PDA

View Full Version : UrinalScented Shamelessly Misleads and Bores Readers

Cleft Crusty
09-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi Folks,

As you know, Cleft Crusty may be a lot of negative things: I care not for the excitement or outcome of games, I support absurd positions regarding NFL GMs, I take more prescription drugs than Canada, I drive my wife around on the back of my Harley for thousands of miles, collecting bugs, visiting ramshackle high school stadiums, and I think my son in law is a wuss because he won't eat spicy food. Did I mention that I can bench press 270? But one thing I cannot tolerate are 'news' articles in the UninalScented, my semi-former employer, that promise one thing, and deliver another - or worse - deliver nothing. Take for example the column by Lori Nickle entitled "LB Matthews was brought in to make a splash in big games - like the one Monday vs. Favre and the Vikings". Were I to write this article I might actually talk to a football guy - Player, GM, coach, scout, assistant high school football coach, kid on a bike riding down my street with a helmet - you get the point - I would have talked with SOMEONE about Matthews and pass rushing and get quotes. Instead, Ms. Nickle, on loan from her script writing sabbatical from the We network, writes a piece about a hamstring injury. Compelling stuff to be sure, but the tease of the title and the first, speculative, flowery paragraph - devoid of football knowledge, quotes, or compelling insight, was followed up by an outrageously long-winded examination of player opinions on the effect of a muscle pull. This is why I took early retirement. I didn't need to prostitute myself for that rag any longer, even for that sweet $129/week.

MichiganPackerFan
09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
It was a sad day when I found you were leaving. I believe I had just paid my annual dues when I found out. I liked the no-bs non-homer reporting and blunt chats. It's been nice to see more of that in here!

Fritz
09-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Cleft, she is a much finer looking prostitute than you ever might have been, even in your prime.

KYPack
09-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Cleft, I have long admired the turgid prose of Ms Nickel. She is a credit to her race, the human race, that is.

Why, her piece on the ZBS when she interviewed Jags was a masterpiece. It should have been entitled, "How to get smoke blown up your ass for an hour and still not gotten any material to write an article, but writing one anyhow".

She may have to go back to penning bio's for the WNBA, but I know she wants to finish up this pesky Packer job first.

Jimx29
09-30-2009, 11:37 PM
hmmm.....$129/week, eh?

Braggart

8-)

Fritz
10-01-2009, 08:30 PM
I wonder if her prose was all that was turgid when Jags was talking to her.

pasquale
10-01-2009, 09:31 PM
hmmm.....$129/week, eh?

Braggart

8-)

not sure why I'm quoting this...but your avatar has nice underboobage

pbmax
10-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I think the cheesy "Photo Illustration" was enough of a clue to not take it seriously. If a newspaper stoops to doctoring photos of players who have not faced each other, the odds of meaningful journalism being committed are pretty low, I think.

I mean just look at the National Enquirer. The two people next to each other on the cover are never in the same light.

Cleft Crusty
10-01-2009, 10:15 PM
It was a sad day when I found you were leaving. I believe I had just paid my annual dues when I found out. I liked the no-bs non-homer reporting and blunt chats. It's been nice to see more of that in here!

I call them as I see them. I will give you unvarnished opinion whether you like it or not. If I insult you, it's not that I don't like you or respect you, It's most likely that I just think you are full of horse excrement. My charming personality always makes up for my no-nonsense approach to football analysis.

Cleft Crusty
10-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I think the cheesy "Photo Illustration" was enough of a clue to not take it seriously. If a newspaper stoops to doctoring photos of players who have not faced each other, the odds of meaningful journalism being committed are pretty low, I think.

I mean just look at the National Enquirer. The two people next to each other on the cover are never in the same light.

That's a great point Mr. Max. One must wonder what the UrinalScented is paying for photographers these days that they run propaganda as opposed to say a gripping photo of two old men battling it out over a timed game of chess.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2119945882_ff2e1c3e94.jpg

MJZiggy
10-02-2009, 06:13 AM
That's a really cool shot...

Fritz
10-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Ah, it's photoshopped.

sharpe1027
10-02-2009, 09:45 AM
The National Enquirer is fake? Does anyone need a tinfoil hat for really cheap?

MJZiggy
10-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Ah, it's photoshopped.

:(

Fritz
10-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Just messing around.

But why is the old guy smoking a joint?

MichiganPackerFan
10-03-2009, 08:22 AM

That's a great point Mr. Max. One must wonder what the UrinalScented is paying for photographers these days that they run propaganda as opposed to say a gripping photo of two old men battling it out over a timed game of chess.

What's the source of this photo?

Cleft Crusty
10-03-2009, 09:13 AM

What's the source of this photo?

The Miskolc Intelligencer.