own little butt-hurt of Favre playing for the Vikings, or wanting to play when he retired. I love how some of you still hold on to the "HE RETIRED!!!" banter. Sure he retired, but realized he wanted to play again. Packer brass didn't want/need him in Green Bay anymore, so they sat on him, fucked with his ability to play the game of football and then traded him to the Jets, where he made the best out of a so-so situation.

I don't think a player makes a team, but I don't have sit back and believe that I have to like a GM regardless of his ability or his past decisions because I root for the team that he manages. Everyone took up sides in this battle, I chose to side with Favre, that didn't mean that I hated the Packers. I hated what Ted Thompson did to Brett Favre, I disliked McCarthy for the way he handled Favre. That didn't mean I held every other part of the Packer organization accountable. I have been one of Aaron Rodgers biggest supporters on this board. I still like watching Packer games, but now I probably watch the games similar to how beat reporters do, I watch less as a fan and more from a analytical standpoint. I do my best to call it like I see it rather than showing favortism to the Packers organization.

Tarlam!
09-28-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm pissed at Favre. Really pissed!

I bought his friggen' authentic Packer jersey at the horrendous price of 220 dollars, and now I can't wear it with the same pride any more.

Too right, I am friggin pissed!!!!

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2009, 10:29 AM

I bought his friggen' authentic Packer jersey at the horrendous price of 220 dollars, and now I can't wear it with the same pride any more.

You also bought a 45 dollar NFL football that you allowed Partial to throw around. He scuffed that ball up a little bit if I remember correctly.

Administrator
09-28-2009, 10:44 AM

You also bought a 45 dollar NFL football that you allowed Partial to throw around. He scuffed that ball up a little bit if I remember correctly.Haha, that too funny.

CaptainKickass
09-28-2009, 11:40 AM
I guess Nipplegate is but a distant mammory now.

Fixed.

No need to thank me, I'm here to help.

mission
09-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Some of you guys are jokes (Nutz... the other jokes we've known about for much longer).

Like the guy at the Packers sports bar yesterday facing the opposite way of everyone else and clapping every time Favre did something good. Then he'd face the crowd and try to explain why something Brett did was so great and everyone pretty much just rolled their eyes. No one cares. In fact, the whole place was rooting for the 49ers, because, you know, they're playing our division opponent.

It's OK to be a Brett Favre fan... just be one and leave real Packer fans alone. All that says is you weren't much of a fan before Favre because anyone who's been down the whole road with this team knows it's much bigger than one individual player.

Even if Brett comes out and throws 500 yards and 5 touchdowns and beats the shit out of the Packers on Monday... it's a loss to the Vikings. I get sick to my stomach when that happens without Favre.. I'm sure ill be the same if it happens with him.

I'm just a Packers fan, though... apparently that doesn't make any logical sense to some of you.

Little Whiskey
09-28-2009, 12:23 PM

You also bought a 45 dollar NFL football that you allowed Partial to throw around. He scuffed that ball up a little bit if I remember correctly.

are you saying that someone with a stronger arm, ie. able to throw a 45 yard frozen rope, wouldn't have scuffed his football?

Tarlam!
09-28-2009, 12:33 PM

are you saying that someone with a stronger arm, ie. able to throw a 45 yard frozen rope, wouldn't have scuffed his football?

Nutz only brings this story up, because it obliges those present (Skin, Bretzky, Mad, Michele, Zig and, yes Partial) to acknowledge he has a killer arm and almost broke my fingers with his throws.

Those same Rats will now be obliged to confirm what a heck-of-a receiver I am, even at (then) 44. Biggest crime of the century for the NFL is that I wasn't born and raised in America. I would have made the HOF this year after my outstanding career at TE.

And, yes, Partial scuffed my ball.

PlantPage55
09-28-2009, 12:49 PM

Probably. I have my reasons. I have figured out that I am less upset at Thompson and McCarthy, my real distain is for all of the Packer fans that just can't get over their own little butt-hurt of Favre playing for the Vikings, or wanting to play when he retired. I love how some of you still hold on to the "HE RETIRED!!!" banter. Sure he retired, but realized he wanted to play again. Packer brass didn't want/need him in Green Bay anymore, so they sat on him, fucked with his ability to play the game of football and then traded him to the Jets, where he made the best out of a so-so situation.

I don't think a player makes a team, but I don't have sit back and believe that I have to like a GM regardless of his ability or his past decisions because I root for the team that he manages. Everyone took up sides in this battle, I chose to side with Favre, that didn't mean that I hated the Packers. I hated what Ted Thompson did to Brett Favre, I disliked McCarthy for the way he handled Favre. That didn't mean I held every other part of the Packer organization accountable. I have been one of Aaron Rodgers biggest supporters on this board. I still like watching Packer games, but now I probably watch the games similar to how beat reporters do, I watch less as a fan and more from a analytical standpoint. I do my best to call it like I see it rather than showing favortism to the Packers organization.

How is that any different than you being annoyingly butt-hurt over what our GM did to Brett Favre?

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2009, 12:57 PM

How is that any different than you being annoyingly butt-hurt over what our GM did to Brett Favre?

I don't go around calling Ted Thompson by a different name just to spite him. Again you comment on one portion of what I wrote. For a change of pace, read everything I wrote, turn off your computer, take a 20 minute nap, and then go fuck yourself.

PlantPage55
09-28-2009, 01:00 PM

I don't go around calling Ted Thompson by a different name just to spite him. Again you comment on one portion of what I wrote. For a change of pace, read everything I wrote, turn off your computer, take a 20 minute nap, and then go fuck yourself.

Well, thanks for being so civil and gentlemanly about it, but the one part I commented on was the only part that I CAN'T wrap my head around and understand where you are coming from, thank you very much.

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2009, 01:01 PM

Well, thanks for being so civil and gentlemanly about it, but the one part I commented on was the only part that I CAN'T wrap my head around and understand where you are coming from, thank you very much.

Don't take it so personal. I sincerely hope I answered your question.

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Some of you guys are jokes (Nutz... the other jokes we've known about for much longer).

Like the guy at the Packers sports bar yesterday facing the opposite way of everyone else and clapping every time Favre did something good. Then he'd face the crowd and try to explain why something Brett did was so great and everyone pretty much just rolled their eyes. No one cares. In fact, the whole place was rooting for the 49ers, because, you know, they're playing our division opponent.

It's OK to be a Brett Favre fan... just be one and leave real Packer fans alone. All that says is you weren't much of a fan before Favre because anyone who's been down the whole road with this team knows it's much bigger than one individual player.

Even if Brett comes out and throws 500 yards and 5 touchdowns and beats the shit out of the Packers on Monday... it's a loss to the Vikings. I get sick to my stomach when that happens without Favre.. I'm sure ill be the same if it happens with him.

I'm just a Packers fan, though... apparently that doesn't make any logical sense to some of you.

Maybe you are a joke? God plays funny tricks.

pbmax
09-28-2009, 01:04 PM

So you would like to see said Packer fans (the one's whose feelings are bruised by Favre in Purple) get their just desserts by having the Vikings beat the Packers.

And yet you sided with Favre and hated what Thompson and McCarthy did to him. And this hatred has caused you to become less of a fan of the team in general even though you do not blame everyone associate with the team, least of all Rodgers.

You are someone who did not wish to see Favre play for another team. How are these not two sides of the same coin?

Because you have been adult enough not to come up with a nickname like "Bert" for Thompson? I think you might feel better if you did. No reason to love a GM, especially one with a mixed record like Thompson's. But it might let you separate out the team from the GM.

pbmax
09-28-2009, 01:09 PM
After (and Before) everything that has been (will be) written about the Packers and Favre separation, I have a question. Does Waldo's theory have merit?

If you look back at 2008 offseason and inject the knowledge that Favre has a partially torn rotator cuff, does that change the dynamic of the maneuvering? Does it change your feeling on the matter?

And could it be true? The Packers, had they had such a medical report, would have had to disclose this information to the Jets, lest they fail him on a physical and let the world know he was wounded. Did the Jets (and now the Vikings) take a big risk? Did the Packers reject that risk?

Or did they reject a QB who needed a shortened offseason to avoid surgery?

sheepshead
09-28-2009, 01:11 PM
After (and Before) everything that has been (will be) written about the Packers and Favre separation, I have a question. Does Waldo's theory have merit?

If you look back at 2008 offseason and inject the knowledge that Favre has a partially torn rotator cuff, does that change the dynamic of the maneuvering? Does it change you feeling?

And could it be true? The Packers, had they had such a medical report, would have had to disclose this information to the Jets, lest they fail him on a physical and let the world know he was wounded. Did the Jets (and now the Vikings) take a big risk? Did the Packers reject that risk?

Could it be that the Packers knew but Favre didnt know they knew???

pbmax
09-28-2009, 01:12 PM

If you look back at 2008 offseason and inject the knowledge that Favre has a partially torn rotator cuff, does that change the dynamic of the maneuvering? Does it change you feeling?

I think they would have opened themselves up to a lawsuit to a player who has the means to carry it through the justice system with a top flight legal team. I doubt it. If they knew, Favre knew is my best guess.

Tarlam!
09-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I think they would have opened themselves up to a lawsuit to a player who has the means to carry it through the justice system with a top flight legal team. I doubt it. If they knew, Favre knew is my best guess.

I don't get your post, PB. Favre had retired. So what if the Packers knew and didn't tell hill? The only thing is an injury settlement, or am I missing your point?

mraynrand
09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.historycommons.org/events-images/a999johntower1_2050081722-24532.jpg

What did Favre know, and when did he know it?

What did Thompson know, and when did he know it?

What did McCarthy know, and when did he know it?

What did Chilly know, and when did he know it?

What did Waldo know, and when did he know it?

http://125.und.edu/images/RonaldReagan.jpg
"I did not know Brent Favre, or anything that he knew."

mission
09-28-2009, 01:22 PM

Yeah, maybe... great reply.

pbmax
09-28-2009, 01:24 PM

I don't get your post, PB. Favre had retired. So what if the Packers knew and didn't tell hill? The only thing is an injury settlement, or am I missing your point?
Well, every player on the roster (and practice squad) goes through an end of year physical. So there is a record of their injuries from football, progress from injuries earlier in the year and a plan can be formulated to rehab them to health.

So when Favre has his physical, he was not retired. They would have shared the results with him like with any player at the end of the year. This is one of the reasons the players are around the lockerroom for a day or two after their season ends.

I don't think there was a test that came back in March '08 after retirement that showed the damage. I think Waldo has pointed to a couple of injuries that would have required an MRI (Dallas game in 07 when his elbow and hand went numb for example) and he theorizes that the Pack might do an MRI on any existing injuries at the end of the year as well.

DannoMac21
09-28-2009, 01:26 PM

So you're mad because the Packers didn't do what Favre wanted by trading him to the Vikings? You're mad because we traded him to the Jets and "fucked" with his football career? You're mad because we didn't give Favre what he wanted. Good Lord.

Bossman641
09-28-2009, 01:31 PM

So you're mad because the Packers didn't do what Favre wanted by trading him to the Vikings? You're mad because we traded him to the Jets and "fucked" with his football career? You're mad because we didn't give Favre what he wanted. Good Lord.

Don't bother with logic.

Favre = good
Thompson - bad

Favre reached the point of his career where he was free to practice as he chose. And how dare the Packers actually use Favre as an asset and 1.) get value for him and 2.) keep him away from their rivals? They should have just released the man and flew him on a personal jet to Minnesota.

mission
09-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Pretty much.

mraynrand
09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/oldfavrecopy.jpg

"I am going to throw three touchdown passes on Monday night"

pbmax
09-28-2009, 02:05 PM

I wonder how his investment in the Quik E Mart is playing out?

mraynrand
09-28-2009, 02:20 PM

I wonder how his investment in the Quik E Mart is playing out?

I thought the Quik E Mart was Travis Henry's endorsement gig.

Waldo
09-28-2009, 02:32 PM

I think that they could trade him to the Jets and play dumb.

After all, it is SOP for the new team to give a guy a thorough physical when completing a trade.

Many trades are rejected because of a failed physical.

Did the Jets discover it and not care?

Partial
09-28-2009, 02:43 PM

After all, it is SOP for the new team to give a guy a thorough physical when completing a trade.

Highly unlikely. Don't you think they gave him an MRI? You think they'd bank there season on an injured player? I just can't see that working out the way you describe.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Wow Ty, you really are sad. I don't have time to go through and address this, but it boggles the mind.

Sad, how you can take something in such an incorrect manner. I make a claim that in the name of science we need to do an experiment on the lameness of the forum assbags. Instead, you go off on a tangent about bodybuilding? How are the two related? Oye...

All this does is further show in my mind that my hypothesis might have legs to stand on.

Oh, and Ty, most people have good memories, especially when you have a search engine to back you up. I'm not impressed. Especially about you gushing over yourself.

thought you said you hadn't mentioned bodybuilding. Another lie.

Partial
09-28-2009, 02:51 PM

I said where have I mentioned being into it. Mentioning something and knowing about something != being interested and practicing something.

Lurker64
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Highly unlikely. Don't you think they gave him an MRI? You think they'd bank there season on an injured player? I just can't see that working out the way you describe.

I don't think the Jets would have rejected the trade on the basis of a torn MRI, think about it.
-In trading for Brett Favre, the Jets became the biggest story in the NFL for the first time in a decade.
-Finally having a QB to be excited about almost instantly generated a ton of jersey sales and sales of PSLs that the team was having trouble selling.

If they had rejected the Brett Favre trade after it was already announced, the backlash would have been horrible (and unlike the case with a lot of other players, we had the full court press by the press as soon as the trade was agreed to in principle).

The Jets were coming off a 4-12 year, they weren't expecting to win the superbowl. They got a player who, even if he was injured, made them a lot of money and won them some games.

I'm sure if the finding was "his rotator cuff is torn, he cannot play football this year" they would have rejected the trade. But I'm sure that if they discovered a minor tear that wouldn't really cause him any trouble this year, they would have said nothing. After all, if you trade for/sign Favre in this day and age, it's basically a one year rental.

Partial
09-28-2009, 02:59 PM

I don't think the Jets would have rejected the trade on the basis of a torn MRI, think about it.
-In trading for Brett Favre, the Jets became the biggest story in the NFL for the first time in a decade.
-Finally having a QB to be excited about almost instantly generated a ton of jersey sales and sales of PSLs that the team was having trouble selling.

If they had rejected the Brett Favre trade after it was already announced, the backlash would have been horrible (and unlike the case with a lot of other players, we had the full court press by the press as soon as the trade was agreed to in principle).

The Jets were coming off a 4-12 year, they weren't expecting to win the superbowl. They got a player who, even if he was injured, made them a lot of money and won them some games.

I'm sure if the finding was "his rotator cuff is torn, he cannot play football this year" they would have rejected the trade. But I'm sure that if they discovered a minor tear that wouldn't really cause him any trouble this year, they would have said nothing. After all, if you trade for/sign Favre in this day and age, it's basically a one year rental.

I don't agree with you and that is okay.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-28-2009, 03:00 PM

I said where have I mentioned being into it. Mentioning something and knowing about something != being interested and practicing something.

Where have I ever mentioned being into body building? That shit is gay. I'm into getting strong and playing sports, not getting all fake tanned up and wearing a onesie.

You got owned. Played it like you never said anything.

Sure. Reading about it, hanging on forums, dieting, building mass...not practicing.

Being able to determine bodyfat thru pics. :lol:

Partial
09-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Sure. Reading about it, hanging on forums, dieting, building mass...not practicing.

Ty that isn't the point. I was saying I'm not into body building. I don't go to competitions, etc. I'm into weight lifting.

FWIW, I still maintain that guy was a big phony. I take everything I read with a grain of salt because in all likelyhood that guy is full of it.

Waldo
09-28-2009, 03:01 PM
And it is entirely possible that the FO was looking for a way to dump Mangini while keeping their jobs.

If even if it came out at the end of the season that he had a torn rotator cuff, as long as nobody mentioned that he had it when he got there, the FO does not look bad.

But Mangini and his record look bad. And a HC switch typically accompanies a QB switch.

Mangini seems to kinda suck as HC.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-28-2009, 03:09 PM

Ty that isn't the point. I was saying I'm not into body building. I don't go to competitions, etc. I'm into weight lifting.

FWIW, I still maintain that guy was a big phony. I take everything I read with a grain of salt because in all likelyhood that guy is full of it.

Splitting hairs again. You said where...not a degree. And, one doesn't have to go to shows to be into something. Do i have to go to the pack games...to prove i'm into the pack. LOL

Yeah, he was full of it. :roll:

He was working, he was cut, he had info...you not working in the field, you not in shape, etc.

Dude, i'm done with you. Just going to ignore your trolling posts.

Partial
09-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Splitting hairs again. You said where...not a degree. And, one doesn't have to go to shows to be into something. Do i have to go to the pack games...to prove i'm into the pack. LOL

Yeah, he was full of it. :roll:

He was working, he was cut, he had info...you not working in the field, you not in shape, etc.

Dude, i'm done with you. Just going to ignore your trolling posts.

Ty, I don't see the relevance of this or your comment. Clearly my comment hit a nerve.

That said. He claims he was working. He claims he was cut. He found publicly available info.

I can say I've been to the moon. I could also come up with photographic evidence. That doesn't make it true.

MichiganPackerFan
09-28-2009, 04:42 PM
And, yes, Partial scuffed my ball.

Trying.. to.. restrain... jokes.. so many... :D

falco
09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
I could also come up with photographic evidence.

I think last time you did that it ended up as someone's avatar. Maybe you should refrain this time.

MichiganPackerFan
09-28-2009, 04:46 PM

Could it be that the Packers knew that Favre knew that the Packers knew that Favre knew ....?

http://archive.perfectduluthday.com/gnu.jpg

MOBB DEEP
09-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Not even close MOBB. Any chat, message board, etc. reacts to a Favre article the same way. Half of the messages bemoan another Favre article. Some are tired of the coverage, some are tired of him or the story. Check footballoutsiders or profootballtalk or JSO. Same reactions. There are defenders and other rational posters, but the single overriding emotion is fatigue.

As for jersey sales being an indicator of nationwide support, that argument is undermined when these name also appear in the top 10 of jersey sales:

Jay Cutler, Michael Vick and Mark Sanchez.

As for Packer Nation, the fact that he still has supporters here, would seem to indicate a diversity of opinion on the matter.

Fatigued is not the same as disdain; most folk i know were fed up with the back and forth but dont hold a grudge towards some distant figure like he hurt them personally

And Ive begun to believe that the disgruntled ppl are the ones who appear to voice their opinions the loudest/display more passion. I firmly feel that we favre supporters have forgiven TT at a much faster rate than have Org supporters. I have no proof, just observations of different media

When i say "packer nation" i dont mean pack fans in general, but the ones who slander favre under the guise of loyalty to some big business. Because its the player(s) who provide me with the ENTERTAINMENT i seek, i tend to have more loytalty (however one can be loyal to a stranger) as opposed to the brass

This scenario couldnt have been scripted any better; MNF and divisioin rival has favre??!! Must see fun. LETS GOOOOOOO...!!!

Its all good either way folks want to think though, live and let live...God Bless us all

SkinBasket
09-28-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't agree with you and that is okay.

I'm sure he'll sleep better tonight having received your absolution.

GrnBay007
09-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Opening line - Vikings by 3.....so even up. Should be a great game!

Packers4Ever
09-29-2009, 12:06 AM

I agree re: the NFC Championship game with this one being 2nd.
How TT can sleep at night is beyond me, considering how many years
has it been since we've had a "complete" "all together" Offensive line?
If I were TT - and thank God I'm not - I'd have had that line all set up and ready to go by the end of pre-season. There's a whole lot of pressure off your body if you're prepared !!

Maybe he's one of these guys who runs on high pressure - you know - no hurry, no worry ? One of these days that's going to backfire bigtime !!
And if it does - watch out !!

bobblehead
09-29-2009, 12:41 AM

I have only read to this point in the thread, but I will interject. A partially torn rotator isn't a season ender for a QB...a pitcher yes, but not a QB or a position player in baseball. I punched a hole in my rotator (don't ask) and didn't even know about it for a year...I knew it got achy after softball games, but it didn't actually affect my ability to throw, it just ached the next day.

Any of the above is possible. 1) It was there, but never showed on the MRI, doctors suspected it from his pain level after a lot of throws in a game. 2) It showed, but Brett could play with it and no one cared it was there. 3) no such thing was there, and no one had any concern about injury 4) it wasn't there, but brett said his arm was achy to give them reason to think it was....and to give him an excuse for that piss poor throw that led to the pick.

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2009, 01:06 AM
IF vikes win, wont that mean that favre has beaten EVERY team in nfl?

PlantPage55
09-29-2009, 01:12 AM
If I were TT - and thank God I'm not - I'd have had that line all set up and ready to go by the end of pre-season.

Oh that might just be the funniest thing I've ever read on this message board! I'm going to go to bed and sleep like a baby with dreams of reading something this funny sometime in the next week. I doubt it will be topped.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-29-2009, 01:20 AM
IF Bert gets picked, wont that mean that favre has been intercepted by EVERY team in nfl?

Fixed

Deputy Nutz
09-29-2009, 07:36 AM

I have only read to this point in the thread, but I will interject. A partially torn rotator isn't a season ender for a QB...a pitcher yes, but not a QB or a position player in baseball. I punched a hole in my rotator (don't ask) and didn't even know about it for a year...I knew it got achy after softball games, but it didn't actually affect my ability to throw, it just ached the next day.

Any of the above is possible. 1) It was there, but never showed on the MRI, doctors suspected it from his pain level after a lot of throws in a game. 2) It showed, but Brett could play with it and no one cared it was there. 3) no such thing was there, and no one had any concern about injury 4) it wasn't there, but brett said his arm was achy to give them reason to think it was....and to give him an excuse for that piss poor throw that led to the pick.

I have two rotator cuffs that have seen better days. I have a right one that is completely shredded and my left one has been "stretched" and torn. I am lucky that I am left handed so I can still throw pretty well. I sort of figured that at 38 years old he was going to have some little tears. His body has got to be a bunch of little tears.

Deputy Nutz
09-29-2009, 07:48 AM

So you would like to see said Packer fans (the one's whose feelings are bruised by Favre in Purple) get their just desserts by having the Vikings beat the Packers.

And yet you sided with Favre and hated what Thompson and McCarthy did to him. And this hatred has caused you to become less of a fan of the team in general even though you do not blame everyone associate with the team, least of all Rodgers.

You are someone who did not wish to see Favre play for another team. How are these not two sides of the same coin?

Because you have been adult enough not to come up with a nickname like "Bert" for Thompson? I think you might feel better if you did. No reason to love a GM, especially one with a mixed record like Thompson's. But it might let you separate out the team from the GM.

Damn, you are like my shrink when it comes to football, how are you in handling the college football season?

Deputy Nutz
09-29-2009, 07:54 AM

Yeah, maybe... great reply.

Well Mister Jokester, being a Packer fan does make sense to me, good for you. I hope they go out and win you the Super Bowl. I have desensitized myself to the Packers. I can be happy about a Packers win, but I don't much dwell on it after a loss. I used to be torn up inside for about a week after a loss. It wrecked my week. I am free of that, and I will thank Favre and Thompson for doing so.

Have a very pleasant day.

Deputy Nutz
09-29-2009, 07:59 AM

If you look back at 2008 offseason and inject the knowledge that Favre has a partially torn rotator cuff, does that change the dynamic of the maneuvering? Does it change your feeling on the matter?

Adding the torn RC to everything else it could be, but not taking him back because of the RC seems a little cut throat especially dealing with Favre. You have a quality backup in Rodgers, someone that could slip in incase Favre's shoulder would give out.

What is done is done, but I don't know exactly how much it ever had to do with his shoulder.

pbmax
09-29-2009, 08:08 AM

Damn, you are like my shrink when it comes to football, how are you in handling the college football season?
Currently horrible, as I almost hope that the Badger's Bert (Bielema) gets canned sooner rather than later. But I cannot say that its a rational decision. I just don't like him.

Chevelle2
09-30-2009, 11:57 AM
http://media.journalinteractive.com/images/packonline92909.jpg

:D

MOBB DEEP
09-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Dayum, wat u cats been doing to get Joe the admin all pensive and stuff? Stop being so hot, blowing the spot up chumps!

LETS GOOOOOOOOO...!!!

mission
09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
There are billboards (yes, billboards) in Atlanta that say

Favre vs. Packers "This One is Huge"

... in Atlanta! :shock:

Chevelle2
09-30-2009, 04:05 PM

Any chance you can snap a picture and post it here for us?

Sparkey
09-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Anyone know what the current odds would be that it is an ESPN billboard ? :wink:

SkinBasket
09-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Just like the good old days...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/GLOq0ij9-y4/0.jpg

AtlPackFan
09-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Mission, where in Atl. did you see those??? I haven't seen nothing up Lawrenceville way. :wink:

mission
09-30-2009, 05:12 PM
I stay out in Lawrenceville now too actually but there's one on Peachtree Industrial (Chamblee) heading north (on the right) after the new Wal Mart plaza. I just saw it today... I'll take a camera out tomorrow and grab a snap. I'm pretty sure it was an ESPN billboard too but it completely surprised me... ESPN boards at all aren't something I'm used to seeing.

Fritz
09-30-2009, 07:46 PM

Try calling him "Teats," Nutz. For some reason, it seems to fit.

And I like the guy.

woodbuck27
09-30-2009, 10:22 PM

I'm all for Aaron Rodgers and the Packer players as our team has become. I remain a Packer fan after Favre. I never have been and don't believe I'll ever cotten onto TT as a solid GM. I cannot get excited over MM. Favre is a better man than either of TT or MM.

I can't wait for the TRUTH on Favre and the real story on exactly why and how the Packers dumped him. Damn they even tossed in a $20 Million dollar bribe to silence him forever. All he wanted was to win. TT and Favre wern't on the same page.

All the pressure this season in the Vikings Vs Packers is on TT (not the Packers or Favre) and were about to see how he handles it.

Scott Campbell
09-30-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm hoping for the filthy traitor to get a taste of poetic justice in this game.

Gunakor
10-01-2009, 01:03 AM
I can't wait for the TRUTH on Favre and the real story on exactly why and how the Packers dumped him. Damn they even tossed in a $20 Million dollar bribe to silence him forever. All he wanted was to win. TT and Favre wern't on the same page.

What if the truth came out and it didn't sound anything like the story you tell? Would you believe it? Would it change your mind about anything else surrounding the story?

I mean, what if, say, for instance, Favre dumped the Packers. And the 20 million dollar offer (read: not a bribe) was made to keep his name and likeness for marketing purposes. Could you believe that, even if it were the truth?

mraynrand
10-01-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm hoping for the filthy traitor to get a taste of poetic justice in this game.

I agree. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want Favre to get the living shit kicked outta him. No permanent damage or anything like that (I'd like for him to be alive when he gets inducted into the HOF in five years), but I'd be completely happy if he got rag-dolled a few times, slammed into that metrodome turf, and left the game horizontally after throwing 4 or 7 INTs. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. The Vikings are going to play it really conservative and run run run - and rely on their defense.

channtheman
10-01-2009, 04:29 AM
I think that we can all agree that Favre saved the league by coming back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F7JAX6WYlw

Go to 4:44 and hear what John Madden has to say about Favre coming back. Maybe listen to the whole thing too because Caliendo is just hilarious at his impressions.

Bossman641
10-01-2009, 05:50 AM

I agree. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want Favre to get the living shit kicked outta him. No permanent damage or anything like that (I'd like for him to be alive when he gets inducted into the HOF in five years), but I'd be completely happy if he got rag-dolled a few times, slammed into that metrodome turf, and left the game horizontally after throwing 4 or 7 INTs. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. The Vikings are going to play it really conservative and run run run - and rely on their defense.

I'm prayin that Collins or Hawk or Matthews gets a clean shot at him off a blitz.

swede
10-01-2009, 06:58 AM
One starts to get the idea how religious schisms begin.

Is the savior now an infidel, or has he brought us a new truth about the personal quest for football purity?

MichiganPackerFan
10-01-2009, 07:59 AM

I'm prayin that Collins or Hawk or Matthews gets a clean shot at him off a blitz.

I'm trying to remember back to a time when I actually saw Hawk deliver a hard hit. Sure he tackles a lot, but I can't remember him going through a guy. Anyone?

Deputy Nutz
10-01-2009, 08:35 AM

Because Green Bay's defense really had Kyle Boller shaking behind the line of scrimmage.

They got one player on their defense and that is Woodson, so maybe Woodson off a blitz.

Scott Campbell
10-01-2009, 08:38 AM

It'd be ideal if we only knocked him out for a few weeks so that we get the opportunity to finish the traitor off in Lambeau.

MichiganPackerFan
10-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Because Green Bay's defense really had Kyle Boller shaking behind the line of scrimmage.

They got one player on their defense and that is Woodson, so maybe Woodson off a blitz.

I would say Harris still qualifies and Nick Collins has shown flashes. Johny Jolly is really showing signs of being a player too. Jury's out on whether Barnett rebounds to pre-injury. Kampman was blue chip when he was up on the line, but I haven't heard his name yet this season.

swede
10-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Dom Capers is playing NFC Rope-a-Dope.

Vikings will be confident that they have covered all their bases. They've seen the film. Packers don't look that scary.

And then all hell will break loose when the game begins.

mission
10-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Vikings will be confident that they have covered all their bases. They've seen the film. Packers don't look that scary.

I agree with this 100%.

There's something to be said about going full bore against every team on every Sunday, but one has to assume there's a special emphasis on this game from a coaching standpoint. They say what they say to the media, but those aren't the same conversations they have behind closed doors.

There will be some new wrinkles this Monday night and I definitely think they'll be focused on confusion and pressure... even if we end up losing, we're going to make Favre look stupid a couple+ times.

Fritz
10-01-2009, 12:50 PM

I agree with this 100%.

There's something to be said about going full bore against every team on every Sunday, but one has to assume there's a special emphasis on this game from a coaching standpoint. They say what they say to the media, but those aren't the same conversations they have behind closed doors.

There will be some new wrinkles this Monday night and I definitely think they'll be focused on confusion and pressure... even if we end up losing, we're going to make Favre look stupid a couple+ times.

I just hope it's not the kind of confusion where Al Harris is pointing at Nick Collins and saying "you were supposed to cover him, not me!" or something like that.

pbmax
10-01-2009, 01:05 PM

They did enough to get him to run out of the pocket several times. Guess who won't be so hard to catch?

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2009, 02:27 PM
They did enough to get him to run out of the pocket several times. Guess who won't be so hard to catch?

I tend to agree. I think the blitzing has helped. The QBs we've faced have been uneasy in the pocket. Now, run defense has been a mixed bag. We did well against Forte, did poorly against Benson, and did okay against Jackson. Jackson is a pretty good back and I feel if you don't let him dominate the game, you've done a decent job. I'd take similar numbers from Peterson.

We're middle of the pack in sacks, but I feel the pressure has been there. We are 1st in interceptions and 6th in pass deflections. We did give up a couple of big plays to Cutler, a couple of fluky plays to Palmer (the 3rd and 34 fumble forward and the flea flicker), and a couple of plays to Boller against Chillar. Overall, we've been pretty good with the pass rush and coverage.

Cutler completed 47.2% with 4 ints

Palmer only had 185 passing yards. Take out the two fluky plays and it was 118 yards.

Boller barely completed 50% of his passes. He hurt us more with his movement than anything.

Cheesehead Craig
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Reportedly Hutchinson has missed the last 2 practices. For an OL that is having issues already protecting Favre if their best OL can't go or is really limited, that would certainly help the D.

CaptainKickass
10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I'd also like to see our "D" - when put into a position to deliver - actually deliver.

I have no real complaints thus far about our D - it's just that if you re-watch that last "miracle" TD Brent throws to win against the SF 69'ers, you'll see someone (A DE, maybe a LB, or a safety) actually whiff on what woulda likely been a sack for a loss.

Gotta get home when your # is called.

MJZiggy
10-01-2009, 05:27 PM

I'm trying to remember back to a time when I actually saw Hawk deliver a hard hit. Sure he tackles a lot, but I can't remember him going through a guy. Anyone?

Maybe he's been saving up for this game?

MJZiggy
10-01-2009, 05:29 PM

I agree with this 100%.

I just hope it's not the kind of confusion where Al Harris is pointing at Nick Collins and saying "you were supposed to cover him, not me!" or something like that.

Yer gonna jinx 'em! Don't jinx Al!

Deputy Nutz
10-01-2009, 05:50 PM
4 more days!!!!

bobblehead
10-01-2009, 06:00 PM

I'll give you due credit for being right preseason when you doubted how good we really were, but if Wood was the only player we have, why do QB's keep throwing at him? Answer, al is shutting fools down.

I also happen to think Cullen Jenkins is looking downright studly. I just happen to think that our LB's are as shitty as last year. I still want chillar in on base, I think he and Mathews are the only ones playing worth a shit. Kamp...don't like what i've seen so far as an LB. Hawk and Barnett can't seem to cover or get off a block. Bishop hasn't played enough for me to judge him. Same with Jeremy Thompson.

pbmax
10-01-2009, 06:16 PM

I tend to agree. I think the blitzing has helped. The QBs we've faced have been uneasy in the pocket. Now, run defense has been a mixed bag. We did well against Forte, did poorly against Benson, and did okay against Jackson. Jackson is a pretty good back and I feel if you don't let him dominate the game, you've done a decent job. I'd take similar numbers from Peterson.

We're middle of the pack in sacks, but I feel the pressure has been there. We are 1st in interceptions and 6th in pass deflections. We did give up a couple of big plays to Cutler, a couple of fluky plays to Palmer (the 3rd and 34 fumble forward and the flea flicker), and a couple of plays to Boller against Chillar. Overall, we've been pretty good with the pass rush and coverage.

Palmer only had 185 passing yards. Take out the two fluky plays and it was 118 yards.

Boller barely completed 50% of his passes. He hurt us more with his movement than anything.
I am a little concerned about the run D. Its hard to judge against Jackson because at times he made something from nothing, but so did Benson. Someone observed elsewhere that Poppinga has lost contain a TON of times from ROLB. It started in the preseason and continued against the Rams.

I am taking a little less comfort in our Bears game run D as the Bears have continued to have trouble running, possibly due to O Line changes. I hope that trend continues with Peterson.

bbbffl66
10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I'd also like to see our "D" - when put into a position to deliver - actually deliver.

I have no real complaints thus far about our D - it's just that if you re-watch that last "miracle" TD Brent throws to win against the SF 69'ers, you'll see someone (A DE, maybe a LB, or a safety) actually whiff on what woulda likely been a sack for a loss.

He's always had that ability-eyes in the back of his head to avoid the sack. I hope for ARod's sake he learns it. He'll be being fed through a straw if not!

pbmax
10-01-2009, 08:10 PM

He's always had that ability-eyes in the back of his head to avoid the sack. I hope for ARod's sake he learns it. He'll be being fed through a straw if not!
No he has not. Favre took many more sacks when he was younger, especially when he held the ball for too long. It was a learned skill for him. If ARod can master it (ND72 had a post about part of it stemming from a look down at his blocking), you will see a marked improvement in his already good play. He showed signs of it this preseason, but they obviously have had more protection issues since the Reg. Season started.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-01-2009, 08:21 PM

No he has not. Favre took many more sacks when he was younger, especially when he held the ball for too long. It was a learned skill for him. If ARod can master it (ND72 had a post about part of it stemming from a look down at his blocking), you will see a marked improvement in his already good play. He showed signs of it this preseason, but they obviously have had more protection issues since the Reg. Season started.

It is amazing how packer fans have collectively wiped out memories of Bert's first 3-4 years.

How can so many forget things like Lambeau exploding in cheers when Bert finally learned to throw the ball away.

Fritz
10-01-2009, 08:36 PM

I am a little concerned about the run D. Its hard to judge against Jackson because at times he made something from nothing, but so did Benson. Someone observed elsewhere that Poppinga has lost contain a TON of times from ROLB. It started in the preseason and continued against the Rams.

I am taking a little less comfort in our Bears game run D as the Bears have continued to have trouble running, possibly due to O Line changes. I hope that trend continues with Peterson.

I'll be interested to see if Popps is out there as often on Monday. I was talking to a friend today who was unhappy with Hawk's play. He'd like to see Bishop more often. I pointed out that if that's going to happen, it woudn't be until after the bye. From what I'm gathering on the board here, the team didn't put Bishop at Hawk's spot til late in pre-season, so he's still learning. Besides, he still is I think not assignment sure - and if you blow an assignment with Peterson running, it's a touchdown.

Sparkey
10-01-2009, 10:44 PM

I have re-watched the first three games numerous times, and when watching the D I get some early conclusions that hopefully will disappear as everyone gets more comfortable in the scheme:

1. Brady Poppinga should be a backup. He is out of position often, and guess way to much. Also, he struggles to dis-engage from blockers. When Matthews is ready, get his ass in there and unleash him.

2. Barnett looks hesitant, which is understandable. He was a bit more active against the Rams, but it appears he is not sure about the knee. Chillar is the better of the two at this moment in time.

3. Kampann is struggling with the play recognition at LB. Basically he is thinking instead of reacting/attacking. Not too worried at this time. He is at LB after seven years of playing end. As he gets more game action in, his natural instincts shoud return.

4. Hawk is Hawk. He doesn't make many huge flashy plays, but very seldom is he out of position or misses tackles. This scheme fits him and I think he will get better. However, I do not think he will ever be that dominating LB many expected, but having an assignment sure tackler at ilb is nothing but a positive.

5. Woodson and Harris are studs. Chuck is top 5 cb and Harris is top 10. They are completely different players but complement each other perfectly.

6. Jenkins is a beast at DE. Considering we were all lead to believe that the ends in this scheme are mostly there to occupy blockers and play the run, it is obvious that Capers knows what type of players he has and is tailoring the scheme to fit the players.

7. Jolly is playing far better than I envisioned him. He looks like the dude from 07 and not 08. Maybe the legal issues have made him realize life is short in the NFL and make the most i\of it while you can.

8. Pickett is solid.

9. Raji is still getting his game legs. Missing two a days shows. He will improve as the season progresses. (The ankle didn't help in this regard)

So, overall, the concerns I have are more along the lines of wondering how long before the players are all comfortable not only with the scheme and their assignments, but the guy next to them. Concerns about the safeties are the biggest issue. I don't believe Bigby will ever be what he was. (Actually, other than a big hitter, he was average at everything else prior to his injury)

Scheme idea: In passing situations, I'd love to see Jenkins and either ILB run some more twists on a blitz with a corner coming in from Jenkins side on a delay. Should cause major confusion by the tackle & guard.

Kiwon
10-01-2009, 11:02 PM
2. Barnett looks hesitant, which is understandable. He was a bit more active against the Rams, but it appears he is not sure about the knee. Chillar is the better of the two at this moment in time.

So what gives with Nick Barnett?

Has he not fully recovered from last season's injury? Not comfortable in the new scheme? Problems off the field?

He's the leading tackler the last few years, always around the ball. He was heading for a Pro Bowl eventually. Wood and Harris are great, but Nick's a playmaker too. We need him big time versus Peterson this week.

Sparkey
10-01-2009, 11:41 PM

So what gives with Nick Barnett?

Has he not fully recovered from last season's injury? Not comfortable in the new scheme? Problems off the field?

He's the leading tackler the last few years, always around the ball. He was heading for a Pro Bowl eventually. Wood and Harris are great, but Nick's a playmaker too. We need him big time versus Peterson this week.

Physically, I believe his knee is fine. Psychologically, I think it is holding him back from letting loose. That takes time (know this from experience) before you again fully trust your knee.

The injury also completely prevented him from partaking in any off-season camps, OTA's and the majority of training camp. Sure he was in the meetings, but that is nothing close to getting those live reps that let you apply the concepts of a scheme.

Fosco33
10-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Did Chilly just say Favre will have the mentality of a serial killer once the game starts?

Odd choice of words to say the least... :shock:

Chevelle2
10-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Did Chilly just say Favre will have the mentality of a serial killer once the game starts?

Odd choice of words to say the least... :shock:

I hope that means Favre will be chucking it around a bunch of times. :D

Chevelle2
10-02-2009, 01:49 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/10/greg-jennings-packers-want-to-beat-brett-favres-vikings-for-aaron-rodgers/1

Greg Jennings: Packers want to beat Brett Favre's Vikings for Aaron Rodgers

:shock:

:D

MOBB DEEP
10-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Lord Favre...

Fritz
10-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Honestly - did Chilly really say that??

If he amps it up any more, next face-off maybe he'll say Favre will have the mentality of a child rapist.

Tell me he didn't invoke the serial killer image as a good thing.

Sparkey
10-02-2009, 08:16 AM
STARTRIBUNE.COM

What does Childress want from Favre?

Last update: October 1, 2009 - 2:51 PM
Print thisPrint this | E-mail thisE-mail this | Save to del.icio.usDel.icio.us | Share on FacebookFacebook | Share on DiggDigg

Vikings coach Brad Childress has said on many occasions that he has pulled one of his players aside and talked to them before a game he thinks might be emotional for them. This might include a guy going to his hometown for the first time to play or playing against his former team.

So what does Childress do when one of his guys spent 16 seasons with a team that now happens to be the Vikings' division rival? We're about to find out. Childress said today that he is sure he will have his usual conversation with Brett Favre before the quarterback faces the Packers on Monday night.

Childress said he realizes Favre might feel some emotions before the game but his hope is that when the game starts Favre has a "serial-killer mentality."

"It usually all stops after pregame handshakes and that type of thing," Childress said of his expectations for Favre's mental state. "Then it gets to being X's and O's out there and scheme. Can you get a tell? Is somebody showing you something? You can't help but knowing personnel, knowing pluses and minuses about people. You just have to make sure that that's not the overriding factor. Then again it comes back to the scheme and playing within the scheme. He'll have enough opportunities to make those off-schedule plays, off-schedule throws on his own. And then trusting the people that are around you. He's an emotional guy and I'm sure there will be a wave of emotion before the game and then kind of hopefully a cold, kind of a serial-killer mentality when the game starts."

Favre paused for a moment when asked about having the mentality of a serial killer.

"Serial killer mentality?" Favre said. "I don't know if I would have put it that way, but I just want to play the way I played last week [against San Francisco]. With a few more improvements. There are a few plays that I could have made last week. ... I don't know how many games I've played in, but this game is no different than the fourth game I played in last year. In reality, this is a Monday night game. Yeah, that's the only game playing and there is more excitement because of that game, but you can't treat it any differently. Trying to keep your emotions in check any time is part of it."

As for Favre's physical well-being, that is another matter. He took a pounding last Sunday against the 49ers. "I've never been as beat after a game as I was the other day," Favre said. "I had nothing left, so that had a lot to do with how I felt."

pbmax
10-02-2009, 08:43 AM
I am starting to think taking away war metaphors from coaches after 9/11 has really done more harm than good.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Childress..."i want Bert to have a serial killer mentality. I want him kill random packers, but stop doing so for years so as to leave the trail cold. I want him to not only kill them but also engage in sick sexual fantasies that must be recreated in order for him to climax and by climax, i mean lead us to victory."

Cheesehead Craig
10-02-2009, 09:39 AM
So, a cool serial killer like Dexter or a wierd one like Dahmer?

denverYooper
10-02-2009, 12:20 PM

Interesting question. Which serial killer would Favre be?

He's not meticulous enough to be Dexter. Or Ted Bundy. And I don't know what his code would be. He'd almost certainly have to be classified as a disorganized serial killer.

He wouldn't be Dahmer either, that fucker was too weak. Favre's a tough bastard, if nothing else.

David Berkowitz, maybe. His decisions actually come from the retriever in his Wrangler commercials. Then there's the letter he sent to Ted that starts "Hello from the gutters of NYC..."

swede
10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Jack the Ripper, definitely.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-02-2009, 12:28 PM

Interesting question. Which serial killer would Favre be?

He's not meticulous enough to be Dexter. Or Ted Bundy. And I don't know what his code would be. He'd almost certainly have to be classified as a disorganized serial killer.

He wouldn't be Dahmer either, that fucker was too weak. Favre's a tough bastard, if nothing else.

David Berkowitz, maybe. His decisions actually come from the retriever in his Wrangler commercials. Then there's the letter he sent to Ted that starts "Hello from the gutters of NYC..."

No, i totally see him as Ted Bundy. All American. Everyone loves him.

Just like Bert....vigorous denial of the facts.

mngolf19
10-02-2009, 12:32 PM

I agree with this 100%.

I would assume both teams do this then. And Capers schemes are not new, just new players running them. The NFL has seen this for years.

bobblehead
10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm kinda hoping our defense is like a bunch of serial killers. Attention to detail, plan ahead to avoid problems, kill the target, disappear back out of town anonymously on a plane. Get away with it about 98% of the time.

MOBB DEEP
10-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Lord Favre...