PDA

View Full Version : forget who's gonna win or the score, who's gonna............

Jimx29
10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Whelp?? :?

Harlan Huckleby
10-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm the asshole who voted for Rodgers. I got a bad feeling about this game.

Bretsky
10-02-2009, 11:35 PM

With all those high potential young guys on that OL they should own the oldie Williams terds :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
10-02-2009, 11:37 PM
If Clifton can play I'll feel a lot better about Rodger's life expectancy.

Jimx29
10-03-2009, 02:53 AM
I'm the asshole who voted for Rodgers. I got a bad feeling about this game.QFT

The Williams brother scare me allot.
If the o-line played even kinda close to the level they played preseason I wouldn't be as worried, but the level they are at right now is not a good situation to be in.

mmmdk
10-03-2009, 05:08 AM
I voted OTHER; someone will probably get hurt!

SkinBasket
10-03-2009, 07:12 AM
The old man at Asiana will fall first if I can't get nutz sedated quickly enough.

pbmax
10-03-2009, 08:24 AM

With all those high potential young guys on that OL they should own the oldie Williams terds :lol:
At what age do they stop being young in your mind?

Bretsky
10-03-2009, 08:30 AM

At what age do they stop being young in your mind?

solid question

they get two...maybe three years on the developmental squad

But I'm not churning the bottom two on the roster every year or two; I've got a vet or two on the roster who can get the job done if injuries occur

So to take your point a step further, these guys should be performing or replaced...........hence the issue..........we've got nobody to replace them with that are as good if they stink.

pbmax
10-03-2009, 09:05 AM
I understand you concern Bretsky, but with rosters limited and no more NFL-E exceptions, there are very few routes to stash promising young lineman. Rivera and Andruzzi each got a year in NFL-E and a roster exemption.

Those two guys (and others) might not last on the practice squad. So development today will look much different with only the practice squad available. Look what happened to Meredith and he wasn't even ready to play.

You could sign a vet Tackle (certainly looks like a good idea this week) but then where is the room for Clifton's eventual replacement?

retailguy
10-03-2009, 09:07 AM
how many promising lineman does one team need to stash? one, two, or fourteen? How many is too many? if you have a lot of promising linemen, but no one with experience to back up your starters, are you vulnerable?

Bretsky
10-03-2009, 09:21 AM
I understand you concern Bretsky, but with rosters limited and no more NFL-E exceptions, there are very few routes to stash promising young lineman. Rivera and Andruzzi each got a year in NFL-E and a roster exemption.

Those two guys (and others) might not last on the practice squad. So development today will look much different with only the practice squad available. Look what happened to Meredith and he wasn't even ready to play.

You could sign a vet Tackle (certainly looks like a good idea this week) but then where is the room for Clifton's eventual replacement?

Meredith ? Attitude Concers and very far away. Losing him is no biggie. Has stashing Barber all this time helped ? Mayb he'll become adequate going forward. I have not been overly impressed with many we stash away and hope to develop to be honest.

MJZiggy
10-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Meredith ? Attitude Concers and very far away. Losing him is no biggie. Has stashing Barber all this time helped ? Mayb he'll become adequate going forward. I have not been overly impressed with many we stash away and hope to develop to be honest.

Maybe they put Barbre on the field because they knew they couldn't stash him this year...

retailguy
10-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Maybe they put Barbre on the field because they knew they couldn't stash him this year...

If that's true, how is that a good thing? Each of them have talent, but colletively there have been too many with little experience. One new guy, sure, but 3? Isn't that where the danger has been? These guys have learned from each other. No one with experience to say "don't do that, do this", except the coaches, and isn't their credibility a little questionable right now?

MJZiggy
10-03-2009, 10:43 AM

If that's true, how is that a good thing? Each of them have talent, but colletively there have been too many with little experience. One new guy, sure, but 3? Isn't that where the danger has been? These guys have learned from each other. No one with experience to say "don't do that, do this", except the coaches, and isn't their credibility a little questionable right now?

I wasn't trying to suggest it was good. But if you let all the kids walk away, you end up with old farts you can't replace. I think they need new ways to allow players to develop.

retailguy
10-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I wasn't trying to suggest it was good. But if you let all the kids walk away, you end up with old farts you can't replace. I think they need new ways to allow players to develop.

And here is the crux of my displeasure. I'm not against "young guys" pushing the old guys out, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. These old guys got pushed out BEFORE the young guys had a chance to push them out. Keeping a guy or two on "potential" is the way it is supposed to work, but keeping ALL backups except one on "potential" gives you problems when someone goes down with an injury.

Case in point.

MJZiggy
10-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Back to the original thread topic, I find it surprising that so many think Rodgers would go down this game, considering they're planning to play a few guys who are already injured. If Clifton plays on a tweaked sprain, you don't think he has more of a chance to wind up on a cart than a perfectly healthy Rodgers? :crazy:

pbmax
10-03-2009, 12:03 PM

And here is the crux of my displeasure. I'm not against "young guys" pushing the old guys out, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. These old guys got pushed out BEFORE the young guys had a chance to push them out. Keeping a guy or two on "potential" is the way it is supposed to work, but keeping ALL backups except one on "potential" gives you problems when someone goes down with an injury.

Case in point.
But in this day and age, this argument is circular. You cannot keep a complete set of good performing vets because they cost a premium. Especially true as starters but even less of a value as backups. Forgetting for the moment the top seven draft picks, these guys are ridiculously expensive. Think of the contracts Wahle, Rivera, Hutchinson and Kendall got at Guard. No team gets to keep the vets until the kids are ready. That was football from 1950 until 1991. All you need to do is look at Sherman's roster prior to Thompson to see what happens when you keep average vets at maximum cost.

Now go look at the list of available vets from this year. Are Pork Chop Womack or Olando Pace performing better than Colledge, Spitz or Barbre? No. But even if Pace is marginally better at Left Tackle, he is twice the cost. If they are performing clear and above the starters on our line, they are making an even larger mint. What sense does it make to backup your starters with players of similar talent for twice the cost?

I think the one position for which this criticism is fair is Left Tackle. At the end of camp it was clear they had no backup here and the possible future LT was vulnerable on the Practice Squad unready to play this year.