PDA

View Full Version : forget trying to guess the score, who's gonna win...

gbgary
10-02-2009, 12:34 PM
PACKERS or minn.?

PackerTimer
10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Aaron Rodgers steps out from the shadow in a big way!

channtheman
10-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Someone said you can't have a blowout every game and we really haven't had one yet. This is it. Pack wins BIG intercepting Favre 9 times and returning 3 for TD's.

Waldo
10-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I think that we completely shut down AD, flood the middle of the field with defenders, leaving Al and Tramon all alone outside the numbers all game, and completely stifle their offense. Use Favre's pathetic sideline accuracy as an extra defender.

OTOH I think that the running game clicks this week and Grant runs for more than 125.

And AR again gets a big streak of completions going, like he has been known to do from time to time in his career.

bobblehead
10-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Waldo, I hope you are dead on, except I want to shut down AP instead of AD.

Anyway, my heart is with GB and I voted accordingly, but if I had to bet my life savings on the game.......

sheepshead
10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Waldo, I hope you are dead on, except I want to shut down AP instead of AD.

Anyway, my heart is with GB and I voted accordingly, but if I had to bet my life savings on the game.......

His nickname is AD=All Day

sheepshead
10-02-2009, 12:56 PM
This game might be too much to ask. But I like the Favre Implodes theory after some pressure and a Packer lead. I would take a split and we beat them on points scored head-to-head.

pbmax
10-02-2009, 01:09 PM
I thought his nickname was Purple Jesus?

MOBB DEEP
10-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I thought his nickname was Purple Jesus?

That too; beast...

retailguy
10-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I think that we completely shut down AD, flood the middle of the field with defenders, leaving Al and Tramon all alone outside the numbers all game, and completely stifle their offense. Use Favre's pathetic sideline accuracy as an extra defender.

OTOH I think that the running game clicks this week and Grant runs for more than 125.

And AR again gets a big streak of completions going, like he has been known to do from time to time in his career.

The only thing I've seen so far in 2009 that even remotely resembles this is the fact that they shut down Forte in week 1. Then, looking at that, Forte has not done very well this season, doesn't even resemble the guy that we saw last year. He has 150 yards total this year with zero touchdowns. Now, in week 2, we saw Cedric Benson come into Lambeau and look like a cross between Barry Sanders and Earl Campbell... Which defense was real? Perhaps too soon to tell.

So, Waldo, I don't see this at all. Maybe the OL comes on and we see what we saw in preseason. Maybe the packer players get all fired up to show Favre that they aren't pleased with the prima donna act. Short of those two things, I would suspect that I'm not going to be too pleased with the game or its outcome.

mraynrand
10-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I voted for ESPN.

Waldo
10-02-2009, 02:09 PM
The only thing I've seen so far in 2009 that even remotely resembles this is the fact that they shut down Forte in week 1. Then, looking at that, Forte has not done very well this season, doesn't even resemble the guy that we saw last year. He has 150 yards total this year with zero touchdowns. Now, in week 2, we saw Cedric Benson come into Lambeau and look like a cross between Barry Sanders and Earl Campbell... Which defense was real? Perhaps too soon to tell.

Cedric came in, the busted out the U-71, and rolled up 40 yards on 4 carries on their first drive, after that or D held him to 101 yards on 25 carries, a respectable 4.0 YPC.

Contrary to popular belief, our D is not a static situation. MM and Dom couldn't simulate all the different ways that OC's are going to try to attack our D. Our D will continue to get better week after week as they get used to all the nuances. Cincy was probably the worst possible opponent, their line is built very different and their scheme is very different, and very used to attacking 3-4 defenses. Mn runs almost exactly the same run scheme as we do.

So what if it is too soon to tell. Does that mean slow play it like I'm scared to state an opinion until something is proven. Nope. I believe in our guys and think that they can do it. Especially since Farve sucks deep and on the sidelines. Dom can flood the short middle with defenders and take away AD's running space and Brett's throwing space. Nothing quite like 8 1/2 in the box to stop AD.

Why do you call yourself the Kool Aid Rat when you are one of the most consistently negative posters around here?

retailguy
10-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Cedric came in, the busted out the U-71, and rolled up 40 yards on 4 carries on their first drive, after that or D held him to 101 yards on 25 carries, a respectable 4.0 YPC.

Contrary to popular belief, our D is not a static situation. MM and Dom couldn't simulate all the different ways that OC's are going to try to attack our D. Our D will continue to get better week after week as they get used to all the nuances. Cincy was probably the worst possible opponent, their line is built very different and their scheme is very different, and very used to attacking 3-4 defenses. Mn runs almost exactly the same run scheme as we do.

So what if it is too soon to tell. Does that mean slow play it like I'm scared to state an opinion until something is proven. Nope. I believe in our guys and think that they can do it. Especially since Favre sucks deep and on the sidelines. Dom can flood the short middle with defenders and take away AD's running space and Brett's throwing space. Nothing quite like 8 1/2 in the box to stop AD.

Why do you call yourself the Kool Aid Rat when you are one of the most consistently negative posters around here?

So what if it's too soon to tell? Honestly, I'd feel better about this game if it were six weeks from now. I think the "D" will continue to improve, but it will be a slow process. In the short term, I think the Cincy game tells us they've got a ways to go. I don't think they fixed all of that in two weeks, but we'll see.

I lost my optimism for this team in 2005, with the personnel changes that year, and the decimation of the OL. Contrary to your viewpoint, I have not seen much consistent improvement in that line, and believe it to be the largest achilles heel on this team, consistently since that day.

I've seen some sporadic improvement in Spitz, I think he's the most consistent. Colledge, I have never been a fan of, and still am really not. Until two weeks ago, I thought he was a much better tackle than guard, maybe the jury is still out, we shall see. Tausch and Cliffy have definitely been impacted by this stupid ZBS crap, and by having young guys next to them continually for the past 3 years. Now tausch is gone, and they replaced him with the backup diet pepsi machine.

that's why I'm negative. I see little proof that's changing. When it changes, I'll be optimistic again.

Rodgers in my mind is playing lights out, behind this line. Grant is serviceable, IF, we have a good line, he'd be OK. I love the receivers and like Finley a lot. There is no reason for 3 fullbacks.

That's about it. Can't wait for Monday night. Really interested to see what happens. Who wants it more? I think that's what decides it, and I don't think the outcome is close. Just can't figure out which way it goes.

wist43
10-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Just can't see the line protecting Rodgers well enough, and I expect Peterson to have a huge game.

Hope I'm wrong on both counts :)

superfan
10-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Going into the season I figured these teams would split, each team winning at home. Haven't seen anything yet that would make me change that happen. Should be a close, entertaining game and a Packer win would be fantastic, but if I take the homer goggles off, I don't see it happening.

Rastak
10-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Going into the season I figured these teams would split, each team winning at home. Haven't seen anything yet that would make me change that happen. Should be a close, entertaining game and a Packer win would be fantastic, but if I take the homer goggles off, I don't see it happening.

Well, Vikes have been a bit out of sync on both offense and defense so far this season so I think GB has a chance with their offense. If the Vikings can dial up some pressure I like the Vikings in a close one. If Peterson can get a 5yd ave and get enough carries to keep drives alive, another plus for Minnesota.

I'm hoping Bert isn't too hyped for the game and Alan Rodgers is running for his life.

Tarlam!
10-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Vikes crush the Pack.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them winning. This will be a tale of which tem's deficits are most liabel.

Bretsky
10-02-2009, 11:26 PM
I see GB winning a close one; I'm surprised the voters are nearly even. I'd have thought the kool aide would be flowing stronger in this forum

MadtownPacker
10-03-2009, 01:08 AM
I voted for ESPN.Haha, aint that the truth.

mmmdk
10-03-2009, 03:51 AM
Vikes crush the Pack.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them winning. This will be a tale of which tem's deficits are most liabel.

This is the most likely result but...read post below...

mmmdk
10-03-2009, 03:55 AM
I see GB winning a close one; I'm surprised the voters are nearly even. I'd have thought the kool aide would be flowing stronger in this forum

Packers have a slight chance of winning 'cos it's the VIKINGS and "fixed" or not; it's about honor and a hated rivalry. You don't want to lose this one. Yet the most talented team wins; Packers aren't nasty enough.

3irty1
10-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Its so hard to guess.

On one hand the Packers defense has always fared well against the Vikings due impart to having our best run stoppers on the right and our pass rush on the left, reverse of most teams and aligned well against an abnormally dominant left side of the Vikings OL. On the other hand our OL needs to put together a complete game for the first time this season.

On one hand McCarthy has been pretty much a nightmare for Childress, beating him 5 times in a row before finally losing by a long field goal the last time they met. On the other hand the Vikings "Kick ass offense" no longer appears one dimensional and has gone from looking like a highschool offense to a really good highschool offense.

On one hand the Packers are the guardians of all that is good and righteous. On the other hand the game takes place in that inflatable hell shrine, cloaked from the eyes of God, making divine intervention unlikely.

I'll go with the Pack. Good over evil.