PDA

View Full Version : "SCREEN PASS NEGLECTED UNDER MM"

Bretsky
10-03-2009, 08:26 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/63359662.html

Interesting article that has been discussed in here as well

If our youngyan OL group is going to get torn up in multiple games this season, it would seem wise to develop some effective screens

Fred's Slacks
10-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Not to defend M3 as I think we've always been a terrible screen team under him but I think it's difficult to run screens when the defense is always sitting back with 7 in coverage. If our line was good enough to protect against a 4 man rush and opposing teams needed to blitz to bring pressure, then we might have more screen opportunities.

pbmax
10-03-2009, 09:00 AM
While I do not agree with the criticism about youth (Colledge and Spitz can hardly be considered young anymore after 3+ years in the league, Wells is a vet and Cliffy is ancient), this is probably another area of deficiency in our coaching of the O Line.

In and of itself, it doesn't mean much. Plenty of teams do not screen and succeed. It was not a part of Walsh's offense until other O coordinators got their hands on it. But along with other recurring problems, it points to O line coaching that has no clear area of expertise.

Bretsky
10-03-2009, 09:03 AM
While I do not agree with the criticism about youth (Colledge and Spitz can hardly be considered young anymore after 3+ years in the league, Wells is a vet and Cliffy is ancient), this is probably another area of deficiency in our coaching of the O Line.

In and of itself, it doesn't mean much. Plenty of teams do not screen and succeed. It was not a part of Walsh's offense until other O coordinators got their hands on it. But along with other recurring problems, it points to O line coaching that has no clear area of expertise.

I too would like a vet OL coach; on the other hand I haven't joined the wagon that it's mainly poor coaching either. If this OL continues to be subpar, to me it's on the GM

retailguy
10-03-2009, 09:09 AM
If this OL continues to be subpar, to me it's on the GM

:shock: Heresy.

Bretsky
10-03-2009, 09:23 AM

I'm still in the middle on TTT; anybody who has been around knows I've come a long long ways.

But his free pass only lasts so long in developing an average OL.

If the Packers win 9 or less games this year IMO it will be because of the deficiency of the OL. The Free Passes in getting this line to capable should be over

Time will teall

red
10-03-2009, 10:09 AM
we haven't had a decent o-line since tt gutted it when he first came here

and the thing that gets me is he almost treats the o-line as an after thought, throwing mid to late round picks at it hoping someone will work

my biggest fear is that TT and m3 think the line is just fine and doesn't need fixing. they sure act like it doesn't

if rodgers gets hurt because the o-line fails, then TT and m3 can both be shown the door for all i care

The Shadow
10-03-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't think you suddenly put high priority on practicing something you have mightily neglected.
Slants seem to me a better tool to roast the Vikings.

retailguy
10-03-2009, 05:59 PM

I'm still in the middle on TTT; anybody who has been around knows I've come a long long ways.

But his free pass only lasts so long in developing an average OL.

If the Packers win 9 or less games this year IMO it will be because of the deficiency of the OL. The Free Passes in getting this line to capable should be over

Time will teall

Ye of little faith. Ted is the greatest GM in the history of the sport.

Seriously, I think Ted has brought in good guys on the OL. Each of them are individually talented, and can play well, just not consistently.

I have no idea why, but I'm thinking about picking the lineman each week who is going to suck. Because there will be one. The others will play well. Then next week someone can tell me again that Barbre graded out as the "best" lineman again, just like last week. Meanwhile one of the other spots had a turnstile installed, and Rodgers will still be running for his life.

Fritz
10-03-2009, 06:37 PM
How do you know this? Every week, one guy will suck?

MJZiggy
10-03-2009, 06:44 PM

He's gonna owe me custard at the end of the season. I guess I better make that "us."

gbgary
10-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't think you suddenly put high priority on practicing something you have mightily neglected.

slants are few and far between the last two seasons.

retailguy
10-03-2009, 07:01 PM

Fritz, isn't that how it has been much of the past 3 years? Which lineman has been consistently good since we started this ZBS crap, and then moved away from it? So who's been "consistently" good?

I thought it was Tauscher, but he's gone now.

The Shadow
10-03-2009, 07:55 PM

slants are few and far between the last two seasons.

I disagree. We've used them a lot.

Lurker64
10-03-2009, 08:28 PM
A lot is made out of the fact that the superbowl era Packers were a great "screen team", and this current iteration of the Packers is not... but to be honest, how many NFL teams these days are great screen teams?

In a lot of ways, it seems like the evolution of NFL defenses and NFL defenders has somewhat obsoleted the screen pass except in a few situation. Perhaps I'm just missing something, but I watch a great number of football games and I don't see the conventional screen run to perfection very often, at least not for teams that lack a dynamic back.

Kiwon
10-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Just reminiscing a bit, the Packers used to KILL teams with the screen.....

Suit up Edgar Bennett again!

PlantPage55
10-03-2009, 09:54 PM

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/isnoggedharry/Barney.jpg

MJZiggy
10-03-2009, 09:55 PM

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/isnoggedharry/Barney.jpg

I know I haven't watched tv in a while, but I'm pretty sure that's not Edgar...

superfan
10-03-2009, 11:22 PM
A few years ago (back in the Ahman days) it seemed like GB ran almost too many screens and dumpoffs - especially on 3rd and 18. Those got old in a hurry.

I would like to see screens and dumpoffs brought back to a degree, but I don't think this is the week to do it. Defensively the Vikings generally just try to bring pressure with the front 4. The stat I saw was something like 22% blitz calls and in the bottom half of the league for that statistic - don't remember exactly.

If Slowik replaces Viking DC Leslie Frazier between now and Monday, then definitely run screens. Many, many screens. :lol:

Rastak
10-03-2009, 11:24 PM
A few years ago (back in the Ahman days) it seemed like GB ran almost too many screens and dumpoffs - especially on 3rd and 18. Those got old in a hurry.

I would like to see screens and dumpoffs brought back to a degree, but I don't think this is the week to do it. Defensively the Vikings generally just try to bring pressure with the front 4. The stat I saw was something like 22% blitz calls and in the bottom half of the league for that statistic - don't remember exactly.

If Slowik replaces Viking DC Leslie Frazier between now and Monday, then definitely run screens. Many, many screens. :lol:

Actually what I read from Kevin Seifert on ESPN they are actually pretty high up on the number of blitzes compared to the rest of the NFL.

They have generating quite a bit of pressure.

superfan
10-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Actually what I read from Kevin Seifert on ESPN they are actually pretty high up on the number of blitzes compared to the rest of the NFL.

Great, now I have to go dig for that link. :x :D

Rastak
10-03-2009, 11:40 PM

Great, now I have to go dig for that link. :x :D

I got it for ya Superfan...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/3981/have-at-it-blitz-effectiveness

superfan
10-03-2009, 11:41 PM
No wonder there are so many arguments on this board, even the "experts" can't seem to agree.

Seifert put together a decent article here:

According to his findings on "added pressure", Vikings are #4 in the NFL in blitz frequency at 45.36% of total plays, Packers are #6 at 44.12%. NFL average is 35.57%.

On the other hand, McGinn put the Vikings blitz percentage at "about 25%". Looks to me like Seifert put more effort into this, so I'll trust Seifert's findings in this case. I haven't watched enough Viking football to say whether they have been bringing much pressure or not.

Anyway - if the Vikings are obviously pinning their ears back, then I say yes, let's try a screen or two.

superfan
10-03-2009, 11:42 PM
I got it for ya Superfan...

Thank you sir!

Rastak
10-03-2009, 11:44 PM
No wonder there are so many arguments on this board, even the "experts" can't seem to agree.

Seifert put together a decent article here:

According to his findings on "added pressure", Vikings are #4 in the NFL in blitz frequency at 45.36% of total plays, Packers are #6 at 44.12%. NFL average is 35.57%.

On the other hand, McGinn put the Vikings blitz percentage at "about 25%". Looks to me like Seifert put more effort into this, so I'll trust Seifert's findings in this case. I haven't watched enough Viking football to say whether they have been bringing much pressure or not.

Anyway - if the Vikings are obviously pinning their ears back, then I say yes, let's try a screen or two.

My only issue with the Viking blitzes is that I wish they'd bring a bit more pressure off the edge....seems to me just eyeballing it they come up the middle a ton.

Fritz
10-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Wel with Wells in the middle that could work for the vikes.

rbaloha1
10-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Its unfortunate the screen game is not a bigger part of the offense. IMO the Pack possess athletic linemen and a coach skilled in screens (EB) to make it happen.