PDA

View Full Version : Raji, Jolly slowed by injuries, iffy for Vikings g

packers11
10-02-2009, 07:58 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091002/PKR01/91002188/1058

Notebook: Raji, Jolly slowed by injuries, iffy for Vikings game

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

This isn’t the week the Green Bay Packers want to be short on run stoppers.

Four days before they face the NFL’s leading rusher, Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson, the Packers were without defensive linemen Johnny Jolly and B.J. Raji. Both were added to the injury report on Friday after they weren’t able to do much in practice, leaving their status for Monday’s game at the Metrodome in doubt.

Raji, who has missed two of the first three games because of the ankle he aprained in the preseason finale, had another problem with the ankle in practice on Thursday. He went through only a few of the early drills in practice but wasn’t in pads and officially was listed as a limited participant.

The Packers will hold one more practice today before leaving for Minneapolis on Sunday.

“B.J. Raji had a setback with his ankle,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said after Friday’s practice. “I’m hopeful he’ll practice (today). We’ll see how he feels (today).”

Jolly injured his abdomen in practice on Thursday, but McCarthy seemed far more optimistic about his availability than he was about Raji’s.

“It just kind of flared up on him yesterday,” McCarthy said. “But I’m confident that Johnny will probably practice tomorrow. We’re just being smart with both of those guys.”

If neither is able to play on Monday, it will leave the Packers short-handed. They only have six defensive linemen on their roster and have had five active for each of the first three games. Counting end Cullen Jenkins, who also has a groin injury but was a full participant in Friday’s practice, half of the Packers’ defensive linemen were on the injury report.

They have two defensive linemen on the practice squad, end Ronald Talley and tackle Anthony Toribio, so they could promote one or both of them, but they’d have to make room on their 53-man roster.

:shock: If Jolly and Raji don't play we are in deep trouble...I hope this is a Bill Belicheat tactic, and that both Raji and Jolly will be available come game time.

retailguy
10-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Huh. I wonder if Raji is Justin Harrell's twin brother? Keep him outta the weight room! :shock:

Jolly. Wow. Mission, can you get him some more purple drank? He's gotta be available or we'll be down to relying on Michael Montgomery. :shock:

mission
10-02-2009, 08:06 PM
No way they don't play. Mm is just being extra sure...

mission
10-02-2009, 08:20 PM
RG - $30 an oz... whatever it takes !!! :)

retailguy
10-02-2009, 08:22 PM
RG - $30 an oz... whatever it takes !!! :)

Where do I send the check? gotta help my boys! :D

wist43
10-02-2009, 09:16 PM
If they don't play... I think we're sunk - although, I do have AP in 2 FF leagues, so on the bright side... pretty sure I'll win those :D

Tony Oday
10-02-2009, 09:35 PM
It wont be easier if they are out however did we have either one of them playing in the games last year? I think our biggest concern in the running game and the screen pass/dump off plays is the outside contain...

Rastak
10-02-2009, 10:12 PM
It wont be easier if they are out however did we have either one of them playing in the games last year? I think our biggest concern in the running game and the screen pass/dump off plays is the outside contain...

I think the real issue is how the Vikings handle the kitchen sink that will likely be thrown at them. They've pulled off some plays to burn blitzes but those same blitzes have kept the opposition in games from what I've seen.

It seems that all 3 teams the Vikings have faced have blitzed the hell out of them. I think the Lions might have backed off after a couple big plays but otherwise......

KYPack
10-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Sweet Mother McCree, what next?

Yeah Mish, get Johnny some lean so he won't be feelin' no pain!

pbmax
10-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I think they are sandbagging on Clifton. :satan:

OK, I HOPE they are sandbagging on Clifton!

denverYooper
10-02-2009, 10:41 PM
They'll play.

pbmax
10-02-2009, 11:07 PM
They'll play.
They better. We might need Clifton at Defensive End.