PDA

View Full Version : PFW whispers (NFC North comments)

Rastak
07-25-2006, 05:49 AM
• In addition to being a few pounds lighter and a half-step faster after training in Arizona this offseason, Kevin Jones made notable improvement as a receiver with diligent pass-catching work. Jones wants to be a more well-rounded back and relegate Arlen Harris and rookie Brian Calhoun to limited roles.

• RBs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport won't be practicing with the Packers when camp opens but should return in the near future. Second-year RB Samkon Gado, who must improve making reads in the new zone-blocking system, has a chance to nail down a significant role -- even if he's not the starter -- if Green isn't on the field by early August. General manager Ted Thompson said he expects Green back by mid-August.

• WR Robert Ferguson might be a good fit at split end in the Packers' offense, which promises to be more vertical than the traditional West Coast system. Ferguson isn't a great route runner and drops too many balls going underneath. But he can run in the open and has more experience than rookie Greg Jennings, who the team privately hopes can win the job.

• One league source says the Lions aren't married to Jon Kitna as their starting quarterback. Kitna was initially signed as Joey Harrington's backup and thrust into the top job only after Harrington was sent packing. Josh McCown, signed to a two-year deal, might become the answer if Kitna falters.

• The Bears paid special attention to their special teams in the offseason and believe the additions of DB Dante Wesley, WR Alex Bannister and rookie returners Danieal Manning and Devin Hester give them one of the best "teams" in the league. "We put a lot of teeth into special teams," GM Jerry Angelo told PFW. "Most defensive-minded teams do, and we feel we'll have pretty good special teams."

Creepy
07-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Now why do they say GB is going more vertical? All the talk was getting back to a traditional WC style offense. Traditional is not vertical. It is usingthe backs & TEs and crossing patterns.

They think that Ferguson will be a good split end because he likes to run in the open field. Big hairy deal, he still frops them and is limited. PFW, sounds like it is regurgitating 2005 write ups. Nothing interetsing here, just soemthing to write in the summer.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2006, 09:39 AM
General manager Ted Thompson said he expects Green back by mid-August.

This tells me Green has a long way back to 100%. I think we need to think of him as a rotation guy only, at least until later in the season.

WR Robert Ferguson might be a good fit at split end in the Packers' offense, which promises to be more vertical than the traditional West Coast system. Ferguson isn't a great route runner and drops too many balls going underneath. But he can run in the open and has more experience than rookie Greg Jennings, who the team privately hopes can win the job.

Boy, you talk about damning a guy with faint praise! Makes Fergy sound like Forrest Gump. "Run, Forrest! No, the other way!"

Fosco33
07-25-2006, 11:27 AM
General manager Ted Thompson said he expects Green back by mid-August.

This tells me Green has a long way back to 100%. I think we need to think of him as a rotation guy only, at least until later in the season.

:lol:

I wasn't comfortable w/ the RBs back in January and I'm not feeling any different right now. Healthy and Ahman in the same sentence gives me feelings of Middle East Peace. They just don't belong together.

So, we start Gado, an average at best unproven, undrafted RB who started two games at a D-1AA school? :roll:

Or, we turn to Davenpoop (who again is never healthy but a much better back IMO) or Herron (who really should be a backup at best).

And all this to have Green come back, just to get injured again?

This doesn't feel right or pass my logical 'smell test'.

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 11:42 AM
I agree Fosco33. Ahman Green really getting started by mid August smacks of last years TC , and the man never got on track or comfortable.

We are on a more precarious perch at RB than what I see at WR.

Once, even as late as this time last season - OUR solid strengths (RB and WR) now, both in ruin. Then there's OUR once solid OL.

Not good - not at all good.

We need alot of LUCK !