PDA

View Full Version : The Major factor of the game that no one considers

packers11
09-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Recently (past 2-3 years) when the packers would get in big hyped up games (prime-time) with Favre under the helm you would not know what to expect... Either Favre comes out and plays flawless or comes out and lays and egg.

There really wasn't an 'average' game for Brett Favre in the spot light.

The Bad: When the packers played Dallas he threw 2 int's looked totally rattled and then got hurt.

The Good: When the packers were down 14-0 against the seahawks with the help of the defense and a perfect Brett Favre performance they went on to win the playoff game to advance to the NFC Championship.

The Bad: The NFC-N championship game, besides that throw to Donald Driver, he did not look good at all (2 ints).

The Good: Denver MNF, played good, did not have any turnovers, and a huge play at the end of the game.

I think the major factor of this game is how Favre plays. If Chilly makes him throw 46 times (like last week) and he gets all rattled up by the hype the packers can easily win this game. On the other hand, Favre could come out and play a flawless game, but my point is I think a lot of the outcome has to do on how he plays.

Thoughts?

Tarlam!
09-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Was that Oakland game after Irv Favre died primetime?

packers11
09-29-2009, 09:08 AM

Yes MNF... flawless... Thats when woodson was on the raiders

Tarlam!
09-29-2009, 09:11 AM

I bet he still has that type of game in him, and my concern is the emotions that fuel him will have a similar effect.

Waldo
09-29-2009, 09:17 AM
The Good: When the packers were down 14-0 against the seahawks with the help of the defense and a perfect Brett Favre performance they went on to win the playoff game to advance to the NFC Championship.

Never mind the more than 200 yards rushing that Grant put up.

You don't lose many games where the RB runs for 200+.

Sparkey
09-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Recently (past 2-3 years) when the packers would get in big hyped up games (prime-time) with Favre under the helm you would not know what to expect... Either Favre comes out and plays flawless or comes out and lays and egg.

There really wasn't an 'average' game for Brett Favre in the spot light.

The Bad: When the packers played Dallas he threw 2 int's looked totally rattled and then got hurt.

The Bad: The NFC-N championship game, besides that throw to Donald Driver, he did not look good at all (2 ints).

The Good: Denver MNF, played good, did not have any turnovers, and a huge play at the end of the game.

I think the major factor of this game is how Favre plays. If Chilly makes him throw 46 times (like last week) and he gets all rattled up by the hype the packers can easily win this game. On the other hand, Favre could come out and play a flawless game, but my point is I think a lot of the outcome has to do on how he plays.

Thoughts?

I would expect that the Packers force Favre to beat them by playing 8 in the box and making him throw the ball down field. It seems like the best plausible game plan. The more you make Brett throw the ball, the higher the chances that he makes a few bad throws.

So in that regard, I would pretty much agree with you, although the battle in the trench's will probably be the deciding factor in the end as it has a direct affect on how everything else shakes out in the game.

Tarlam!
09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Sparkey nails it, IMHO, when he says the battle will be won in the trenches. But, Sparkey, AP is continuously successful against 8 ITHB defenses. That's the problem.

We really need to focus on our game and score on nearly every possession, and at the same time make stops. Turnovers are a bonus.

That's how to take their QB out of the game.

CaptainKickass
09-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Agreed, it all depends on which Bert shows up. It also could be one of those schizo games where he stinks it up in one half and not the other.

http://www.sportsfan4.com/media/brett_favre_letmeplay.jpg

I'd really enjoy it if our Defense played so well that Bert's press conference after the game made him look like this:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/nfl/2008/07/medium_Favre.jpg

During the game I'll be yelling something like this at the TV:

http://images.quickblogcast.com/37835-35038/Brett_Favre1.jpg

"C'mon Old man, throw it to Al, just for old times sake!"

Sparkey
09-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Sparkey nails it, IMHO, when he says the battle will be won in the trenches. But, Sparkey, AP is continuously successful against 8 ITHB defenses. That's the problem.

We really need to focus on our game and score on nearly every possession, and at the same time make stops. Turnovers are a bonus.

That's how to take their QB out of the game.

Your are right, it is a huge problem. It is highly unlikely that they can STOP AP, but if they can control him, limit the big runs and get Minny in some 2nd and 3rd and +7 to go, it will force Childress to use the pass more.

I would like to see the Pack have a bit more success with their blitzing up the middle in this game. Raji and Matthews will be important in that regard. If Raji and manhandle the guards a force some double teams, that opens up the inside linebackers.

Then the outside backers and safeties need to wrap-up on AP. I could see them using a lot of "Big Okie" in this game and run the corners in off the edge.

Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Deputy Nutz
09-29-2009, 11:15 AM

Or the two fumbles he put on the ground that led to the 14 point hole.

Waldo
09-29-2009, 11:21 AM

I would not have chosen that game as one that highlights the glory of Brett Favre.

After those two fumbles, Grant DOMINATED the rest of the game. In order of importance of people that brought us back, I'd have Brett ranked 3rd, behind Grant and Bigby.

Typical Favre worship though. His teammates do all the work, he gets all the glory. They are just a bunch of scrubs getting in the way of the great one winning every game.

mission
09-29-2009, 12:00 PM

So what you're saying is that the Seahawks actually did absolutely NOTHING and would not have even been close to in that game (even early on) without help from Grant's fumbles?

That makes sense...

So what were you saying again?

bobblehead
09-29-2009, 12:11 PM

I would not have chosen that game as one that highlights the glory of Brett Favre.

After those two fumbles, Grant DOMINATED the rest of the game. In order of importance of people that brought us back, I'd have Brett ranked 3rd, behind Grant and Bigby.

Typical Favre worship though. His teammates do all the work, he gets all the glory. They are just a bunch of scrubs getting in the way of the great one winning every game.

Waldo, we are in big time agreement here. But, I'll give BF some credit for taking over the next drive after the fumbles and regaining momentum. I hate to admit it, but BF showed poise and leadership in that game that allowed grant to come back and dominate it.

Gunakor
09-29-2009, 01:14 PM

I bet he still has that type of game in him, and my concern is the emotions that fuel him will have a similar effect.

There's a little mentioned fact about that game. Favre wasn't the only one who was perfect that day. On that day, every player on that roster played the best football of their lives. Everybody was perfect. It was the greatest team display I have ever personally seen.

Favre may have a game like that left in him. But in order for the Vikings to see a similar result, the rest of the team will have to be perfect too. And, as I said, I've only seen it happen that way once in my lifetime.

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.sequelsolutions.biz/bretsky1.jpg

MadtownPacker
09-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Waldo, we are in big time agreement here. But, I'll give BF some credit for taking over the next drive after the fumbles and regaining momentum. I hate to admit it, but BF showed poise and leadership in that game that allowed grant to come back and dominate it.Why do you hate to admit he did something great as a Packer?? That fucking BS. Hate him for now but dont pretend before didnt happen. Unless you want to be a hater like waldo the genius. grant tried his best to give the game away and for all the crap Favre got about the following week in the NFC championshiop he deserves a shit load fo credit for the Packer even getting to the damn game.

Deputy Nutz
09-29-2009, 05:27 PM

So what you're saying is that the Seahawks actually did absolutely NOTHING and would not have even been close to in that game (even early on) without help from Grant's fumbles?

That makes sense...

So what were you saying again?

All I mentioned were the two fumbles by Grant. They were bad fumbles, one we caught a pass stumbled around dropped the ball on the ground and the other I believe he was hardly touched and the ball bounded away. The Seahawks got worked after the easy field position was cut off.

Favre's leadership in that game was very hard to ignore. So Waldo I think that game can be mentioned as a great performances by him, and also a very good game statistically speaking. I think Bobblehead got it right with his post above. After Grant's second fumble you could see Favre go up to him pat him on the backside and afterward Grant told the media that Favre just told him to keep his head up because the team was gonna need him the rest of the game. Favre didn't rush the 200 yards for him, but Favre kept Grant's head in the game.

Fritz
09-29-2009, 05:41 PM
"The Major Factor of the Game No One Considers"

...would be how many players get smashed/stoned/relentlessly boned the night before the game.

....would be how many players fought with their wives, found out their Dads were bixexual, learned their sisters had serious illnesses, ate two dozen White Castle hamburgers the night before the game.

These could be major factors. No one has mentioned them...til now.

Others we have not considered?

packers11
09-29-2009, 05:42 PM
"

smartass... you know the point I was trying to get across :lol: :wink:

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2009, 05:54 PM

There's a little mentioned fact about that game. Favre wasn't the only one who was perfect that day. On that day, every player on that roster played the best football of their lives. Everybody was perfect. It was the greatest team display I have ever personally seen.

Spot-on...frickn surreal...time was in suspension...

Fritz
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
"

I'm just trying to get the thread on track, and to stimulate the brains of these rats.

Here's another one: the major factor could be the refereeing crew that does the game. Some refs seem worse than others.

sheepshead
09-29-2009, 06:03 PM
"

No, its not a bad point. My memories are on big games I think he broke our hearts more often than not. Minnesota, St Louis, Dallas, playoffs. NFC championship

MichiganPackerFan
09-29-2009, 07:02 PM
"The Major Factor of the Game No One Considers"

...would be how many players get smashed/stoned/relentlessly boned the night before the game.

....would be how many players fought with their wives, found out their Dads were bixexual, learned their sisters had serious illnesses, ate two dozen White Castle hamburgers the night before the game.

These could be major factors. No one has mentioned them...til now.

we're talking about factors the players experience before the game :wink:

Fritz
09-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Maybe not. If I sit in the wrong place on the couch, we're doomed.

Worse yet, I'm going to watch the game at a friend's house. I am 0-2 at games watched at his house.

This loss could be on me.