PDA

View Full Version : Taking advantage of old people!

Patler
09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I subscribe to many publications, and am a "member" of various organizations related to my pastimes and hobbies. Recently I received the following offers:

A "lifetime" membership in one organization for $275. Annually right now it is about $20.
Twelve monthly issues free if I renew now and pay for an additional 24 months on a subscription I just renewed for 12 months in July.

Neither sound like good investments for me! :lol: :lol:

MadtownPacker
09-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Guess they dont think you are very smart. Something you aint telling us?

Kiwon
09-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Sounds like ACORN is into publishing now.

hoosier
09-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I subscribe to many publications, and am a "member" of various organizations related to my pastimes and hobbies. Recently I received the following offers:

A "lifetime" membership in one organization for $275. Annually right now it is about $20.Twelve monthly issues free if I renew now and pay for an additional 24 months on a subscription I just renewed for 12 months in July.

If you're over 60, you're right: actuarially speaking it's a bad deal. Unless you could pass the LT subscription on to your offspring like they were Packers season tix. :lol:

Patler
09-30-2009, 02:03 PM

A "lifetime" membership in one organization for $275. Annually right now it is about $20.Twelve monthly issues free if I renew now and pay for an additional 24 months on a subscription I just renewed for 12 months in July.

If you're over 60, you're right: actuarially speaking it's a bad deal. Unless you could pass the LT subscription on to your offspring like they were Packers season tix. :lol:

Your comment made me curious, so I looked it up. Male life expectancy at birth is a shade under 75. However, at age 60 male life expectancy is slightly over 20 additional years, to age 80+. At age 110, male life expectancy is less than a year.

hoosier
09-30-2009, 02:13 PM

Your comment made me curious, so I looked it up. Male life expectancy at birth is a shade under 75. However, at age 60 male life expectancy is slightly over 20 additional years, to age 80+. At age 110, male life expectancy is less than a year.

My bad, I was using similar figures but was doing the math as if the cost were $475, not $275. So take the deal if you're >60 and < 70! If you are 110, buy the subscription and send me the bill.

Patler
09-30-2009, 02:35 PM

My bad, I was using similar figures but was doing the math as if the cost were $475, not $275. So take the deal if you're >60 and < 70! If you are 110, buy the subscription and send me the bill.

I'll need your address! :lol: :lol:

hoosier
09-30-2009, 03:03 PM

I'll need your address! :lol: :lol:

I'm sure you'll forget it just as soon as I give it to you. If not before. :lol:

Scott Campbell
09-30-2009, 05:51 PM
At age 110, male life expectancy is less than a year.

What a rip off.

MJZiggy
09-30-2009, 06:12 PM
For my dad's 84th birthday, I asked him what he wanted and he said, "another birthday." He got two more, but I really couldn't be depended on to deliver them so I got him a Packer sweatshirt.

(note to self: add to will intention to be buried in favorite Packer hoodie.)

swede
10-01-2009, 04:00 PM
(note to self: add to will intention to be buried in favorite Packer hoodie.)

That's an interesting request since one of our favorite Packer hoodies has more than once shared that he wouldn't mind being buried in you.