PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for GB vs MN

CaptainKickass
09-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm no expert, hell, I ain't even a coach, but it's fun to pretend you're the coach - and some of you posters here are the best at "hindsight coaching" so let's put it to the test.

What strategy would you have the Pack employ for the MN showdown? Let's please be a bit more descriptive/creative than the 'ol "gotta stop the run" and "get the running game going".

Offense:

Running:
With the supposed athleticism of our young offensive line, and the rumor that they're better at run blocking than pass blocking, how about we run an old fashioned sweep? It can't really be worse than what we've seen from the run game so far.

Passing:
Bootleg rollouts with greater frequency. The ones where the fullback rolls with the QB. I feel like this would work well with the aforementioned sweep.

***Special offensive consideration***

We could also say fuck it, and take a page from Belicheat a few years ago. Show up and throw down the classic 5 wide/spread offense. No way MN can cover our starting 5 receivers. Screw the run totally, until we get enough scores to where we just try to eat up clock.

Defense:

Leaving this up to Dom's discretion of course, but:
Gotta keep 2 safety's deep all game - both for passing as well as stopping the long run.

The D line should be fresher with a steady rotation of Jenkins, Pickett, Jolly and Raji.

What say all of you?

PlantPage55
09-28-2009, 05:35 PM
On offense:

1. I would start the game out with a flea-flicker right away.

2. Lots of tosses in the run game. We've had success with Ryan Grant against the Vikings D in the past by taking the run away from their beefy line from the start. Their LBs are good, but let's make them work to prove it, because running into that DLine too often would make it too easy for them.

3. This is where we unleash Finley. Throw out of the 2 TE set with frequency.

On defense:

Start out by absolutely selling out to defend the run. 8 men in the box and lots of blitzing early. We either rock Brett early or we learn early on that he has come with his A-game.

Fritz
09-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Run, Forest. run!

But run sweeps. If our linemen are athletic they might be able to stretch that defense and get Grant outside - he can cut back (if Barbre and Colledge do their jobs) or try to get four or five yards going wide.

MOBB DEEP
09-28-2009, 05:56 PM
How many different threads will there be about "The Game"?

falco
09-28-2009, 06:05 PM

The number is only limited by your imagination... get to work Mobb!

MJZiggy
09-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Don't encourage him.

I'd probably start by going after Bert a little bit, but that's because I'm a fan--I realize you can get burned that way, but he tends to start off wild and he'll be hyped extra hard for this one. If you can get in his face (but DON'T hit him) he might toss one up early.

On offense, fake slant to the middle and take it long to Jennings down the sideline.

boiga
09-28-2009, 06:17 PM
How many different threads will there be about "The Game"? This from the guy that had 6 favre threads at once?

I like what Leroy Butler said in his recent column. We need to run to the left the entire game to take Jared Allen out of his comfort zone. I don't want to see Grant trying to find a gap between the tackles all game, because there won't be one against the Williams wall. Grant will find a lot more open field if he waits for Allen to rush into the backfield and lose containment. This will also set up Rodgers to roll out in play action to his right, where he'll have the time and vision to make some plays down field or with his own speed.

On the defensive side of the ball, I'm much more worried AP than the passing game. I'm not sure I trust this big okie arrangement as a long term solution. Still, I'd rather leave the game in Favre's hands than lose 8 yards to Peterson every down. Favre's either going to have an amazing game, or he's going to have a complete meltdown. We know this. We've seen it over and over again in big games. If we can manage to bring the pressure, I like our chances.

The Shadow
09-28-2009, 06:26 PM
OFFENSE
1. I would mostly commit to an early pass-happy approach, with the emphasis on quick short routes - at least until I see how well we can cope with the pass rush.
2. When we do run, I'd attack the edges, and make the fat boys on the inside run. I'd also instruct my guards and center to cut, cut, cut at the knees. The Williams boys hate that.

DEFENSE
If we can't slow up Peterson, nothing will help - he is by far the big danger.
When it comes to Favre :
I'd employ the exact same approach all smart Defensive Coordinators have employed against Favre. That approach is based on what his late-career tendencies are :

- If he has all day to throw, he can cut up a secondary
- he still has a very strong arm
- BUT :
- he now longer seems willing to stand in and take a hit to wait on a route
-he isn't the most cerebral quarterback at reading unexpected coverages
- he will often panic under unexpected pressure
SO : a few early unexpected blitzes and good pressure should encourage the airballs and poor decisions.

bbbffl66
09-28-2009, 06:59 PM
On offense:

Run outside the tackes. Putting your head down and running into a brick wall is dumb. Make the d-line chase.

Quick passes so as to keep ARod alive.
Field postion a must!!!! Play call smart and don't take too many chances that would lead to turnovers or punting from the endzone after yet another bone crusing sack on ARod.

On Defense:

Sell out to stop AP. Hope to god that Chuck and Al bring their A games!
Blitz like hell on pass downs and make Bert have to move in the pocket.

Bossman641
09-28-2009, 07:09 PM
I agree with a lot of what Shadow said.

Run to the edges and make the Williams work down the line. In order to have any success though they will need to make sure to take care of Allen on the backside.

Defensively, it all comes down to slowing down AD. If they can control him and get the Vikings into 2nd and 3rd and long Capers will be able to dial up some blitzes and get some hits on the old man.

Rastak
09-28-2009, 07:13 PM

Run to the edges and make the Williams work down the line. In order to have any success though they will need to make sure to take care of Allen on the backside.

Defensively, it all comes down to slowing down AD. If they can control him and get the Vikings into 2nd and 3rd and long Capers will be able to dial up some blitzes and get some hits on the old man.

Against both Cleveland and Detroit the Vikings got sloppy and lost contain early and often...not nearly as bad last Sunday.

All three teams the Vikings have played have blitzed constantly. I think the 49ers got away from it more in the second half though.

mmmdk
09-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Against both Cleveland and Detroit the Vikings got sloppy and lost contain early and often...not nearly as bad last Sunday.

All three teams the Vikings have played have blitzed constantly. I think the 49ers got away from it more in the second half though.

TV guys said Favre burned 49ers D on their blitz in first half; Niners didn't blitz (much) in second half. They still brought HEAT with their front. Favre almost got picked for six on 4th down but Vikings got the ball back and Favre delivered.

Stopping AD will help stop Favre; then it might get close.

Rastak
09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Yea Michael, he had some REALLY nice throws. Perfect strike to Rice, Berrian dropped a perfect throw, but he also had more than a couple really poor throws. There were 3 or 4 throw I just couldn't see Jackson or Rosenfels making including the last TD. Never would have come to that if the Vikes hadn't whiffed on a block on the halftime FG attempt and then have the ball bounce right into a 9er's hands for a 10 point swing.

Bossman641
09-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Where has most of the pressure been coming from? I would assume RT is a trouble spot but that's nothing more then a guess.

mmmdk
09-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Yea Michael, he had some REALLY nice throws. Perfect strike to Rice, Berrian dropped a perfect throw, but he also had more than a couple really poor throws. There were 3 or 4 throw I just couldn't see Jackson or Rosenfels making including the last TD. Never would have come to that if the Vikes hadn't whiffed on a block on the halftime FG attempt and then have the ball bounce right into a 9er's hands for a 10 point swing.

...so you're saying Packers have a chance? :lol:

What are you and Vikes up to? This worries me! :D

Rastak
09-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Boss, a couple of issues. Sullivan the center has gotten bull rushed a couple of times and Loadholt has been beat with the speed rush as you alluded to. In addition, the backs haven't done a stellar job of picking things up.

That having been said, they've made teams pay a few times and they've finished strong every game. I think having that huge offensive line (minus Sullivan) do wear teams out somewhat. That wasn't nearly as evident yesterday though.

packerbacker1234
09-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Strategy: Make Favre Beat you. Sure, he still can, but Minn domiantes if you leave AP alone.

8 man, 9 man fronts, do whatever you have too, because we can't stop the run for shit. Force Favre to throw it. Leave our CB's and safties on a island one on one.

Take that chance, because AP will destroy us otherwise.

Bretsky
09-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Refer to the Patriot Game Plan; lot of high percentage routes and mix in the run here and there. The Vikings will probably own our OL against the run.

Aaron Rodgers has to bring this win home

Rastak
09-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Refer to the Patriot Game Plan; lot of high percentage routes and mix in the run here and there. The Vikings will probably own our OL against the run.

They (Patriots) essentially went 5 wide and just killed the Vikings (if you are referring to the game a couple years ago). Pass defense isn't nearly as bad as it was then for Minnesota.

Couple reasons, pressure on the QB and better corner play.

mmmdk
09-28-2009, 08:01 PM

I don't think McCarthy is listening; he's gone ole Raider ball with A-Rod.

Little Whiskey
09-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Let's please be a bit more descriptive/creative than the 'ol "gotta stop the run" and "get the running game going".

Score more points then they do.

mmmdk
09-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Let's please be a bit more descriptive/creative than the 'ol "gotta stop the run" and "get the running game going".

If they score 2 (very probable); we score 3!

If they score 7; we score 8 (Crosby can't be trusted anyway).

So there, Captain!

pbmax
09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
The Packers must have more swagger.

Remember, many of the short routes and TE stuff in the middle of the field have been circumscribed by protection issues. McGinn pointed this out again that with some of the protections, Rodgers was throwing to two and three man routes.

So its partially Raider ball, but its also inability to flood a zone with a three man route.

HarveyWallbangers
09-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Looked like San Fran should have gotten an int return for TD before that. Not sure why it wasn't reviewed. The ball appeared to go off the receiver's arm and not the ground. Of course, if San Fran doesn't give up the punt return for a TD, they might win going away. You never know.

Rastak
09-28-2009, 08:54 PM

Looked like San Fran should have gotten an int return for TD before that. Not sure why it wasn't reviewed. The ball appeared to go off the receiver's arm and not the ground. Of course, if San Fran doesn't give up the punt return for a TD, they might win going away. You never know.

True enough on the possible pick six. I was there so didn't see the replays on the other play. Running a kickoff back for a TD in the fashion that it was done doesn't seem as flukey as a blocked kick AND a perfect bounce into someones hands resulting in a 10 point swing. I do see your point but it was the bounce of the ball that was the deciding factor on the last play of the half....that and a whiff block....(the real issue).

mmmdk
09-28-2009, 08:58 PM

True enough on the possible pick six. I was there so didn't see the replays on the other play. Running a kickoff back for a TD in the fashion that it was done doesn't seem as flukey as a blocked kick AND a perfect bounce into someones hands resulting in a 10 point swing. I do see your point but it was the bounce of the ball that was the deciding factor on the last play of the half....that and a whiff block....(the real issue).

Part of the game. Desmond Howard SB MVP, not Bert. :wink:

mmmdk
09-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Anyways, could McCarthy be baking up a sneaky offensive gameplan for Vikings? A la Belicheat? I think not but I hope!

sharpe1027
09-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Offense
1) Mix it up, don't run the ball exclusively on first down.
2) Use a few delayed handoffs to slow the pass rush.
3) Work the underneath routes with Finley/Lee.
4) For the first time in awhile, the backside cut-back was open last week, make sure Grant looks for it.

Defense
1) Contain, contain, contain...keep things up the gut.
2) Don't worry about Favre running and simply do whatever possible to get a push up the middle so he can't step up in the pocket. I am thinking Jenkins and with any luck Raji here). Getting someone up the middle is more important to rattling Favre than hitting him hard from the end. He often get's fired up from a hit, but he doesn't handle pressure up the middle as well.
3) Do whatever is necessary to take away the dump off to AP in the passing game.
4) Catch the 2-3 balls that are going to be there for INTs.

Tarlam!
09-29-2009, 03:47 AM
Defense:

1. Blitz, Blitz Blitz. off the edges.
2. Ragdoll their interior line and bull rush their OTs
3. Mix up the secondary by playing some man coverage like last season
4. Contain AP as we've been able to do in the past
5. Play with the same fire in the belly as we saw in pre-season.
6. Achieve a ton of 3 and outs and stay off the field as long as possible
7. Rotate the big fellas to keep 'em fresh

STs

1. Stay in your lanes and make the tackles
2. Punt and kick better than the first 3 weeks
3. Play with passion, like you are the difference between winning and losing

Offense

1. Come out dinking and dunking.
2. Get the screen pass wworking again instead of focussing on the run game too heavily
3. Give Aaron the ball and let him make plays.
4. Make the correct adjustments at the line and fulfill your assignments.
5. Use 2 TE sets and 5 WR sets more often and give them the opportunity to win matchups

Partial
09-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Run the ball, short passes, stop run. If they can do these three things, they will win.

MichiganPackerFan
09-29-2009, 08:39 AM

Agree. Rodgers has to be a Big Time Player in a Big Time Game.

CaptainKickass
09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
1. I would start the game out with a flea-flicker right away.

I really like this idea.

I'd also like to see Arod use the pump fake. I haven't seen that from him at all if memory serves.

Defensively, it all comes down to slowing down AD.

If Adrian peterson = AP, who the heck is AD?

If they score 2 (very probable); we score 3!

If they score 7; we score 8 (Crosby can't be trusted anyway).

So there, Captain!

Ha-ha, very funny.

Run the ball, short passes, stop run. If they can do these three things, they will win.

Brilliant!

- Excellent thoughts from many on what may occur. It'll be interesting to see which of these are employed during the game.

What other wrinkles might we see?

One wrinkle on my wish list:

I firmly believe that our Defense will need to be the x factor to bring us a win in this game. I'd almost like to see a few 4 man fronts with BJ, Pickett, Jolly, & Jenkins. (and/or Kampman)
That would be a formidable run stopping formation. Both BJ and Jenkins have the ability to drop into a spy/short zone coverage if the "fake-out" is needed, but I believe that that group of 4 is a better 4 man front than GB had back when we were playing the 4-3 defense.

mngolf19
09-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I'd say the Pack needs to make it high scoring early or the Vikes will wear down the Pack DL and AD eventually breaks them. Vikes will just keep pounding and not having Favre throw which means less opps for mistakes. Clear pattern from first 3 games. I think the 49er game was actually a great preparation for this game.

Bossman641
09-29-2009, 11:16 AM
AD = All Day

And yes, the Packers desperately need a quick start. The Packers can not afford to fall behind and let the Viking OL wear down our DL. This is true in the secod half as well. 3rd quarters have not been good to the Packer O.

Zool
09-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Check out the safety on the goal line on the last second TD. Instead of dropping straight back he runs directly at Lewis then has to turn and chase him.

denverYooper
09-29-2009, 11:54 AM
I'd say the Pack needs to make it high scoring early or the Vikes will wear down the Pack DL and AD eventually breaks them. Vikes will just keep pounding and not having Favre throw which means less opps for mistakes. Clear pattern from first 3 games. I think the 49er game was actually a great preparation for this game.

This is what I was thinking. We stand a much better chance playing fast break in this game vs. trying to prove something about how tough we are. Offense needs to get after it early. Best way to nullify the Vikes D line will be for A-rod and receivers to get in a rhythm early. Mix in some runs outside of the Vikings tackles for variety, sure, but I think we really need the short passing game this week.

bobblehead
09-29-2009, 12:28 PM

MLM...now go work on your roman numerals.

Fritz
09-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Here's one thing Tarlam alluded to that I think will be absolutely crucial to the Packers' success:

Don't try to do too much. Just make sure you're carrying out you assignment.

In a game that gets this hyped, it might be tempting to try to do it all - block two guys, abandon your gap responsibility and try to make the play, leave your lane open on special teams to try to deliver a hit.

But that's what will lose you the game. If each player does his job, and trusts the other players to do their jobs, then the Packers will go a long way toward being successful.

This is an issue that several have mentioned in terms of Favre, although to his credit so far this year he has not fallen prey to this temptation.

But it will be tempting to the Packers. I would like MM to stress this point, over and over and over.

But he probably is anyway.

I just hope they can pull it off.

vince
09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I think the Packer should attack through the air with 2 TE's, even though one may have to stay home a lot. I hope this will be Finley's coming out party (although he did pretty well against the Bengals other than the drop early). VD tore up the Vikes last week.

I also think they should run the ball outside away from Winfield.

Defensively, attack the line of scrimmage against both the run and pass, blitzing from different places on practically every down.

3irty1
09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
The Vikings are one of the teams you must set up the run with the pass and not the other way around. Strike early and put Childress in his pass-happy mode. The O executing is the key to this one. The Queen O will get their yards but between Bert, Peeterson, and our secondary I'd expect us to win the turnover battle.

Fritz
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
I think the Packer should attack through the air with 2 TE's, even though one may have to stay home a lot. I hope this will be Finley's coming out party (although he did pretty well against the Bengals other than the drop early). VD tore up the Vikes last week.

Defensively, attack the line of scrimmage against both the run and pass, blitzing from different places on practically every down.

Did the Vikings hire a hooker for a party boat or something?

CaptainKickass
09-29-2009, 05:45 PM

Did the Vikings hire a hooker for a party boat or something?

Not since the last boat ride, at least that we've heard of.

But hey - they say herpes is the gift that keeps on coming back, just when you thought it was gone. Kinda like a certain NFL QB doncha' think?

?

falco
09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
I did get a postcard from a hooker in Minneapolis once.

Fritz
09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Well I just hope that VD rips up the Vikings this week, too.

The Leaper
09-29-2009, 06:15 PM
I would extend the offensive playbook to include more than 1 yard dives or 40 yard bombs...but that's just me.

I'm getting fed up with the lack of production 8-12 yards downfield.

Fritz
09-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Maybe someone can catch the ball 40 yards downfield and run it back until it's a 12 yard gain.

Or maybe the blocking can get better and the runs can go for a higher average.

The Shadow
09-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Maybe someone can catch the ball 40 yards downfield and run it back until it's a 12 yard gain.
Or maybe the blocking can get better and the runs can go for a higher average.

That would solve the problem!

gbgary
10-01-2009, 12:32 AM
strategy for the upcoming game? simple...run on first-down as usual (up the gut for three or less yards), then a negitive play resulting in a loss of yardage (either a strung-out run toward a sideline or sack), then go deep (keeping our fingers crossed for a catch or some sort of defensive penalty), then either repeat this sequence or punt. the 45-55 yard field-goals are key. our defense must stay on the field for at least three first-downs (this keeps the offense rested and fresh). we must continue to rely on the miracle offensive play and/or the defensive turn-over for a touchdown.

:wink:

Fritz
10-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Don't be so upbeat, GBGary.

swede
10-01-2009, 07:27 AM
strategy for the upcoming game? simple...run on first-down as usual (up the gut for three or less yards), then a negitive play resulting in a loss of yardage (either a strung-out run toward a sideline or sack), then go deep (keeping our fingers crossed for a catch or some sort of defensive penalty), then either repeat this sequence or punt. the 45-55 yard field-goals are key. our defense must stay on the field for at least three first-downs (this keeps the offense rested and fresh). we must continue to rely on the miracle offensive play and/or the defensive turn-over for a touchdown.

Reminds me of old school 70's Packer football, when the leading scorer was a kicker and Jimmy Carter was both a middle linebacker and an obscure peanut farmer.

Run for one. Run for two. Incomplete pass. Punt. Repeat.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2009, 08:20 AM
i say it all comes down to blocking and tackling.

denverYooper
10-01-2009, 10:36 AM

Ahhh, reminds me of courting my wife.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2009, 10:43 AM
:lol: I approve of your caveman approach to romance. Pad level is everything.

Fritz
10-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Uh, knee bend, too. Knee bend.

sharpe1027
10-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Uh, knee bend, too. Knee bend.

Aye. Knee bend is the means to the end. Bend the knees to get the desired pad level. A sure fire way to a 16-0 season.

wist43
10-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Well, obviously they have to run the ball effectively... but even if the run game were firing on all cylinders, that is a tough task against Minn.

Our TE's aren't much for run blocking, and man for man our OL can't move their DL... so 2 TE sets will probably be ineffective.

That leaves you with spreading em out with 3-4 WR sets... 3 step drop, short rhythm passes to loosen their defense up, get the LB's to drop out a bit, then run in behind that.

If MM thinks he can line up in 3-4 WR sets, and start heaving the rock downfield, it will be "Katie bar the door".

Defensively, they need to concentrate on AP... forget about Favre. Give them a lot of presnap movement; run blitz, zone blitz, and blitz some more... always with an eye on taking AP out of the game. Make Favre beat you.

In the end... don't see how they win this game. Minnesota has better all around talent, is playing better now, and is the more physical team.

Fritz
10-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I would dearly love to see the packers win, and if they do not it will pain me for about a week. It will hurt.

In the larger picture, what may be almost as important as winning is improvement. What if the Packers battle to the end, it's tight, there is clear improvement on both sides of the ball against a team that the pundits - at the moment - adore? What if this occurs and the team suffers no big injuries?

It the team plays tough and smart and improves yet loses, then all will not be lost. The team gets a bye and IF it beats two teams it seems more talented than - the Browns and Lions, I think - then how will people feel in three and a half weeks, when the team is 4-2?

That's a scenario that I've painted to try to show that this is NOT a be-all or end-all game for this team in terms of winning and losing.

But it is - I believe - a be-all and end-all game in terms of improvement. If this team absolutely flounders - offensive line a sieve, defense defenseless, the game a pounding, the penalties a-mounting - then this team with that game calls into question the entire McCarthy coaching regime, and beyond the Thompson's assessment of talent.

So it's a big game in that regard.

Having said that, I do so want the Packers to win. And most people would agree with Wist - they see no way, they see Minnesota as superior.

I don't. I think the Packers match up. They can win.

pbmax
10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
In the end... don't see how they win this game. Minnesota has better all around talent, is playing better now, and is the more physical team.
You do know that people have been repeating this exact breakdown since 2006. And in that time, the Packers have won 5 of 6.

5 of 6 is a small sample size. But its also possible that this critique needs a reevaluation. The supposed Vikings edges are either not as great as we imagine or not as important.

Might depend a great deal on the QB.

pbmax
10-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Don't make me go to the Game Book again gary. McCarthy was calling it even on first downs until he had a two score lead in the fourth. At least in the Rams game.

Fritz
10-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Facts = Inconvenient

Gets in the way of what I know is true.

The Shadow
10-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Ahhh, reminds me of courting my wife.

I employed a slightly different approach with your wife.

gbgary
10-01-2009, 04:40 PM

Don't make me go to the Game Book again gary. McCarthy was calling it even on first downs until he had a two score lead in the fourth. At least in the Rams game.

i know you know i was being just a bit facetious. i'm just saying though...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif

pbmax
10-01-2009, 06:20 PM

i know you know i was being just a bit facetious. i'm just saying though...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif
No, I missed the joke. I clearly need to step up my screwing off at work. My attention has been too divided. I would take Monday off, but that day is going to be long enough as it is.

Packers4Ever
10-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Check back on Tuesday morning, Mobb !! :lol:

The Leaper
10-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Where is Charles Martin when we need him?

Rastak
10-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Where is Charles Martin when we need him?

Jail?

pbmax
10-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Joe "Turkey" Jones from the Browns might be available. He did the same thing to Bradshaw in the early 80s. I am not too proud to admit at the time I thought it was the prudent move. He always killed the Browns.

If memory serves, they still lost.

Fritz
10-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Who will be Green Bay's next top Charles Martin?

Wouldn't you hate it if one of them did something that stupid?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't know what to say really.
Three minutes
to the biggest battle of our professional lives
all comes down to today.
Either
we heal
as a team
or we are going to crumble.
Inch by inch
play by play
till we're finished.
We are in hell right now, gentlemen
believe me
and
we can stay here
and get the shit kicked out of us
or
we can fight our way
back into the light.
We can climb out of hell.
One inch, at a time.

Now I can't do it for you.
I'm too old.
I look around and I see these young faces
and I think
I mean
I made every wrong choice a middle age man could make.
I uh....
I pissed away all my money
believe it or not.
I chased off
anyone who has ever loved me.
And lately,
I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror.

You know when you get old in life
things get taken from you.
That's, that's part of life.
But,
you only learn that when you start losing stuff.
You find out that life is just a game of inches.
So is football.
Because in either game
life or football
the margin for error is so small.
I mean
one half step too late or to early
you don't quite make it.
One half second too slow or too fast
and you don't quite catch it.
The inches we need are everywhere around us.
They are in ever break of the game
every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch
On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us
to pieces for that inch.
We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch.
Cause we know
when we add up all those inches
that's going to make the fucking difference
between WINNING and LOSING
between LIVING and DYING.

I'll tell you this
in any fight
it is the guy who is willing to die
who is going to win that inch.
And I know
if I am going to have any life anymore
it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch
because that is what LIVING is.
The six inches in front of your face.

Now I can't make you do it.
You gotta look at the guy next to you.
Look into his eyes.
Now I think you are going to see a guy who will go that inch with you.
You are going to see a guy
who will sacrifice himself for this team
because he knows when it comes down to it,
you are gonna do the same thing for him.

That's a team, gentlemen
and either we heal now, as a team,
or we will die as individuals.
That's football guys.
That's all it is.
Now, whattaya gonna do?

MadtownPacker
10-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Those who want to see Favre carted away are fucking pussies. I want to see him have a great game and ARod to match him and let the best QB win. I want to see if the right decision was made not some fucking bailout shit like you weak ass lames want. I want a bigtime game, pressure cooker, rocking the house situation.

Gunakor
10-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Answering questions from last summer isn't what I'm looking forward to. This is about a football game and a football season, not some stale year old soap opera. We got who we got and that's who we gotta win with.

Besides, we won't know if the right decision was made by watching one MNF game. Let's wait 4 or 5 years and then see who's playing better, Rodgers or Favre.

Scott Campbell
10-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Who will be Green Bay's next top Charles Martin?

Wouldn't you hate it if one of them did something that stupid?

:oops:

Tyrone Bigguns
10-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Those who want to see Favre carted away are fucking pussies. I want to see him have a great game and ARod to match him and let the best QB win. I want to see if the right decision was made not some fucking bailout shit like you weak ass lames want. I want a bigtime game, pressure cooker, rocking the house situation.

That's fine. Ty is a pussy. I want to see him laid out. I want to the pack to crush the vikes.

What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

swede
10-02-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't know what to say really.
Three minutes
to the biggest battle of our professional lives
all comes down to today.
Either
we heal
as a team
or we are going to crumble.
Inch by inch
play by play
till we're finished.
We are in hell right now, gentlemen
believe me
and
we can stay here
and get the shit kicked out of us
or
we can fight our way
back into the light.
We can climb out of hell.
One inch, at a time...

...On this team, we fight for that inch
On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us
to pieces for that inch.
We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch.
Cause we know
when we add up all those inches
that's going to make the fucking difference
between WINNING and LOSING
between LIVING and DYING.

Saw that movie the other night for the first time. It's not a perfect football movie, but I liked a lot about it. Oliver Stone must like football.

Scott Campbell
10-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Those who want to see Favre carted away are fucking pussies.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jun2006/RedneckHearse.jpg

The Shadow
10-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I think the Viking opening gameplan will feaure both runs for Peterson AND shorties to the tight ends - to give Favre a chance to settle down.
Bracket the TE, keep Peterson under control, and keep Favre nervous & moving.
The 'keep Peterson under control' will be the major task.

retailguy
10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Those who want to see Favre carted away are fucking pussies.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jun2006/RedneckHearse.jpg

This brings "just because we can" to a whole new meaning, unless, you've finally met Little Whiskey. Then, this would explain a lot.